10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Surely she should be subject to contempt of court for this sort of thing?
    I mean, 90+% of Trump's outbursts are out of the courtroom and do not cause any consequences. Until he violates a gag order or threatens someone, it's open season.

I will be honest. When Trump won in 2016, I laughed. I still can't quite believe he won. For 2024, a small part of me wants him to win again, purely for how insane it is. To be clear, I don't agree with his politics and I think he is wholly unfit for office. However, 2024 is not 2016. His comments about NATO are chilling. Don't get me wrong- he isn't wholly without a point, a lot of countries have coasted, and wanting to see greater contributions isn't in itself a bad thing. Given the aggression shown by Russia, and his comments about encouraging Putin, as a European I genuinely don't want to see my continent in the next few years turn into the Europe of 1940. Yes, this is still an unlikely outcome, I would go as far to say that it almost certainly won't happen, however his comments, and the prospect of him potentially getting back in make it >0 in likelihood, and yes, this does worry me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Donald Trump meets with prominent Sanders supporter Tulsi Gabbard.
    • Are they discussing possible foriegn policy options?
    • Vetting her Chief Cruella Deville position when the GOP/Trump Org takes over Disney Florida?

/s time is a flat circle
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Donald Trump meets with prominent Sanders supporter Tulsi Gabbard.
    • Are they discussing possible foriegn policy options?
    • Vetting her Chief Cruella Deville position when the GOP/Trump Org takes over Disney Florida?

/s time is a flat circle
    Wow, hanging around with a Democrat? And a Bernie supporter (even a weirdo fuckin one at that)? Sounds pretty RINO of 'ol Donald.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder of that time Joe Biden went out and said, "If you gather with family during the holidays during this covid spike, aren't vaccinated, and don't follow any safe precautions you're risking getting grandma killed." and it triggered the fuck outta conservatives who were so horrified by his "holiday threats".

They don't want a guy that "tells it like it is", they want someone that just vocalizes their bigoted, hateful beliefs so they don't have to take as much responsibility for them.
    *cough*
    HE'S NOT HURTING THE RIGHT PEOPLE!
    *cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

They don't want a guy that "tells it like it is", they want someone that just vocalizes their bigoted, hateful beliefs so they don't have to take as much responsibility for them.
    Correct, that’s just an armchair tough-guy thing they like to masturbate their egos with. What it translates to is just petty grievance against “others,” and Trump is the fucking KING of petty grievance so of course he’s their bae.

This is why no sane person would want to go to trial and prefer to settle. It is freaking expensive.

Trump Legal Fees Threaten to Cause Cash Crunch by July

Trump spent $51.2 million in 2023 on legal expenses, and can tap another $23.5 million, most of it stashed in an allied super political action committee that he can use to pay his lawyers.

On top of that, we have the penalties from the cases that he lost.

Trump could soon face over $400 million in legal penalties. Can he afford it?

He is worth $10B. He could afford it.

While the appeal could delay Carroll from collecting her money for years as it winds its way through the court process, it doesn't stop Trump from having to come up with that cash — and then some. Under federal court rules, civil defendants have to post security for awards while they appeal, and in New York, that includes a 9% annual interest rate.

For the $5 million award, Trump had to deposit $5.5 million into a court fund — 111% of the judgment amount.

Given the size of the new award, Trump could seek to use a bond instead of posting the full amount — but that could still be very costly because surety companies can charge up to 5% of the judgment amount. For Trump, that nonrefundable fee would be about $4 million, and he'd still have to put up a large amount in cash and collateral to secure the bond.

"Nobody is going to write Donald Trump a bond for $83 million unless the full amount is collateralized," said Ron Kuby, a veteran New York lawyer. "It would be insanity.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Allegedly, as we've increasingly been learning through this process.

Allegedly, as we've increasingly been learning through this process.
    That was supposed to be sarcasm. Forgot the <s>.

Trump has already said he would appeal if Engoron rules against him, but if he does, he would most likely still be on the hook for the full amount.

David Slarskey, a business litigation lawyer, said that New York state court, like federal court, requires security or a bond and that given the likely size of the award, Trump will probably move to get a bond.

If James gets the full $370 million she's seeking, it could cost Trump up to an $18 million nonrefundable fee to the surety company. And with the 9% interest rate, the amount of money that would have to be put up would be in the $400 million range.

Mattei, who represented families of the victims of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in their successful defamation suit against far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, said that if Trump and his company are hit with a judgment that exceeds his ability to pay, the company "could file bankruptcy protection."

Another possibility would be to liquidate assets to raise cash, a move the AG's office would monitor to make sure he's not squirreling away assets "for his own use rather than the creditors," Mattei said.

Adam Leitman Bailey, a New York real estate attorney who has sued Trump before, said he would most likely have to put up 10% of the judgment in cash while using property as collateral for the remaining amount. "He's running for president of the United States. He's not going anywhere."

Kuby said any bond company would want full collateral for that appeal, as well. "It would be almost four times as crazy as doing it for $83 million without collateral," he said.

Trump is out of money which is why he is going hard at Ronna Romney so he can take over the RNC treasury.

That would be hilarious.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2024-02-16 at 12:45 AM.

When I was a student I worked in a nursing home one summer, I think Donnie needs to be in one!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I will be honest. When Trump won in 2016, I laughed. I still can't quite believe he won. For 2024, a small part of me wants him to win again, purely for how insane it is. To be clear, I don't agree with his politics and I think he is wholly unfit for office. However, 2024 is not 2016. His comments about NATO are chilling. Don't get me wrong- he isn't wholly without a point, a lot of countries have coasted, and wanting to see greater contributions isn't in itself a bad thing. Given the aggression shown by Russia, and his comments about encouraging Putin, as a European I genuinely don't want to see my continent in the next few years turn into the Europe of 1940. Yes, this is still an unlikely outcome, I would go as far to say that it almost certainly won't happen, however his comments, and the prospect of him potentially getting back in make it >0 in likelihood, and yes, this does worry me.
    "I'm not a fan of Trump, but..." posts are always hilarious.

This is why no sane person would want to go to trial and prefer to settle. It is freaking expensive.

Trump Legal Fees Threaten to Cause Cash Crunch by July

On top of that, we have the penalties from the cases that he lost.

Trump could soon face over $400 million in legal penalties. Can he afford it?

And considering the tax fraud case currently running against him and the statements in there about falsified records I imagine any collateral would be double checked and physically inspected by an independent source to check if its is actually worth the stated amount.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

That was supposed to be sarcasm. Forgot the <s>.

Trump is out of money which is why he is going hard at Ronna Romney so he can take over the RNC treasury.

That would be hilarious.
    I sense another exclusive Trump NFT sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I sense another exclusive Trump NFT sale.
    You should. The SEC just cleared Truth Social for sale and the stock price jumped. He'll get a cash infusion from that. Oh, the site still blows and it'll still fail, but Trump will sell it off before that, then post on Twitter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You should. The SEC just cleared Truth Social for sale and the stock price jumped. He'll get a cash infusion from that. Oh, the site still blows and it'll still fail, but Trump will sell it off before that, then post on Twitter again.
    Trump has an infinite money glitch in the form of his supporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not infinite. But it will last the rest of his life. The second Trump is no more, that well dries up and the family, the business, and the GOP has nothing.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Keep in mind it's not infinite in throughput, however. He can't just pull a billion dollars out of thin air whenever he wants. It's a constant stream of money, sure, but even that can only go so far if not allowed to build up.

So, in an apparent smart move, or probably because of fear, Trump is withdrawing his appeal to the SCOTUS about presidential immunity on his current cases.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...33cc8461&ei=16

Trump opts against Supreme Court appeal on civil immunity claim over Jan. 6 lawsuits

Lawsuits seeking to hold Donald Trump personally accountable for his role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol can move forward after the former president chose not to take his broad immunity claim to the Supreme Court.

Trump had a Thursday deadline to file a petition at the Supreme Court contesting an appeals court decision from December that rejected his immunity arguments, but he did not do so.

The appeals court made it clear that Trump could still claim immunity later in the proceedings in three cases brought by Capitol Police officers and members of Congress.

"President Trump will continue to fight for presidential immunity all across the spectrum," said Steven Cheung, a Trump spokesman.
    The civil lawsuits against Trump are separate from the criminal case against him that also arose from Jan. 6. On Monday, Trump asked the justices to put that case on hold on immunity grounds.

Trump's lawyers argued that any actions he took on Jan. 6 fall under the scope of his responsibilities as president, thereby granting him immunity from civil liability. The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia rejected that argument, ruling that Trump was acting in his role as a political candidate running for office, not as president.

But the court added that when the cases move forward in district court, Trump "must be afforded the opportunity to develop his own facts on the immunity question" in order to show he was acting in his official capacity. He then could again seek to have the lawsuits dismissed, the court said.

The legal arguments being made by Trump are similar to those he is making in his criminal case as he seeks to prevent a trial from taking place before the November election.

In rejecting Trump's immunity claim in the criminal case, a different panel of judges in the same appeals court did not directly address whether Trump's actions were official acts. The court instead assumed that they likely were official acts and found that, even then, Trump could not claim immunity.

The lead plaintiff in the civil immunity case is James Blassingame, a Capitol Police officer who was injured in the Jan. 6 riot. Fellow plaintiffs in several lawsuits that have been consolidated on appeal include other police officers and lawmakers who were at the Capitol that day.

Some of Trump's lawyers were told not to charge more than $750 an hour after his political advisers blanched at their bills.

How much do these lawyers typically charge?

Kasowitz, a partner at Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP, charges $1,500 an hour for his legal services for Trump.

Did they get paid? Not sure. I would have asked for a deposit. Once the deposit run out, stop all services until more money is deposited into the account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    So, in an apparent smart move, or probably because of fear, Trump is withdrawing his appeal to the SCOTUS about presidential immunity on his current cases.
    God fucking dammit, that feels like a smart move.

Paging Dr. @cubby but, if I'm reading this right, besides the lie of "continue to fight for presidential immunity" when he just bailed on literally the only case, it means he can raise it as an issue in all his remaining cases, because there will be no ruling on any of them -- then appeal them all separately.

Let me say again: he has no chance of victory here. His only option is to lose slowly. If "absolute immunity" is off the table, he can't raise it in any other courtroom. Withdrawing the appeal allows him to continue.