Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oooh fuck.

I just had a thought.

It sure is interesting that the Alliance is losing Night Elves left and right - like, almost to the extent of them being wiped out completely - immediately prior to the plot getting a sudden huge injection of Naga. Former Night Elves. Corrupted Night Elves.
    Especially since we're, presumably, going to be killing the source of their corruption in this same expansion... leaving a looooot of presumably-no-longer-corrupted Night Elves with nowhere to go. And the Alliance with a giant, Elf-shaped hole to fill.

I'm calling it now, where everyone can see.

I'm pointing up at the stands.

But BOY do I hope I miss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane-Villain View Post
    So this is the truth beyond the truth. The burden is too heavy.
    Aaah Dans... or some say Danuser...

Like you did for the Vacuous Ion... grant us eyes...

Grant us eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think people are taking this Danuser thing a bit too far, personally. He's the inspiration for Nathanos' current look and wrote "Dark Mirror," but it isn't as if he's the sole source of influence on Nathanos' character or anything.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think people are taking this Danuser thing a bit too far, personally. He's the inspiration for Nathanos' current look and wrote "Dark Mirror," but it isn't as if he's the sole source of influence on Nathanos' character or anything.
    I agree insomuch that mocking the guy is uncalled for (come on people, he's literally just doing what he loves)... but I do think there is definitely an interesting connection to be gleaned between one of Blizzard's top writers practically RPing as Nathanos, and the sudden spike in the character's plot relevance.

Even if the connection only goes as far as one writer going "Hey we need a new character to focus on!" and Danuser replying with "Actually there's this character in Vanilla that I thought was pretty fun!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy Scratch View Post
    I agree insomuch that mocking the guy is uncalled for (come on people, he's literally just doing what he loves)... but I do think there is definitely an interesting connection to be gleaned between one of Blizzard's top writers practically RPing as Nathanos, and the sudden spike in the character's plot relevance.

Even if the connection only goes as far as one writer going "Hey we need a new character to focus on!" and Danuser replying with "Actually there's this character in Vanilla that I thought was pretty fun!"
    Given the connection between Sylvanas and Nathanos (well established all the way back to Classic and going forward), it seems pretty obvious that as Sylvanas' proverbial star waxes so must Nathanos' in his role as her personal champion and most trusted confidante. Danuser is... effusive in his affection for the character, but I don't think his opinion is really critical insofar as the character's role thus far goes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

"Man, Blizzard writing is so dumb, why would they have an undead character become embittered and hateful against those they think spurned and abandoned them?"

*cough*

Or heck, just remove "undead" from that phrase.

to be honest. i already found blightcaller to be the most annoying quest give during horde world quests. but now that i know that Nathan (and yes thats what im gonna call him now too) is a self insert character by a guy who has a boner for sylvanas. i can't wait for Nathan to slip on a banana peel and break his neck, because he doesn't deserve a cool death. just something lame like tripping on a stump and falling head first into a pit of spikes he just made to kill some alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Given the connection between Sylvanas and Nathanos (well established all the way back to Classic and going forward), it seems pretty obvious that as Sylvanas' proverbial star waxes so must Nathanos' in his role as her personal champion and most trusted confidante. Danuser is... effusive in his affection for the character, but I don't think his opinion is really critical insofar as the character's role thus far goes.
    I think that its just that "proffesionals" hired by huge company acting like "those people" on deviantART is what worries people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think that its just that "proffesionals" hired by huge company acting like "those people" on deviantART is what worries people.
    Perhaps - but most people who develop, design, and write for games tend to be rather passionate and artistic types, with all the eccentricities that entails.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Perhaps - but most people who develop, design, and write for games tend to be rather passionate and artistic types, with all the eccentricities that entails.
    Here is the thing - if you are writing your own series, its free americana, do what you want. Wanna make main character a totally idealised version of yourself *cough* eragon *cough* go for it. Worst case scenario, people will call you out/your book will floop.

But when you are working with estabilished universe, pushing your self insert (or your precious, idealised son - im looking at you goldy girl) is just....kinda cringy. Like you can't get rid of taste of shitty fanfic from the darkest corners of DA.

the question then becomes. on scale from not very eccentric to..... later in life Howard Hughes eccentric. how eccentric is this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by bowlink View Post
    the question then becomes. on scale from not very eccentric to..... later in life Howard Hughes eccentric. how eccentric is this guy.
    "Collector of interesting-looking insect carapaces" eccentric would be my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Here is the thing - if you are writing your own series, its free americana, do what you want. Wanna make main character a totally idealised version of yourself *cough* eragon *cough* go for it. Worst case scenario, people will call you out/your book will floop.

But when you are working with estabilished universe, pushing your self insert (or your precious, idealised son - im looking at you goldy girl) is just....kinda cringy. Like you can't get rid of taste of shitty fanfic from the darkest corners of DA.
    I don't really think that's applicable, here. Nathanos' personality has long been established - including his slavish devotion to Sylvanas and his thorny, rather snide disposition toward anyone else. He can't really be an "author insert" of Danuser's because Danuser didn't create the character to begin with, and only his most recent remodel has anything to do with Danuser specifically. That they share some kind of fondness for Sylvanas is besides the point - he is probably riffing off of Nathanos in this case as opposed to the reverse.

Similar to Christie Golden and Anduin - she didn't create Anduin, she's only been with Blizzard as a head writer for about a year. Anduin's personality has been slowly being unveiled since 2010, so Anduin isn't and can't be an author insert of hers or even an "idealized son," either. You can of course dislike either person's contributions to said character (I'm not a fan of Golden's odd attachment to Anduin myself), but that doesn't mean either person has complete and unchecked control of either character.

Honestly, I have no issue with Nathanos. He grates sometimes, but he's among the more tolerable of the current Horde cast and he gets some good one liners in. There's no real personality change and save for making it explicit in Dark Mirror, it was always heavily implied that he and Sylvanas were an item while alive. Past that they barely really interact in person and even in the story he personally wrote regarding the two, he remains willfully oblivious and both are basically wrecks. The dude is as he was in Vanilla except with a beard.

The same I can't say about Golden and Anduin, both because he's a much bigger character and because Anduin has the potential to have a fairly traditional and interesting hero coming of age arc but instead is ideal from beginning to end which messes with far more stories. There have been moments where I've liked Anduin, such as him coming to terms with being king in 7.1 or really, even his blunders in 8.0 in his haste to avenge Teldrassil, both are in character, the issue is that even the latter isn't acknowledged as a flaw and undermines other characters. Nathanos' only time undermining any other character is with the Night Warrior and even that is basically down to poor framing and can be fixed a lot more easily, Anduin has that issue wherever he goes.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Saw an interesting line on the Alliance side, from Tyrande.
    "Teldrassil burned because I decided to spare Saurfang's life."
    What is this nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    "Man, Blizzard writing is so dumb, why would they have an undead character become embittered and hateful against those they think spurned and abandoned them?"

*cough*

Or heck, just remove "undead" from that phrase.

Yeah Tyrande begging them to come home is spurning and abandoning them. You know Arthas needed to put Sylv under mind control and when she broke free her entire goal in unlife became to kill him. She didn't serve him of her own free will.

Deleted
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=287754/...e-8-1-spoilers

Alliance scenario is here!
    @Aucald can you change the thread title to 'Alliance and Horde Darkshore quiestline spoilers' now please?

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Saw an interesting line on the Alliance side, from Tyrande.
    "Teldrassil burned because I decided to spare Saurfang's life."
    What is this nonsense?
    "This whole war is without honor, how dare you spill so much innocent blood for nothing?"
    Honestly it's more than welcome to see someone else accused of doing shit. It reduces the chance of Sylvanas becoming a scapegoat and Tyrande identifying sparing Saurfang and leaving the field to tend to Malfurion and thus abandoning her people with the Burning is a nice touch. Not super reasonable, but I get what they were trying to do.

Also, as a preliminary, the Alliance questline is already an improvement. The Night Warrior power's first intro is petrifying an entire garrison. It's a damn shame about the ending, because while Tyrande is consistently "No mercy, no rest" in her dialogue, the ending screws her over. I say cut Malf entirely, he's unnecessary, and just have her oneshot Nathanos and have the Val'kyr raise him while the two ressed ones retreat. Same result, but Tyrande is a lot more plausibly powerful. Also, for Horde side, make it so that Night warriors can't be raised.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Guessing Elune will make an appearance since so much is being focused on her at this point. If blizzard and the devs don't show Elune all this will be for nothing. Making it seem as if the night elves follower something that isn't there. Hold the devs and writers to this, or else they will keep avoiding having Elune appear.

How many Valks is Sylvannas down to now? Since Nathanos is brought back by one plus another is used to raise the night elves.
    Last edited by tripleh; 2018-10-08 at 11:32 PM.

Deleted
    as I expected, Genn got butchered once again. @Wildberry you are gonna hate this

Anduin: You said nothing, Genn. What more could I have done?

Genn: The night elves saved my people from our curse--gave us refuge in Darnassus.
    Genn: Countless gilneans died when it fell, boy. I nearly lost Mia.
    Genn: I won't let them endure the same fate we have--the worgen will fight by their side.

this is the old version. look what they did to poor Genn in the new one :

Anduin Wrynn says: Of course. You know you can always speak your mind.
    Genn Greymane says: I cannot stand idle as they endure the same fate as we did. Gilnear will fight by their side.
    Genn Greymane says: I don't mean to defy you. But if I didn't give the order, I think Mia would charge off to battle without me.
    Anduin Wrynn says: I understand, Genn. Light be with you.

There's a huge difference in tone between, "You said nothing, Genn. What more could i have done?" and "Of course. You know you can always speak your mind."

There's a huge difference between calling your High King "boy" multiple times in a room full of VIPs and not calling him "boy" at all.

There's a huge difference between, "Countless gilneans died when it fell, boy. I nearly lost Mia." and "if i didn't give the order, I think Mia would charge off to battle without me!".

Genn got neutered AS FUCK because of that PATHETIC boy king
    Last edited by mmoc524571bc6f; 2018-10-08 at 11:44 PM.

what. i have waited since cata quests to return with my buddy belmont conquer of gilneas and blizz kill him?
    fucking alliance T_T
    T_T T_T

vengeance for belmont!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaikal21 View Post
    as I expected, Genn got butchered once again. @Wildberry you are gonna hate this

Genn got neutered AS FUCK because of that PATHETIC boy king
    Golden got her hands on the script and she wasn't going to let that old white man get away with criticizing our glorious leader. At least the night elves still call him out.