Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Arizona, so I'm never lacking for sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

That combined with an existential crisis has made these past few months some of the shitiest in my life. Please god just strike me down already. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Alcohol and good company is usually the remedy up here.
    I get it's a joke, but light skin and a great fishing industry is probably what helped your people in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Vitamin D supplements are what we used in Alaska to combat SAD. It's a fat soluable vitamin and it takes several weeks to kick in, so it's good to get in the habit of supplementing with D year round.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10888476
    I read recently the D amount they recommend is actually far too low:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28768407

Thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Hope you're handling it. Depression is no joke.
    Depression as an illness isn't the same as being depressed. If you understand that life is a pile of depressing shit, then it's completely healthy to be depressed because of it. In fact, you'd be out of your mind to be happy whilst having a depressing existence.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, i'm a robot. Nothing affects me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I get it's a joke, but light skin and a great fishing industry is probably what helped your people in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

I read recently the D amount they recommend is actually far too low:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28768407

Thoughts?
    I'm not a medical professional, but my impression is that the amount of supplementation that a person needs varies quite a lot. About a year or two ago I had my D levels measured and was shocked that my levels were low. I was taking multivitamins that probably gave me 300% DV of D each day through supplements alone, and it was *still* under the recommended limit.

Right now I'm on a prescription level of vitamin D of 50,000 IUs a week and it seems to help a ton. I know when I start needing more D as I start craving sunshine (sounds weird).

A lot of bad things can happen when someone starts taking too much of a fat-soluable vitamin (unlike water soluable vitamins, where you simply pee out the excess for the most part), so people should def consult their physician and have blood tests done before self-diagnosing.

i like it when it's dark early and longer dark in the morning,it makes me not regret that i don't go outside when it's good weather

Christmas is my happy time, and the colder the climate, the fluffier the snow!

I'm more prone to depression in the spring and summer, which isn't relieved by the fact that I'm allergic to pollen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get extra bummed every year in March/April.

THIS time of year sends me through the roof. I love rain and snow and cold and night time.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I don't really get super bothered by it until after the holiday season passes. Somehow the lights and festive decorations help.
    I loathe the early months of each year. Once the Christmas and New Year celebrations are over everything's rather quiet until April. It doesn't help that it's usually just cold, wet and dark for most of that time either. I like it when it's dark and/or rainy...just not during that time of year.

I am at my best when winter comes, probably because i'm born right after christmas.

Not much difference. Depressed as normal and sleep patterns still shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    What's the opposite of SAD (is this even a proper acronym for it?)? I actually get happier with the cold and snow.
    SAD doesn't only apply to winter, fyi.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    SAD doesn't only apply to winter, fyi.
    Didn't say it did. Just said that instead of feeling worse, I feel better than normal. That and it's winter hence my mentioning of cold and snow.

I always kick it in its nuts. Fuck Seasonal Affective Disorder in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Didn't say it did. Just said that instead of feeling worse, I feel better than normal. That and it's winter hence my mentioning of cold and snow.
    The answer is right in front of you - the other side of the coin is that you feel worse during non-winter seasons.

There's no "opposite" of SAD, because the "opposite" of SAD is just simply depressed mood during different seasons, which is just a rarer form of SAD.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Some of us need to work and pay taxes so people like you can do what you do.
    Guess you missed the part where he said he suffers from Duchenne muscular dystrophy. But keep jumping to your own conclusions.

Not everyone out of work is a scummy dole dosser.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The darker and gloomier it is, the happier and more relaxed I am.

It's summer at the moment. I hate Summer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Christmas is my happy time, and the colder the climate, the fluffier the snow!

I'm more prone to depression in the spring and summer, which isn't relieved by the fact that I'm allergic to pollen.
    Unfortunately we rarely get snow, usually wet and grey

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Vitamin D supplements are what we used in Alaska to combat SAD. It's a fat soluable vitamin and it takes several weeks to kick in, so it's good to get in the habit of supplementing with D year round.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10888476
    I feel bad because your post is pretty informative, but admittedly all I got from it is that you supplement the D all year round