10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Given how many in the GOP had flat refused to vote for anything more for relief I find it really dubious they even get 50 votes.
    That would defy the message the Party of Trump is trying to send. They can't demonize the Democrats, which yes is already requiring ignoring facts and history, if they can't get to 50 votes. This will be a case where people vote "yes" knowing full well it won't pass anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That would defy the message the Party of Trump is trying to send. They can't demonize the Democrats, which yes is already requiring ignoring facts and history, if they can't get to 50 votes. This will be a case where people vote "yes" knowing full well it won't pass anyhow.
    I am not very sure about that. It still puts the tea party folks voting yes for another trillion + of debt and a lot of them are saying no to anything at this point. Maybe mitch can wrangle them but I think its 50/50 that this falls apart before making it to vote.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So let's talk about Donald Trump Jr's new book.

Donald Trump Jr., out Tuesday with "Liberal Privilege: Joe Biden and the Democrats' Defense of the Indefensible," told Axios he self-published because his massive social channels — 5.5 million Twitter followers, 3.4 million Instagram followers — give him a distribution edge that allows him to keep full control and profits.

"You're not beholden to someone else," Trump said from New York after signing 100 copies at Barnes & Noble on Fifth Avenue. "I'm actually probably at an advantage."

He estimated that about 75% of his bestseller "Triggered" moved online.
    "You're not beholden to someone else" sounds like code for "nobody wanted to publish it". But I suppose he could be telling the truth, that it's just pure greed.

Incidentally, if every single Twitter follower and every single Instagram follower were different people, and if every single one bought the book, Michelle Obama would still outsell him. And that's with or without the copies the TNC bought to give away -- which Obama didn't have to do.

Oh, right, the TNC directly handed money over to Trump's family, who just admitted they were keeping most of it. That's neat.

"How many were sold?"

Well, as of last year, Obama's book had sold over 10 million copies. It was the best-selling book of 2018.

I'm honestly having trouble locking down the number sold for Don Jr's book. Even the NYT took issue with it, putting an asterisk next to its name due to the number of bulk sales. I do know Don Jr's book was knocked off the best-seller list in about three weeks by "A Warning" the book by Anonymous. And from professional experience, I know that book sales are often tracked by the publishers of the book...which Don Jr. doesn't have.
    One of my favorite parts of Donnie Dumb Dumb Jr's book, is the typo in the title. Only the bestliest people editing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I am not very sure about that. It still puts the tea party folks voting yes for another trillion + of debt and a lot of them are saying no to anything at this point. Maybe mitch can wrangle them but I think its 50/50 that this falls apart before making it to vote.
    Well, we'll find out soon enough, I guess. There's a nearly zero chance of 60, in any event.

- - - Updated - - -

Reports are emerging that Trump had "mini strokes" (god I hate that description, any stroke is a big deal for fuck's sake) that sent him to Walter Reed that one time.

"How credible are these reports?"

Credible enough that Trump personally responded to them.

Of course, there's the other side, namely, that Trump can't stay on topic or speak coherently for a reason other than a stroke.

Well, we'll find out soon enough, I guess. There's a nearly zero chance of 60, in any event.

- - - Updated - - -

Reports are emerging that Trump had "mini strokes" (god I hate that description, any stroke is a big deal for fuck's sake) that sent him to Walter Reed that one time.

"How credible are these reports?"

Credible enough that Trump personally responded to them.

Of course, there's the other side, namely, that Trump can't stay on topic or speak coherently for a reason other than a stroke.
    I bet $100, he says he didn't have mini strokes because he thinks that means masturbation.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    One of my favorite parts of Donnie Dumb Dumb Jr's book, is the typo in the title. Only the bestliest people editing.
    I was wondering what you were talking about because the post you quoted actually corrected the title. The original title had it Democrat's, but it looks like it's been corrected when you try to buy it.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-09-01 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I bet $100, he says he didn't have mini strokes because he thinks that means masturbation.
    Or that he thinks they are implying he has tiny hands. I have HUUUUGE strokes the biggest strokes ever.

a stroke would explain the problems he's been having

I just assumed the adderall snorting was catching up to him

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I was wondering what you were talking about because the post you quoted actually corrected the title. The original title had it Democrat's, but it looks like it's been corrected when you try to buy it.
    Yeah, it is correct now, of course - but the dust jacket cover isn't, or wasn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...rophe-in-title

Not a big deal, but just one more item on the heap of their assault on intelligence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    a stroke would explain the problems he's been having

I just assumed the adderall snorting was catching up to him
    It would. Especially a series of mini-strokes. The trouble walking. The glass of water issue. His inability to even read a script anymore.

https://www.newsweek.com/anonymous-l...-their-1528916

Trump's America, complete with anonymous citizens threatening mass murder against people of Indian and Chinese decent for stealing IT jobs.

I'm genuinely surprised that they're not blaming Mexicans as is their usual MO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/anonymous-l...-their-1528916

Trump's America, complete with anonymous citizens threatening mass murder against people of Indian and Chinese decent for stealing IT jobs.

I'm genuinely surprised that they're not blaming Mexicans as is their usual MO.
    Because US does not have the infrastructure to support those jobs. India, China and Poland are outsourcing hubs, because IT education happens before college. The jobs that require a degree in US for those jobs, are HS graduates in those countries.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I'm very interested in seeing if they actually try to include anything that people who are struggling care about, but given their "focus on getting people back to work/school" spoiler, I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been talking about him having a stroke for months...

._.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I've been talking about him having a stroke for months...

._.
    It's been the most common/popular theory about his surprise visit.

I'm very amused by his oddly specific denial of a series of mini-strokes, something which I don't believe was made public from the book yet. Either he got an advanced copy somehow (doubtful) or... It's just a weirdly specific denial >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's been the most common/popular theory about his surprise visit.

I'm very amused by his oddly specific denial of a series of mini-strokes, something which I don't believe was made public from the book yet. Either he got an advanced copy somehow (doubtful) or... It's just a weirdly specific denial >.>
    I had that same thought. All of the takes I'd read about it mentioned a stroke, but absolutely nobody was saying "mini-strokes" that I noticed. Oopsie.

The president told Chris Wallace in a Fox News Interview on July 19: “We’re signing a health care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health care plan that the Supreme Court decision on DACA gave me the right to do.”

A few weeks later, he amended that statement. “We’re going to be introducing a tremendous health care plan sometime, hopefully, prior to end of the month,” Trump said during a news conference at the White House in early August, adding: “It’s just about completed.”

That hasn’t happened.

The White House claims that could change soon but declined to offer any specifics.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...ussion-n988541

Reminder, that Donald Trump is largely ineffective at getting anything actually beneficial for the US people done.

Remember infrastructure week? I think we're 3 and a half years late on it, but I'm sure it'll be coming aaanannnnyyyyyy ddddaaaaaayyyyyyyy nnnnnoooooooowwwwwww.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Because US does not have the infrastructure to support those jobs. India, China and Poland are outsourcing hubs, because IT education happens before college. The jobs that require a degree in US for those jobs, are HS graduates in those countries.
    I wonder what would happen to Texas if every single person of Chinese and Indian ancestry leave the state. All the scientists, all the doctors, all their children which are generally the top students at Texas schools.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-09-01 at 06:25 PM.

https://apnews.com/bae21d9b066e5469c0a914a283a0235b

Daniel McMahon, 32, of Brandon, Florida, pleaded guilty in April to using social media to threaten a Black activist to deter the man from running for office in Charlottesville, Virginia. McMahon also admitted that he threatened to sexually assault the young autistic daughter of a North Carolina woman who protested against white nationalists.
    Trump is enabling Floridaman. At least he was caught and will serve 3 and a half years for thinking it's cool to threaten people, including their autistic children, for protesting white nationlist.

What a very fine person, indeed.

I have to say it's pretty interesting seeing the Drudge Report suddenly getting critical of Trump. I didn't predict that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I have to say it's pretty interesting seeing the Drudge Report suddenly getting critical of Trump. I didn't predict that one.
    It's not quite new. Drudge has been critical of Trump periodically since 2016. He's a piece of shit, but he does have a few principles that he'll stand up for.