Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I understand, but I have a pretty firm "no-death-penalty" stance in general. And IMO he serves as a better reminder/warning of the perils of electing Republicans to office as a permanent resident of a federal prison than he does as someone that gets the lethal injection while he cries about how this all can't be happening and isn't real.
    I guess agree to disagree. I have a pretty firm stance too, but as I said, this is the exception. Plus he corrupted the SS, and other DOHS and DOD, he can corrupt some prison guard he would not be secure anywhere. Trump being in prison won't deter voters from voting stupid fucks into the white house, neither would putting him down. It's not about detering voters, but putting a president down for selling Top secret information to adversaries of the united states, would serve as a deterrence for people like him from running in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    If I am not mistaken there's nothing in the constitution that says a convicted felon can't run for president though its doubtful that would happen in such a short time.
    But there is in the Presidential Records act, which he clearly violated, MULTIPLE TIMES, that you can get 5 years in prison, something he increased in 2018, and you are disqualified from ever holding office ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The GOP already didn't want Trump, they never wanted Trump and tried to keep him from getting the nomination in the first place.
    Its not up to the GOP leadership if Trump runs again as the Republican candidate. Its up their rabid fanbase that they themselves created and are that just yesterday they were still whipping into a frenzy over the 'Witch hunt'.

- - - Updated - - -

The one thing Republicans care more about then looking strong is winning.
    There is no world in which the GOP purposefully tries to throw the election if Trump secures their primary.
    The republican primary is going to be a shitshow of crazies in a clown car. I can only imagine the debates (if Trump even does debates this time around)
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    But there is in the Presidential Records act, which he clearly violated, MULTIPLE TIMES, that you can get 5 years in prison, something he increased in 2018, and you are disqualified from ever holding office ever again.
    He blackmailed Ukraine, tried to overthrow the US government, openly took bribes from foreign countries, among many many other crimes somehow I don't see this being the thing that will take him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    He blackmailed Ukraine, tried to overthrow the US government, openly took bribes from foreign countries, among many many other crimes somehow I don't see this being the thing that will take him down.
    Only because he had the Senate and the AG backing him, knowing full well they would never remove him from office or indict him. He doesn't have those protections now. Garland should absolutely have indicted him on Ukraine for bribery and extortion, but this is as big, or bigger.

Only because he had the Senate and the AG backing him, knowing full well they would never remove him from office or indict him. He doesn't have those protections now. Garland should absolutely have indicted him on Ukraine for bribery and extortion, but this is as big, or bigger.
    Merrick Garland is a centrist who won't rock the boat which is why I think all this will do is push Trump to announce earlier. He knows once he says he will run for president he is basically home free. I gave up hope once they nominated Garland, there's a reason Mc Turtle thought Obama would never appoint him to the supreme court.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if he already did. He has had them for almost 2 years since he lost the election, hell, he could have had them the day he was inaugurated for some of these items. We don't know when he took them.
    Or who he gave them to.

Or who stole them.

Or who has them now.

Literally a fundamental breach of our nuclear security, and he's somehow still not in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    he's somehow still not in jail.
    Because he's too big to jail in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Or who he gave them to.

Or who stole them.

Or who has them now.

Literally a fundamental breach of our nuclear security, and he's somehow still not in jail.
    Innocent until proven guilty. And doing things by the books, as we're seeing and have been frustrated by, takes a fair amount of time. Especially with a case as serious and complex as this. Remember, there's no precedent for a criminal investigation including search warrants for a former POTUS who may have violated the law, much less the Espionage Act. So this is all uncharted territory.

i still believe its almost impossible for billionaires (especially those with political power) to face consequences in America.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/12/fbi...assified-trump

Wall Street Journal also confirming that classified and top secret information was taken from Trump's personal residence.
    Niiice. Please just let them actually manage to pin something on that fucker for once and make it stick. I am worried for America's future though. If they can't pin anything on him he becomes a martyr and wins in 2024. If he goes down he still becomes a martyr and some shit will probably kick off. Not saying that's a reason for justice not to be done btw. To be honest the best outcome for everyone would be if he just croaked.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i still believe its almost impossible for billionaires (especially those with political power) to face consequences in America.
    To be fair they don't even have to be billionaires just millionaires political connections are cheap.

Oh fuck no. If true, he needs to spend his remaining days - and long may they be - in federal prison, with TV's in every room playing CNN and MSNBC coverage of the investigation and trail on repeat. I want him to spend as much time being globally humiliated as humanly possible, and serve as a constant reminder to the MAGA cult about what they supported and how it ended.

And every time Republicans even think about bringing up security and "BUTTERY MALES" just remind them that their former head of the party and POTUS they defended in two impeachments, is in prison for life for selling US secrets abroad. He'd be a traitor.
    Trump is 76 and it usually takes about 20 years to go through the appeals and clemency process. He'd be well into his 90s if they got around to strapping him to a gurney before he died of natural causes. Also, didn't Biden put a moratorium on the death penalty in federal cases?

When you have former Generals and whatnot facepalming at what was found at Mar-A-Lago, you know you fucked up.

https://www.salon.com/2022/08/12/exp...worse_partner/

"Former senior intelligence officials said in interviews that during the Trump administration, highly classified intelligence about sensitive topics, including about intelligence-gathering on Iran, was routinely mishandled," the newspaper reported. "One former official said the most highly classified information often ended up in the hands of personnel who didn't appear to have a need to possess it or weren't authorized to read it. That former official also said signals intelligence — intercepted electronic communications like emails and phone calls of foreign leaders — was among the type of information that often ended up with unauthorized personnel. Such intercepts are among the most closely guarded secrets because of what they can reveal about how the United States has penetrated foreign governments."

That pattern may not have ended when Trump left the White House after losing the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden.

"A person familiar with the inventory of 15 boxes taken from Mar-a-Lago in January indicated that signals intelligence material was included in them," the newspaper reported. "The precise nature of the information was unclear."

Former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal tweeted, "Signals intelligence (like electronic intercepts) are some of the most sensitive and secretive material in the US."

"There are a host of special markings and protections on every such document," Katyal noted.

The fact signals intelligence was reportedly recovered at Mar-a-Lago shocked national security professionals.

Retired USAF Gen. Michael Hayden, who served as director of the NSA and CIA, simply tweeted, "Jesus Christ."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh fuck no. If true, he needs to spend his remaining days - and long may they be - in federal prison, with TV's in every room playing CNN and MSNBC coverage of the investigation and trail on repeat. I want him to spend as much time being globally humiliated as humanly possible, and serve as a constant reminder to the MAGA cult about what they supported and how it ended.

And every time Republicans even think about bringing up security and "BUTTERY MALES" just remind them that their former head of the party and POTUS they defended in two impeachments, is in prison for life for selling US secrets abroad. He'd be a traitor.
    Agreed. Life in prison, and not confined to home. If he's in danger in general population, then let's put him in solitary. With a guard controlled tv set on MSNBC (nice touch btw).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    To be honest the best outcome for everyone would be if he just croaked.
    Not really, that would be among the worst options as he will go down as a hero to them who never had to face justice and whom many will use that fact to claim it was all a witch hunt and he was innocent while many will run on his same schtick because it was normalized and not punished.

Him dying without a hint of justice guarantees a repeat or worse.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...59107340763139

Bret Baier, on the Obama documents, confirming that yes, Obama followed all the proper processes and rules to get the documents for his presidential library and that there is no similarity between what's happening with Trump. Or even Hillary's emails.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/10276899002/

So about the whole, "Trump signed a law about classified records that means he can't run for POTUS again." bit...not quite.

Most legal experts are skeptical that it can be enforced, as the Constitution sets requirements and the legislature can't simply change those via a law - it would require an Amendment. It would be challenged up to the SCOTUS, who would, even with a balanced court, likely overturn that aspect of the law as it is unconstitutional.

So yes, Trump could be convicted on all charges, including the new felony he signed into law, and still run for president from prison if that's where he ends up before the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Yeah, I don't see this leading anywhere due to this reason. Hell, he'll probably win votes from it all. It's so fucked up. :s

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The espionage thing is actually kinda delicious. They thought nothing bad would come from saying ok to having this released? lol

If this is the stuff they kept, I wonder what was flushed (why would you not burn it, btw?).

Yup. Be at least 35, be an American, you're all set for presidential life.
    Because I highly doubt you can start a fire in the WH without a lot of alarms going off. But you can flush a toilet just fine.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    MtG's latest tweet is a retweet about what she's doing. Her feed is basically about this right now.
    Sounds like an attempt at obstruction of justice to me.