Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Ad inside the news post?!

Why are you disguising an ad as part of a news post? That's really low. You ain't gonna make me disable my adblocks by doing worse things.
    It's clear you've done this, because it's not actually blocked by either of my 2 blockers. Why? Because you've added this as a link, as part of your news post, thus it doesn't register as an advertisement.

Reeeeaally scummy.

And if that's not the case and my 2 excellent blockers aren't blocking this particular ad...well, that's even worse.

Last edited by Noomz; 2018-07-09 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Why are you disguising an ad as part of a news post? That's really low. You ain't gonna make me disable my adblocks by doing worse things.

The reason is because as more people use ad-block the more sites have to advertise like this, if you have ad-block on you are stealing revenue just like a pirate who steals digital media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you do it for a Klondike Bar?

Chocolate coated ice cream so thick and rich no room for a stick
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    It's clear you've done this, because it's not actually blocked by either of my 2 blockers. Why? Because you've added this as a link, as part of your news post, thus it doesn't register as an advertisement.

Reeeeaally scummy.

And if that's not the case and my 2 excellent blockers aren't blocking this particular ad...well, that's even worse.

Because its a Curse game my god the world is ending the company that runs the forums I am reading is supporting their own products get over it stop acting like a child.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2018-07-09 at 05:34 PM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The reason is because as more people use ad-block the more sites have to advertise like this, if you have ad-block on you are stealing revenue just like a pirate who steals digital media.
    I will gladly disable my adblock if MMO champ will take fiscal responsibility for any damage done to my computer from the adds on their site.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm protecting my PC and my privacy from malicious, spying advertisements that are a backdoor for dangerous malware and adware. Ontop of many ads being very disruptive, with animations and auto-playing sound or even auto-playing video (so that you have to click it and "accidentally" enter the ad site doing so). So blocking that shit also helps browsing performance.
    Remember last time Wowhead had these malicious ads? I do. And I ain't gonna take a fucking risk like that.
    So don't give me these crocodile tears.
    They could just block me from viewing the site if that was an actual problem. You are actually gonna use MORE deception to make me see ads? That's absurd AND insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, I'm avoiding things that are forced upon me.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41EFJFwj4yL/IMG]
    Waw! Klondike bars! So delicious and these are things I say as a normal person just like you!

Deleted
    That said the advert bypasses adblockers because it is the original kind of advert, an <a> tag behind an image.

If the crap that my adblocker removes was replaced by these types of ads, I'd let them be. I'd even click them once in a while to keep the site going.

If this is happening because we're all using ad-blockers then I think we're finally winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not true Because people are paying for the service that brought them here.

You can't charge people for walking on the sidewalk they already pay tax money for to see your store or what's in it through a window.

You can Block people for looking in and charge them to come inside to take a look.

You however can't invite them in, let them look around and then decide to bill them for coming in and taking that look.

When Websites start becoming part of the business like Comcast or whoever provides the service being paid for, well then maybe they have a claim but as it stands no.

No, I'm protecting my PC and my privacy from malicious, spying advertisements that are a backdoor for dangerous malware and adware. Ontop of many ads being very disruptive, with animations and auto-playing sound or even auto-playing video (so that you have to click it and "accidentally" enter the ad site doing so). So blocking that shit also helps browsing performance.
    Remember last time Wowhead had these malicious ads? I do. And I ain't gonna take a fucking risk like that.
    So don't give me these crocodile tears.
    They could just block me from viewing the site if that was an actual problem. You are actually gonna use MORE deception to make me see ads? That's absurd AND insulting.
    That on the front page is neither. It's literally a thumbnail hyperlink. If you don't click it, nothing is going to happen. It's no different from me, or anyone else, linking a thumbnail here. See the Klondike bar image above, literally the same thing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Because its a Curse game my god the world is ending the company that runs the forums I am reading is supporting their own products get over it stop acting like a child.
    Said the guy derailing with personal insults.

WHy not write about the game on the news post? "Hey! Look at this game from Curse! Have a peek! This is what this game is" and so on? Nah just slap a link onto the news post with nothing else, that's ain't gonna inspire trust.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can manually block it by opening one of your adblockers and blocking "||media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2018/july/bombz.jpg"
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Waw! Klondike bars! So delicious and these are things I say as a normal person just like you!
    What about these

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/del.h-cdn.co/assets/16/30/delish-klondike-bars-pile.jpg?crop=1xw:1.0xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/IMG]

Would you pay for one of these, if so which one?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    That on the front page is neither. It's literally a thumbnail hyperlink. If you don't click it, nothing is going to happen. It's no different from me, or anyone else, linking a thumbnail here. See the Klondike bar image above, literally the same thing.
    Well that's good to know.
    No, I can't click the Klondike image and the Klondike image doesn't take me to a different site.
    If you're gonna advertise some new Curse game, why not properly include it in a news post? Show me what it is, tell me about it, let me know what the hell you've just slammed into the news post with no information. I'm not a fan of clicking links to anything that I can't recognize and the name of the link just says bit.ly, not the actual destination you'll get to when you click it. That's shit I will NOT click.
    I made an exception right now however, and woopetydoo, I'm right, the actual site it takes me directly to this browser game. No explanations, no information, nothing. Just here, a game. I don't even know whos game it is!

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    That said the advert bypasses adblockers because it is the original kind of advert, an <a> tag behind an image.

If the crap that my adblocker removes was replaced by these types of ads, I'd let them be. I'd even click them once in a while to keep the site going.

If this is happening because we're all using ad-blockers then I think we're finally winning.
    This. I have no problems with advertisement, and if I am really honest I like them; especially if they are advertising something I might actually be interested in but would not otherwise be exposed to. Found some neat things this way.

This little banner for a game on the news page affects me exactly not at all. The day all advertisements are as harmless as this little image link is the day my adblocker is uninstalled. Though if I really needed to find something to be annoyed about I guess it would be the lack of a description or summary of what the image is advertising so I can decided if I want to click and find out more or just ignore it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

It needs a stick

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    This. I have no problems with advertisement, and if I am really honest I like them; especially if they are advertising something I might actually be interested in but would not otherwise be exposed to. Found some neat things this way.

This little banner for a game on the news page affects me exactly not at all. The day all advertisements are as harmless as this little image link is the day my adblocker is uninstalled. Though if I really needed to find something to be annoyed about I guess it would be the lack of a description or summary of what the image is advertising so I can decided if I want to click and find out more or just ignore it.
    But I have a problem with it, a problem of privacy and security.
    Nah the link doesnt affect me, but the deception of it turns my stomach. Is it deliberate that they've omitted giving information to MAKE people click it? That'd be terrible. And it's exactly that kind of deception that makes me not trust websites with advertisements.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was a normal advertisement, I wouldn't see it with Premium. I did see it. It's probably just a 1-off for one of Curse's games

Deleted
    At most you're stealing bandwidth, not revenue. Also pirates don't steal anything, as "victims" don't actually loose anything.