Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Tesla's stock left reality a long time go, the entire stock lives on hype of what the company could be the fundamentals are horrible.
    From the PoV of someone casually following markets...this pretty much describes how I view the market as a whole, especially the stock market of the last 6 or so years.

I bought 1 share the day before the split at 1978 then sold 4 out of the 5 shares on Monday at 498 each to basically break even on my total investment not counting the 1 share left over. I now have 1 share left to ride/crash the wave knowing I already broke even. Not bad for an investment I basically just held under 4 days. I honestly didn't expect it to go up that much but I'm glad I sold the 4 shares when I did.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-09-04 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I bought 1 share the day before the split at 1978 then sold 4 out of the 5 shares on Monday at 498 each to basically break even on my total investment not counting the 1 share left over. I now have 1 share left to ride/crash the wave knowing I already broke even. Not bad for an investment I basically just held under 4 days. I honestly didn't expect it to go up that much but I'm glad I sold the 4 shares when I did.
    After hours 386.74 −31.58 (7.55%)

Yikes.

So you got in at 395.60 x 5

sold at 498 x4. Kept 1 share.

409.00 profit before taxes. Not bad that you got out right in time.

1 share @ 386.74 right now is a loss of 8.86

better keep an eye on it before it drops below 250 and your break even point on the full investment goes poof.

:P
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

Yikes.

better keep an eye on it before it drops below 250 and your break even point on the full investment goes poof.

I broke even already on just the 4 shares and reinvested that money in S&P index (VOO) but the market has been oof this week in general. I honestly don't care about the fluctuations on the last share since its such a small amount of money compared to my portfolio. If it goes down to 250? I still made 250 dollars. TSLA doesn't follow logic so I'll just stay long with it.

Edit: Taxation is theft.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-09-05 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From the PoV of someone casually following markets...this pretty much describes how I view the market as a whole, especially the stock market of the last 6 or so years.
    That's not really incorrect once we started experimental monetary policy the markets were no longer bound by any rules. The stock market right now is entirely the product of fed policies, a lot of these things have never been tried before. It will probably be impossible to reverse all the damage done from all this fed intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I broke even already on just the 4 shares and reinvested that money in S&P index (VOO) but the market has been oof this week in general. I honestly don't care about the fluctuations on the last share since its such a small amount of money compared to my portfolio. If it goes down to 250? I still made 250 dollars. TSLA doesn't follow logic so I'll just stay long with it.

Edit: Taxation is theft.
    of course it is. I guess calling the fire department that was paid for by taxes is stealing water....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That's not really incorrect once we started experimental monetary policy the markets were no longer bound by any rules. The stock market right now is entirely the product of fed policies, a lot of these things have never been tried before. It will probably be impossible to reverse all the damage done from all this fed intervention.
    every single one of the policies has been done before there is nothing new. Almost all of them were done in 2008-2009 in one shape or form. The only real new thing was investing directly in corporate debt. but even that is just a variance of investing in mortgage/bank debt.

they managed to un-wind a whole lot of shit once things started to calm down around 2012-2019.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

For the first time since June, WTI is below $40 per barrel.

According to Pew Research, “A majority of young adults in the U.S. live with their parents for the first time since the Great Depression.” Very depressing. Although the fact that 75% of universities are now doing distance learning may account for part of the increase.

There have been 205 IPOs on the US stock market this year, as of September 5, 2020. That is 29.7% more than the same time in 2019, which had 158 IPOs by this date. The average combined return YTD is 60%. Which is quite high for IPO market.

Not the kind of news that oil execs would like to hear, but here it is.

Commuters Who Switched To Remote Work From Home Due To COVID-19 Saving Billions Of Dollars
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-09-05 at 07:07 AM.

every single one of the policies has been done before there is nothing new. Almost all of them were done in 2008-2009 in one shape or form. The only real new thing was investing directly in corporate debt. but even that is just a variance of investing in mortgage/bank debt.

they managed to un-wind a whole lot of shit once things started to calm down around 2012-2019.
    Yea I was responding that this has been happening for years now, we never really got off these policies to normalcy the market is addicted to them. The stock market is like a drug addict stuck to the fed, while some of these policies were tried before in some instances like you can argue there was QE in Roman times. We've never tossed everything and the kitchen sink in a world with FIAT currency, market fundamentals don't matter as much as the Fed.

This is the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes, yet …...

Google just submitted its proposal this month for a new campus near its headquarters in Mountain View, California. The new campus, called Middlefield Park, would span a 40-acre site and include public amenities like parks and sports field, retail space, restaurants, and affordable housing. It will be walkable and bikeable, with all the amenities and services within a 10-minute walk for residents.

Amazon is investing $1.4 billion to expand its offices (not warehouses) into 6 cities outside of Seattle - Dallas, Detroit, Denver, New York, Phoenix, and San Diego.

Facebook in August signed a deal for a massive 730,000-foot new office in the Farley Building in New York City.

The recession has been good for the tech sector. Bonds issued by Apple in August, maturing in 10 years, yielded only 1.16%. Well below the current inflation rate which is at a record low of 1.72%.

Now for some news that are more in line with the economy.

Slowing US job recovery – 4M in June, 1.7M in July, and 1.4M in August which was boosted by approximately 250k census workers. Hiring for the survey could continue to boost job numbers in September. That said, these workers will be laid off again after the Census concludes. Trump probably should let the Census kept going through the original deadline of November 31 to make the job number looks better.

Permanent job losses increased by more than half a million to 3.4 million. More than 8 million Americans have been unemployed for 15 weeks or more.

The leisure and hospitality industry, which was hardest hit by the pandemic, continues to recover with another 174,000 jobs added last month. But it's far fewer than the 621,000 added in the previous month.

The number of people receiving unemployment insurance, currently more than 29 million, with fewer than 1 million filing new claims on a seasonally-adjusted basis in the latest week.

The Trump administration reduced royalty payments and suspend leases for oil companies drilling on federal lands. The cost of reducing oil and gas royalties — which amounted to $3 billion nationwide last year — by as much as 80 percent extends beyond the federal Treasury. The payments are shared with the states (50 - 50), so the decisions will have an effect on their revenue, too. Hardest hit states are Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada.

Heat wave news!

It is hot here. The west is in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave. High in our literal neck-of-the-woods will be 102F today. Which is good compared to the rest of San Diego County which is expected to hit 115 plus. To put it into perspective, our record high for this time of the year was 87F in 2017. That's why you get this long rambling post. I have nothing to do outside.

Oil down more than a dollar. WTI is $38.55.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes.

Talking about Tesla, I have never tried their car, but their Powerwall 2 is something else. I love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Talking about Tesla, I have never tried their car, but their Powerwall 2 is something else. I love it.
    They were all over Seattle... looked cool, heard good things... seemed pretentious... I got Honda...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Oil down more than a dollar. WTI is $38.55.

i think we are going to retest the 20s.
    Summer driving season over.
    Holiday travel will be seen as a disaster.

Unless there are even more cuts out of OPEC and Russia.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Summer driving season over.
    Holiday travel will be seen as a disaster.

Unless there are even more cuts out of OPEC and Russia.
    Yep. Price cut. SA cut Arab Light Grade price for October delivery to Asia and US. China reduced import and increased their export of crude. A sign that the economic improvement in China is not going well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They were all over Seattle... looked cool, heard good things... seemed pretentious... I got Honda...
    I see a lot in the Bay Area. I even see them in Lowe's and Home Depot's parking lots. Which is odd.

I don't remember seeing any in San Diego. Definitely not where we are. Although I do see a lot of hybrids.

We definitely need to reduce our reliance of fossil fuel. The one reason why we pick this spot to build our house was because the record high here was supposed to be only 93F in July. Yesterday we hit freaking 113F in stinking September. The record high here in September was 87F.

Anyway, back to the Powerwall 2. Since we installed two a couple weeks ago, we have not used a single watt of the power company's electricity. Even on Sat and Sun when we had the AC cranked up 24 hours a day. If we replaced our gas water heater, our house will be 100% electric and off grid. The connection to SDG&E will only be for backup. We can also sell our emergency generator and get rid of our propane tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds pretty severe.

(checks literally only four months back)

Oh. Right.

Yep. Price cut. SA cut Arab Light Grade price for October delivery to Asia and US. China reduced import and increased their export of crude. A sign that the economic improvement in China is not going well.

they also ran out of space.

just like the lobster sale today. i could only buy 5 for 4.99lb because my freezer won't hold 6

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

they also ran out of space.

just like the lobster sale today. i could only buy 5 for 4.99lb because my freezer won't hold 6

Wow! $4.99? The best price here for live lobster is $8.99 at Ranch 99.

I see a lot in the Bay Area. I even see them in Lowe's and Home Depot's parking lots. Which is odd.

I don't remember seeing any in San Diego. Definitely not where we are. Although I do see a lot of hybrids.

We definitely need to reduce our reliance of fossil fuel. The one reason why we pick this spot to build our house was because the record high here was supposed to be only 93F in July. Yesterday we hit freaking 113F in stinking September. The record high here in September was 87F.

Anyway, back to the Powerwall 2. Since we installed two a couple weeks ago, we have not used a single watt of the power company's electricity. Even on Sat and Sun when we had the AC cranked up 24 hours a day. If we replaced our gas water heater, our house will be 100% electric and off grid. The connection to SDG&E will only be for backup. We can also sell our emergency generator and get rid of our propane tanks.
    prob shouldn't get rid of your backups you never know when you blow something out on the system. of course the generator is a back up of the backup.

- - - Updated - - -

east coast holiday pricing ftw

and its not even chix lobster either. wild ones.

Normal holiday price is 5.99, for farm lobsters. So ya even here its a great deal
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the Korean BBQ that’s there... It looks hectic and disheveled... but... you will thank me later.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Do the Korean BBQ that’s there... It looks hectic and disheveled... but... you will thank me later.
    I'll try it next time. San Diego Ranch 99 has a Sam Woo across from the check out area. So we usually pick up stuffs from Sam Woo instead of Ranch 99 cooked items. This is probably the only place in San Diego where you can still eat a big bowl of congee loaded with seafood for $4.50. Congee with fish and roasted duck is $3.95. Congee with chicken or salted chicken is $3.75. We usually also order a whole duck, a couple of pound of char siu and siu yuk to take home. No need to cook for a whole week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try it next time. San Diego Ranch 99 has a Sam Woo across from the check out area. So we usually pick up stuffs from Sam Woo instead of Ranch 99 cooked items. This is probably the only place in San Diego where you can still eat a big bowl of congee loaded with seafood for $4.50. Congee with fish and roasted duck is $3.95. Congee with chicken or salted chicken is $3.75. We usually also order a whole duck, a couple of pound of char siu and siu yuk to take home. No need to cook for a whole week.
    Oh, never mind then... I assumed it was only near Seattle... We have a “Great Wall” mall type thing, that’s pretty much ranch 99 and authentic Asian culture and food stuff. Their DVD stores, are not translated into English, as an example of authenticity. I was going to say, I’m a bit down the road from there... we might have ran into each other. Oh well, lucky you... (self deprecating humor)