Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I believe his current stance is that he was amazing when it came to abortion policies but republicans "messed up" his vision because some don't care about the mother and the exceptions he loves mothers or something. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he keeps talking from both sides of his mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

It's either going to be a woman or a minority (Vivek or Tim Scott), either shield himself against abortion or racism but whoever he picks will be a true believer. He doesn't want another Mike Pence situation.
    It won't be a minority. Half his base would burst into flames from the cognitive dissonance. And the only women I could see not upsetting the incels would be Marge or "Touch and Feel Opera House" Barbie
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    It won't be a minority. Half his base would burst into flames from the cognitive dissonance. And the only women I could see not upsetting the incels would be Marge or "Touch and Feel Opera House" Barbie
    Nah they are fine with the token black guy or woman , you have to remember all these people have a minority friend or a girl that they totally dated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    Do you think Martin Shkreli’s recently lost appeal is going to have ramifications on trump’s NY case?
    No. Trump is his own unique category and we all know it.

- - - Updated - - -

Team Trump objects to the press having evidence and other court documents in his Florida case and being allowed to release them.

Trump's consideration of whether he should object, consent, or take no position as to the Press Coalition's motion—or any other application—should not be rushed, particularly as he is both actively campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination and participating in a civil jury trial in the Southern District of New York
    Now, there are rules about what the press gets and what they're allowed to release. That's fair. Yes, Team Trump at times seems incompetent, but that's not an issue I can summarily handwave.

But Trump just claimed, in court, he should have extra benefits because he's running for office.

That attempt must fail. Someone who is facing a trial by jury, having gone through a very intense grand jury situation, should not get special treatment over others simply because he is applying for another job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I do think there is a part of the Republican Party that does want to see Trump gone...I just don't think that faction is strong enough. And the only way for them tog et stronger is for them to have a really strong alternative for tRump...and they've never had one.
    Any other candidate other than Trump is going to be wildly unpopular. Trump has a weird status among Republican voters, and if he's not the primary candidate many of them will stay home. It's a personality cult at this point, and if Haley ends up being in the general whether through pulling through in the primary or Trump just going to prison and the GOP sidelining him, we're going to see just how much of it is solely the Trump personality cult.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Any other candidate other than Trump is going to be wildly unpopular. Trump has a weird status among Republican voters, and if he's not the primary candidate many of them will stay home. It's a personality cult at this point, and if Haley ends up being in the general whether through pulling through in the primary or Trump just going to prison and the GOP sidelining him, we're going to see just how much of it is solely the Trump personality cult.
    If he goes to prison then his cult will turn out in droves for Haley...because she'll pardon him if she wins.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he goes to prison then his cult will turn out in droves for Haley...because she'll pardon him if she wins.
    Which will probably turn off independents in droves in turn.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Which will probably turn off independents in droves in turn.
    Maybe. It might be good enough for them that Trump is off the ticket. They might not care about him getting pardoned...just so long as he's not the President.

"Independents" is kind of a misnomer anyway. Most of them tend to stick with one party or the other.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2024-01-25 at 05:27 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. It might be good enough for them that Trump is off the ticket. They might not care about him getting pardoned...just so long as he's not the President.

"Independents" is kind of a misnomer anyway. Most of them tend to stick with one party or the other.
    "Independents" = uninformed people who only hear what the biggest news articles are, and form their vague notions of political leanings for a given election on that. They've never heard the name MTG. They probably don't really recall who Mike Pence was. They got a "weird feeling" about Hillary they could never pin down. They're not really sure what Trump is accused of. They heard Biden made prices on things go up.

So if the headlines in the news are "Trump convicted of crime," they think "Oh damn he's a criminal." When they hear "Haley promises to pardon Trump," they think "who is this Haley person? Why is she pardoning a criminal? That doesn't sound right to me..."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

As someone who registered as an Independent at 18 and never felt compelled to change that, maybe y'all should stop trying to pigeonhole "Independents". While true that I vote Dem whenever I cast a ballot that's only because the only other option is generally GOP--which is objectively worse. So mayyyyybe fuck off with the grossly inaccurate generalizations?

Why haven't I ever changed affiliation to Democrat since I vote for Democrats? Simple, I'm more progressive than them for the most part and find that they as a party are just as beholden to big business/Wall Street and other richie rich shit as the GOP...and that's not palatable to me. For the record, I'd totally vote for a third party candidate who was more progressive than the Dems if I thought any had a chance in the fucked up 2-party system of ours. They don't, however, so I don't. Can't let perfect be the enemy of good--regardless of how incrementally small the "good" may be in many cases.

"Independents" = uninformed people who only hear what the biggest news articles are, and form their vague notions of political leanings for a given election on that. They've never heard the name MTG. They probably don't really recall who Mike Pence was. They got a "weird feeling" about Hillary they could never pin down. They're not really sure what Trump is accused of. They heard Biden made prices on things go up.

So if the headlines in the news are "Trump convicted of crime," they think "Oh damn he's a criminal." When they hear "Haley promises to pardon Trump," they think "who is this Haley person? Why is she pardoning a criminal? That doesn't sound right to me..."
    I’m gonna go ahead and say this is both demeaning and factually incorrect.

EVERYONE should be independent. It’s only partisans who forgive everything from either side.

I’m not American, but I lean democratic (for what I believe are obvious reasons). In politics I believe in ideas though, not in teams.

Lets not forget there ARE legitimate reasons to want to vote republican. Illegal immigration IS a problem where both sides profer different solutions, the promotion of the traditional family is a point of contention, etc.

The fact there’s only room for 2 parties is hugely detrimental to the USA…

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

EVERYONE should be independent. It’s only partisans who forgive everything from either side.

I’m not American, but I lean democratic (for what I believe are obvious reasons). In politics I believe in ideas though, not in teams.

Lets not forget there ARE legitimate reasons to want to vote republican. Illegal immigration IS a problem where both sides profer different solutions, the promotion of the traditional family is a point of contention, etc.

There's a difference between small i and capital I Independents. The latter refers to a particularly noxious breed of American centrist that only tunes into politics every 2-4 years and thinks there's a reasonable middle ground between equality under the law and a concentration camp.

Also, no. There is no legitimate reason to vote for the Republican Party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Independents:

An overwhelming majority of independents (81%) continue to “lean” toward either the Republican Party or the Democratic Party. Among the public overall, 17% are Democratic-leaning independents, while 13% lean toward the Republican Party. Just 7% of Americans decline to lean toward a party, a share that has changed little in recent years. This is a long-standing dynamic that has been the subject of past analyses, both by Pew Research Center and others.

In their political attitudes and views of most issues, independents who lean toward a party are in general agreement with those who affiliate with the same party. For example, Republican-leaning independents are less supportive of Donald Trump than are Republican identifiers. Still, about 70% of GOP leaners approved of his job performance during his first two years in office. Democratic leaners, like Democrats, overwhelmingly disapprove of the president.
    GOP-leaning Independents that were going to vote for Trump will likely still vote for Haley if for some reason she does get the nomination. GOP-leaning Independents that weren't going to vote for Trump may decide vote for Haley even if she does say she'll pardon Trump if convicted...because they generally prefer GOP policies to Dem Policies...they just didn't want another 4 years of President Trump.

Dem-leaning Independents were not likely to vote for Haley or Trump anyway... so the possibility of her Pardoning Trump if he is convicted isn't really a factor for them.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2024-01-25 at 06:23 AM.

Trump would most likely pick a woman if only to shield himself when it comes to abortion issues.
    It has to be a woman for some many reasons. Abortion is #1. The only problem is all Republican women are as crazy as the men. The soft measure is the perception that coming from a woman that Republicans own your body, comes across better(?).

Trump would love to have his VP f*ckable and Noem fits that so well. She is crazy on abortion and had some scandals. Funny how this won't effect her if she is picked. Funny enough Nikki Haley got smart on abortion and decided not to say the quiet stuff out loud about abortion, is the pick just on that alone.

Elise Stefanik I guess. Of course a New York politician but she is not from the "good" part of NY. Looking at you @Breccia. She sponsored a 15 week National ban on abortion. Umm is this "moderate' on the Republican side these days? Idk.

Only thing if he actually picks a crazy pick or goes against a woman is Trump is on that "burn this bitch down" mode. Meaning he just wants some loyalist who is so far up his ass it don't matter identity. Still believe the people behind the doors will steer him toward a woman, who once more helps on abortion.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Nah they are fine with the token black guy or woman , you have to remember all these people have a minority friend or a girl that they totally dated.
    If he does do the "Token" route can we scream "Trump Has Gone Woke"?
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

a friend without power sure. The VP? I doubt it
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    It has to be a woman for some many reasons. Abortion is #1. The only problem is all Republican women are as crazy as the men. The soft measure is the perception that coming from a woman that Republicans own your body, comes across better(?).

Trump would love to have his VP f*ckable and Noem fits that so well. She is crazy on abortion and had some scandals. Funny how this won't effect her if she is picked. Funny enough Nikki Haley got smart on abortion and decided not to say the quiet stuff out loud about abortion, is the pick just on that alone.

Elise Stefanik I guess. Of course a New York politician but she is not from the "good" part of NY. Looking at you @Breccia. She sponsored a 15 week National ban on abortion. Umm is this "moderate' on the Republican side these days? Idk.

Only thing if he actually picks a crazy pick or goes against a woman is Trump is on that "burn this bitch down" mode. Meaning he just wants some loyalist who is so far up his ass it don't matter identity. Still believe the people behind the doors will steer him toward a woman, who once more helps on abortion.
    Everyone remembers that classic documentary based on the 2008 Election "Who's Nailin Paylin?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    An interesting phenomenon seems to be emerging in some of the international media that I'm following.

At least in Spain, Germany and the UK a 2nd Trump term is increasingly being discussed not just as possible, but rather as probable.

The Democrats really need to pull their shit together and start campaigning yesterday.
    They are saying that based on the polls from the US, it's not their own conclusions, nothing really strange about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Still believe the people behind the doors will steer him toward a woman, who once more helps on abortion.
    Trump regularly hired women for his businesses. Partially because he wants someone pretty. Partially because he assumed women wouldn't push back against his ideas.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

Illegal immigration isn't a problem, immigration processing is a problem, largely due to...you guessed it, Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    a friend without power sure. The VP? I doubt it
    Just has to find a blind follower there are enough of them in the house and Senate to pick from maybe someone he has leverage over like Tim Scott. It's pretty obvious he is gay and is trying to hide it to make himself VP material.