Two days ago I posted that 5 stocks were worth 20% of the S&P 500. In two short days, those five stocks are now short of 22% of the S&P 500.

Back when I signed up for Netflix three DVDs delivery subscription in 1997, I would have never dreamed that one day the company would be worth more than Exxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Two days ago I posted that 5 stocks were worth 20% of the S&P 500. In two short days, those five stocks are now short of 22% of the S&P 500.

Back when I signed up for Netflix three DVDs delivery subscription in 1997, I would have never dreamed that one day the company would be worth more than Exxon.
    The chart clearly shows how big the move has been to a digital world. The top 5 replaces GE, Cisco, Intel, and Walmart with Facebook, Alphabet, Apple, and Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Elon Musk is operating on like a whole different plane of existence at this point.

Elon Musk tweet wipes $14bn off Tesla's value
    Between the drugs and the lack of sleep the guy is off his rocker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Between the drugs and the lack of sleep the guy is off his rocker.
    What, it's not like he's threatening to withholding funds or PPE if you talk negatively about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    2) They admit drafting meat packers into provably plague-ridden worksites is not the right thing to do, since other essential workers are not required to do so.
    Cleaning a facility of covid is baked into business-as-usual for meatpacking, though. If a worksite was plague-ridden, it wouldn't be for long. You're close to the problem, though, so keep trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Cleaning a facility of covid is baked into business-as-usual for meatpacking, though. If a worksite was plague-ridden, it wouldn't be for long.
    Unions, advocates say Trump putting meat packing workers at risk

Union officials and worker advocates are sounding the alarm about the president's latest move demanding the meat packing industry stay open during the COVID-19 pandemic, saying workers are already at risk of getting sick and companies have not done enough to protect them.

Meat packing plants across the country have been closed amid outbreaks among workers operating in close conditions, including one of the largest outbreaks in the country at a facility in South Dakota.

"The government cannot force these workers to work with that -- the basic essential protections, like, that is just not right," Magaly Licolli, an organizer for workers in meat processing plants in Arkansas, told ABC News. "You know, you don't send a military to the war without guns, you know, and so that is not what the workers want. The government and this company just want to keep sacrificing workers for their profits."

Companies such as Tyson Foods say they have implemented some of the social distancing guidelines by installing partitions between workstations, taking employee temperatures and other changes, and the new executive order puts the Department of Agriculture in charge of working with companies to enforce them as they keep working.

But advocates like Licolli said it isn't enough. She said despite what companies say publicly, workers have told her that they still take bathroom and meal breaks as a shift and social distancing is not enforced or steps that have been implemented, such as adding plastic barriers between work stations, were done too late.

"The workers are already getting sick and they are not being protected. And so what they're basically doing with this is telling Trump to protect them from their workers," she said.

The national union that represents workers in meatpacking and food processing jobs, the United Food and Commercial Workers, says the administration should enact enforceable standards instead of guidance that requires protections like protective equipment, physical distancing, daily testing for workers and paid sick leave so workers can stop the spread of illness.

And Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, echoed their concerns tweeting, "Using executive power to force people back on the job without proper protections is wrong and dangerous."
    They very people in question don't seem to agree. Neither does the AFL-CIO.

As I've said before, if the federal government steps in with extra medical or protective staff and equipment for the people they've drafted to make these workplaces safer, then my objection is reduced or removed. According to the people affected, as quoted above, that has not happened.

"The factories are washed" is not a sufficient defense. And your 24 hours are up.

It amazes me any of those plants though NOT going through proper precautions was the smart thing to do. Why would you want to close even temporarily because you didn't feel like making people wash their hands, wear masks, and provide proper protection? Just put it up take the very so slight hit to paying for it all so you don't take the bigger hit from shutting down and probably end up paying some fines too.

You'd think an industry that loves money would actually take the steps necessary to protect as much of it as it can.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Why would you want to close even temporarily because you didn't feel like making people wash their hands, wear masks, and provide proper protection?
    I mean, that's getting closer, at least.

God bless @Nadiru for at least trying, but the fact is, the plants were shut down because cleaning of that magnitude was really not standard at all, and the layout of such places not designed for social distancing. I don't think it was "asking people to wash their hands was too hard". As we've heard, the factory lines are usually densely packed and the environmental conditions almost seem designed to spread viruses (conditions that kill viruses are called "cooking" that's why we do it to the food we eat). Making them safe would be a substantial undertaking. Without proper help, which they did not have then and I don't believe they have now, working there was just too dangerous. That's why the meat workers don't want to go back.

That's why they're being drafted.

You don't need a federal declaration of wartime law to make people return to business as usual. You need a federal declaration of wartime law to force people into harm's way.

And yes, you'd think outfitting the people who work there wouldn't be difficult or expensive. You'd think that. And yet, it hasn't been done. I don't think the meat industries want to be shut down, I think they want to be open and make money. In fact, I think they want to raise prices. So yes, shutting down seems to suggest it's not as easy as going to Wal-Mart and asking for some PPE. Because nobody can find them. You can't find hand sanitizer at Walgreens. PPE like would be needed here is being fought over by states and seized by the feds for Kushner's personal stash. I've said that, if the federal government steps in with extra help, it would go a long way. You seem to agree. So where is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    It amazes me any of those plants though NOT going through proper precautions was the smart thing to do. Why would you want to close even temporarily because you didn't feel like making people wash their hands, wear masks, and provide proper protection? Just put it up take the very so slight hit to paying for it all so you don't take the bigger hit from shutting down and probably end up paying some fines too.

You'd think an industry that loves money would actually take the steps necessary to protect as much of it as it can.
    The fines they get for this shit is a pittance. If I cut corners to save X dollars a month, I get caught once maybe twice every few years and pay a fine that may not even be X and promise pretty please I'll never do it again. Which makes it profitable to ignore silly things like that. Workers are a dime a dozen.

Off topic, want to make fines mean something? X% of that company/plant/persons income. Gross income.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Cleaning a facility of covid is baked into business-as-usual for meatpacking, though. If a worksite was plague-ridden, it wouldn't be for long. You're close to the problem, though, so keep trying.
    in order to "clean" the facility of covid it would require you test your workers every day they come into work.
    Last time I checked almost all covid cases come from direct human transmission to each other so its great the facility is cleaned and all, but its also almost useless.

Maybe you missed all those video's explaining how its transmitted through the air even when simply breathing anywhere from 6-13+ feet??
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I mean, that's getting closer, at least.

God bless @Nadiru for at least trying, but the fact is, the plants were shut down because cleaning of that magnitude was really not standard at all, and the layout of such places not designed for social distancing.
    That news article makes zero implications or statements saying that deep cleaning is not standard. It's only newsworthy because of the pandemic, and the purpose of that article is to reassure. And yes, meatpacking plants are impossible to setup for social distancing for the skinning and gutting stations. It is possible to set up social distancing for the actual cutting, obviously at a lower production rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    That news article makes zero implications or statements saying that deep cleaning is not standard. It's only newsworthy because of the pandemic, and the purpose of that article is to reassure. And yes, meatpacking plants are impossible to setup for social distancing for the skinning and gutting stations. It is possible to set up social distancing for the actual cutting, obviously at a lower production rate.
    Why would a standard cleaning be called a deep cleaning?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why would a standard cleaning be called a deep cleaning?
    They're all deep cleanings. This one gets called a deep cleaning cuz everyone's watching. It could be that they're even doing it twice just for the good PR during a pandemic event. But the idea that meatpacking plants aren't regularly sanitized regardless? Very silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're all deep cleanings. This one gets called a deep cleaning cuz everyone's watching. It could be that they're even doing it twice just for the good PR during a pandemic event. But the idea that meatpacking plants aren't regularly sanitized regardless? Very silly.
    You are claiming it’s a conspiracy, where a regular cleaning, was called a deep cleaning... because everyone is watching? Sound logic...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

You are claiming it’s a conspiracy, where a regular cleaning, was called a deep cleaning... because everyone is watching? Sound logic...
    I'm claiming the exact opposite: it's not a conspiracy, it's business as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm claiming the exact opposite: it's not a conspiracy, it's business as usual.
    Well, no... you are claiming that business as usual, is now a conspiracy. Here is a hint, if your theory requires secret collusion and conspiring to seem logical, it’s not actually logical... making the conspiracy broader, is the opposite of helping your point.

Well, no... you are claiming that business as usual, is now a conspiracy. Here is a hint, if your theory requires secret collusion and conspiring to seem logical, it’s not actually logical... making the conspiracy broader, is the opposite of helping your point.
    Claiming that I am saying it's a conspiracy doesn't mean I'm saying it's a conspiracy.

you mean impossible @ the level of profit they want to make right?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    you mean impossible @ the level of profit they want to make right?
    Probably just impossible, as long as the minimum number of hands needed to skin and gut a carcass is greater than two.

10+ Year Old Account
    That news article makes zero implications or statements saying that deep cleaning is not standard.
    Not even you believe that. You do not believe that closing the plant Friday through Monday for a deep cleaning is the standard.