Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    snip.
    1) Totally agree, game was boring throughout and the late 'drama' was like a balloon with a small hole wheezing out air and flying around the room before hitting the ground with a plop.

2) I LOVED when Romo was praising McVay for taking extra time to stay in the huddle like bitches until the 15 seconds on the playclock hit so Brady couldn't adjust on the fly. Totally worked.... Hell even Romo said a couple plays later they might want to speed up the temp. No. Shit.

3) McVay played a really Vanilla plan. Reminded me of Chicago in the Snoozebowl vs the Colts. Did they try any trick plays? Anything quirky? I don't remember it.

4) He'd best be injured otherwise the fuck was that? Anyways, even injured he was better than anything else they had going..

5) Fuck the Refs.

6) Cheatriots I hear people call them. Not that I use the moniker but I guess it is fitting when a player suspended for PEDs wins the MVP.

6a) Don't tell that to nuts Patriot fans.

7) We'll be suffering with more Pats games with those two for a while yet.

8) At least NE/NO would not have been such a shit game, at least Payton has some balls on his playcalling. Rams had a freeroll for winning a game they didn't earn and looked like they didn't bother to gameplan at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    While I'm probably not quite as harsh on the defensive effort--I thought it was still quite good, I do mostly agree with this. I'm probably overreacting to this game, but McVay is a complete fraud. What a shit show on the biggest stage. Punting on 4th and 3 in Patriots territory; running a draw on 3rd and long; having nothing ready for anyone but Cooks. He's still young, and will probably get more chances, but what a joke of a coaching effort that was. Did he not watch last year's Super Bowl? (or any of the failures before that) You aren't beating the Patriots if you coach scared. Offensive genius my ass. Ok /end of overreaction.
    The underneath was open all day long for the Rams, they just were calling Cooks's number when Reynolds and the backs were open all day out of the backfield. They threw two RB screens and a WR screen in the 4th quarter and they were by far their most successful there. The weakness of this Pats team is underneath, in the middle, especially once Chung was out and Hightower literally grimacing in pain on the sideline while being taped up. Shitty shitty shitty gameplan by McVay, and very uncharacteristic of how he calls games normally.

Last year, Pedersen was Pedersen. LET MCVAY BE MCVAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    1)
    8) At least NE/NO would not have been such a shit game, at least Payton has some balls on his playcalling. Rams had a freeroll for winning a game they didn't earn and looked like they didn't bother to gameplan at all.
    I know we butted heads a bit on who was more aggressive, McVay or Payton, and this game was a point for you in that argument. I can't imagine Payton calling a game as timid as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I know this is monday morning quarterbacking, but I've wondering in the past if McVay is overrated because he has an awesome roster... Gurley, those WRs, and the best offensive line in the NFL.

We'll find out.
    We'll find out for sure in the next few years when those contracts start to murder the team. They paid heavy for Cooks,Gurley, Donald and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

I know we butted heads a bit on who was more aggressive, McVay or Payton, and this game was a point for you in that argument. I can't imagine Payton calling a game as timid as this one.
    I think we're both kind of stunned about just how god awful that gameplan was from McVay. But yeah, I can't see Payton calling such a terrible game. I mean suppose Gurley really was hurt but they've known it going in and still didn't seem to adjust. I have no words for it. I hated the fact the Rams were even there and then for them to go in with such a lame duck plan is that much more sour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    We'll find out for sure in the next few years when those contracts start to murder the team. They paid heavy for Cooks,Gurley, Donald and so on.
    Aren't those guys already on big contracts? I think it's Goff's contract they have to worry about. I have a guy I follow on Twitter openly pondering whether McVay will want to replace Goff instead of pick up the 5th year option, and pick his own guy on a rookie contract in the stacked 2020 draft.

I generally agree that it's McVay making Goff look good here. If McVay had Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, the Rams are an unstoppable machine (but then they probably can't afford their defense/Cooks/Gurley/probably Woods).

Last year, Pedersen was Pedersen. LET MCVAY BE MCVAY!
    I think this is it right here. The Patriots are 3-1 in their last 4 Super Bowls. In all 3 of those wins, the coach on the other side just did some uncharacteristic bullshit instead of doing what got them there. While sticking to what got them there isn't a guarantee of a win, you could make a pretty strong argument it would have been in a few of those (*cough* Seahawks/Falcons).

I don't understand why (almost)no one learns. I know it's all easier said than done, but it's just frustrating to watch this. Belichick and that entire Patriots team must own so much damn real estate in other coaches' heads.

Also, Twitter is the worst. Are they really upset that Spongebob only got a 5 second cameo? Spongebob doesn't belong in the Super Bowl at all you whingey fucks.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't those guys already on big contracts? I think it's Goff's contract they have to worry about. I have a guy I follow on Twitter openly pondering whether McVay will want to replace Goff instead of pick up the 5th year option, and pick his own guy on a rookie contract in the stacked 2020 draft.

I generally agree that it's McVay making Goff look good here. If McVay had Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, the Rams are an unstoppable machine (but then they probably can't afford their defense/Cooks/Gurley/probably Woods).
    I'd be worried about letting Goff walk and playing the draft.

I'd be entirely fine tonight with letting Goff walk and signing someone better. And honestly "above average in any system" would be better than "system QB with a ceiling of above average."

- - - Updated - - -

Also there is nothing good about scoring 3 points in the Super Bowl.

If it wasn't for his name value I'd say McVay is on the hot seat next year after that debacle.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

That is my point though, they have major contracts on the books and eventually Goff is going to have to get paid and then they'll be fucked. I mean they have contracts like Suh that was basically a rental. If they dump Goff somehow and get a new QB from the draft then it might work. But that is not a sure thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    If it wasn't for his name value I'd say McVay is on the hot seat next year after that debacle.
    He's won two divisions titles and a conference title in his first two years as a head coach. Our coach went 6-10 this year after eking out a wild card spot on a 9-7 record the year before, and no one is thinking of replacing him.

Also, Twitter is the worst. Are they really upset that Spongebob only got a 5 second cameo? Spongebob doesn't belong in the Super Bowl at all you whingey fucks.
    Neither does maroon 5 though.

I mean Bill Belichick coached Lawrence Tayler and won 2 SB with that defense, so he have a lot of defensive experience to put pressure on this new Rams team.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Also there is nothing good about scoring 3 points in the Super Bowl.

Okay let's dial that back. I think his seat is ice cold. He isn't going anywhere for a while.

Also, addendum to my previous post, without dwelling on the politics of it too much:

9) Fuck the NFL for literally playing a speech by MLK Jr, having his daughter do the coin toss with John Lewis in the background, have a prepackaged, produced piece about Goddell visiting all the poor black neighborhoods, etc, in a year when they caved soooooooooooooooooooo hard on the kneeling protests which were.....you guessed it......about the protection of civil rights of African Americans. I know it's Atlanta, where King was based. But you're in the fucking Mercedes Benz stadium, let's not pretend you give a fuck about Atlanta's ties to the Civil Rights movement.

Also, addendum to my previous post, without dwelling on the politics of it too much:

9) Fuck the NFL for literally playing a speech by MLK Jr, having his daughter do the coin toss with John Lewis in the background, have a prepackaged, produced piece about Goddell visiting all the poor black neighborhoods, etc, in a year when they caved soooooooooooooooooooo hard on the kneeling protests which were.....you guessed it......for the protection of civil rights of African Americans. I know it's Atlanta, where King was based. But you're in the fucking Mercedes Benz stadium, let's not pretend you give a fuck about Atlanta's ties to the Civil Rights movement.
    I love it when rich people pretend to give a shit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's won two divisions titles and a conference title in his first two years as a head coach. Our coach went 6-10 this year after eking out a wild card spot on a 9-7 record the year before, and no one is thinking of replacing him.
    Hang on lemme check what team that is. Okay yeah it's the Bills, figured as much.

Honestly? I'd say your coach was top of my list of "most likely to be fired after next season" list prior to the Cowboys admitting Jason Garrett is coaching for his job again.

But that's beside the point.

For all their regular season success, the Rams haven't really shown up in the postseason these last two years. Last year they got waxed by the Falcons in the wild card round, with 10 of their 13 points coming in a single quarter. Then this season they had to reach into their bag of trickery, and get an extremely controversial zebra event just to make it to the Super Bowl where they put up 3 points. Which, by the way, ties Miami from Super Bowl VI for the least scored in Super Bowl history.

McVay could very well end up in the category of "if their QB does't pan out, he won't be around to develop the next one."

Full disclosure I also think he could be another case of "got their first job too early and will get another one when he's 50 and go onto win 4 Super Bowls."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    And they went all in this year. Whitworth is 37 with a 15 million cap hit next year. Cooks' cap hit goes from 4 mill this year to 15 mill next year. Suh is a free agent. Goff's rookie contact expires next year. They're likely losing Joyner.
    Yet early looks at the betting shows the Rams with under 10-1 odds to get back there, I sure don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    I think this is it right here. The Patriots are 3-1 in their last 4 Super Bowls. In all 3 of those wins, the coach on the other side just did some uncharacteristic bullshit instead of doing what got them there. While sticking to what got them there isn't a guarantee of a win, you could make a pretty strong argument it would have been in a few of those (*cough* Seahawks/Falcons).

I don't understand why (almost)no one learns. I know it's all easier said than done, but it's just frustrating to watch this. Belichick and that entire Patriots team must own so much damn real estate in other coaches' heads.
    I think this bolded part right here is the most important thing in this whole game, and it was what I was telling my co-workers last week. It isn't that the Patriots are so spectacularly good, it is that they are a good team with an absolutely dominant mental game. Brady very well might be the best quarterback of all time, but he isn't even close to the best quarterback in 2019. He probably wasn't even the best quarterback in this game. But the Rams lining up in their defense weren't playing against the Brady that was actually there, they were playing against the legend of Brady that was in their heads. Nearly that entire line was in high school or younger when Brady won his first Super Bowl, and they all saw him do it. And it got in their head so bad that when they play him they choked.

The Rams had the better team. And two weeks ago the Chiefs had the better team. But they both lost, because neither team really played the game in front of them. And the Patriots always play the game they are in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    He probably wasn't even the best quarterback in this game.
    That's some pretty serious hyperbole you got going there. Brady didn't play great, but Goff was just downright awful.

One of the worst Super Bowl games I've seen. Anyway, will Brady retire now?