View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I think possibly the saddest thing about your inability to accept that you're not welcome here is that you have absolutely nothing new or even remotely intelligent to say.

Wow, the self-delusion is strong with this one. You seem to be entertaining the delusion that everyone is hanging on your every word of wisdom. It is truly pathetic.

In your 10,000 posts and eight years here, I would have thought you would have learned by now that:

1) No one is really listening to you.
    2) You aren't very smart. You aren't even the garden variety intellectual you think you are.
    3) People talk past each other on forums anyway.
    4) You've wasted a huge amount of your life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    and start stocking food?
    Do you have delicacies such as this in France? EU cuisine pffftt My guilty secret with long expiry dates...

Along with a few courses of Amoxicillin bought OTC in Thailand I think I am good to go. Bring it on :P
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I would actually laugh if your plan fell to shit. You and people like you putting us in this situation because of your stupid outlook. You should be the one to suffer, you and Dribbles. You are the ones who brought this on the country, you should be the ones to pay for it.
    It's fairly standard that the people who support Brexit are the ones who either profit or are insulated from the negative effects.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It's fairly standard that the people who support Brexit are the ones who either profit or are insulated from the negative effects.
    No one is truly insulated from it. Those best protected in the financial elite mostly backed Remain.

There was a huge working class vote for Leave-those people are going to get destroyed by this.

Quote Originally Posted by trathlope View Post
    Wow, the self-delusion is strong with this one. You seem to be entertaining the delusion that everyone is hanging on your every word of wisdom. It is truly pathetic.

In your 10,000 posts and eight years here, I would have thought you would have learned by now that:

1) No one is really listening to you.
    2) You aren't very smart. You aren't even the garden variety intellectual you think you are.
    3) People talk past each other on forums anyway.
    4) You've wasted a huge amount of your life.
    Lots of hate you have saved up there, buddy. Not sure what you're doing this for. You're accomplishing jack shit and all you do is earn an ulcer on the way. Kind of a bad deal for you, don't you think?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Lots of hate you have saved up there, buddy. Not sure what you're doing this for. You're accomplishing jack shit and all you do is earn an ulcer on the way. Kind of a bad deal for you, don't you think?
    I am stating a simple fact. No one really listens to anybody on these forums, it is just a waste of time.

That you interpret such an obvious statement as hate suggests strongly you felt uncomfortable that you have wasted so much of your own life essentially providing free content for MMO champion's owners, despite the thin pretense of clever-clever superiority you are attempting to affect. You should.

Quote Originally Posted by ghuipolap View Post
    I am stating a simple fact. No one really listens to anybody on these forums, it is just a waste of time.
    Actually, we have pretty decent conversations in between making fun of people like you.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Deleted
    Heh, good one.

Nobody expects you to join the UK. What we do wonder, though, is how the Irish would feel about a hard border. Now, we know you're no fans of the idea and would prefer no border, to keep peace on the Island. But let's assume Dribs' wet dream comes true and the UK crashes out due to sheer incompetence (ie. being British). How would Ireland act? What do the Irish think? Would they understand the EU's need for integrity and a properly maintained border?

The alternative is cutting Ireland out of the EU, really. And that's an idea the EU wouldn't want.
    As far as I'm aware a hard border is not an option. It would take us right back to 30 years ago according to some of the people I know. I don't know if thats true as 60% of the population in Dublin isn't Irish so most of my friends here aren't even Irish and have no stake in any of it.
    I don't really know anyone outside of the Dublin area except some of the girlfriends family which I don't talk politics with :P.

Ireland out of the EU isn't possible I think, we also have a debt to pay the EU which I guess we don't have to when we get kicked out? Not sure how that would work?
    The 3rd option is to put the North back with the republic but that is not going to happen in our life times. We can't handle that kind of financial stress. We can hardly take care of our self's as it is :P.

Like think of it from our part. What the English are forcing us to do is to build a wall between the republic of Ireland and the North and thus separating the Island once again just because they are acting like a bunch of dicks.
    How would you feel if people forced you to get the wall back up in Germany and separate the country again just because some racist asshole got into people's minds and decided that was a good idea?

good to know brexit has finally wittled down to two options:

no deal vs remaining in the eu

both options will destroy the tory party. thank me later guys when we're living in a proper demsoc society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    What I am wondering is (presuming you are Irish) how likely is it that a few years of a botched no-deal Brexit and perhaps (I truly hope it won't happen but being pragmatic), a reprise of sectarian violence would lead to majorities for reunification on both sides of the border (with the added benefit that now it would also immediately mean NI being back in the EU and shattered supply chains can be salvaged).
    I am.
    I don't see a reunification being a thing. Still a lot of bad blood in this country for the English (and people in NI) especially the older folk. I'd say not in our lifetimes anyway.

Also the Republic can't handle the ever growing debt NI is building up that the UK has been paying for. The EU would have to step in and pay for that and help build up that part of the country as its still in shambles. Not sure if the EU would be up for that.

Also its a bit mad to think the Irish people are going to pay up for the mistakes the UK is making because they are a bunch of racist assholes that feel like they are superior to the rest of the people living on this rock.

Deleted
    Sadly though, you are. By all accounts, Ireland will be hit nearly as hard as the UK by Brexit. I am sure the EU will try to help through the cohesion fund but as everyone who actually can bother to read knows, the EU budget is tiny so the cohesion fund can only do so much. Hey, we should take it away from Poland since they don't care that much about EU cohesion and send it your way.
    We probably will be. I just don't see how.
    We have 3 more years (give or take?) to pay back 50 billion to the ECB for bailing out the banks a few years ago.
    The country has like 150 billion more debt. We keep borrowing to repay debts that just adds to the interest. The housing crisis is on its way with apartments going up to 2k a month as it stands and just going up and up. The roads and buildings are horrendous.

the country is broke as fuck at this stage fighting an overwhelming debt we can't repay and now the English decided to come fuck us over again.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    We have 3 more years (give or take?) to pay back 50 billion to the ECB for bailing out the banks a few years ago.
    The country has like 150 billion more debt. We keep borrowing to repay debts that just adds to the interest. The housing crisis is on its way with apartments going up to 2k a month as it stands and just going up and up. The roads and buildings are horrendous.

the country is broke as fuck at this stage fighting an overwhelming debt we can't repay and now the English decided to come fuck us over again.
    The Republic is far from broke nor is it overwhelmed with debt. Irish debt to GDP is lower than the UK's and GDP is now back at pre-financial crisis levels and growing.

7+ Year Old Account

This is what's wrong with the EU, that money Ireland got lent didn't come from them. A lot of it came from UK taxpayers, specifically the English, who some of your countrymen despise. Some gratitude would be nice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...loan-1.3053791

Everything EU = good, everything English = bad. See how the EU warps reality? They don't have any money of their own, it all belongs to the people who they take it from. Enough is enough, they are not stealing it from the UK any more.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    This is what's wrong with the EU, that money Ireland got lent didn't come from them. A lot of it came from UK taxpayers, specifically the English, who some of your countrymen despise. Some gratitude would be nice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...loan-1.3053791

Everything EU = good, everything English = bad. See how the EU warps reality? They don't have any money of their own, it all belongs to the people who they take it from. Enough is enough, they are not stealing it from the UK any more.
    You should have given it to us in the first place to make up for ramp sacking the country for 600 years, destroying any and all Irish infrastructure the language and much more.
    Can't wait for Brexit to go through and the UK being turned into a 3rd world country.

7+ Year Old Account
    You should have given it to us in the first place to make up for ramp sacking the country for 600 years, destroying any and all Irish infrastructure the language and much more.
    Can't wait for Brexit to go through and the UK being turned into a 3rd world country.
    Yeah, well after 600 years it's really time to get that chip off your shoulder over what happened in pratically the dark ages.

Must be such a burdonsome weight to bear. Do you really think that's healthy for your state of mind, carrying the sins of the ancient ones on your shoulder?

As far as I'm aware a hard border is not an option. It would take us right back to 30 years ago according to some of the people I know. I don't know if thats true as 60% of the population in Dublin isn't Irish so most of my friends here aren't even Irish and have no stake in any of it.
    I don't really know anyone outside of the Dublin area except some of the girlfriends family which I don't talk politics with :P.

Ireland out of the EU isn't possible I think, we also have a debt to pay the EU which I guess we don't have to when we get kicked out? Not sure how that would work?
    The 3rd option is to put the North back with the republic but that is not going to happen in our life times. We can't handle that kind of financial stress. We can hardly take care of our self's as it is :P.

Like think of it from our part. What the English are forcing us to do is to build a wall between the republic of Ireland and the North and thus separating the Island once again just because they are acting like a bunch of dicks.
    How would you feel if people forced you to get the wall back up in Germany and separate the country again just because some racist asshole got into people's minds and decided that was a good idea?
    Let's assume, just for a crazy second, the EU would throw that party for you. Would you even want it? That's what I'm getting after. Don't be rational for a second, dream a little. Germany didn't make the financially smart move with East Germany. Heck, we're still working on fixing that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to be rude, but... how about raising taxes for corps? I mean, it's well known that Ireland is kind of the hotspot for European HQs for some companies, because you basically magnetize your country with low to no taxes for them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...lic_of_Ireland
    While Ireland's "headline" corporation tax rate is 12.5%, the evidence is that foreign multinationals pay an § Effective tax rate (ETR) of under 4% on all global profits that they can "shift" to Ireland, via Ireland's 72 bilateral tax treaties. These lower effective tax rates are achieved by a complex set of Irish base erosion and profit shifting ("BEPS") tools which handle the largest BEPS flows in the world (e.g. the double Irish as used by Google and Facebook, the single malt as used by Microsoft and Allergan, and capital allowances for intangible assets as used by Accenture, and by Apple post Q1 2015).
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-07-25 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    Let's asumme, just for a crazy second, the EU would throw that party for you. Would you even want it? That's what I'm getting after. Don't be rational for a second, dream a little. Germany didn't make the financially smart move with East Germany. Heck, we're still working on fixing that.
    I personally would have no issues with it. I know for a fact some of the older folk in the country would. Even some of the younger more extreme ones would.
    Worst case scenario you'd see some violence coming back again I think from some small groups of extremists.

I think if you ignore the money stuff there would be an overwhelming % of support from RoI. (my personal opinion of course, nothing to back this up with).

- - - Updated - - -

Let's assume, just for a crazy second, the EU would throw that party for you. Would you even want it? That's what I'm getting after. Don't be rational for a second, dream a little. Germany didn't make the financially smart move with East Germany. Heck, we're still working on fixing that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to be rude, but... how about raising taxes for corps? I mean, it's well known that Ireland is kind of the hotspot for European HQs for some companies, because you basically magnetize your country with low to no taxes for them?
    If we raise the corp taxes and we lost the big companies we lost our biggest asset.
    The companies bring in so many jobs and the people in those jobs spend money boosting the economy.
    Work in one of em my self .

That being said, I am not going to pretend I'm some kind of financial wizard. I could be all wrong of course.

If we raise the corp taxes and we lost the big companies we lost our biggest asset.
    The companies bring in so many jobs and the people in those jobs spend money boosting the economy.
    Work in one of em my self .

That being said, I am not going to pretend I'm some kind of financial wizard. I could be all wrong of course.
    Didn't mean to raise them so everyone runs away. Just enough to give yourself a break. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things. I'm sure your Government is doing what it can. Brexit certainly won't make things easier for you guys.

Yeah, well after 600 years it's really time to get that chip off your shoulder over what happened in pratically the dark ages.

Must be such a burdonsome weight to bear. Do you really think that's healthy for your state of mind, carrying the sins of the ancient ones on your shoulder?
    Oh really? When is that time? Because frankly, 80 years doesn't seem to be long enough to hold a grudge. So what is the magic number? Is it 200 years?

Fuck me the Greek is on my case now. Refresh my memory, what did the English ever do to Aphrodite? Or was it Thor....
    Your view of international politics really is more akin to a gangwar in the back alley of an American city, isn't it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately if there was a referendum and reunification won, that would mean terrorism from unionists for who knows how long.
    *cough* Ship them to the UK, they obviously prefer that.