More on the "Giuliani says you can't seize his stuff" filing today.

Incidentally, in the filing (which MSNBC says is nonsense) Giuliani says he was trying to get dirt on Biden's family on behalf of the State Department. Besides the issues of Trump's personal lawyer acting on behalf of the State Department while not being a member of the WH, if he was doing that, why weren't his actions public? Or more to the point, why can't the State Department say "Okay, we're turning them over voluntarily"?

Red State fucks their people again. Voting 60% in favor of legalizing Marijuana, the GOP filed suit to remove the Amendment to the Mississippi Constitution. The Mississippi Supreme court ruled in the GOP's favor, saying the ballot initiative process was unconstitutional. You have to read this shit to actually believe, it's so ridiculous.

Under those guidelines, petitioners needed to gather one-fifth of their signatures from each of the state's five congressional districts. However, as of 2000, Mississippi has only four districts, although supporters of medical marijuana gathered signatures according to the old map as a precaution, at the advice of the state attorney general’s office.

“Whether with intent, by oversight, or for some other reason, the drafters of section 273(3) wrote a ballot-initiative process that cannot work in a world where Mississippi has fewer than five representatives in Congress,” Justice Josiah Coleman, who was endorsed by the Mississippi Republican Party prior to his reelection last year, wrote for the majority in the 6-3 ruling. “To work in today’s reality, it will need amending — something that lies beyond the power of the Supreme Court.”
    10 years of ballot initiatives are only hold until they fix the process rules.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Red State fucks their people again. Voting 60% in favor of legalizing Marijuana, the GOP filed suit to remove the Amendment to the Mississippi Constitution. The Mississippi Supreme court ruled in the GOP's favor, saying the ballot initiative process was unconstitutional. You have to read this shit to actually believe, it's so ridiculous.

10 years of ballot initiatives are only hold until they fix the process rules.

Just another day more fucking of their own people. They did it in Missouri too.
    What is even crazier is the state would have seen a billion dollar windfall of federal funding.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/13/99661...-governor-says

The battle over Medicaid expansion in Missouri reached a new boiling point Thursday as Gov. Mike Parson, a Republican, announced that the state will not implement expansion, in defiance of a ballot measure passed by voters last year.

The decision stems from Republican state lawmakers' refusal to appropriate funds for the expansion to the state's Medicaid program, called MO HealthNet, in the state budget bill passed last week.

Missouri's current Medicaid program is one of the most restrictive in the United States. To qualify, a family of three must earn less than 21% of the federal poverty level — in 2021, that amount is just $5,400. Childless adults cannot qualify at all.

Last August, 53% of voters in this deep-red state approved a ballot measure to raise the limit to 138% of the federal poverty level, roughly $17,774 for a single adult and $37,570 for a family of four. It would have made Missouri the 38th state to expand Medicaid access under the Affordable Care Act.

An analysis by Washington University in St. Louis found that about 271,500 Missourians were likely to enroll in the expanded coverage, which was set to take effect July 1, 2021.

The same study found the Medicaid expansion was most likely to result in budget savings for the state. That counterintuitive finding, which has been observed in other states, is explained by demand shifting from other public programs that are more expensive for the state, as more people opt for expansion coverage, which is largely funded by the federal government.

The Affordable Care Act requires the federal government to cover 90% of the cost of expanded eligibility.

On top of that, the new federal stimulus package signed by President Biden in March pitches in another 5% as an incentive for states that had yet to expand Medicaid when the bill was enacted, including Missouri. That would have saved the state an additional $1 billion, according to a federal estimate.

But Republicans in Missouri have long complained about what they say is an unaffordable expense, even as the state has an estimated $1.1 billion budget surplus.

The announcement comes just two days after Parson announced that Missouri would join several other Republican-controlled states in ending its participation in federal pandemic-related unemployment benefits.

"What did hard working Missourians and those looking for work do to have Missouri's majority party deny them increased wages, survival subsidies (funded by the feds), and healthcare (funded by the feds)?" wrote Quinton Lucas, the Democratic mayor of Kansas City, on Twitter. "For the many of us who have known struggle, it's just cruel."
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Too old or infirm? What are you talking about. We had his doctor announce to all of us Trumps genes are the most magnificent thing ever, allowing him to possibly live to 200.
    I guess Trump shares that old age trait with jellyfish.

I mean, they are both spineless, venomous, gelatinous blobs with no discernible brain.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I guess Trump shares that old age trait with jellyfish.

I mean, they are both spineless, venomous, gelatinous blobs with no discernible brain.
    Hey! That comparison is an insult to jellyfish. They look cool. Trump? Ehh...not quite...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming

In the It Really Can Get Worse category of today's Trump revelations, looks like Dipshit-in-Chief had the DoJ secretly obtain a grand-jury subpoena last year in an attempt to identify the person behind a Twitter account dedicated to mocking Rep. Devin Nunes.

Yep, using Trump's personal law firm the Department of Justice for personal vendettas.

In the It Really Can Get Worse category of today's Trump revelations, looks like Dipshit-in-Chief had the DoJ secretly obtain a grand-jury subpoena last year in an attempt to identify the person behind a Twitter account dedicated to mocking Rep. Devin Nunes.

Yep, using Trump's personal law firm the Department of Justice for personal vendettas.
    BUT CANCEL CULTURE! Yeah, they don't care about censorship or cancel culture.

They just wanna do what they want, and they just don't want anything said against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    BUT CANCEL CULTURE! Yeah, they don't care about censorship or cancel culture.
    They do care, they're doing it. The whole party is projection on comical levels.

So last week, there was progress towards a House investigation into the murderous insurrection.

Today, the House GOP decided they just didn't want to do it.

Their excuse? It doesn't take into account the 2017 baseball shooting.

No, really.

McCarthy said he could not support the legislation because House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) “refused to negotiate in good faith” on the parameters of the commission and because Democrats’ “renewed focus” does not include the “political violence” in American cities, the 2017 shooting at a Republican congressional baseball practice or the fatal attack on Capitol Police on April 2.

“The presence of this political violence in American society cannot be tolerated and it cannot be overlooked,” McCarthy wrote.

“I have communicated this to our Democrat colleagues for months and its omission is deeply concerning,” he added.
    So this is purely an attempt to victim blame. McCarthy and by extension the Party of Trump that he leads in the House, are trying to paint the Democrats as obstructionists who don't want to look at political violence, when that's literally what this probe was about. This would be very similar to someone looking at the Chauvin case and saying "Wait, we can't have a trial without also looking into this other, unrelated murder. We can't just try only one murderer, and if you refuse to bring in a second murder to this murder trial, then you don't care if people get murdered". Pretty sure there's more than one commission in the House at a time.

Oh, and remember how in 2017 the GOP held the House? If the Republicans wanted to look into either political violence and/or the basketball shooting specifically, didn't they have over a year to do it? Considering it was gun violence, they probably would have had bipartisan support.

This is their only chance to deflect from Trump's role, since even I won't be able to blame Trump for the 2017 basketball shooting. At least not a genuine one.

Oh, and for added fun:

Following her ouster in an interview with ABC "This Week" host Jon Karl, Cheney said that McCarthy should "absolutely" testify before the possible Jan. 6 commission.

“He absolutely should and I wouldn’t be surprised if he were subpoenaed,” Cheney said in a preview clip of her interview on ABC News’s "This Week" that aired Sunday.

I think he very clearly and said publicly that he’s got information about the president’s state of mind that day,” Cheney added.
    I have no idea if either Cheney or McCarthy were telling the truth in that bolded. I do know Pelosi should have seen Cheney's response by now. And I know Pelosi has no reason to look at what appears to be perfectly good evidence and say "No, we're good". I think that, if such a public statement does exist, Pelosi can and should publicly ask McCarthy to voluntarily testify. If and when he refuses, then slap him with a subpoena for refusing to provide useful, relevant evidence, which he said he had.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2021-05-18 at 04:31 PM.

McCarthy doesn't want to get subpoena'd and doesn't want to get on the bad side of Trump.

Not sure what he's worrying about, from what I can tell it's gonna be a waste of time anyways, with Republicans objecting to every part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    McCarthy doesn't want to get subpoena'd and doesn't want to get on the bad side of Trump.
    I believe that. I can't wait to find out which he hates more.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So last week, there was progress towards a House investigation into the murderous insurrection.

Today, the House GOP decided they just didn't want to do it.

Their excuse? It doesn't take into account the 2017 basketball shooting.

No, really.

So this is purely an attempt to victim blame. McCarthy and by extension the Party of Trump that he leads in the House, are trying to paint the Democrats as obstructionists who don't want to look at political violence, when that's literally what this probe was about. This would be very similar to someone looking at the Chauvin case and saying "Wait, we can't have a trial without also looking into this other, unrelated murder. We can't just try only one murderer, and if you refuse to bring in a second murder to this murder trial, then you don't care if people get murdered". Pretty sure there's more than one commission in the House at a time.

Oh, and remember how in 2017 the GOP held the House? If the Republicans wanted to look into either political violence and/or the basketball shooting specifically, didn't they have over a year to do it? Considering it was gun violence, they probably would have had bipartisan support.

This is their only chance to deflect from Trump's role, since even I won't be able to blame Trump for the 2017 basketball shooting. At least not a genuine one.

Oh, and for added fun:

I have no idea if either Cheney or McCarthy were telling the truth in that bolded. I do know Pelosi should have seen Cheney's response by now. And I know Pelosi has no reason to look at what appears to be perfectly good evidence and say "No, we're good". I think that, if such a public statement does exist, Pelosi can and should publicly ask McCarthy to voluntarily testify. If and when he refuses, then slap him with a subpoena for refusing to provide useful, relevant evidence, which he said he had.
    Basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Basketball?
    Ugh, baseball, sorry. At least McCarthy was accurately quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Basketball?
    Its baseball

I van see that now;
    McCarthy; "No on that commission."
    Cheney; "O rly?"

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...bellion-489273

And they're getting pissy that Pelosi is requiring masks still because not enough Republicans in the House are vaccinated. Seems their ire is misdirected and should be directed towards their idiot anti-vax colleagues.

Seriously, Republicans are the biggest snowflakes.

Monday's quick report:

25,030 new cases; 369 deaths, bringing the total to 600,533. Both are once again down from their previous Monday totals.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I van see that now;
    McCarthy; "No on that commission."
    Cheney; "O rly?"
    I hope some senior people are talking to Cheney about a GOP spin-off party.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryctos View Post
    Its baseball
    Baseketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

I hope some senior people are talking to Cheney about a GOP spin-off party.
    I kinda think that might be a problem in a few years. If Cheney splits and pulls neoCons, like Bush... Trump and GOP become the antiestablishment party. It will only solidify Trumpism for foreseeable future...

GOP need to lose and lose bad in 2022... without neocons as the scapegoat... otherwise, we are stuck with Trump for a long time...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi