Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully something good comes from this meeting. I won't hold my breath though.

The GOP continues to be complete fuckwits when it comes to video games, per usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    White House Youtube channel uploaded a sizzle reel of videogame violence.

Heh, Trumpenfuehrer is upset that some Nazis in a video game got their skulls smashed in?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un extending invitation to meet with US President Donald Trump, official says
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un also offered to suspend nuclear missile testing, US official says

Buckle up buckaroos.
    Its obvious bait coming from NK to call out the US for not showing up or to lay out some BS if we do, but we're so awful at diplomacy right now that we've given NK the opportunity to lay the bait.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    'Chung says Kim committed to denuclearization, will refrain from future tests'

Makes you wonder what they have offered NK here.

Problem is American foreign policy is based on confrontation and not diplomacy. The Americans have been pretty bipolar towards NK, not alot of trust here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its obvious bait coming from NK to call out the US for not showing up or to lay out some BS if we do, but we're so awful at diplomacy right now that we've given NK the opportunity to lay the bait.
    Thats a pretty basic take. Chances are NK must have been offered something serious and are now courting Trumps ego.

10+ Year Old Account
    'Chung says Kim committed to denuclearization, will refrain from future tests'
    Wow. Way to go, South Korea. Really came through for us.

I guess the era for strategic patience is back, huh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Wow. Way to go, South Korea. Really came through for us.

I guess the era for strategic patience is back, huh?
    Alot of work from the Chinese as well, thier dual freeze plan has been ad hoc in place.

Jong un has got a good PR mind, there no commitment here hes just saying 'ill talk about it'. A great mix of propaganda and diplomacy here, no win until the nukes are dismanted though. NK saying that 'the exercies' will not piss them off and make them shoot missiles is a big gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    Didn't see that this was posted yet sooo
    Only the best collusions.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of work from the Chinese as well[
    I'd been thinking the Chinese would get involved, but, I didn't think they would get involved in NK's denuking.

As you said, this just the announcement of a meeting.

- - - Updated - - -

The House Oversight Committee demanded answers from Team Trump about how Porter got that far without a security clearance.

They refused to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    White House Youtube channel uploaded a sizzle reel of videogame violence.

Press Release:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXzU635XcAEPv0K.jpg
    Also, this guy is one of Trump's "experts" on video game violence:
    Quote Originally Posted by One of Trump's Video Game Experts Thinks Cops Are at War and Murder Makes You Horny
    In February, Trump suggested violent video games are partly to blame for mass shootings in America. He’s not alone. One of the experts the White House invited to its closed door meeting today to discuss the effect of violent video games is Dave Grossman, a retired US Army lieutenant colonel and author of the book Assassination Generation: Video Games, Aggression, and the Psychology of Killing. In Grossman’s mind, the media—and video games in particular—are training children to kill.

Assassination Generation is just one of Grossman’s many books. He travels the country training local law enforcement to normalize the act of killing. He once even told a crowd of police in Ohio that it would lead to the best sex of their lives.

One of Grossman’s seminars appears in the documentary Do Not Resist—a film about the militarization of police. In the movie, he described what happens when a cop gets home safe after killing someone.

“They all say, ‘the best sex I’ve had in months,’” Grossman says in the movie. “Both partners are very invested in some intense sex. There's not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it."

It’s not the only outlandish thing he’s said. The New Yorker put together a compilation from the same Ohio seminar here. “Maybe there was a day when a man was asking for an ass whooping, it was a cop's job to give it to him,” Grossman said to a crowd of law enforcement officers. It’s the same logic Trump used when he told a group of police not to worry about injuring suspects during an arrest.

At minute 11, in his three hour lecture called “Bulletproof Mind” , Grossman advocated arming school teachers. “Like Israel, Thailand has found out the only way you keep your schools open is armed teachers and armed parents in the school 24/7.”

“We are at war,” he said at the end of the seminar shown in the documentary Do Not Resist, speaking to police. “And you are on the frontline of that war. When they come to murder the children, the individuals who tried to disarm our cops will be hunted down. Across the nation they will be attacked, they will be spit on, they will be driven deep into their slimy little hole so that they never come out again. There ain't nobody in Russia complaining about the militarization of police."

If that sounds like dystopian vision of the future to you, you're not alone. Grossman's work inspired an episode of Black Mirror , according to show creator Charlie Brooker.

Other than training cops to be more efficient killers, Grossman also tours the country to lecture schools on why video games are the real cause of school massacres.

‘The guns have always been there,” Grossman told Loud Dobbs in a 2012 Fox segment. “The factor that was never there before is violent visual imagery inflicted upon children, particularly the video games.”.

“The only common denominator in all these tragic massacres that have plagued our country has been exposure to violent video games,” he wrote in an editorial for The Daily Beast.

And he’s one of the people Trump decided he wanted in the room with him when he confronted the video game industry about violent video games causing mass shootings. Also attending the meeting will be Senator Marco Rubio and representatives Vicky Hartzler and Martha Roby (no Democrats), Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick, Mike Gallagher of the Entertainment Software Association, Zenimax CEO Robert Altman, Brent Bozell of the Media Research Center (not fans of video games), president of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board Patricia Vance, and Melissa Hanson of Parents Television Council (also not fans of video games).
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-dave-grossman
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2018-03-09 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Also, this guy is one of Trump's "experts" on video game violence:
    Um...it's really hard to fault a Trump expert who says the police are being militarized, when Trump personally and directly called for passing military tech to police forces. He's right. You do have to give him that credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...it's really hard to fault a Trump expert who says the police are being militarized, when Trump personally and directly called for passing military tech to police forces. He's right. You do have to give him that credit.
    The police in America have been militarized for a long time, it didn't start with Trump. I haven't followed specifics so it's possible he's made things worse, but even back in the 2012 you had stupid shit like that small town getting an APC for their police to 'protect their pumpkin festival from terrorists'. It's not just the equipment either, it's the mentality of the police themselves and any number of bad policies eg 'War on Drugs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    The police in America have been militarized for a long time, it didn't start with Trump. I haven't followed specifics so it's possible he's made things worse, but even back in the 2012 you had stupid shit like that small town getting an APC for their police to 'protect their pumpkin festival from terrorists'. It's not just the equipment either, it's the mentality of the police themselves and any number of bad policies eg 'War on Drugs'.
    It's an actual slippery slope/feedback loop.

General populace has guns -> police needs better weaponry to protect themselves and police the general populace -> general populace then needs to get more and better weapons to prevent government/law enforcement overreach -> police needs even more military-grade weaponry to do their jobs

Gun nuts have been feeding into this civil arms race for decades, and passing it off as a necessity of the 2nd amendment and the modern "far-left terrorists are behind every corner"* society today.

*Standard fearmongering tactics
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    General populace has guns -> police needs better weaponry to protect themselves and police the general populace -> general populace then needs to get more and better weapons to prevent government/law enforcement overreach -> police needs even more military-grade weaponry to do their jobs
    I disagree with this heavily. A lot of the police arming is more of a "because we can" than a "because we need to". Surplus military equipment being given to police that don't need it is a big driver of this.

eg.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e87c0bda1e30

Looks like Russia tried to make a video game in an attempt to mess with voters more in the election.

CNN reports the game was also possibly a tool for tracking people’s behavior on social media masquerading as a browser game. The website looked designed to use the information it collected from players to later send small, targeted ads at them long after they’d left, at least based on the assessments of website programmers and cybersecurity experts the news outlet contacted for the story.

The policy of giving old military equipment to police for cheap was stopped under obama, largely because of things like towns getting things like APCs for no reason. It was revived under trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I disagree with this heavily. A lot of the police arming is more of a "because we can" than a "because we need to". Surplus military equipment being given to police that don't need it is a big driver of this.

eg.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e87c0bda1e30
    Don't misunderstand: when I say "need", I meant the gun nuts are bullshitting that the cops "need" the weaponry, not that I think they actually do.

Of course the police doesn't need fricken military grade weapons and whatnot to do their jobs, it's the pretext gun nuts use to justify profiting off the negative feedback loop they created.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't misunderstand: when I say "need", I meant the gun nuts are bullshitting that the cops "need" the weaponry, not that I think they actually do.

Of course the police doesn't need fricken military grade weapons and whatnot to do their jobs, it's the pretext gun nuts use to justify profiting off the negative feedback loop they created.
    Well it's a cycle, the gun nuts say they need powerful weapons to stop the government, and the government then needs more powerful weapons to stop the gun nuts, repeat.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well it's a cycle, the gun nuts say they need powerful weapons to stop the government, and the government then needs more powerful weapons to stop the gun nuts, repeat.
    Yeap, that was what I said earlier:

It's an actual slippery slope/feedback loop.

Gun nuts have been feeding into this civil arms race for decades, and passing it off as a necessity of the 2nd amendment and the modern "far-left terrorists are behind every corner"* society today.

*Standard fearmongering tactics
    It's such an egregious case of a self-fulfilling prophecy it's embarrassing people still fall for it to this very day. But then again, there's Trump and whoever voted for him.

Looks like the military parade will be happening this Veteran's Day, but will not contain any tanks to not damage the roads.

Can't believe we're spending money on something so useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Looks like the military parade will be happening this Veteran's Day, but will not contain any tanks to not damage the roads.

Can't believe we're spending money on something so useless.
    Oh thank God, don't want to needlessly waste tax payer dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!