View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I mean, it quite literally is tax fraud when you don't pay the tax on something you should through deceit. (He said you can push the limit if you get seller to declare it as a gift, which it isn't)

But it's also the kind of tax fraud that no one really cares about, because it's for like, 20 euro value that doesn't get taxed.
    Are you talking about tax or customs? Because customs is customs, not tax. I think we're talking about two different things here. VAT gets added later and isn't part of the customs process.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-import-duties

My word, these Brexit benefits just keep coming, don't they? Extra costs for importing items. Fish that can't be sold. Meat that is rotting in lorries waiting to get abroad. Empty shelves in NI. Lucky dribbles is back from his ban to explain how wonderful this all is.

Showing the slightest contrition yet, dribbles? Or are you still convinced you're right in the face of every piece of evidence to the contrary?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-import-duties

My word, these Brexit benefits just keep coming, don't they? Extra costs for importing items. Fish that can't be sold. Meat that is rotting in lorries waiting to get abroad. Empty shelves in NI. Lucky dribbles is back from his ban to explain how wonderful this all is.

Showing the slightest contrition yet, dribbles? Or are you still convinced you're right in the face of every piece of evidence to the contrary?
    Of course during a global pandemic with the tightening of border controls there will be a few teething problems especially with the EU insisting on ham sandwiches being seized at the border and suchlike, how petty. As for that guardian link and Britons having to pay customs duties when they buy goods from the EU there is a lesson there = don't buy from EU producers and avoid them. A brexit benefit to be had for all of the UK.

Contrition isn't that what remainers are feeling because we didn't leave earlier? Nope it's now a matter of life and death and the British are better off outside the EU. Many are only breathing today because of it...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Are you talking about tax or customs? Because customs is customs, not tax. I think we're talking about two different things here. VAT gets added later and isn't part of the customs process.
    Well, he said tax, I went with tax.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Of course during a global pandemic with the tightening of border controls there will be a few teething problems especially with the EU insisting on ham sandwiches being seized at the border and suchlike, how petty. As for that guardian link and Britons having to pay customs duties when they buy goods from the EU there is a lesson there = don't buy from EU producers and avoid them. A brexit benefit to be had for all of the UK.

Contrition isn't that what remainers are feeling because we didn't leave earlier? Nope it's now a matter of life and death and the British are better off outside the EU. Many are only breathing today because of it...
    No comment about the fact we're ignoring experts (again) and just trying to get everyone their first dose as fast as possible? Even though all the tests for efficacy relied on the second dose being taken within a defined short delay?

Once again the people that brought us Brexit are showing that they don't listen, they don't learn and they don't understand. They just rely on cheap headlines to fool the people that don't want details. And as with Brexit, we'll see where we are in six months time compared to the EU. My prediction; they would have caught and passed us, while we get concerned about mutations of the virus that we've created by not fully vaccinating people.

And predictably you've changed the subject as well; because you don't want to talk about all the problems that Brexit is already causing. Do they even register in your brain? Or is your reality filter still telling you that Brexit has been a marvellous success and nothing is wrong?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Well, he said tax, I went with tax.
    Fair enough.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I’d like to draw attention to the above recent quote and the below not-so-recent quotes:

One thing the Coronavirus has shown us is how awful the NHS/universal healthcare in practice actually is, I don't think it can survive in its current form long term after this shambles.
    Because it's useless? No one with the choice submits themselves to the horrors of the UK NHS. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The only argument for it is as a health service for emergencies only, if you get run over by a bus for example.
    Well the NHS has been exposed as truly awful during this covid bug that's going around, the sooner it's privatised properly the better. I feel sorry for the government puppets that used to clap for it on their doorsteps, don't see it any more though do you. People know now how bad the NHS really is, no wonder the private healthcare industry is booming.
    I understand there are two separate issues here - vaccination approval and roll-out - I just thought it was quite funny.

Another point in all this vaccination business. The vaccines were tested with a 3 week gap between first and second dose - UK decided to expand this to I believe 12 weeks thus allowing more people to be given the initial shot, but also leaving them for longer before they get the full effect and there was no certainty that it would not decrease the effect of the vaccination. At least some EU countries have increased the interval though not to my knowledge as much as the UK.
    The EU insisted on holding the manufacturers financially responsible should side effects show up later on as is the custom with such products. UK waived this to speed up the acquisition process as far as I'm aware.

If it turns out that the UK vaccination strategy works as one would hope then that is wonderful news, but it was done by skipping normal procedures intended to protect citizens and hold companies accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    Another point in all this vaccination business. The vaccines were tested with a 3 week gap between first and second dose - UK decided to expand this to I believe 12 weeks thus allowing more people to be given the initial shot, but also leaving them for longer before they get the full effect and there was no certainty that it would not decrease the effect of the vaccination. At least some EU countries have increased the interval though not to my knowledge as much as the UK.
    The EU insisted on holding the manufacturers financially responsible should side effects show up later on as is the custom with such products. UK waived this to speed up the acquisition process as far as I'm aware.

If it turns out that the UK vaccination strategy works as one would hope then that is wonderful news, but it was done by skipping normal procedures intended to protect citizens and hold companies accountable.
    Denmark increased it to a max of 6 weeks, which is as far as the producers have tested it for.

That and the brits decided to take liabiity on themselves, and not on the companies producing them.

Bringing covid vaccine counts into a brexit debate is childish at best, when dribbles however does it, it's odd that he ignores the higher death per capita in the UK compared to the EU on average, or is that also winning?

Covid is a loss for everyone, noone is winning anything here, much like brexit. Also confiscating food at the border is not childish, it's what your PM agreed to, own your brexit instead of throwing it on the EU or remainers.

You "forgot" to have the EU in the graph when comparing the uk to the EU.

Here that is:
    from https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...P&region=World

(And I still remember your complaints about BBC is trying to scare brits to get vaccinated.)

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

Here that is

(And I still remember your complaints about BBC is trying to scare brits to get vaccinated.)
    You know Dribbles will grasp at anything to make it look like a win. Yet he's bitching about food getting confiscated at the border.

The UK is as much a foreign country to the EU as Turkey is. Add how scottish fisherman are sailing their catches to Denmark to sell it at auctions, because they earn far more than they do on the british market. It's honestly hard to see where the UK gained anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    You know Dribbles will grasp at anything to make it look like a win. Yet he's bitching about food getting confiscated at the border.

The UK is as much a foreign country to the EU as Turkey is. Add how scottish fisherman are sailing their catches to Denmark to sell it at auctions, because they earn far more than they do on the british market. It's honestly hard to see where the UK gained anything.
    Turkey is in the customs union ...

7+ Year Old Account

Here that is:

Your graph does not show comparables although it is nice that you see the UK as significant as a whole continent to be compared like for like. However the eu is not recognised as a nation state but a mere international organisation. Certainly that is how the UK sees it when yesterday it sent the new eu ambassador packing deeming him unworthy to meet our Queen...

In a Slight to E.U., U.K. Says Not All Ambassadors Are Equal

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/w...mbassador.html

Quite right too.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I love all those import taxes articles popping up everywhere, starting from people refusing to pay and thus returning the product to manufacturers thinking about just destroying the merchandise instead of returning it.
    Though, to be fair, a lot can be attributed to the average citizen (everywhere) being... not exactly bright/infomed (choose what you prefer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Your graph does not show comparables although it is nice that you see the UK as significant as a whole continent to be compared like for like. However the eu is not recognised as a nation state but a mere international organisation. Certainly that is how the UK sees it when yesterday it sent the new eu ambassador packing deeming him unworthy to meet our Queen...

Quite right too.
    Wow ... so much sovereignty ...
    Let's talk about this again next week after the UK's next U-turn.

Quite right too.
    Meh, Europeans do not care tbh. But you do

Meanwhile some of your bretheren is seing reality, perhaps some day you'll grow a pair and do the same https://twitter.com/BylineTV/status/...htmode%3Dfalse
    Last edited by Crispin; 2021-01-22 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Here that is:
    [img]https://i.ibb.co/thNCrwc/cumulative-covid-vaccinations.png[img] from https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...ESP®ion=World

Not to disagree with you too much, but it's also worth looking at the vaccination rate per capita. The EU has a lot more people than the UK, so looking at absolute numbers is kinda moot.

But it's also worth pointing out why the UK is currently ahead, and that's because they rushed to get the vaccines while the EU waited a bit to make sure they were safe

Not to disagree with you too much, but it's also worth looking at the vaccination rate per capita. The EU has a lot more people than the UK, so looking at absolute numbers is kinda moot.

But it's also worth pointing out why the UK is currently ahead, and that's because they rushed to get the vaccines while the EU waited a bit to make sure they were safe
    Sorry - got into a muddle and deleted my first response.

Basically, I think we have to be very, very careful here not to politicise Covid.

I may not trust BJ and co., I do however trust bodies such as MHRA, NICE etc.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4759

Usually, the UK would wait for the European Medicines Agency to approve a vaccine before looking to distribute it, but in an emergency EU countries are allowed to use their own regulator to issue temporary authorisation. In October the government made changes to the Human Medicines Regulations 2012 to allow the MHRA to grant temporary authorisation of a covid-19 vaccine without needing to wait for the EMA.2

Though some MPs have suggested that this approval process has been made possible only because the UK is leaving the European Union, Salisbury said that is not true. The MHRA acted in line with EU regulations, and any other EU country could have done the same, he said.

Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, has said that still being in the transition period may have helped speed up the approval because UK staff have not had to assess new vaccines or drugs intended for the whole EU for the past 18 months, allowing them to focus on the UK authorisation.

However, this will change from 1 January 2021 when the MHRA will become responsible for handling all applications for new drugs and vaccines to be authorised in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Sorry - got into a muddle and deleted my first response.

Basically, I think we have to be very, very careful here not to politicise Covid.

I may not trust BJ and co., I do however trust bodies such as MHRA, NICE etc.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4759

Usually, the UK would wait for the European Medicines Agency to approve a vaccine before looking to distribute it, but in an emergency EU countries are allowed to use their own regulator to issue temporary authorisation. In October the government made changes to the Human Medicines Regulations 2012 to allow the MHRA to grant temporary authorisation of a covid-19 vaccine without needing to wait for the EMA.2

Though some MPs have suggested that this approval process has been made possible only because the UK is leaving the European Union, Salisbury said that is not true. The MHRA acted in line with EU regulations, and any other EU country could have done the same, he said.

Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, has said that still being in the transition period may have helped speed up the approval because UK staff have not had to assess new vaccines or drugs intended for the whole EU for the past 18 months, allowing them to focus on the UK authorisation.

However, this will change from 1 January 2021 when the MHRA will become responsible for handling all applications for new drugs and vaccines to be authorised in the UK.
    Hungary just approved Russias Sputnik vaccine, it's quite clear that while the EU encourages members to work in sync, they can't force them to do it.

Quite right too.
    Funny, how UK had no issues with that when you were in the EU. They were even against Trump when he did snubbed EU ambassador, because then, even after Brexit vote, UK totally thought that EU ambassadors should have full rights as those of individual countries.

Two faced lies, dribbles, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.