10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yeah, probably best Disney drops her after those comments—hope they do. Seems they may already have, based on that last episode.
    To be honest, putting aside the twitter crazy comments, I never got how people like her playing that character. I mean the character is fine, total badass, but she sucks at acting. 80% of the time she has that kind of stupid smirk regardless of scene or context. She is NOT a good actress. If she gets removed it will suck losing the character but not her.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    She is literally the PRESIDENT of Lucasfilm. She is Favreau's and Filoni's boss.

She didn't make the bad decision in the sequel trilogy. TLJ was all Rian Johnson. RoS was JJ Abrams attempting to undo Rian Johnson.

She wasn't personally responsible for the bad decision.

The only person who would be invoking a fallacy, which no one is, is you.
    Pretty much. The people who try and pretend like she’s had her power taken away like to live in this alternate reality, which is likely the same one where Trump won re-election. It’s like they can’t accept that Lucasfilm can make good content alongside bad content under the same leadership. Rebels happened under Disney and Kathleen Kennedy. Side by side with the sequel trilogy. And Rebels was awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Pretty much. The people who try and pretend like she’s had her power taken away like to live in this alternate reality, which is likely the same one where Trump won re-election. It’s like they can’t accept that Lucasfilm can make good content alongside bad content under the same leadership. Rebels happened under Disney and Kathleen Kennedy. Side by side with the sequel trilogy. And Rebels was awesome.
    Crtics act like she just popped out of nowhere and was a diversity hire. Let that sink in, a diversity hire for one of the biggest production companies in the game. People also don't know/forget that she has had ties with Lucasfilm for decades and we co-chair of the company when Disney bought it. She is ultimately responsible for the sequels running amok as the head person in charge but you can't turn around and discredit her when things go well. The good and the bad projects under her watch. Favreau is amazing, Favreau has a boss. And as a producer, Favreau would be nuts if he wasn't taking advice from Kennedy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    People ignore that Kathleen Kennedy was George Lucas' hand picked successor. It was part of the deal he made with Disney that she would be there. Disney didn't pick her, Disney got stuck with her because of Lucas.

I had an encounter with someone tried to say that Rey and Jyn Erso were inserts for her because like her they were dark haired British women ... I had to inform them that Kathleen Kennedy wasn't British and was born in California. I then had to inform that that George Lucas' first main character was a white male named Luke S. The idea that Star Wars has lacked author insert/influence prior to Disney is laughable.

The issue with Kennedy is that she didn't have someone reign in on the sequels to insure one story. With Mandalorian, you have Filoni and Favreau in control with Favreau being the decision maker and Filoni assisting. There is more order, which is what lacked in the sequels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yeah, agree—she’s a pretty bad actress.

With this last episode, it seems they were leaving her fate open for the supposed spin-off series of the character, but I’m reading that those plans have been cancelled based on her recent comments. Maybe they’ll just replace the actress, who knows...
    Honestly, her character overall is kind of boring. Not a terrible character, but just not an interesting one to me. They hit at more being there, but that's it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

People ignore that Kathleen Kennedy was George Lucas' hand picked successor. It was part of the deal he made with Disney that she would be there. Disney didn't pick her, Disney got stuck with her because of Lucas.

I had an encounter with someone tried to say that Rey and Jyn Erso were inserts for her because like her they were dark haired British women ... I had to inform them that Kathleen Kennedy wasn't British and was born in California. I then had to inform that that George Lucas' first main character was a white male named Luke S. The idea that Star Wars has lacked author insert/influence prior to Disney is laughable.

The issue with Kennedy is that she didn't have someone reign in on the sequels to insure one story. With Mandalorian, you have Filoni and Favreau in control with Favreau being the decision maker and Filoni assisting. There is more order, which is what lacked in the sequels.
    Pretty much this. Add to that that Favreau and Filoni are passionate about Star Wars. They want good shows because they enjoy them themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Pretty much this. Add to that that Favreau and Filoni are passionate about Star Wars. They want good shows because they enjoy them themselves.
    I would guess that Kennedy is at least passionate about sci-fi looking at her body of work.

Imagine if people tried to write Filoni off because Resistance bombed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I would guess that Kennedy is at least passionate about sci-fi looking at her body of work.

Imagine if people tried to write Filoni off because Resistance bombed.
    People did. People were complaining about how kiddy Resistance was and Filoni had lost his mojo or whatever.

But, if you can get through the early episodes, Resistance is actually pretty good.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    On the whole Gina thing, it's why I just don't follow people on social media who I know aren't known for their views. Everyone says stupid stuff and has ignorant thoughts. Some people grow from them, others stay in their ways.

She wasn't hired to be a role model, doesn't try to be one, maybe other fighters look up to her but it's not because of what she has to say off the clock. What she has put on Twitter is ignorant but I think part of the problem is that celebrities are placed on pedestals. She had those opinions before she posted them only difference is that they just lived in her head. The character she plays is independent of such.

If you looked into everything said by the all performers you've enjoyed you'd probably end up disturbed if you can't separate the art from the artist - of course sometimes you can't depending on what the artist does. As Disney branches out from actors they've groomed and branch into more mature subject matter your going to run into a lot more egg head's of some who have lapses of judgements. Sometimes have to learn say 'I don't fuck with person outside of this particular moment'.

Not much is lost if they boot her, that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

People did. People were complaining about how kiddy Resistance was and Filoni had lost his mojo or whatever.

But, if you can get through the early episodes, Resistance is actually pretty good.
    The SW fanbase can be insane.

- - - Updated - - -

The new Star Wars is missing its 'Obi-wan' type character. I always thought Obi-wan was kind of boy scout but he balanced all the characters especially Anakin's arc. The lawful good character.

10+ Year Old Account

Naw some of resistance was fine but it wasn't nearly as good as rebels or clone wars.

I didn't feel like it was a reflection on filoni though
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

-snip-
    She's an easy target, basically. 'Hollywood libwal!' My personal opinion on the sequel trilogy is also that it was always going to be a poisoned chalice, short of something absolutely brilliant. I was always more in favour of Lucas putting his foot down and saying, 'no, they all lived happily ever after' and then moving on to a different era. It would prevent any kind of additional outrage from fans who were already burnt by the prequels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Naw some of resistance was fine but it wasn't nearly as good as rebels or clone wars.

I didn't feel like it was a reflection on filoni though
    I always felt Resistance was a show that higher ups 'enforced' their vision for a Star Wars kids show, and Filoni simply worked around the restrictions they put in place.

Its nowhere near a great series, but it had a few moments that can be memorable.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    I always felt Resistance was a show that higher ups 'enforced' their vision for a Star Wars kids show, and Filoni simply worked around the restrictions they put in place.

Its nowhere near a great series, but it had a few moments that can be memorable.
    It seems like Disney just wasn't ready for the sequel era because all their stuff pertaining to the other eras is amazing. I haven't heard bad stuff about High Republic.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    The issue with Kennedy is that she didn't have someone reign in on the sequels to insure one story.

Also, the issue is she decided to inject the whole feminist "Force is Female" attitude in the sequels, causing a backlash.

Part of the backlash is, of course, male toxicity in Star Wars fandom, but, judging from myself, is also that some part of the fans didn't want the sequels being used as a vehicle for blatant "woke" advertising.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Also, the issue is she decided to inject the whole feminist "Force is Female" attitude in the sequels, causing a backlash.

Part of the backlash is, of course, male toxicity in Star Wars fandom, but, judging from myself, is also that some part of the fans didn't want the sequels being used as a vehicle for blatant "woke" advertising.
    Honestly, I always felt the backlash against "The Force is female" was overblown. The Force is a life force and life/nature is often described as female. And they wanted to make girls interested in Star Wars because for some reason they thought girls/women weren't interested in Star Wars.

It was bad marketing, but it wasn't woke advertising. Woke is thrown around too often to me that it has literally lost all meaning to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Tam's entire storyline from the end of season 1 through season 2 is amazing.

It is no Rebels or Clone Wars, but it isn't as bad as people thing.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    I know your second statement addresses the toxicity in the fandom, but I just want to focus on this particular bit. There was no 'Force is Female' feminist attitude in the sequels. That entire 'OMG SHE SAID THE FORCE IS FEMALE' thing was manufactured outrage. Here's the lowdown on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Campaign called 'The Force is Female'
    Nike’s Spring 2017 Campaign “The Force is Female” celebrates all #GirlBosses , the new campaign focuses on 6 women who have paved their own way and are inspiring their communities. We love that brands are celebrating women and highlighting their strengths and fearlessness.
    It literally has nothing to do with Disney or Star Wars. It's a Nike campaign launched in 2017. Kathleen Kennedy once wore a t-shirt saying 'the force is female' to the Archer Film Festival, to show support for...women. That's it. It's not some scheme to make Star Wars a female propaganda machine.

I just find it incredibly tragic that people - men or women - get so bent out of shape regarding such insanely innocuous stuff.

This is my basic take on the Disney Star Wars era.

They've made mistakes regarding the films, big ones. The sequel trilogy to me was an unmitigated disaster. But it wasn't due to shoe horned identity politics like the alt-right entertainment fanbase would have you believe. It was simpler...bad decision making. To quote everyone's favourite Sith, they had a lack of vision. It then cascaded downwards, which is only natural given the scale of the project. On a technical filmmaking level there's nothing wrong with the films. The acting is acceptable, the visuals are stunning if unimaginative and the individuals involved fulfilled their mandate.

But the story was so fucking bad. Like holy shit, it was bad. I don't even know where to start, and I don't want to. It hurts!

The failure wasn't driven by identity politics no matter how much some fucksticks from the 'Fandom Menace' (lamest name ever) would have you believe. Making Rey or Phasma or Holdo or Rose a boy wouldn't have changed squat. I mean Jyn was a girl, and Rogue One despite a lack of ambition in the final act (reverted to standard Star Wars 'we have to blow up something' climax), still fucking rocked so damn hard.

Like with any enterprise involving so many different and passionate stakeholders, there's a lot of uncertainty as to what might work. It can take a while to get a sense of direction. People forget the insane amount of missteps at Lucasfilm before Disney turned up to make the sequel trilogy.

- I mean fuck, I loved Return of the Jedi as a kid but if that movie released in today's day and age as a 'third film in a trilogy', it would get lambasted for Ewoks, 2nd Death Star and recycled VFX. It's insane how it had worse visuals than a New Hope despite having a bigger budget.

- Then you had those random animated films in the 80s.

- Then you had all the fucking godawful books full of Gary Stews/Mary Sues. Some of them were good, but the bulk were trash compactor level shit. People can feel free to disagree with me, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and regret getting my Dad to waste countless amounts of excess baggage on carrying those books and comics home for me during trips for work, all the while knowing it was really just a glorified sojourn to Barnes & Noble.

- Let's not forget the games. Episode 1 on PC/PSO/Dreamcast. Episode 2 on GBA. Jedi Power Battles was sick as fuck, but Maul with a single bladed lightsaber on PSOne? I went apeshit. Star Wars Demolition. Star Wars Super Bombad Racing. Masters of Teras Kasi (this one deserved a punch in the face to whomever thought of it). Yoda Adventures. Obi Wan GBA. Force Unleashed 2. Like, people talk about Disney being money hungry, the Lucas Empire was a cash grabbing monolith. They'd release anything that they could on multimedia knowing full well that people would lap it up.

And this isn't the first huge company to have a rocky period. If today's generation lived through Apple in the 80s/Early 90s, they'd have a coronary. The company was a massive joke, releasing bloated software, hardware that was unrealistically priced (to put it lightly) and obsolete at the same time. Point is, company's go through turmoil. And the knee jerk reaction in today's age is to say 'nyaaah libwal/nyaaah conservative'. Not really. It's just bad decisions oftentimes. Yes, the captain of the ship is ultimately accountable, but maybe see how it goes before screaming 'mutiny'?

The Mandalorian is doing fine because shock, they've trusted the creators after putting the right ones in charge. Everything comes together and work continues. But the same goes for Rebels, and to a lesser extend Resistance. Hell, even the comics over at Marvel, the reused art assets aside, don't seem to have created too much consternation amongst fans. The games over at EA, discounting the developer's greed when it comes to MTX on BF2, have done respectably well. The novels have been the novels. Some are fun companion bits, some are dogshit fan fiction. It's all just par for the course, really. The hope is that there will be more great content than meh content, but no one can predict how that rolls out, not even Yoda.

When you look under the hood, it's business as usual. Nothing has fundamentally changed, except there are people out there who feel that every god damn thing needs to be politicised, and then have the cheek to project that notion of 'gosh darn woke politics' onto the people they're trying to 'cancel'. Which is just really ironic. Please note, this isn't some fanboy defence of Kathleen Kennedy, she's not family to me that I'd walk over coals for her. I'm just not naive enough to think she's some antichrist figure. Same way that the song 'George Lucas Raped Our Childhood' was a bit much.

It's funny, that was pre-Disney. Because that's the ugly truth. Star Wars has always been a bit fucking amazing and a bit fucking shit at the same time. It's not new. People just have a bigger platform to whine about it today. And that's fine, just don't fall for every single grift out there.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2020-11-25 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It seems like Disney just wasn't ready for the sequel era because all their stuff pertaining to the other eras is amazing. I haven't heard bad stuff about High Republic.
    It's almost like they planned in advance for high republic.

I don't think they should have done sequel trilogy without planning but I think they learned their lesson.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    It's almost like they planned in advance for high republic.

I don't think they should have done sequel trilogy without planning but I think they learned their lesson.
    Honestly, any company that wants to see how to plan any kind of content rollout needs to go spend some time with Marvel Studios.

Even if the films aren't people's cup of tea, their project planning is absolutely outstanding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, any company that wants to see how to plan any kind of content rollout needs to go spend some time with Marvel Studios.

Even if the films aren't people's cup of tea, their project planning is absolutely outstanding.
    To be fair though early Marvel was a train wreck and I remember reading that the early Ironman movies nearly ended the entire chain of movies. Pretty much the same thing with Star Wars. The problem though is they screwed up the big stuff instead of building on something new and having a rocky start. But the current plans seem to be focused on on the right direction.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account

Tam's entire storyline from the end of season 1 through season 2 is amazing.

It is no Rebels or Clone Wars, but it isn't as bad as people thing.
    Tamra's arc was a rare one for Star Wars, having someone question the morality of both sides is almost never explored in the franchise and it was a good test of character for her and the crew. It, and captain Doza's background are my two favorite parts of Resistance, because it humanizes people that otherwise get killed without a second notice in other parts of Star Wars.

not every imperial was a heartless monster, some people really tried to do good despite the evil their superiors were doing; and Resistance goes into depth with that.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    To be fair though early Marvel was a train wreck and I remember reading that the early Ironman movies nearly ended the entire chain of movies. Pretty much the same thing with Star Wars. The problem though is they screwed up the big stuff instead of building on something new and having a rocky start. But the current plans seem to be focused on on the right direction.
    Nothing of the sort re Marvel. The early Iron Man films made a ton of money and had they not, then the universe would’ve had issues.