Reporting on the current state of Shadow - In case you wanna try it.

Hello there, a while ago I was looking everywhere to gather all the information necessary to figure out whether I wanna give shadow a shot or not, considering all the pros and cons of the current iteration of the spec.
    It's been a while since our "HUGE" rework as it was promised for 8.1; and I have not seen any big class/azerite changes in a while which personally to me it indicates that we're hopefully past the point of checking mmo-champion 24/7 to figure out whether blizzard has decided to stir the pot once again over night, and buff all the "bads" and nerf all the "goods"; this provides me with a chance to give some information to people who are wondering where shadow stands right now.

1- General questing, WQ, soloing rares and similar stuff:
    So, shadow has a good, above average speed when it comes to clearing WQs, while using "Misery" I easily manage to pull 6-7 mobs and just run in a circle and pull more while they die one by one. There are 2 things that can make this process easier, firstly Vampiric Embrace and secondly Void Shield pvp talent. These 2 tools are so op (one is a CD, the other one is a passive) that you would never die if you're pulling mobs 1 by 1 using Vampiric Touch (Misery talented).
    We are super weak in terms of soloing rare mobs, we definitely don't have the power to solo a elite WQ or atleast it'll gonna be super challenging.

2- PVP
    Shadow stands in a pretty decent spot in RBG right now (As usual). I am around 2k and so far my experience has been that Shadow is still easily topping the meters. Introduction of "Greater fade" is SUPER huge. I'm loving this talent, allowing you to re-position, get out of harm's way and keep spreading your dots. if your tactic requires you to go for maximum spread pressure, I suggest getting the Auspicious Spirits talent while using the Psyfiend on the target that the team wants to kill. There has been multiple occeasion that I have killed another target just cuz of spread pressure while my team managed to kill the "main" target that I had my Psyfiend on. If your dps are not super good, spec into SW.D
    My experience in Arenas is very limited, but as far as I've been seeing the streams, shadow is doing a little worse after reworking of EOI; however it still is a viable option for a few comp. (Arenas players out there please lemme know what you think about the SP state in arenas)

3- M+
    Aight, I'm loving the changes of 8.1 and what is has done in regard to m+. With the rework of Thought Harvester, Searing Dialog (slow), and the reduction in insanity drain, I actually feel like I can compete with other dps, and no longer feel like a burden on my team. Our utility is still lacking but we have some cool ones, a precisely times VE + VEruption can literally save your tank if your healer is CCed or something. You can do some very cool stuff with you Mind Control (example is giving that water shield to your teammates which gives them 75% damage reduction in tol dagor, so you can do a huge pull), and shackle undead is not the best but still something to be noted. With proper azerite trait you can do moderately well in single target and do great in sustain AoE. (I am very very very optimistic for season 2 as we'll have our hands on azerite gear with both single and AoE traits on them: I'm looking at you Mantle of Skyterror)

4- Raid
    We were not useful at all when it mattered most (progression). We lacked in every department when it came to Uldir, the bosses were not designed in our favor and even tho that some bosses did involve long execute phase (Taloc, Ghuun), frequent spawn of adds that would last enough for us to dot up (Vectis), we were mostly outshined by other classes who had huge and great burst. Uldir in general prioritized burst so much that didn't leave much room for us to shine. Considering the fights in next raid tier tho, I am expecting a great demand for SPs and Warlocks. SPs are fine in Uldir after changes while having good gear, but still we suffer from frequent movement that most bosses force us to have.

5- Play-style
    Controversial subject.
    I'm not gonna dive into this subject as people have discussed what needs to be changed in Priest forums over and over again, you can read both sides of the argument when it comes to void form.

Conclusion:
    I'm not a doomsayer and I'm also not naive. Rotation is cluncky, dots are not as strong as they should be, no crazy CD, burst is very limited, bluh bluh bluh...
    Shadow has flaws, serious ones, but you are not playing shadow to top meters(unless in RBG, you're a god there), it is a very challenging spec with alot of punishment if you mess things up, but for people who are tired of super simplified stuff that many other specs offer, shadow is the right destination. You need to enjoy the challenge, you need to get pleasure from dpsing near what you sim for, and you need to love looking purple in order to enjoy playing shadow priest.
    Last edited by Morphz; 2019-01-08 at 06:48 AM.

I’m not a shadow fan

Deleted
    people still play the game????

We are super weak in terms of soloing rare mobs, we definitely don't have the power to solo a elite WQ or atleast it'll gonna be super challenging.
    What? No way. I've been able to solo most elite WQs on my shadow priest since the mid 350s. And this is without Warmode bonuses. I do have that shield passive on my azerite, however. So that with PW:S keeps me from struggling too much. I also play solo with Intangibility, so if my health does take a dive I can heal back to full in a 1-2 minute CD.

I feel very powerful in all aspects of solo play.

Everything else I don't necessarily disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyderp View Post
    What? No way. I've been able to solo most elite WQs on my shadow priest since the mid 350s. And this is without Warmode bonuses. I do have that shield passive on my azerite, however. So that with PW:S keeps me from struggling too much. I also play solo with Intangibility, so if my health does take a dive I can heal back to full in a 1-2 minute CD.

Oh allow me to clarify, I meant the WQs that are require a full party to kill, Shadow is definitely on the weak-side of the spectrum when it comes to soloing the "party" WQs in comparison to hunters, warlocks, boomies, fury wars ....

10+ Year Old Account

Same here! Soloing Elite WQ mobs are a breeze! I kill them like im easy on a sunday morning.

5+ Year Old Account

I haven't had an issue either. In cases where I needed something off me right then, I'd pop Shadowfiend and Fade. He's not a particularly great tank, but he's better than you'd think he'd be, and twelve seconds of being utterly ignored can make the difference.

so it's in a bad spot again?
    SP it was my first main in wow and i wanna try to create another :sad:

Quote Originally Posted by bigsuirlife View Post
    so it's in a bad spot again?
    SP it was my first main in wow and i wanna try to create another :sad:
    Good spot numbers-wise (top dps spec in heroic dazar'alor for now), poor spot gameplay-wise, and non-existent spot utility-wise.

And no rework until atleast 9.0 as per latest Q/A

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Good spot numbers-wise (top dps spec in heroic dazar'alor for now), poor spot gameplay-wise, and non-existent spot utility-wise.

And no rework until atleast 9.0 as per latest Q/A
    ok
    pass....

Shadow actually is absolutely OP and you still cry?

Jesus.

I dont wanna see what will happen when it gets nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    and non-existent spot utility-wise.

We are not a strong utility spec, but we have: Mass Dispel, Vampiric Embrace, Leap of Faith and Mind Control. The latter 3 are extremely niche, but Mass Dispel (and even just normal Dispel) can be a solid reason to want a SP. Dispersion can also help us soak some mechanics, but it's obviously not ideal when other specs have much stronger CDs for that.

I get that it was probably hyperbole on your end, but it's a little disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post

We are not a strong utility spec, but we have: Mass Dispel, Vampiric Embrace, Leap of Faith and Mind Control. The latter 3 are extremely niche, but Mass Dispel (and even just normal Dispel) can be a solid reason to want a SP. Dispersion can also help us soak some mechanics, but it's obviously not ideal when other specs have much stronger CDs for that.

I get that it was probably hyperbole on your end, but it's a little disingenuous.
    But we used to be THE utility spec, didn't we? Back in TBC we were a mana battery and also helped heal the party via passive Vampiric Embrace. Then, as we progressed into becoming less hybrid-taxed dps numbers wise, we also began losing a lot of good utility while pure dps specs started getting more and more utility. I really hope passive VE makes a comeback with a talent tier dedicated to it (and feathers/body and soul baseline for all Priest specs because there's almost no choice there).

PvP wise Shadow Priest utility is insane. Void Shift, VE paired with San'layn vs dot cleaves, Mass Dispell, Dispel magic, Grip.

I went 2.2k in 2s and RBGs and 2.3k in 3s last season. SP's have a lot of available compositions and their dmg is good for AoE pressure, and limited burst pairing Mindbender/Eruption. It's one of the better casters for PvP at this moment.

PvE wise, dmg is ok, utility is decent. Dispersion paired with Intangibility will make you soak raid mechanics really good with 1.5m cd.

What I don't like is that the traits for PvE are very different than the ones for PvP. So if you want to do your max in both, you will have to reforge your gear every time.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Don't even try to compare BfA's utility to pre-BfA. 45sec-CD Mass Dispell is a joke, Vampiric Embrace provides a pitiful amount of healing (great if you have it, but you won't reserve a raid spot for dat awesome CD), and having to talent into intangibility to transform Dispersion into a valuable cooldown (without that, it entirely sucks) is a shame.

are you insane? have you looked at World of Logs? Shadow Priests are dominating the new raid. Talk about spreading misinformation geez

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't even try to compare BfA's utility to pre-BfA. 45sec-CD Mass Dispell is a joke, Vampiric Embrace provides a pitiful amount of healing (great if you have it, but you won't reserve a raid spot for dat awesome CD), and having to talent into intangibility to transform Dispersion into a valuable cooldown (without that, it entirely sucks) is a shame.
    I'm not? The subject of this thread isn't "comparing old shadow to new shadow" it's about the current state of shadow. Nearly every class has an argument that BFA stripped them of x or y. It still remains disingenuous to make an absolute statement like shadow has no utility when it in fact has utility.

Shadow is in a great spot right now. It brings high dps and -okay- utility (MD on Jaina is money). The only real concern is gameplay, although honestly I'm fine with it personally.