I have to ask, what is with GOP voters' obsession with conmen?

Right-wing superhero movie ends 'in disaster' after $1 million in funders' cash goes missing

An attempt to make a Confederacy-promoting right-wing super hero movie has reportedly "ended in disaster" after $1 million in funders' money has gone completely missing.

The Daily Beast's Will Sommer reports that the planned movie, called "Rebel's Run," was based on a comic book character created by far-right blogger Vox Day that features a hero named Rebel who is "sometimes depicted in a Confederate flag bustier" and who fights against "a global police force hunting down freethinking conservatives."

The film's troubles started when Day, whose given name is Theodore Beale, decided to use a Utah-based firm called Ohana Capital Financial to hold the $1 million he'd raised in donations for the movie in escrow.

Beale went with Ohana because it was a rare financial institution who would do business with him given his long history of unabashed racism and sexism.

he trouble, as Sommer writes, is that Ohana appears to have been a sham institution set up by a con artist.

"Ohana was the creation of James Wolfgramm, a self-described cryptocurrency billionaire who posted pictures of sports cars that supposedly belonged to him on social media," he writes. "But in fact, according to a federal indictment filed last month, Wolfgramm’s wealth was a sham. The sports car pictures, for example, were pulled from other websites. Wolfgramm’s business also sold what were billed as high-tech cryptocurrency mining rigs — but those too were a hoax, according to prosecutors, with their screens just running on a loop to create the illusion of mine."

Day told disappointed supporters recently that their money had, in fact, gone missing while under Wolfgramm's care.

"I wouldn’t count on us getting the money back," said Day, who also baselessly claimed that the theft was part of a grander plot "intended to break our community."

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Ohana was the creation of James Wolfgramm, a self-described cryptocurrency billionaire
    They're not sending their best, they're not sending their brightest...they're all just deeply stupid and gullible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I have to ask, what is with GOP voters' obsession with conmen?

Right-wing superhero movie ends 'in disaster' after $1 million in funders' cash goes missing
    You know what they say about fools and their money…

Can we call the act of “losing money to a far-right con artist that immediately runs away with it” the “conservative tax?”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he knows he's guilty and any court will find him guilty, Trump tries a legal tactic that screams "I am guilty": telling his lawyers they are not authorized to accept a subpoena for his testimony.

Last week, the committee took the historic step of voting to subpoena the former president, with all nine members of the panel voting to approve the resolution to compel him to testify about the attack on the Capitol, which the committee argues was the violent culmination of Trump's many efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

But multiple lawyers representing Trump have told committee investigators they aren't permitted to formally accept service of the subpoena on behalf of Trump, sources familiar with the deliberations say.

The subpoena is expected to be issued in short order once committee investigators learn who is formally representing Trump in the matter, and after the panel agrees to additional details regarding deadlines for Trump's compliance and the precise details of the documents they are seeking. The subpoena could be issued as soon as Thursday, the sources said.
    This is, of course, a stupid idea. The DOJ has proven willing to enforce this sort of thing, and Trump has public engagements. Simply put, if none of Trump's lawyers are authorized to accept a subpoena on Trump's behalf, they'll have to pick a time and place they know Trump is.

A rally.

"Whoa whoa whoa! You're saying Garland will authorize the FBI to march up on stage?"

No, that's just my fan fiction. No, he'll have the FBI stake out the airport whwere Trump's going to land. The SS doesn't work for Trump and will actually be ordered to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're not sending their best, they're not sending their brightest...they're all just deeply stupid and gullible.
    Oh, they sent their best and their brightest. Best and brightest are about a bright as light in a photo development area.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Because he knows he's guilty and any court will find him guilty, Trump tries a legal tactic that screams "I am guilty": telling his lawyers they are not authorized to accept a subpoena for his testimony.

This is, of course, a stupid idea.
    Doesn't he basically only have to delay until Republicans retake the House and both shitcan this committee and start impeaching Biden for riding the wrong brand of bicycle? Or am I completely off base with that assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Doesn't he basically only have to delay until Republicans retake the House and both shitcan this committee and start impeaching Biden for riding the wrong brand of bicycle? Or am I completely off base with that assumption.
    Trump’s legal troubles extend far beyond the January 6th committee.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Doesn't he basically only have to delay until Republicans retake the House
    Around Nov 15, the committee will hand everything over to the DOJ with their strong recommendation to prosecute. And I'm not convinced the GOP is poised to take enough votes in the Senate to realistically impeach Biden, especially considering they don't have a "reason" and even some Republicans will refuse to vote without one.

Around Nov 15, the committee will hand everything over to the DOJ with their strong recommendation to prosecute. And I'm not convinced the GOP is poised to take enough votes in the Senate to realistically impeach Biden, especially considering they don't have a "reason" and even some Republicans will refuse to vote without one.
    Even if they won every seat up for grabs, they are 2 seats short of removing him since they need 67.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ajc.com/politics/texts-f...K6RSKLPH2KEGE/

So, we now have texts of Marjorie Traitor Greene threatening Brad Raffensperger and his wife, we have texts of her pushing the fake electors, we have texts with her to then Senator Kelly Loeffler, and then Kelly Loeffler receiving texts from Rep. Jody Hice and Rick Allen. The problem is, Marjorie wasn't even fucking seated yet. She shouldn't be in office anymore. I hope Marcus Flowers wins.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lara-l...bel-on-newsmax

Newsmax found some too extreme even for them. Some woman named Lara Logan, who is some crazy lady talking about something related to "blood libel" and a "global cabal planning to dilute the pool of patriots in the US with 100M illegal immigrants"

“Newsmax condemns in the strongest terms the reprehensible statements made by Lara Logan and her views do not reflect our network,” the network said in a statement. “We have no plans to interview her again.”
    Apparently she used to work for 60 Minutes and she's been coasting on that, "Ex-liberal journalist shares all the dirt on the liberal media cabal!" bullshit for a while. But I guess her extremism and conspiracy theories are a bit much for even Newsmax, what with the Dominion defamation lawsuit still proceeding.

Newsmax found some too extreme even for them. Some woman named Lara Logan, who is some crazy lady talking about something related to "blood libel" and a "global cabal planning to dilute the pool of patriots in the US with 100M illegal immigrants"

Apparently she used to work for 60 Minutes and she's been coasting on that, "Ex-liberal journalist shares all the dirt on the liberal media cabal!" bullshit for a while. But I guess her extremism and conspiracy theories are a bit much for even Newsmax, what with the Dominion defamation lawsuit still proceeding.
    The only reason I remember her was because she interviewed Alex Honnold 11 years ago, and she was gushing over him.

Wonder if this QAnon nutter / hate / nationalism she seems to have developed can trace back to when she was assaulted/raped by an Egyptian mob in 2011 while reporting on the Egyptian revolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like this one got by me: Trump threatens to sue Pulitzer board for defamation.

As such, the members of the Board are individually liable for the publication of the Defamatory Statement.
    "What? The Pulitzer board published something about Trump?"

See, that's the thing. No, they didn't. So Trump is just throwing another tantrum. The case would be dismissed in seconds.

Also, FOX News wants this case to be dismissed. They're being sued by Dominion, and their defense is "we were just reporting what Trump said". (That's also a lie, but it's what they're going with) If the Pulitzer board is liable, then so is FOX News.

"Why is he threatening to sue at all?"

He claims that they awarded the prize to the totally debunked Russia Hoax, and therefore, they defamed him.

"But it wasn't debunked."

Correct. No charges were filed, but there was plenty of evidence and even some arrests. Trump, to prove defamation, would have to prove the statement was both false and knowingly false, and this he cannot do.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve Bannon gets four months in prison for being Trump's canary in a coal mine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...na/ar-AA13ehW0

Some of the classified documents recovered by the FBI from Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home and private club included highly sensitive intelligence regarding Iran and China, according to people familiar with the matter. If shared with others, the people said, such information could expose intelligence-gathering methods that the United States wants to keep hidden from the world.

At least one of the documents seized by the FBI describes Iran’s missile program, according to these people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing investigation. Other documents described highly sensitive intelligence work aimed at China, they said.
    So...prison when?

- - - Updated - - -

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/s...blown-deadline

After President Trump blew a deadline in the Mar-a-Lago documents case, the special master called him out and gave him to the close of business today to remedy the delinquency.

Per an earlier order from the special master, U.S District Judge Raymond Dearie for the Eastern District of New York, both sides had to file by Thursday a list of unresolved disputes between them over a subset of the records seized by the FBI in its August raid.

The Justice Department filed its own rundown of the disputed documents in a timely fashion, but Trump attorney Jim Trusty seemed to unilaterally give himself four extra days to file. In a brief letter Thursday night, Trusty disputed claims that the DOJ had made about what documents that Trump wants shielded from the investigation, and added that Trump would file its full response on Monday.

Dearie wasn’t having it with the blown deadline and self-appointed new deadline. In a Friday order, Dearie said that Trump’s filings were now “untimely” and that he needed to submit his position by close of business on Friday.

Dearie’s chambers told TPM that close of business would be 6 p.m. on Friday.
    Now I assume this is east coast time, so that means Trump's legal team has about 4 and a half hours to submit their list of unresolved disputes.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/21/jan-...ald-trump.html

And the subpoena for Trump to testify to the Jan. 6 committee is issued. Do they have to "serve" this? Because isn't Trump ducking getting served on other lawsuits? Seems like process servers could connect and just make it rain all at once.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...na/ar-AA13ehW0

So...prison when?

- - - Updated - - -

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/s...blown-deadline

Now I assume this is east coast time, so that means Trump's legal team has about 4 and a half hours to submit their list of unresolved disputes.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/21/jan-...ald-trump.html

And the subpoena for Trump to testify to the Jan. 6 committee is issued. Do they have to "serve" this? Because isn't Trump ducking getting served on other lawsuits? Seems like process servers could connect and just make it rain all at once.
    There was some 'confusion' with Trumps lawyers saying they were not authorized to accept the subpoena. But I don't see how that can do anything but stall for an insignificant amount of time. Trump has a SS detail. The DoJ can literally call them up and ask where he is to serve it to him in person.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    "Dearie’s chambers told TPM that close of business would be 6 p.m. on Friday."
    Remember, they asked for this guy by name.

Also, Trump seems to be taking issue with people who are not Trump running for office.

Trump said he would find it “very disloyal” if former Vice President Mike Pence or other members of his former Cabinet sought the GOP presidential nomination in 2024, seeking to send a warning to a number of figures weighing potential White House bids.

“Many of them have said they would never run if I run, so we’ll see if that turns out to be true,” Trump said Friday during a brief phone interview with Fox News Radio host Brian Kilmeade. “I think it would be very disloyal if they did, but that’s OK, too.”
    "Oh, so Trump declared he was running?"

No.

"...then what's he talking about?"

He seems to be taking Pence's comments as a sign that Pence will run against him. Trump, of course, hates competition and will be gimped if he does run because of the leg irons he'd be wearing at the time. Yes, Trump is warning people not to run against him despite not running. Perhaps he will announce the second 2022's election is over and he thinks the House and Senate will go full martyr for him as he tries to primaries between court dates. I kinda want to see what happens when the GOP let Trump run up until the time he's dragged off in handcuffs for all that stuff he did.

He seems to be taking Pence's comments as a sign that Pence will run against him. Trump, of course, hates competition and will be gimped if he does run because of the leg irons he'd be wearing at the time. Yes, Trump is warning people not to run against him despite not running. Perhaps he will announce the second 2022's election is over and he thinks the House and Senate will go full martyr for him as he tries to primaries between court dates. I kinda want to see what happens when the GOP let Trump run up until the time he's dragged off in handcuffs for all that stuff he did.
    he could also be talking about Mike Pompeo:
    "If I come to believe that I ought to become president, that I have something to offer the American people, I will run no matter who all decides to get in and who else decides not to get in the race," he told reporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Got Subpoena'd on a Friday" sounds like the title of a country song.

Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump's legal team has about 4 and a half hours to submit their list of unresolved disputes.
    This article suggests they snuck it in at the last minute, as it was published at 6:05PM.

So the DOJ had said that, of the 11 documents, Trump was claiming nine were personal records and four had Executive Privilege. The--

"That adds up to thirteen, not eleven."

Yes, there was an overlap.

"...personal records can't be covered by Executive Privilege."

And, yet, here we are.

Anyhow, it looks like Trump claims Executive Privilege on three, personal records on two, and "you're not allowed to see that" on one.

Then, the filing goes passive-aggressive as Trump's lawyers suggest that the confusion of multiple filings was the DOJ's fault for not confirming the contents or confirming Trump's stance, when of course, Trump's refusal to say on the metaphorical stand what was involved led to all of this, and his lawyers have proven to be worse at their job than Baine Bloodhoof.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...pe-1234616603/

According to Trump and his supporters, threatening journalists with prison rape unless they reveal their sources is great.

His "joke" about this was responded to with raucus applause and cheering.

I'll just share this the next time that some "very much not an apologist for right wing extremism" tries to make some kinda point about how Republicans are actually a very normal political party that doesn't regularly traffic in extreme rhetoric. You know, exactly like this.

And I'm sure Republicans will condemn his attacks on journalists First Amendment rights annnnnyyyyyyyy second....aaaaaannnnnnnyyyyyyyy ssssssseeeeeeeeeecccccccccccccccooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddd.