Thread: The Boys

Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yeah, final episode definitely felt anti-climactic. Why even have that (admittedly minor) development for Black Noir to have him die instantly? Why did A-Train do fuck all in this episode? What even is The Deep's storyline? We haven't even seen Giancarlo Esposito in an episode since he just bamfed out stage left like 3 episodes ago.

Why is neither the Soldier Boy, Neumann, or Homelander "triangle of powerful villains" not even partially resolved? The only person's arc who seems remotely finished might be Maeve.

But even then, I imagine that she'll be back superpowered once The Boys all have to inject permanent V to fight Homelander, which is something I thought should have happened at the end of this episode because The Boys would be on the brink of death. At the end of the day, M.M., not suped up at all, survived a fight in which Soldier Boy and Homelander were both on the opposite side. Frenchie brewed a nerve gas in minutes. Butcher apparently doesn't die immediately from his 5th dose of TempV, he has 12-18 months left to live, removing the immediacy of finding a solution to that.

Ryan's flip to being his daddy's sycophant and that chilling smile seems out of nowhere too. He had a stable figure in Grace, and it seems weird to me he immediately ran to Homelander for a few platitudes. Did Grace never explain to him the psychosis of Homelander?

All in all, it felt like they were like, "Oh, let's extend this out for more seasons." Hopefully they make a definitive end to this series, and not drag it out for years and years, because that's where stories always fail.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-07-08 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A-Train's story was completely meaningless, I was really hoping for something to come outta the finale that had some payoff of that buildup. Really thought Homelander was gonna off him in the little meeting where he told The Deep to kill the VP candidate. The Deep being useless other than a Homelander bootlicker makes sense to me. His character seems like a play on Aquaman being the most useless super hero trope from when I was younger.
    Last edited by Vetali; 2022-07-08 at 04:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was pretty good, but it seemed like the writers were more focused on setting up season 4 rather than finishing season 3.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The final kinda ruins the season for me.

Solider boy is just suddenly super invested in killing homelanders to the point where he fights butcher for it even though he was just treating it as an exchange up till this episode. His PTSD is never addressed, him stripping sups of V is never addressed, he never gets any real development other then his dad was disappointed.

Butcher just drops every thing to fight solider boy for no reason when he could have just got Ryan to safety and let SB and Maeve fight in the meantime.

Atrains story feels like it was cut short.

Noir feels is just completely wasted.

Homelander had some development with Ryan but him just getting away with a super public murder feels like a huge dropped ball.

Ryan Feels like he’s down a complete 180 just because butcher was mean to him in the most generic way ever.

Frenchie is a unneeded and nonsensical deus ex.

Maeve Feels like the actor wanted off the show so they wrote a crap way to get her out of the picture.

Kimiko had a 180 from wanting to not be monster to revealing in her brutality.

MM starlight and Hugie seem to be the only characters who has actually good endings that don’t make there arch’s this season feel wasted.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Another thing that bothers me is how contrived the sides in the final battle seemed to be.

Soldier Boy, who has perhaps the best moment in this weak finale monologuing about his father, is against Homelander because he immediately just falls into the same pattern as his father? He's had how many decades to think about how he'd raise a son differently, and then immediately decides to arbitrarily kill the son he never had because he's "a pussy"?

Homelander, who's yearned for a father figure his whole life, is willing to oppose Soldier Boy instantly because he threw Ryan into a wall? He knows Ryan is a supe and should be okay. I wonder if Maeve didn't get in the way if he really would have tried to kill Soldier Boy. In the end, we not only don't see a continuation of the Herogasm fight between Homelander and Soldier Boy, we even see Homelander and Butcher temporarily team up to protect Ryan. And don't get me started on Ryan...

...Ryan is arbitrarily on Homelander's side. We seen Butcher slag Ryan off and "abandon" him earlier in the season, but no one thought to explain to him that Butcher was doing it to protect him? And that Butcher actually cared for him? It seems like a total reversal of all the relationship building we did between him and Butcher last season and early this season.

Starlight's "fight" with Soldier Boy seemed....weak as fuck. It feels like, even with her suped up light-nuke or whatever, she wouldn't have been able to survive a prolonged fight with SB at all. Short of kicking Stormfront at the end of last season, her physical fighting seems ridiculously weak for a member of The Seven.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Starlight's "fight" with Soldier Boy seemed....weak as fuck. It feels like, even with her suped up light-nuke or whatever, she wouldn't have been able to survive a prolonged fight with SB at all. Short of kicking Stormfront at the end of last season, her physical fighting seems ridiculously weak for a member of The Seven.
    I mean compared to Soldier Boy and Homelander yeah she is weak. you could say the same about The Deep or A-Train, in a straight one on one fight not using their abilities they're not that powerful. stronger than a human, absolutely, but compared to supes like SB, Homelander and Maeve, nope not even close

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean compared to Soldier Boy and Homelander yeah she is weak. you could say the same about The Deep or A-Train, in a straight one on one fight not using their abilities they're not that powerful. stronger than a human, absolutely, but compared to supes like SB, Homelander and Maeve, nope not even close
    Yeah being a Supe doesnt necessarily buff you in other areas. Otherwise no way in hell Butcher is able to beat up a dude that turns his skin into diamond back in season 1 with the translucent fist fight

Pretty cool finale, definitely got some "middle of 5th avenue" vibes from the end. Somewhat surprised Soldier Boy was more devoted to the cause than Butcher, though obviously there were other factors at play. Not 100% convinced we're entirely done with Noire but we'll see. VP spot definitely became important as I expected, wasn't sure who it'd be between Vicky and HL, had originally figured HL cause of all the Trump parallels but thinking back she makes a lot more sense, HL would never settle for VP.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah being a Supe doesnt necessarily buff you in other areas. Otherwise no way in hell Butcher is able to beat up a dude that turns his skin into diamond back in season 1 with the translucent fist fight
    He wasn’t able to beat Translucent up. They electrocuted him. Butcher got a couple punches in, but he was getting his ass handed to him until Hughie shoved a live wire up Translucent’s ass. And that’s AFTER Butcher hit the guy with a car.

5+ Year Old Account
    Maeve giving Homelander a nosebleed was the highlight of the finale.

Best episode was Herogasm for sure, because Homelander got his ass kicked.

Bottom line is, if Homelander gets hurt the episode is good.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2022-07-08 at 11:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hoped we'd see A-Train and Deep side with The Boys against Homelander or something at the end there, but maybe next season.

All in all I definitely enjoyed this season.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Pretty cool finale, definitely got some "middle of 5th avenue" vibes from the end. Somewhat surprised Soldier Boy was more devoted to the cause than Butcher, though obviously there were other factors at play. Not 100% convinced we're entirely done with Noire but we'll see. VP spot definitely became important as I expected, wasn't sure who it'd be between Vicky and HL, had originally figured HL cause of all the Trump parallels but thinking back she makes a lot more sense, HL would never settle for VP.
    The Trump parallels are numerous, but this was always a one I couldn't really believe. When Trump said "I could kill someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and people would cheer for me," I was like....nah. That's one thing you couldn't get away with. So of course it's jarring in the dystopian world that Homelander's followers would cheer after he blatantly murders a protester. Still doesn't seem believable to me.

The Trump parallels are numerous, but this was always a one I couldn't really believe. When Trump said "I could kill someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and people would cheer for me," I was like....nah. That's one thing you couldn't get away with. So of course it's jarring in the dystopian world that Homelander's followers would cheer after he blatantly murders a protester. Still doesn't seem believable to me.
    Let's put it this way, if Trump had gone to the attack on congress on Jan 6th and pence had been hanged in front of his supporters under his supervision, there are many that would have cheered or awaited the reaction of their peers. I have no doubt of it.

You're probably right that when Trump said it it wasn't true for many of them. Nowadays though I'm pretty sure a decent number of his followers would claim self defense or deny the killing. Especially if it wasn't someone random. Let's say someone who attacked their side or even someone who they perceived "assaulted" Trump or his son like this guy did.

your extremly naive if you think trumps fans wouldnt cheer the death of the people they dislike,why do you think they whent to the capitol armed and prepared to hang people?just for the lulz?

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    your extremly naive if you think trumps fans wouldnt cheer the death of the people they dislike,why do you think they whent to the capitol armed and prepared to hang people?just for the lulz?
    and its naive to think it would be different with a reversed situation

I sort of agree but I still like how they shot the scene. It’s like the crowd isn’t sure how to react until one of them breaks the tension. It’s almost like being granted permission to hate. Trump isn’t much different from your average Republican. The only thing that genuinely sets him apart is his lack of shame.

I didn't like Ryan's development at all. I had to ask if he was mentally disabled.

I don't understand Soldier Boy's motivation at all. Why would he even care to kill Homelander?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I didn't like Ryan's development at all. I had to ask if he was mentally disabled.

I don't understand Soldier Boy's motivation at all. Why would he even care to kill Homelander?
    Because he is disgusted by his son. Just like his own father was digusted by him.

Ryan's behavior makes some sense. He was rejected by one father figure (Butcher) so he limped to the next one (Homelander), who actually happens to be his actual father.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Because he is disgusted by his son. Just like his own father was digusted by him.

Ryan's behavior makes some sense. He was rejected by one father figure (Butcher) so he limped to the next one (Homelander), who actually happens to be his actual father.
    I think its why I hate kids in tv shows. They are just so unbelievably dumb. No kid is that stupid.

I mean, you had capitol police get killed on Jan.6 ...and the Repuiblican Party is still trying to push "these people did nothing wrong"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.