It's a hawk you carry into battle, duh. Much cooler and hardcore than just a regular old hawk. And not as salty as those Sea-flavored hawks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I know I pitched a fit last time this thread veered into XFL territory but... one of the teams is called the "BattleHawks" -what the fuck is that?
    Just wait till they run into the Guardians or DEfenders or protectors or the Lockboxes or the safevaults or the immovable objects!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

I have seen discussion on the NFL expanding the regular season to 18 games and the playoffs to 14 teams. I realize these are a long way from being a reality but they come up every off-season. I was wondering what an ideal and realistic season would be for fans. I do not like the idea of 14 teams in the playoffs assuming the #1 seeds in the NFC and AFC get a wild card bye. I would either leave it at 12 teams or expand to 16 (remove wild card bye week). I would propose the following:
    20 week regular season.
    18 regular season games.
    2 bye weeks. (1st between weeks 5-7 and 2nd between weeks 13-15)
    Assuming 12 Playoff Teams: playoff structure unchanged
    Assuming 16 Playoff Teams: 1 week break between regular season and playoffs.
    - I figure the pre-season would shrink to 2 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patrick Chung got indicted on Aug 8th for possession of a quantity of cocaine (incident took place June 25th, so still in the off season, not during camp).

Depending on his priors with substance abuse, he might have to sit 4 games.

Would be nice if our safeties could lay off the drugs in the off season (Duron Harmon got nabbed last year trying to enter another country with weed on him).

We have some depth at safety, but if Chung has to sit, that's an important part of our defensive looks compromised, since he's the only one who can effectively line up as a safety and a linebacker-tweener.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattiecakes View Post
    I have seen discussion on the NFL expanding the regular season to 18 games and the playoffs to 14 teams. I realize these are a long way from being a reality but they come up every off-season. I was wondering what an ideal and realistic season would be for fans. I do not like the idea of 14 teams in the playoffs assuming the #1 seeds in the NFC and AFC get a wild card bye. I would either leave it at 12 teams or expand to 16 (remove wild card bye week). I would propose the following:
    20 week regular season.
    18 regular season games.
    2 bye weeks. (1st between weeks 5-7 and 2nd between weeks 13-15)
    Assuming 12 Playoff Teams: playoff structure unchanged
    Assuming 16 Playoff Teams: 1 week break between regular season and playoffs.
    - I figure the pre-season would shrink to 2 games.
    To me, I like to look at other sports.

Hockey has 31 teams (soon to be 32), 16 of them go to the playoffs.

Basketball has 30 teams, 16 of them go to the playoffs.

Baseball has 30 teams, only 8 go to the playoffs.

Football has 32 teams, and 12 go to the playoffs.

Baseball is a severe outlier in this case. I'm not a baseball fan at all, but my friends who are seem to lament that teams can go years and years without making the playoffs, because only the division winners (East, Central, West) and one wild card make it in each league (AL and NL). Meanwhile, in the other two leagues, you are statistically unlikely to go more than a handful of years without making the playoffs. More teams in the playoffs theoretically keeps interest in teams higher, so I don't see how expanding it is anything but a good thing.

As for the preseason thing and the 18 game schedule - I don't know that players will agree to such a thing. Real games, played at real speed, 2 more weeks a year, will cause more injuries and do more damage to players. A season of football is devastating to many football players. Unless they start getting a share of revenue outside of their contract, they have no reason to care about more games in a season. And no, lopping off two preseason games and replacing them with regular season games isn't "the same thing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit. Kyle Van Noy just had a 9 yard sack on Cam Newton, but went down cause he hyperextended his knee. Hope he'll be alright, but this might be the first injury that's going to last into the season for the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, well he was back out there for the Patriots on a 3rd down and 10, so maybe he's alright after all

- - - Updated - - -

Cam Newton out of the game with a foot injury. For a guy his size that's very troublesome news.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Shit. Kyle Van Noy just had a 9 yard sack on Cam Newton, but went down cause he hyperextended his knee. Hope he'll be alright, but this might be the first injury that's going to last into the season for the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, well he was back out there for the Patriots on a 3rd down and 10, so maybe he's alright after all

- - - Updated - - -

Cam Newton out of the game
    with a foot injury. For a guy his size that's very troublesome news.
    This post had a 3-act structure shyamalan twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    This post had a 3-act structure shyamalan twist.
    lol Cam Newton got hurt on a later play, but yeah.

Patriots also lost Ben Watson to a likely concussion, after being getting shouldered in the head by Reid (who he had some twitter beef with this week apparently), Damien Harris who got lit up on a play fake and Nate Ebner.

Chiefs 19-0. End of story. Another MVP and OPOY for Showtime, to go along with his SB LIV MVP trophy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and we lost core special teamer Brandon King to what looked like a very serious leg injury. So, LOT of hurt Patriots tonight.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So safe to say the NFL won't be returning to Winnepeg next preseason...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated everything about that game, the field, the commentary, the 4th string guys who know they're getting cut, the three quarters of Nathan Peterman.

Thank god we have a home next year.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty good. Probably will get better reviews than GoT. xD

Wow. Just read that Andrew Luck is retiring! That is really sad news.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guarantee you that hes just fed up with the Colts, and as soon as Brady retires... Luck will magically arise again.

Nate Newton needs to be a commentator
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I guarantee you that hes just fed up with the Colts, and as soon as Brady retires... Luck will magically arise again.
    Dude can't seem to stay healthy. I gotta imagine a lot of people just don't wanna put up with the fight.

Luck's a super good dude, I hope he can be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Dude can't seem to stay healthy. I gotta imagine a lot of people just don't wanna put up with the fight.

Luck's a super good dude, I hope he can be happy.
    them not building any sort of o line around him + him not being able to absorb/avoid dangerous hits was the recipe for disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever things go wrong for the Colts at QB they are so hilariously unprepared. Also things constantly go wrong at QB because they're a joke organization.
    /s