10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's a no win situation for the GOP: either they vote against Trump, or they vote against the military.
    One could make the argument that it's easy for a Republican, but no-win for the Party of Trump.

But...yeah, we don't have a lot of Republicans left, do we?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I feel, this above most things, is one of the leading reasons why a lot of the Super-Pro Trump posters here have kinda just... scuttled? Like yeah you still have Conservatives/Contrarians in other threads, but the amount of directly defending and supporting Trump himself had begun dwindling when the guy's moral grandstanding proved to be wholly unreliable.

Like it's hard to support his rhetoric when he goes back on it within the next 72 hours, or what he doesn't clarify himself on sounds so appalling that they need to anoint themselves as translators to make people think he's not evil or stupid. At some point I figured the charade got too exhausting to keep up with - for genuine believers and trolls both - so they just don't bother to anymore.
    It’s just being too shamed to show your face again... Like that dude who has updated his signature every year, to point an arrow at a crying liberal meme, forecasting it’s going to continue with Trump winning. What are they going to do? Return with the same signature? Remove it or update it for Biden? They went too deep...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

there are some 62 NV's yet for democrats and they need like just 20 more yay's or so if my head math is right, so this is gonna get over ridden, now just need 67 senators.

AOC just voted not to over ride....

edit- and passed my head math number so over-ridden. now on to the senate republicans.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2020-12-28 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    there are some 62 NV's yet for democrats and they need like just 20 more yay's or so if my head math is right, so this is gonna get over ridden, now just need 67 senators.

AOC just voted not to over ride....
    1) It's not that they need 67 Senators. They have 84. Trump needs 18 Senators to change their mind, in public, and screw the military in public.

2) Didn't AOC vote against the NDAA originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    1) It's not that they need 67 Senators. They have 84. Trump needs 18 Senators to change their mind, in public, and screw the military in public.

2) Didn't AOC vote against the NDAA originally?
    I think so? not sure but wouldn't surprise me. And you are right it'll be interesting to see if they can get 18.

10+ Year Old Account
    This OP ED piece lists four reasons Trump vetoed the NDAA.

1) It would make China "very unhappy" to veto it.

"How?"

He didn't specifiy.

2) Section 230, we've discussed that already. It has no military relationship in any way.

3) To protect "National Monuments" also known as US military based named after Confederates, aka "traitors who tried to overthrow the government".

4) To remove troops from countries that don't appreciate us. Aww. Someone needs a hug. Probably hasn't had one in a while because he's so fucking fat. Wait, can't he do that on his own? Hasn't he dones this on his own?

Trump holding the military hostage isn't exactly new. I think it's worth pointing out he's doing it yet again. Why do Trump supporters hate the troops so much? I'd ask them, but they've all vanished.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump's favorite paper has abandoned him.

We understand, Mr. President, that you’re angry that you lost. But to continue down this road is ruinous. We offer this as a newspaper that endorsed you, that supported you: If you want to cement your influence, even set the stage for a future return, you must channel your fury into something more productive.

If you insist on spending your final days in office threatening to burn it all down, that will be how you are remembered. Not as a revolutionary, but as the anarchist holding the match.

This is the part where the united states lucked out. The Cult leader that threatened to take it over is simply not that smart. Yes he had to strategically make a fight about his loss, its the kind of man he was elected to be and i get that. He should have stuck to surface stuff, get his supporter in DC and whine on Jan 6, its all part of the smart plan to keep the base and throw as much shade on the election as possible. While despicable is how he can be reelected too. Going for the bills was dumb, very dumb.

But i dont 100% agree with the new york post here. Going out kicking and screaming is what a good majority of his voters feel they deserve from their cult leader. But like i said its like covid, he went the dumb way about it. He needed the public debates to keep on the surface stuff, so going for election frauds, etc, is 100% the good strat. Going after tengible stuff like bills, is dumb, because it has real effect on voters, including his voters. Trump was never playing 4D chest, he was always playing checkers and thats pretty fortunate. If he was playing 4D chest, this election would have been in the fucking bag considering who he ran against and how the United state is a fucking social mess.

A pandemic, saved you 4 years.... thats pretty fucking wild when you think about it.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2020-12-29 at 01:08 AM.

186,296 new cases and 1,966 deaths, bringing the total to 343,182. Levels--and testing--are beginning to approach what they were before the holidays began (deaths are just about equal to what they were last Monday)--just in time to be disrupted again by the New Year celebrations.

Given how much worldometers has been redistributing retroactively I have to assume the numbers from JH have been fairly ugly. I anticipate that things will continue to be a mess until the middle/end of next week. We might end up with a day or two of clarity before New Year's Eve, but again I suspect numbers will be lower than reality because of sporadic testing.

Related news:

Holiday travel increases fear of coronavirus surge

Biden adviser warns of 'worst' January ever from post-Christmas Covid surge

Lawmakers 'relieved' Trump signed Covid relief bill his team negotiated

The titles are all pretty self-explanatory.

Stay safe, folks.

So what is Trump thinking here (if he is thinking.)

Trying to blackmail the military by denying them their pay unless they support his coup?

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    186,296 new cases and 1,966 deaths, bringing the total to 343,182. Levels--and testing--are beginning to approach what they were before the holidays began (deaths are just about equal to what they were last Monday)--just in time to be disrupted again by the New Year celebrations.

Given how much worldometers has been redistributing retroactively I have to assume the numbers from JH have been fairly ugly. I anticipate that things will continue to be a mess until the middle/end of next week. We might end up with a day or two of clarity before New Year's Eve, but again I suspect numbers will be lower than reality because of sporadic testing.

Related news:

Holiday travel increases fear of coronavirus surge

Biden adviser warns of 'worst' January ever from post-Christmas Covid surge

Lawmakers 'relieved' Trump signed Covid relief bill his team negotiated

The titles are all pretty self-explanatory.

Stay safe, folks.
    This is an excerpt from the Biden adviser warns of worst January ever from post Christmas surge article.

Despite the rollout of two new vaccines, the pandemic is accelerating and the United States should brace itself for “one of the worst months in this nation’s history in January,” one of President-elect Joe Biden’s top Covid-19 advisers warned Monday.

“There is no doubt about that,” the expert, Dr. Celine Gounder, said on CNBC. “That cake is in the oven already, with the travel that has happened over the holidays.”

That dire warning came as the number of Covid-19 infections rose past 19.2 million after Christmas and the number of deaths from coronavirus neared 334,000, the latest NBC News data showed.

Gounder, a member of the Biden’s Covid-19 advisory board, described a nightmarish scenario in which local health officials are forced to erect field hospitals because hallways and even some parking lots are already packed with sick patients.

And an even bigger crisis, Gounder said, will be finding enough doctors and nurses to treat everybody.

“You can't stand up new doctors and nurses the way you can field hospitals,” Gounder said. “You can't just create them out of thin air.”
    I am happy to see this link. In 3 weeks the virus will be Biden's problem. From the standpoint of the Presidency, the virus is a preexisting problem that he is brought on to try and fix. He needs to fix the problem, but he also needs to do what it takes to avoid being blamed for Trump's incompetence, indifference, and corruption.

Articles like the following one are almost written for the purpose of spreading the virus around as much as possible.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wonde...213441441.html

Title: Analyst: 'Wonder Woman 1984' shows consumers eager to head back to the movies despite streaming threat

Excerpts:

“Wonder Woman 1984” (T) is giving theater chains a much needed boost of confidence.

The sequel, which debuted in approximately 2,150 theater locations across the U.S. on Christmas day but received lackluster viewer reviews, grossed $16.7 million domestically in its opening weekend — far exceeding expectations.
    Basically the article is gushing about the huge number of people that were willing to go to theaters to watch Wonder Woman, which is one of the best ways to spread the virus. Biden can't stop the media from normalizing behavior that is so harmful to the US - including to the US economy since it seems that pandemics reduce economic growth, and he can't stop people from going to the movies.

But in today's political world, he absolutely has to take actions to minimize how much of the blame is put on him. By March, Trump will be a footnote, and all the talk will be about the Biden administration. He has to walk the walk - do what he can do to overcome the virus - and he also has to talk the talk.

This article and interview are an excellent start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Trying to blackmail the military by denying them their pay unless they support his coup?
    I honestly don't know what % of US military would engage in a history-making coup because they were missing two paychecks, if they would even miss those (some government agencies issue paychecks after the working period, for example being paid in July for work in June) before Biden takes his legally-elected position and immediately signs everything.

Trump holding military pay hostage so they engage in a coup is like telling the bank manager he can keep $5,000 of the millions you stole if he starts shooting the cops with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of hostages: Sen. Bernie Sanders threatens to drag out the veto override of the NDAA unless the Senate also agrees to vote on the $2,000 stimulus payments.

I...don't know what to think about this. Yes, I'm sure Sanders knows McConnell doesn't want to vote on $2,000 stimulus payments, because it might pass. Yes, the NDAA is important and can stand on its own. This feels like one of those Lawful Good vs. Chaotic Good struggles where I'd be okay either way but really wish they'd just defeat the demon lord without the drama.

I honestly don't know what % of US military would engage in a history-making coup because they were missing two paychecks, if they would even miss those (some government agencies issue paychecks after the working period, for example being paid in July for work in June) before Biden takes his legally-elected position and immediately signs everything.

Trump holding military pay hostage so they engage in a coup is like telling the bank manager he can keep $5,000 of the millions you stole if he starts shooting the cops with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of hostages: Sen. Bernie Sanders threatens to drag out the veto override of the NDAA unless the Senate also agrees to vote on the $2,000 stimulus payments.

I...don't know what to think about this. Yes, I'm sure Sanders knows McConnell doesn't want to vote on $2,000 stimulus payments, because it might pass. Yes, the NDAA is important and can stand on its own. This feels like one of those Lawful Good vs. Chaotic Good struggles where I'd be okay either way but really wish they'd just defeat the demon lord without the drama.
    Me too. Unfortunately, defeating the demon lord without the drama is not one of the choices. We live in chaotic times. And more than ever, the only thing that people respond to is playing absolute hardball, and who has the leverage and power to win their battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This is an excerpt from the Biden adviser warns of worst January ever from post Christmas surge article.

I am happy to see this link. In 3 weeks the virus will be Biden's problem. From the standpoint of the Presidency, the virus is a preexisting problem that he is brought on to try and fix. He needs to fix the problem, but he also needs to do what it takes to avoid being blamed for Trump's incompetence, indifference, and corruption.

Articles like the following one are almost written for the purpose of spreading the virus around as much as possible.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wonde...213441441.html

Title: Analyst: 'Wonder Woman 1984' shows consumers eager to head back to the movies despite streaming threat

Excerpts:

Basically the article is gushing about the huge number of people that were willing to go to theaters to watch Wonder Woman, which is one of the best ways to spread the virus. Biden can't stop the media from normalizing behavior that is so harmful to the US - including to the US economy since it seems that pandemics reduce economic growth, and he can't stop people from going to the movies.

But in today's political world, he absolutely has to take actions to minimize how much of the blame is put on him. By March, Trump will be a footnote, and all the talk will be about the Biden administration. He has to walk the walk - do what he can do to overcome the virus - and he also has to talk the talk.

This article and interview are an excellent start.
    The hope is that Biden, with an actual plan in place, can at least start distributing the vaccine swiftly and effectively as well as prioritize creating more of it as well as calling attention to its necessity. Trump has provided zero leadership on this front.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-12-29 at 05:02 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The hope is that Biden, with an actual plan in place, can at least start distributing the vaccine swiftly and effectively as well as prioritize creating more of it as well as calling attention to its necessity. Trump has provided zero leadership on this front.
    Agreed.

My only complaint with your post is: I sure hope that Biden's main campaign slogan for the 2022 elections is something better than "at least I was better than Trump!".

I am completely confident in Biden and his team doing exactly the correct stuff in order to eradicate the virus as quickly and efficiently as possible. OK maybe eradicate is too strong a word, that might not be possible. Maybe we'll have to take annual vaccines to guard against new mutations that will be quite deadly for those that refuse to take the vaccine.

Complete and total confidence.

I am less confident of his ability to talk the talk. If he gets all the work done behind the scenes and makes it look easy, then the narrative for the 2022 election would be that Trump was right all along, democrats were evil and stupid and anti-American for all the restrictions they imposed upon freedom loving Americans, and now it's time to vote in a full set of republican candidates to fix what democrats broke over the last 2 years. This would continue the pattern of republicans break things, democrats get voted in, clean up the mess, then get blamed for some of the costs of fixing the problem, rinse and repeat.

It is important for Biden to walk the walk - that is making the virus at least manageable and stabilizing the economy. He also needs to talk the talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Agreed.

My only complaint with your post is: I sure hope that Biden's main campaign slogan for the 2022 elections is something better than "at least I was better than Trump!".

I am completely confident in Biden and his team doing exactly the correct stuff in order to eradicate the virus as quickly and efficiently as possible. OK maybe eradicate is too strong a word, that might not be possible. Maybe we'll have to take annual vaccines to guard against new mutations that will be quite deadly for those that refuse to take the vaccine.

Complete and total confidence.

I am less confident of his ability to talk the talk. If he gets all the work done behind the scenes and makes it look easy, then the narrative for the 2022 election would be that Trump was right all along, democrats were evil and stupid and anti-American for all the restrictions they imposed upon freedom loving Americans, and now it's time to vote in a full set of republican candidates to fix what democrats broke over the last 2 years. This would continue the pattern of republicans break things, democrats get voted in, clean up the mess, then get blamed for some of the costs of fixing the problem, rinse and repeat.

It is important for Biden to walk the walk - that is making the virus at least manageable and stabilizing the economy. He also needs to talk the talk.
    I think Biden can make pretty solid arguments by saying something to the effect of "Trump did A, B and C to fuck up X, Y and Z while he was president... And the GOP did nothing but stand by and let it happen." Biden should focus on the failings of the GOP, as well as the hopeful successes of his presidency.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think Biden can make pretty solid arguments by saying something to the effect of "Trump did A, B and C to fuck up X, Y and Z while he was president... And the GOP did nothing but stand by and let it happen." Biden should focus on the failings of the GOP, as well as the hopeful successes of his presidency.
    Absolutely. It sounds so simple, yet apparently implementing it is not always so easy.

On a practical note, in many situations I have noticed that the people doing work, and the people getting credit for work getting done, are not always the same people. This is a time when this situation absolutely needs to be avoided.

And anything that was not done needs to be directed back to the republicans - they blocked me from helping you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump attacks his own party again because there is no loyalty to party, country, or the military. There is only loyalty to Trump.

Say goodbye to VITAL Section 230 termination, your National Monuments, Forts (names!) and Treasures (inserted by Elizabeth ‘Pocahontas’ Warren), 5G, and our great soldiers being removed and brought home from foreign lands who do NOTHING for us.
    "Wait, 5G was part of this?"

It's literally the first time it's come up in this bill. I mean, I guess I can see "don't allow hostile foreign powers to build our infrastructure" in a defense bill, but where was this demand when it was being negotiated? By his own people?

Trump attacks his own party again because there is no loyalty to party, country, or the military. There is only loyalty to Trump.
    For much like the mighty Space Marine loyalty to the Emperor is the most important thing and to ever show even the slightest hint of disloyalty is heresy of the highest order. All heretics must be purged in holy fire for heresy is the fall of man kind. Only the Cheetos crusted Emperor of Mankind can save us in these dark times.

"Wait, 5G was part of this?"
    He's going deeper into the Q well every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    where was this demand when it was being negotiated? By his own people?
    Golfing...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi