Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Does Trump not realise that pardoning someone negates their ability to plead the 5th? Lol.
    Is that so? That's awesome if he does this and ruins his chances even more.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Trump has made it very clear, that he will pardon anyone who supports him, no mater what they've done. I doubt Cohen is in any real trouble.
    aint a lot of Cohen's stuff chargeable at the state level if the feds are for some reason, remiss in charging him?

Edit: and just read the 3 other people pointing this out

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    aint a lot of Cohen's stuff chargeable at the state level if the feds are for some reason, remiss in charging him?

Edit: and just read the 3 other people pointing this out
    Absolutely, yes.

ok honest questions, can trump give out blanket pardons without disclosing what the actually crimes may have been and if he dose pardon someone does that stop mulluer from being aloud to investigate further or revealing his findings?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/sta...29961586077698

Ah, I'm glad that D'Souza is taking the news of his pardon with all the grace and humility we can expect from such a class act. Truly he deserved this pardon, truly.
    God watching some of the red hat replies in that thread is truly special. It's become clear that Trumpkins don't even care about the law or justice any more. They simply want to be on the #winning side, even if that means breaking the law and then being pardoned for it.

"LOL LIBS BE TRIGGERED, HE GOT PARDONNED AND HIS SLATE IS CLEAN!"

"He still committed a crime."

"DOESN'T MATTER, PARDON REMOVES ALL GUILT, EAT IT LIBCUCKZ!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what guys...I've had an epiphany of sorts. It was wrong of me to refer to Trump's more vocal supporters as "deplorables". They were right in that it presents an inaccurate picture of their motivations and mindset.

So in the spirit of bipartisan compromise, I propose we instead refer to our fellow citizens across the aisle as feckless cunts instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    ok honest questions, can trump give out blanket pardons without disclosing what the actually crimes may have been
    yes, he can, the presidential pardon is borderline absolute, mostly cause people back then thought a feeling of shame would prevent any egregious abuses

if he dose pardon someone does that stop mulluer from being aloud to investigate further or revealing his findings?
    depends on how wide Rosenstien(sp?) is willing say the guidelines he set are

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You know what guys...I've had an epiphany of sorts. It was wrong of me to refer to Trump's more vocal supporters as "deplorables". They were right in that it presents an inaccurate picture of their motivations and mindset.

So in the spirit of bipartisan compromise, I propose we instead refer to our fellow citizens across the aisle as feckless cunts instead.
    How about traitors? I always felt that got it more to the point and hurts the American soul deeper.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

ok honest questions, can trump give out blanket pardons without disclosing what the actually crimes may have been
    Yes. Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon for any and all crimes he may have committed. It's questionable whether this was a good decision, since it basically destroyed his political capital for the remainder of his time in office.

and if he dose pardon someone does that stop mulluer from being aloud to investigate further or revealing his findings?
    Absolutely not. In fact, it probably helps Mueller because you can't invoke the fifth amendment with regards to a crime you've been pardoned for. Since you cannot legally incriminate yourself (you've already been pardoned for the crime you would be admitting to), you can be compelled to testify,

yes, he can, the presidential pardon is borderline absolute, mostly cause people back then thought a feeling of shame would prevent any egregious abuses

depends on how wide Rosenstien(sp?) is willing say the guidelines he set are
    what i mean is can he say "i pardon anyone in my campaign for any crime they may have committed in regards to Russia" or dose he have to list specific people and crimes, lie "i pardon jim for X" ?

what i mean is can he say "i pardon anyone in my campaign for any crime they may have committed in regards to Russia" or dose he have to list specific people and crimes, lie "i pardon jim for X" ?
    He has to list specific people, but they can be blanket pardons for anything they might have done.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    He has to list specific people, but they can be blanket pardons for anything they might have done.
    thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you.
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_4311

that was Ford's Pardon to Nixon,

Nixon that at the time hadn't been charged, and this is the messed up part
    NOW, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

if we found out Nixon had done anything else, that pardon cover it if it was in that 5 year block

THATS how wide the power of the pardon is

10+ Year Old Account
    ok honest questions, can trump give out blanket pardons without disclosing what the actually crimes may have been and if he dose pardon someone does that stop mulluer from being aloud to investigate further or revealing his findings?
    What you're describing is obstruction of justice.

It would be the very last thing Trump would do in the Oval Office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    What you're describing is obstruction of justice.

It would be the very last thing Trump would do in the Oval Office.
    Unlikely, the GOP wouldn't move against him, even if Lincoln came out of his grave and whooped their asses. Spineless mollusks to the last of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. Ford did it, but no one tried challenging it in court, so we don't have a definitive ruling on whether it was legal or not.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_4311

that was Ford's Pardon to Nixon,

Nixon that at the time hadn't been charged, and this is the messed up part

if we found out Nixon had done anything else, that pardon cover it if it was in that 5 year block

THATS how wide the power of the pardon is
    Can anyone here explain to me why a pardon needs to exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Can anyone here explain to me why a pardon needs to exist?
    Alexander Hamilton's explanation can be found in The Federalist 74:

Humanity and good policy conspire to dictate, that the benign prerogative of pardoning should be as little as possible fettered or embarrassed. The criminal code of every country partakes so much of necessary severity, that without an easy access to exceptions in favor of unfortunate guilt, justice would wear a countenance too sanguinary and cruel. As the sense of responsibility is always strongest, in proportion as it is undivided, it may be inferred that a single man would be most ready to attend to the force of those motives which might plead for a mitigation of the rigor of the law, and least apt to yield to considerations which were calculated to shelter a fit object of its vengeance. The reflection that the fate of a fellow-creature depended on his sole fiat, would naturally inspire scrupulousness and caution; the dread of being accused of weakness or connivance, would beget equal circumspection, though of a different kind. On the other hand, as men generally derive confidence from their numbers, they might often encourage each other in an act of obduracy, and might be less sensible to the apprehension of suspicion or censure for an injudicious or affected clemency. On these accounts, one man appears to be a more eligible dispenser of the mercy of government, than a body of men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump and the DoE are prepping a plan to force electrical providers to buy electricity from coal and nuclear plants.

"You already posted that."

No no, I posted the plan to force coal plants to buy 90 days of extra coal to just have, lying around, being a massive fire hazard. This is different. This is use of emergency authority.

"What's the emergency?"

Market forces. Coal remains economically unviable. But the pretense is forcing closing/announced-closing coal plants to stay open long enough to have a two-year federal study on maximizing energy and preventing disasters.

"Preventing disasters...by forcing nuclear and coal plants to stay open? The two plants most likely to be a problem?"

The 41-page memo on the subject includes the line "Too many of these fuel-secure plants have retired prematurely and many more have recently announced retirement" which I assume was kept out of the public for a blatantly obvious reason.

"I mean, it's not like coal fits through a pipeline, they have to keep it somewhere -- "

As a reminder, Trump promised to lower federal regulations. Now he's forcing coal plants to remain open, even if the coal plant itself has given up, regardless of what market forces say.

Unrelated story: Trump took a break from a fund raiser trip to Texas to talk with the shooting victims/their surviving family members. While one parent -- and army vet herself -- referred to it as "like talking with a toddler" Trump did promise big change was coming.

Well, start the clock. Can't wait to see what those big changes are.

Unrelated unrelated story: the Governor of Puerto Rico seemed livid at the idea that the official death toll -- the one Trump fucking bragged about on live TV -- was being held low/back.

"If it's true, Anderson, there will be hell to pay, because I really want this to be very transparent," Rosselló told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an interview. "I want the truth to come out. That's the bottom line. And I want us to learn from this tragedy."

Maria caused some $90 billion in damage, making it the third costliest tropical cyclone in the U.S. since 1900, according to the Harvard study.

Rosselló said that he was "shocked" to hear that territory officials had withheld the data, noting that he had signed an executive order intended to facilitate the release of the information.

The Puerto Rican government has also hired George Washington University to conduct an assessment of the death toll from Maria. The results of that study were due out in the spring, but have since been delayed.

Rosselló acknowledged that "the best data was not available" to researchers, and said that that was why the George Washington University study had taken longer than expected.

"We expected to have a phase one analysis here by May 22, but of course, data has been hard to come by with respect to that," he said.
    Death toll from the Harvard study is over 4,600 -- double Katrina -- and well above the 64 Trump bragged about.

To be fair, the 64 was probably only the white people who died. You know, the only ones he cares about.