Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I bet my left nut that when Trump loses in Nov we’re going to see several high profile acts of violence by right wing crazies.
    Even if he wins the Right will still commit violence or attempted violence. Remember the MAGABomber incident happened when the Republicans controlled all three branches of government.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what he actually does. I mean does he even have any authority to do any executive order or really do anything at all against social media without congress?

IDK much about twitter, but I assume their legal team went over this with a fine comb with their TOS to add they can fact check and if Trump agreed to that, which he has to do use the service, he's pretty SOL.
    He does not - at least that I can see. He's just throwing a fit and getting headlines and "doing something" - plus, pushing the entirely false narrative that social media silences conservative talking points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    And what did Pelosi's move accomplish?
    I wasn't under the impression it was supposed to accomplish anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    He does not - at least that I can see. He's just throwing a fit and getting headlines and "doing something" - plus, pushing the entirely false narrative that social media silences conservative talking points.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't under the impression it was supposed to accomplish anything.
    Sounds about right, have people just talking about social media and it's censorship instead of the 100k+ deaths that happened under his watch.

The problem with threatening an international internet company.

"This is an invitation to move to Germany!" Thomas Jarzombek, Berlin's point person for the startup economy, tweeted on Thursday.

"Here you are free to criticize the government as well as to fight fake news. We have a great startup and tech ecosystem, your company would be a perfect fit and I will open any doors for you!"
    That's from a country who has had a testy relationship with US multimedia companies over hateful content on their sites. Show you how every countries in the world want a Twitter, or Google or FB headquartered in their backyard. The economic benefits far outweigh all other considerations.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Sounds about right, have people just talking about social media and it's censorship instead of the 100k+ deaths that happened under his watch.
    The one issue I have with calling Trump a complete fucking idiotic moron, is that he seems to be the master of distraction and issue suffocation - to the point where each and every horror he unleashes on the country and world, which happens on an almost daily basis, is just another tick of the counter - and we can't do anything about it anymore. I'm not sure him shooting someone in Times Square would garner much more media attention, or carry through any longer news cycle.

Not sure if that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The problem with threatening an international internet company.

That's from a country who has had a testy relationship with US multimedia companies over hateful content on their sites. Show you how every countries in the world want a Twitter, or Google or FB headquartered in their backyard. The economic benefits far outweigh all other considerations.
    Holy shit - do you think any of the big social media companies would consider that kind of move?

Agreed. I know Twitter probably won't, but it would be hysterical if this was the catalyst for Twitter enforcing their ToU on "world leaders". Seeing Trump banned would be monumentally hysterical. He might actually stroke out.

He is so fucking stupid he does not understand that an executive order like this would hurt his followers the most.

Things like Reddit would immediately have to stop the MASSIVE BIGLY moderation of /R TheDonald….
    Twitter would be held responsible for Trumps liable/attacks/bigotry...they would just kick him off

Web sites would be forced to get rid of anonymous posting, thus 85-95% of the trumpheads would be forced back in their holes where they belong.

This would kill about 99.5% of all the "internet free speech" conservative outlets/forums/social media sites. They already were forced to start heavy moderation of post because of all the illegal activities on the sites.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It didn't diminish her because she did it, it diminished her because she did it in the most upper class snob way possible. She should've crumbled it it and threw it on the floor, but no, she neatly tore it in half and placed it on the table.
    I disagree. She did it in a very classy way, and made a very solid, enormously public point, and retained the dignity of the office.

Then why do it?
    To make a statement, of course. A political statement. The statement was the point: Donald Trump's words are worthless.

It didn't diminish her because she did it, it diminished her because she did it in the most upper class snob way possible. She should've crumbled it it and threw it on the floor, but no, she neatly tore it in half and placed it on the table.
    She tore up the speech...snobbily? Mkay. Was she uppity when she did it, too?
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

So it's not that she did it, it's how she did it that's a problem?

Does that specific detail really matter that much?

7+ Year Old Account
    The one issue I have with calling Trump a complete fucking idiotic moron, is that he seems to be the master of distraction and issue suffocation - to the point where each and every horror he unleashes on the country and world, which happens on an almost daily basis, is just another tick of the counter - and we can't do anything about it anymore. I'm not sure him shooting someone in Times Square would garner much more media attention, or carry through any longer news cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit - do you think any of the big social media companies would consider that kind of move?
    I hope so. If I were Twitter, and there were any kinds of actual restrictions (as opposed to executive orders that mean nothing and aren't enforceable), I would not only move it to a democratic country, I would lay off every US employee in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    She tore up the speech...snobbily? Mkay. Was she uppity when she did it, too?
    Also, nasty.

They vote for Trump because they relate to someone with crude manners, someone that is not afraid of using stupid language to insult people they don't like. If you want to beat Trump, you need to have someone on your side lower themselves to the level of the yokels and start calling people names.
    You honestly think if Biden starts behaving like Trump, Trump's followers will abandon ship?

Like...seriously?

In what reality does that make any sense?

I mean, here's a good practical example: Cenk. He's a fucking idiot, and a loudmouthed, vulgar simpleton. He's very much a slightly less hateful version of Trump on the left, and campaigned as a hard leftist.

Guess how he performed in his attempt to win the CA25 special election? He got 6.6% of the primary vote and failed spectacularly to move onto the special election.

Why? Because while Trump's crude behavior is definitely part of his appeal to many people, that's not all that appeals to them in the slightest. And emulating that aspect alone won't gain a liberal any fans, especially in the Trump crowd, as they're not gonna buy into the liberal policy positions.

The closest you'll see are the economic populists that shifted to Sanders briefly during the Primary, but they're a hyper-minority and there remain questions about the sincerity of their "flip" as they never had to put their money where their mouth was.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I hope so. If I were Twitter, and there were any kinds of actual restrictions (as opposed to executive orders that mean nothing and aren't enforceable), I would not only move it to a democratic country, I would lay off every US employee in the process.
    As with most things, the only thing that's going to matter is "will this make us mire money?" If they had any integrity Trump's conspiracy theories would have been better moderated to begin with.

Not Biden. Someone else on the democrat side though.
    Who, then?

Who will be "conservative" enough for them without completely abandoning the principles of the Democratic party, liberalism, or progressivism?

Not Biden. Someone else on the democrat side though.
    Of all the things I hope Trump hasn't broken/tarnished it would be ultimate prestige the Office of the President carries. Please don't let politics devolve into lowest common denominator candidates. Maybe it started with Bill Clinton and playing a saxophone on Arsenio Hall or "Bush Jr. is someone I could see having a beer with" being the determining factor.

The President should represent the best of us. I would hope the next President would be someone smarter than me. Unfortunately the Right has turned intelligence into a negative and Trump is the result.

- - - Updated - - -

Not likely. Twitter would likely consider moving its HQ out of US. However, it would never consider moving its HQ out of SF. So they are stuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, we've reached the scintillating peak of Bernie Bro discourse; complaining that Pelosi tore up a speech in a way that was too bougie.

I'd say to go the fuck outside but, don't. There's a plague on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Of all the things I hope Trump hasn't broken/tarnished it would be ultimate prestige the Office of the President carries. Please don't let politics devolve into lowest common denominator candidates. Maybe it started with Bill Clinton and playing a saxophone on Arsenio Hall or "Bush Jr. is someone I could see having a beer with" being the determining factor.

The President should represent the best of us. I would hope the next President would be someone smarter than me. Unfortunately the Right has turned intelligence into a negative and Trump is the result.
    He makes Beavis and Butthead look like Stephen Hawking in comparison.

Are people really whining that Pelosi didn't tear up a speech in the way that they wanted her to?

Jesus Christ, we've reached full horseshoe.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Jesus christ, this is the stupid shit McEnany is rambling on about today about 112% of the LA population being registered to vote.

Fucking Judicial Watch bullshit and misinformation literally debunked years ago.

Fuck this Karen and her lying vocal chords.