10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Friday's report:

84,846 new cases; around 4k fewer than last Friday...I think. For some reason I had trouble pinpointing the date from worldometers so I drew from the NYT.
    You can always zoom in the text which will also zoom in the graphics, making it easier to select a given day. Worldometers currently has it at 84,218.

But also... last week:
    Friday's report:

80,469 new cases
    ...so it's actually more like a 4.5k increase over last Friday using comparable numbers.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Joke.
    As not all repubs are felons either, mine was also a joke.

As for the other part, I have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    As not all repubs are felons either, mine was also a joke.
    Well, that's what I get for replying before coffee.

Forbes recently wrote an article about who, so far, has been sued for making false claims about Dominion and who could be next. Of note, Melissa Carone.

"Who?"

Surely you remember the witness Giuliani put on the stand despite not vetting her testimony back in December? She swore, under oath, she saw Dominion create voter fraud.

On Election Day, Carone said, she worked a nonstop, 24-hour shift at Detroit’s vote-counting operation at TCF Center, tasked with IT support for Dominion’s machines. In an affidavit filed Nov. 10, she claimed seeing some ballots being illegally scanned multiple times and suggested that vans meant to bring in meals for elections workers were hiding tens of thousands of ballots instead.

Carone’s affidavit was included in a lawsuit filed by the Trump campaign seeking to halt the certification of election results in Wayne County, a liberal, vote-rich area where Biden racked up much of his support in Michigan. Wayne County Circuit Judge Timothy Kenny denied that request Nov. 13, saying Carone’s and other witnesses’ “interpretation of events is incorrect and not credible.”

Nearly a month later, she continued making the same allegations in separate presentations this week before the Michigan House and Michigan Senate Oversight Committees.

“Everything that happened at that TCF Center was fraud,” she declared Tuesday. “Every single thing.”

During her exchange with Johnson the following day, the GOP state lawmaker questioned her claim that 30,000 votes were counted multiple times but were not reflected in the poll book, which indicates how many absentee ballots were cast in each precinct.

“We’re not seeing the poll book off by 30,000 votes,” he said.

“What’d you guys do, take it and do something crazy to it?” Carone fired back, before telling him there were “zero registered voters” in Wayne County’s poll book and that 100,000 fraudulent ballots had been cast. (Biden nonetheless won Michigan by more than 154,000 votes.)
    Anyhow, Dominion hasn't sued her yet, but considering her statements are both on public record and her affadavit under oath, she should be very concerned if they did. As mentioned above, the only thing to come out of her allegations were "I saw something nobody else said for which there is no record of any kind".

"Well I'm sure she's an upstanding human being and there's no reason to bring her crazy views into question."

Indeed, she is on record as saying this:

But one thing that that anybody that knows me, or people that don’t even know me, cannot and will never be able to ever claim about me is that I’m a liar. I am not a liar. I’ve never been known to be a liar. I am not a liar. And I am the most honest person.
    "When did she say that?"

During her trial. Yeah she sent her boyfriend's ex-wife a video of them having sex, or something. Plead out to 12 months probation but claims the video that came from her phone wasn't sent by her.

"Surely there's no rule about people just off probation being witnesses to a crime."

There is no rule that people coming off probation are incredible as a matter of law. I don’t know her circumstances, but her testimony is corroborated by other witnesses, documentary evidence and expert testimony
    -- Giuliani, when Carone took the stand

"Ah! And what other witnesses and evidence did Giuliani file?"

Nothing that survived the court case.

"Well it's not like she lied about anything else."

She claimed her IT experience came from working for Ford for a year.

"Ah, surely she worked IT for them, or maybe their website?"

Ford says she never worked for them. When Ford went public, she changed her story to working for a contractor who worked for Ford.

"Surely she knew the name of the contractor who hired her for a calendar year."

Nope. Must have slipped her mind.

"Well it was so many years ago."

She said it ended Aug 2020. So, no. She should have had the paperwork to file her taxes when she took the stand in Dec 2020. She didn't forget, she lied.

And then she demanded an investigaton of Hunter Biden. Who, near as I can tell, did not lie about election fraud.

Carone's possibly drunk (she denies being drunk) testimony Dec 3 continued as random screaming into cameras until Dec 29 when Dominion sent a cease and desist letter. They could sue her basically whenever they want at this point. And if they did, and if she admits she has nothing on the stand, then comes perjury because Giuliani introduced her affadavit as evidence. She has even admitted, in that same on-the-stand rant, that she knows she could go to jail for a false affadavit.

Normally -- actually let's get @cubby in on this -- I think normally when a witness takes the stand and says "I saw something" they're not typically hit with charges of perjruy when it turns out they're mistaken. That would intimidate witnesses in a general context. Carone swore up and down she saw something, including "What’d you guys do, take it and do something crazy to it?" as quoted above. This wasn't "I thought I saw something suspicious so I called it in" this was "I know for a fact I saw 100,000 votes come from 0 voters".

Based on her court history, if Dominion does go after her for her very public, false statements under oath, I suspect she'll fold like an origami crane and claim she only recanted because she couldn't afford to take time off her job (which she'll probably lie about which job it is) and continue running for office. Oh, I forgot to mention, she's running for office. Ms. Sex Tape Resume Liar Drunk Testimony is running for public office.

I think people often confuse it with homeopathy.
    Chiropractic more likely. The two have similar quack origins, but apparently osteopaths decided at some point they were going to make their field about studying actual medicine, instead of just meaningless woo.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...s-say/2870695/

Now I'm not gonna go after the kid for being a dumb teen, shit happens. But sure is weird how we keep seeing attempted voter fraud in favor of Republicans. Sure is weird.

Also weird that the guy running for governor apparently didn't bother to teach his son about the importance of election integrity and following the rule of law. Which means not voting until you are legally eligible at the age of 18 after registering with the state.
    Meh the party of law and order would have had this kids head on a platter asking for the death penalty if he voted democrat
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

-- Giuliani, under oath, admitting he did not check his sources before filing their statements under oath, as reported by CNN

"Oh CNN, they're so fake, they're so biased, they--"

They have tapes.

"..oh."

Yeah, the defamation lawsuit is pressing forward. Giuliani admitting under oath he repeated something as if it was fact when it was just Some Guy on Twitter and he was repeating it.
    Isn't the whole point of hiring a lawyer is to actively investigate if evidence is valid or not, either through a detective, their own investigations or the police so when it comes to court, it can be presented as valid?

I am not sure on this but I'm pretty sure that is one of the jobs of a lawyer other then researching the law for the particular case they are on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Isn't the whole point of hiring a lawyer is to actively investigate if evidence is valid or not, either through a detective, their own investigations or the police so when it comes to court, it can be presented as valid?
    There's a lot of overlap, but, no. The lawyer's job is to represent you in a court of law. Finding evidence is usually a big part of that -- unless you know the evidence says you're guilty, of course.

Giuliani had no reason to do the research. He knew the election was legit. He knew Carone could not back up her claims and they were in all likelihood false. Normally, a lawyer in those circumstances would just, you know, not take the case. Or, charge a shitload of money because it would damage their reputation. And even then they'd probably be more careful than Giuliani when presenting evidence so shaky you can find it on the Richter Scale. Nor was this a case of "let's get a subpoena and check these good-faith probable-cause situations". There was just flat-out nothing but Some Guy On Twitter.

So the whole point can involve an investigation, yes, but only if there's any chance you'll find something. It would have been a mistake for Giuliani to do an investigation.

Looks like GA is going to get a grand jury for the call with raffensperger. It has not been called yet, but NYT is reporting Soon™ in what seems to be a single-sourced story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    It has not been called yet, but NYT is reporting Soon™
    Good. Even if it's never convened, Trump must be looking at the consequences of his actions surrounding him and closing in like a school of gurgling murlocs on a level 1 character.

Let me preface this by saying it's wrong and shouldn't have been done...but goddamnit I laughed.

California School Sparks Outrage Over Test Calling Florida, Texas 'Complete Idiots'

A student taking a history quiz in a class at the high school took a screenshot of one of the questions on the quiz, which read:

A group of complete idiots is:

a KKK

b "All of Florida

c Fox News

d Texans
    The teacher was an idiot for thinking this would fly--even if it's not totally incorrect--not least because it's providing fuel for the Trumper dipshit crowd who think schools "indoctrinate" children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me preface this by saying it's wrong and shouldn't have been done...but goddamnit I laughed.

California School Sparks Outrage Over Test Calling Florida, Texas 'Complete Idiots'

The teacher was an idiot for thinking this would fly--even if it's not totally incorrect--not least because it's providing fuel for the Trumper dipshit crowd who think schools "indoctrinate" children.
    Where is E: all of the above?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    A North Dakota local lawmaker was due to attend an anti-vaxxer anti-mandate rally, but won't be attending.

Admit it, you already know why.

10+ Year Old Account
    A North Dakota local lawmaker was due to attend an anti-vaxxer anti-mandate rally, but won't be attending.

Admit it, you already know why.
    But... but... he said that he does not believe being fully vaccinated would have helped prevent him from contracting the coronavirus, and is taking ivermectin.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    he said that he does not believe being fully vaccinated would have helped prevent him from contracting the coronavirus
    It's a little too late to say "a seat belt wouldn't have saved my life anyhow" during your own closed-casket funeral.

I do like how he's continuing to spread misinformation after his main ideology was proven wrong. It reeeeeks of desperation.

- - - Updated - - -

Unable to win a fight against Trump in 2016, Cruz has found an opponent closer to his level: Big Bird.

No, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Meanwhile, you have Hawley out here saying incels have a point.
    It's weird that the standard bearers for masculinity in the Republican party (Hawley and Carlson), with their clean-shaven baby faces and thin shoulders. They're the guys I would be more likely to believe have a catgirl maid outfit buried in their sock drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He’s so masculine he kisses his wife like this

She looks way more eager to kiss him than he is to kiss her. He looks like he's just waiting for it to be over.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    She looks way more eager to kiss him than he is to kiss her. He looks like he's just waiting for it to be over.
    She's already mentally decorating the East Room in the White House. She would kiss anything he presents.

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/s...73088820166656

Yo, apparently it's a good thing that Israel "owned" the US Congress? And that apparently a few progressive Democratic House members somehow changed that?

Isn't that not very America First before those progressive Democrats, what with a foreign country "owning" our Legislative body? Shouldn't he be praising those progressive Democrats like Ilhan Omar for "taking back control" of the US Congress?

10+ Year Old Account
    Few quick bits.

One, the Jan 6th committee issues more subpoenas for the murderous insurrectionists Trump directly employed to commit a murderous insurrection.

Two, and this would be hilarious if it wasn't about someone being shot, one of Rittenhouse's VICTIMS said he was carrying a gun because, well, he believes in the 2nd Amendment and was allowed to. This, of course, is one of the big issues with open carry. Some guy is wandering around carrying a weapon of war/assault rifle. Do you call the police or not? Are you being threatend or not? Rittenhouse shot someone who was a proud gun-carrying American patriot who believes in American and freedom, apparently.

"Why would you believe him over Rittenhouse?"

I dunno, why would anyone believe Rittenhouse over him? Rittenhouse fled the scene, dude.

Shooting someone with the gun you're carrying, because they're carrying a gun, might be the single way the 2nd Amendment ends up taking care of itself.

Incidentally, this guy also thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter and was trying to disarm him. In other words, he's describing his actions exactly the same way Rittenhouse is describing his...except of course Rittenhouse fled the scene and didn't call the police. Which is what you do when you know you're guilty.

Three, McConnell says Trump wrote the forward in McConnell's new book.

"Oh, that was nice of him. How much did he charge?"

Well we don't know, Trump won't show his taxes. But, Trump also claims he didn't do it. So one of them is lying.

Well we don't know, Trump won't show his taxes. But, Trump also claims he didn't do it. So one of them is lying.
    History suggests we should look for the solution that involves both of them lying. Trump said he didn't do it, but he actually thinks he did, but he's senile and he's remembered it wrong. McConnell said that Trump did when he knows that he didn't. I think that fits?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.