Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

New Build Input/Critique

Hi all,

So my current computer is going on 4 years old and freezing/restarting often and I'm a bit done with troubleshooting. I've been on the fence about buying a new one regardless, but have decided to go a head given the above. I currently play mostly WoW, but also Rust and a few other games (e.g. CoD Black Ops 4, GTA 5 etc). I play on a 32'' at 60 hz at 3440 x 1440 with no plans to change my monitor at this time. Any thoughts and input on the below would be helpful. I probably won't update my computer again for another 4-5 years except maybe add or replace a graphics card if I change my monitor to 4k+.

Case
    CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
    Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready
    Memory (RAM)
    32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card
    11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
    1st Storage Drive
    3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE - Media/data
    2nd Storage Drive
    1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW) - Games/Apps
    1st M.2 SSD Drive
    500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 2300MB/W) - OS
    Power Supply
    CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
    Processor Cooling
    Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you made it on pcpp, can I get you to just give us the list id? So /list/lettershere

Makes it a bit easier to look at

No idea what you want us to tell you here, everything is basically top-notch and will serve you good in whatever you throw at it. Upgrading right now is okay as well since nothing else is coming out that you'd want to particularly wait for.

Get a 2 or 4TB HDD the 3TB Version like to fail.
    PSU is overkill 650-750 Watt are enough.
    And get something better as the H100x or go for a Air cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4.

CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
    Man, they just tag gaming on everything nowadays... lol

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Add RGB, slap Gaming tag, ezy +50$ :P
    WTS RGB GAMING Toilet Paper!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Man, they just tag gaming on everything nowadays... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Add RGB, slap Gaming tag, ezy +50$ :P
    I mean, at this point "gaming" is a stylistic element more than "this is for people who play games". Gaming normally means black/red with lots of lines everywhere.. for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    WTS RGB GAMING Toilet Paper!
    But put me down for some of that, I need it in my life

Thanks, all. What is an appropriate power supply if I wanted to add another graphics card down the road if 1000 is too much? 850 watt? Any suggestions on a "better" case or does it not matter much? Is there a memory impact if I go 4 x 8gb or 2x 8gb? Is there a performance difference to breaking it up?

I'll add gaming toilet paper to the list...

Dont get a 2nd GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimeq View Post
    Thanks, all. What is an appropriate power supply if I wanted to add another graphics card down the road if 1000 is too much? 850 watt? Any suggestions on a "better" case or does it not matter much? Is there a memory impact if I go 4 x 8gb or 2x 8gb? Is there a performance difference to breaking it up?

I'll add gaming toilet paper to the list...
    PSU: 1000W, minimum. That said, don't get 2 GPU's unless you want to break benchmarking records, because you won't need the second one. The 2080ti is perfectly capable at running all games (that aren't badly optimized) at 4k60, or any other resolution you would want.

As for case: It's.. Fine. Get one you like the look of. I'll personally champion Lian-Li for cases, if only because they're fucking gorgeous, but they're also expensive unless you get their Lancool lineup, which aren't as pretty imo. If you want one for performance https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/m...ow-cpu_all.png will give you an idea for what cases are good (They tests are performed with the same build in all of the cases)

As for memory: There'll be no difference in bandwidth between 4x8 and 2x8, you'll just have twice the capacity. You don't need that capacity for gaming though. 16gb will probably be enough for a long while to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    As already said, don't get a 2nd GPU.

SLI and Crossfire were in a pretty good state about 5-8 years ago. It had issues back then also but atleast it had decent game support.

It's much worse these days. On top of issues like inconsistent frametimes you'll be lucky if even 50% of games show any performance improvement with SLI/Crossfire.

Well I had thrown to together just some ok stuff. Ryzen and still got Z270.

But rocking with a little better unit again...this older Cooler Master is a good unit...dumped the Loon and the noctua U and pot adjustment.

That's a little better than the Walmart Apevia or the CX and stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JRZoid View Post
    Well I had thrown to together just some ok stuff. Ryzen and still got Z270.
    No. You don't.
    Ryzen doesn't fit on Z270, that's Nvidia's MOBO lineup for the 7000 series

Don't tell me what I have you little Fucker...

I have the 2600x and MSI X470 ANDDD the 7700k and EVGA...Dumb fucker...

Yeah they run good.

could use an upgrade from the 1060 though...

And no you don't need a 1000w unit....there's good 750w-900w units that are dual Primary too...I would expect no less from a 1000w unit.
    The secondary is what's called into question again though...it's rather light on some unit's...So I expect the dual Primary....

Do you know what a scope IS you little Fucker...no you probably don't...so Shut the fuck up lol

Infracted - There's no need to get insulting.
    Last edited by chazus; 2019-01-12 at 04:19 PM.

No you are dumb..I said I had both...and their both fine...

No you are Dumb...The Strix is overrated and the Z270 one started having Boot problems...Asus is Junk....

Not one damn Issue with the EVGA and still works...what I said....nor any issue with the MSI X470

OP should get the MSI or EVGA IMO...

Well the Sound died on the MSI X470...minor...bought a SoundBlaster card the Audigy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JRZoid View Post
    No you are Dumb...The Strix is overrated and the Z270 one started having Boot problems...Asus is Junk....

Not one damn Issue with the EVGA and still works...what I said....nor any issue with the MSI X470

OP should get the MSI or EVGA IMO...

Well the Sound died on the MSI X470...minor...bought a SoundBlaster card the Audigy.
    Ive gotten some of my best overclocks on Strix cards

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Get a 2 or 4TB HDD the 3TB Version like to fail.
    PSU is overkill 650-750 Watt are enough.
    And get something better as the H100x or go for a Air cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4.
    I definitely agree on the 3 TB HDs. Avoid those at all costs. They had the highest failure rates of any capacity to date. Getting a good one is like finding a true diamond in a field of cubic zirconias.

This really seems more like a flex post than an actual attempt to get others opinions about your build.

Great build , Acer X35 / Asus ROG SWIFT PG35VQ hopefully will release soon in 2019 with 200 Hz , Ultra wide , HDR 10 Ready , G-sync , Quantum dots , You should get that next to fully enjoy the power of your 2080ti and CPU .