Is antivirus/malware protection necessary anymore?

I'll be building a new gaming rig within the next few days. I've been using a Mac for years, and haven't owned a windows PC since shortly after XP released. Are antivirus, malware protection, etc necessary or is the built in Windows defender and adblocking enough? The rig will mainly be used for gaming, the mac will still be my "main" computer.

If other 3rd party protection is needed, what do you recommend? Thanks for the advice.
    Only a great fool would vote for a lunatic. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate on the Right.

But they must have known I was not a great fool, and would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the corrupt candidate on the Left.

I have used anti-virus programs that I have paid for in the past. My most recent PC, however I decided that Windows Defender would suffice, despite still having an active subscription for Kaspersky on my older PC.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

MSE is frequently in the top 3 virus products out there, I would just leave it at that myself.

We had an intrusion at my work a couple of weeeks ago and there was a witch hunt. We did a full scan of everyone's computers and I am pleased to say even with malware bytes and another virus scanner all I had was a single PUP(potentially unwanted program which is nearly a false positive lol) for malware bytes. My virus history for the past 8 years is also completely clear. How you use your computer matters.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I just use BitDefender for years, I am pretty sure that MSE would suffice too, simply because I am not frequenting potentially unsafe grounds and it is not bad overall.

But I am fine with tossing 30 bucks BitDefender way every year, it's a small money and they are top notch. I think MSE is good enough though.

I only use Windows Defender.

I've never used anti-virus in 25 years. The "anymore" part makes me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    I'll be building a new gaming rig within the next few days. I've been using a Mac for years, and haven't owned a windows PC since shortly after XP released. Are antivirus, malware protection, etc necessary or is the built in Windows defender and adblocking enough? The rig will mainly be used for gaming, the mac will still be my "main" computer.

If other 3rd party protection is needed, what do you recommend? Thanks for the advice.
    Depends what you're doing. If you're only ever visiting official websites and you're very diligent with email protection then probably not needed.

However, if you ever torrent, download files from a potentially dodgy source or visit non-standard site then yes it is recommended.

I personally use Trend Micro for peace of mind. Even with anti-virus you're not 100% protected.

Depends how much you care about the rig though. If a full wipe and reboot of your HD is a minor annoyance for you then save the money and keep good backups.

I built my first gaming pc this week, then I downloaded bitdefender total security and malwarebytes to be safe. As far as I know they don't have much impact on games, plus bitdefender is free for a month so you can try it.

As IT man and fixer of family computers YES PLEASE install full security software like Bitdefender Internet security .

I fixed so many computer full of virus and maleware while they had default windows defender and firewall..its not enough.

Are antivirus, malware protection, etc necessary or is the built in Windows defender and adblocking enough?
    If your operating system supports AppLocker or Software Restriction Policy, use it. Otherwise, there is no additional software needed.

The question is "Who is gonna use the PC and what for", if you are gonna be having not-so-bright family members on the PC then Yes.

Eset/Bit Defender/Malware Bytes, anything can work, they are all good enough.

If you are the only one thats gonna use the PC without clicking on random stuff then No, the default ones are fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only ever used Windows Security Essentials (the precursor to Windows Defender) and now Windows Defender for going on eight years now.

Never had a problem.

Only time i had a virus is when i wrote it my self 20+ years ago in DOS times and there where no VMs to "test" it But to the point, if you know what you are doing and dont click on suspicious things unless you are inside VM that suppose to be for clicking and opening suspicious things, you dont need it, however if you dont trust your self then i would say Windows Defender is not enough.

If you are serious about your security, yes.. you should probably scan files and background processes, if you don't know what files and programs you download from the Internet, exactly do.

Other than that, the most important thing by far is script blocking on your Internet browser. And ofc being critical in everything you do on the Internet.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2017-11-25 at 02:22 PM.

ok, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
    Only a great fool would vote for a lunatic. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate on the Right.

But they must have known I was not a great fool, and would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the corrupt candidate on the Left.

Im only using Malwaresbyte premium and thats it, Bitdefender its a PoS and its specially a pita when you try to uninstall it

i use the free avg and windows defender (simply because i'm too lazy to google how to turn windows defender off)