Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Russians Are Increasingly Concerned About Western Sanctions and Isolation

All Putin cares about is diverting the attention of the Russian people from the incompetence of his regime. That's why Putin's launched Russia's adventures into Ukraine, Georgia, etc.

Trump is the most pro Russia US president in 70 years and Putin and his cronies are too incompetent to take advantage of that.

Russia keeps slipping behind. It's broke enough so that the retirement age is raised. What will Russia be like in 50 years? Oil and gas will have much smaller markets because of global warming. Russian has nothing else to trade. Russia should start working on reducing corruption and diversifying their economy right now. If Russia wanted to integrate itself into the rest of the world I'm sure the West would help them out.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russ...oll-says-63732

An increasing number of Russians say they are concerned about Western sanctions and international isolation, according to a new survey published by the independent Levada Center pollster.

The West has targeted Russia with several waves of political and economic sanctions following its 2014 annexation of the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine and support for separatist forces in eastern Ukraine. The Kremlin has imposed countermeasures, including an import ban on certain foods from the European Union, the United States and other countries.

Read More
    Here's One Measure That Shows Sanctions on Russia are Working

The percentage of Russians who said they were “very concerned” or “fairly concerned” with political and economic sanctions has jumped to 43 percent over the past six months, up from 30 percent in April, according to a Levada poll published on Thursday.

More respondents also said they were concerned by Russia’s international isolation due to their government’s position on Ukraine — at 43 percent, compared to 29 percent in April.

Despite the increase, a majority of respondents still said they were unconcerned by either sanctions — 56 percent — or isolation — 52 percent.

In comments to the Kommersant business daily, Levada director Lev Gudkov pointed out “dissatisfaction over increasing prices and taxes” as contributing to the shift in opinion.

“People are understanding the authorities’ actions less and less and are increasingly feeling the fear that comes before a war,” Kommersant cited Gudkov as saying.

Levada conducted the poll among 1,600 people in 52 Russian regions between November 22 and November 28.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pleased to know that Slacker and his friends people he waits in the food line with are fully aware that their leader is destroying their country. But until their vote actually means something, I'm afraid their opinion is irrelevant. They're stuck in a dictatorship that's better than North Korea, but still bad, and as you cited getting worse. And there are no signs pointing to a mass revolt. So they're just stuck, indefinitely, in a doomed country with no visible solution.

It's tragic. It really is. And Putin's too healthy and too good at security for this to end soon.

A lot of Russians just leave. The country has lost a lot of talented and intelligent citizens over the past few decades.

So...Left-wing is pacifist, Right-Wing is militarisation.

Yet Leftists want to be the biggest enemies with their potential threat (Russians) and Right-wingers prefer to be friends with them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

im sorry i just cant stop myself from laughing at thouse ridiculous leftists, their hypocrisy and those daily leftist bs threads on this site, i just cant LMAO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    im sorry i just cant stop myself from laughing at thouse ridiculous leftists
    Those ridiculous lefties and their...opposition to a dictator who attacked the election and invaded a sovereign country? That's the part you find funny?

Incidentally, the GOP is, by and large, on board with this. Hell, even Haley denounced the attack on the Ukraine ships.

Your post is a word salad that's apparently mostly romaine. Reported for trolling, and ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    There will never be true growth in Russia before they give up the nostalgia for the past and start trying to build something completely new.
    So, like, Japan? I mean, Japan did pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Those ridiculous lefties and their...opposition to a dictator who attacked the election and invaded a sovereign country? That's the part you find funny?
    Leftists like that appear on RT regularly - because, you know, attacking elections and invasions are primarily US shtick.

So, like, Japan? I mean, Japan did pretty well.
    So, when US finally gets serious trying to counter China and showers Russia with good deals?

Deleted
    I imagine after Russia has been chopped into smaller pieces US will try to form good relations with what ever east Siberian states are left.
    what will they do with the slavs that occupy fareast europe/western siberia then though?

I imagine after Russia has been chopped into smaller pieces US will try to form good relations with what ever east Siberian states are left.
    Japan wasn't chopped to pieces though.

And Russia will be more credible as threat to China not chopped up.

So i wouldn't have your hopes up for that outcome.

Incidentally, the GOP is, by and large, on board with this. Hell, even Haley denounced the attack on the Ukraine ships.

Your post is a word salad that's apparently mostly romaine. Reported for trolling, and ignored.
    Yeah right, how could i forget that the way opposition is handled on this site is through bans for "trolling", oh and "russian bots"...yeah right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Vandal View Post
    Russians are too soft to revolt, in great contrast with the strong and proud protests that brought Europeans great wealth, liberty, rights and overall the best and happiest lives in the known world.
    I don't know about soft, but they are proud. Very proud. They gladly label criticism as russophobia, while praising the current strongman to build something that pretty much can't exist in Russia anymore.

That's pretty much how it goes in Russia. They need enemies to band the populace together against an outside foe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Japan is quite small. I'd be perfectly happy with Russia being cut to Japan sized pieces.
    It is good that world doesn't revolve around your happiness.

Also, Japanese population is just 15 millions below Russian.

Chopping Russia up means giving entire Far East to China - because something like 75% of Russian population lives on European side, and those remaining 25% (35 millions) are going to be on the level of Poland.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2018-12-07 at 05:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Leftists like that appear on RT regularly - because, you know, attacking elections and invasions are primarily US shtick.
    And already you're not asking for more accountability from Russia, but rather deflecting to the United States.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And already you're not asking for more accountability from Russia, but rather deflecting to the United States.
    People constantly ask for (and threaten to) making Russia accountable here, i don't see why i would need to join those voices - especially in a thread about primarily Russian opinions.

We play "Great Game", and that means interference where interference is desirable.

If you want better world create situation where non-interference is preferable. Got to use positive incentives though because nuclear weapons set hard ceiling on "punishment" scenarios that is well below "major pain" thresholds for both US and Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What's Japan got to do with anything?
    I used Japan as a country that turned itself around after getting decimated by making themselves into something new, in response to @Gabriel 's post on the subject.

Slacker is trying to go even further off-topic because he can't admit Russia sucks in public or he gets shot by his boss.

Russian lies, the Russians that actually get spoken too hate their gov and what they are doing. Putin deserves what he gets he is stealing land and contributing to the loss of civilization faster than any other country that isnt in a civil war that has devolved into more than 1v1
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

I used Japan as a country that turned itself around after getting decimated by making themselves into something new, in response to @Gabriel 's post on the subject.

Slacker is trying to go even further off-topic because he can't admit Russia sucks in public or he gets shot by his boss.
    Your example is perfect if you know history - and the only reason Japan and South Korea prospered was because of USSR-USA competition required US to prop them up against those propped up by their opponents.

South Korea even had dictator until 1979.

So, we could even conceivably imagine scenario where Russia becomes actual dictatorship yet still prospers if US-China fight this century will be somewhat similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Chopping Russia up means giving entire Far East to China - because something like 75% of Russian population lives on European side, and those remaining 25% (35 millions) are going to be on the level of Poland.
    you really think the US would let china have the russian far east with all its resources? lol... if anything, japan and mongolia should get it

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Russian lies, the Russians that actually get spoken too hate their gov and what they are doing. Putin deserves what he gets he is stealing land and contributing to the loss of civilization faster than any other country that isnt in a civil war that has devolved into more than 1v1
    Putin definitely deserves what he gets but he isn't getting enough to change his ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    you really think the US would let china have the russian far east with all its resources? lol... if anything, japan and mongolia should get it
    Japan is across the sea (and their military isn't well-geared for wars of conquest), China just across the border.

We're talking about dividing area bigger then entire Europe that only has population below Poland.