Thread: Home Invasions

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    Right, but is there a way to do that without actually using violence? Or having a gun?

- - - Updated - - -

Beating them isn't far off from the whole using a gun thing.
    Beating up someone still is a far cry from killing someone.

On topic: I don't have to be prepared for such a scenario because it will never, ever happen. And if it does, it take police less than two minutes to be here. Because i live in a civilized country.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Beating up someone still is a far cry from killing someone.

On topic: I don't have to be prepared for such a scenario because it will never, ever happen. And if it does, it take police less than two minutes to be here. Because i live in a civilized country.
    Living in a "civilized" country means jack shit - it doesn't matter where you go, there are always at least a couple brutal thugs capable of evil shit. Plus, even in "civilized" countries, there are areas that are spread out where if the police are called, they won't be getting there for at minimum 20-30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    This is a blatantly stupid post. The sun exploding is like a one in a trillion chance. Homes get invaded every fucking day. This isn't an unlikely hypothetical scenario, it's a every day reality. Yes, even in supposed utopias like Norway or Sweden. This shit really does happen, so don't be fucking snide with this bullshit hypothetical scenario crap.

I don't have a gun (yet), but I have a tire beater (basically a billy club) and quite a few knives. Plus, I'm a pretty big guy. If anyone tries to invade my home, they're in for at minimum a few broken bones, a cracked skull and severe blood loss.
    what apocalyptic wasteland do you live in where your home is invaded every day?

I live in a building with security and concierges. Everyone has to firstly state who they are and show id to get into the building. On top of that we use RFID keys for all the doors and entry points so... invasion is highly unlikely. Not something I need to worry about.

Living in a "civilized" country means jack shit - it doesn't matter where you go, there are always at least a couple brutal thugs capable of evil shit. Plus, even in "civilized" countries, there are areas that are spread out where if the police are called, they won't be getting there for at minimum 20-30 minutes
    In civilised countries, thugs are not going to risk going to jail for many years over a few hundred euros. Here, they won't break and enter when somebody is at home, nobody is that desperate. And if they do while I'm away, they won't find anything of value that is worth the money except my laptop, which is covered by insurance. This is how civilization deals with stuff like this, not with lethal weapons in everyones hands. All you do is arming the aggressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    If someone were to walk in your front door and refuse to leave, and start roughing up your family, would you be prepared?

Or, what if you invited someone over, and things turned ugly, and they refused to leave, what would you do?

Or what if you didn't invite someone over, and they were just creepy and were stalking you, and they snuck into your house, and refused to leave you alone? What would you do? Would you be prepared?

As someone who has always advocated against guns and always tried to look for solutions around using violence, I've constantly wondered exactly how I could deal with a situation like you can see in some horror movies or in the news when I'm not sure if I'd want to use such force. I know the automatic solution is just to call the police, but exactly how do you do that if you're pinned down or things go down pretty fast?
    What, exactly, do you mean by "prepared", since you specifically mention "not using violence"? All your examples are of people that will not listen to your attempts to reason with them and will not leave unless violence is either used, or threatened. Physically pushing or throwing them out of your home is considered violence.

Depends I guess, I spent a lot of time doing hand to hand combat training in the military, the Marine Corps put a lot of emphasis on it. Also, my sheriff's office is a block away, so their response time is pretty quick (we called a carbon monoxide warning in and the FD was here in 2 minutes, their building is next to the sheriff's office). If I'm by the bedroom, I have a bio-metric safe that opens from either my wife or my hand print, inside are a couple hand guns we're acquired over the years. I wouldn't want to shoot someone unless the situation is deadly though, so there is also the possibility of getting my family out the back.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

In civilised countries, thugs are not going to risk going to jail for many years over a few hundred euros. Here, they won't break and enter when somebody is at home, nobody is that desperate. And if they do while I'm away, they won't find anything of value that is worth the money except my laptop, which is covered by insurance. This is how civilization deals with stuff like this, not with lethal weapons in everyones hands. All you do is arming the aggressors.
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    what apocalyptic wasteland do you live in where your home is invaded every day?
    First of all, you're assuming that money is the only motivator for a home invasion - it isn't. There's also rape; rape and sexual crime is on the rise all over Europe.

And as for home invasions? It happens all the fucking time in Britain. Enough with this "in civilized countries" snobbery. You're either docile cattle waiting to be taken advantage of by wolves, or you're prepared and self sufficient and can handle yourself.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2019-05-05 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Drug dealers suffer the most home invasions, they often have lots of money and drugs and they aren't likely to call the police.

Joe Citizen who's done nothing wrong isn't likely to have his home invaded, it's extremely rare.
    My immediate family has suffered one home invasion, one attempted home invasion (which ended up just being burglary) and one burglary at three separate locations, all within the last five years. Guess we are just lucky.

First one was a burglary at my dad's cabin. While he was at work, some meth addled degenerate (fairly clear security footage showed his state) broke into his cabin and stole everything that wasn't bolted down. He tried to steal his gun safe, filled with guns and ammo, but fortunately couldn't dislodge it. Police never caught the guy or recovered the stolen property.

Second one was an actual home invasion against my sister about three years ago... Once again, it was some drugged out degenerate who showed up at her house one day (just after they moved in), he was banging on the doors and windows and demanding they give him drugs, presumably because the person who lived there before them was his supplier or he just had the wrong house. They shouted at him to go away and called the police; he left before the police arrived. A few days later the guy broke into their house in the middle of the night while they were sleeping and started tearing it apart, presumably looking for drugs. When confronted he immediately ran away. Like above, the police never caught him.

Third was a burglary and attempted home invasion against my house... Couple years ago some person strolled through my neighborhood in the middle of the night stealing from almost every unlocked car around (many were unlocked because, up until that point, it was a nice neighborhood where crime literally never happened). He also tore open the door to my garage and stole stuff from my garage, and the security footage showed he tried to open the door into my house through my garage, but fortunately it was locked. Like both of the above cases, the police never caught the perpetrator.

---

On topic, if I am ever confronted by someone invading my home... I would hope I have the capacity to immediately shoot them. I am confined to a wheelchair, I would be unable to either physically confront them or run away.

It happens all the fucking time in Britain. Enough with this "in civilized countries" snobbery. You're either docile cattle waiting to be taken advantage of by wolves, or you're prepared and self sufficient and can handle yourself.
    "snobbery", "docile cattle"

Yes, i won't ever be in a dangerous situation. The worst that happened to me was a senile grandmother that mistook my apartment as hers. There's nothing in my flat that isn't replaceable and covered by insurance, sorry that i won't engage in all this song of mighty keyboard warriors dreaming of hurting or killing someone over a few hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    My immediate family has suffered one home invasion, one attempted home invasion (which ended up just being burglary) and one burglary at three separate locations, all within the last five years. Guess we are just lucky.

First one was a burglary at my dad's cabin. While he was at work, some meth addled degenerate (fairly clear security footage showed his state) broke into his cabin and stole everything that wasn't bolted down. He tried to steal his gun safe, filled with guns and ammo, but fortunately couldn't dislodge it. Police never caught the guy or recovered the stolen property.

Second one was an actual home invasion against my sister about three years ago... Once again, it was some drugged out degenerate who showed up at her house one day (just after they moved in), he was banging on the doors and windows and demanding they give him drugs, presumably because the person who lived there before them was his supplier or he just had the wrong house. They shouted at him to go away and called the police; he left before the police arrived. A few days later the guy broke into their house in the middle of the night while they were sleeping and started tearing it apart, presumably looking for drugs. When confronted he immediately ran away. Like above, the police never caught him.

Third was a burglary and attempted home invasion against my house... Couple years ago some person strolled through my neighborhood in the middle of the night stealing from almost every unlocked car around (many were unlocked because, up until that point, it was a nice neighborhood where crime literally never happened). He also tore open the door to my garage and stole stuff from my garage, and the security footage showed he tried to open the door into my house through my garage, but fortunately it was locked. Like both of the above cases, the police never caught the perpetrator.

---

On topic, if I am ever confronted by someone invading my home... I would hope I have the capacity to immediately shoot them. I am confined to a wheelchair, I would be unable to either physically confront them or run away.

Burglary is not home invasion.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Burglary is not home invasion.
    I didn't claim it was?

"snobbery", "docile cattle"

Yes, i won't ever be in a dangerous situation. The worst that happened to me was a senile grandmother that mistook my apartment as hers. There's nothing in my flat that isn't replaceable and covered by insurance, sorry that i won't engage in all this song of mighty keyboard warriors dreaming of hurting or killing someone over a few hundred dollars.
    Again, you're assuming that the only reason anyone would invade a home is money...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I didn't claim it was?
    Home invasion is the unwelcome and hostile invasion of a home, usually while the home owner is present. The motive for said invasion is irrelevant, only that the intrusion is unwelcome and unlawful.

no i wouldn't be prepared, even though i have (not guns) weapons in my home. i wouldn't consider going for a knife or metal stick or w/e i have lying around until after it got physical, and if it gotten physical it's unlikely i could get to those items.

luckily if it did become physical that's something the police take pretty seriously over here.

Again, you're assuming that the only reason anyone would invade a home is money...

- - - Updated - - -

Home invasion is the unwelcome and hostile invasion of a home, usually while the home owner is present. The motive for said invasion is irrelevant, only that the intrusion is unwelcome and unlawful.
    did you know that every day a star explodes and is gone forever?

i guess we should all prepare for the sun blowing up afterall

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as how I specifically have training on ejected fully grown human beings for a living from places they have been dis invited or asked to leave, ,my burdens or expectations would likely be a bit different.

Along with my being trained and legally allowed to own firearms, so with that in mind.

If someone were to walk in your front door and refuse to leave, and start roughing up your family, would you be prepared?
    It's called trespassing if they weren't invited, normally provided my life isn't endangered I would simply call the police and get them to leave peacefully, however if they are attacking my family, I no longer have that obligation, and this is a sufficient reason to use my fire arm. I am shooting to kill, and I would call 911 explain that I had a home invasion, someone attacked my family and they need medical assistance.

Then I would call my attorney, because I completely expect I am going to be arrested, but that is just part of the process, because I will "NOT" be answering any questions what so ever, until I have spoken to my attorney. 48 Hours and bail and clearing my name is a lot easier than trying to "Clear things up with the cops" they aren't the bad guys, but they are just trying to do a job, and that is what attorneys and the judge get paid to clear up with evidence.

Or, what if you invited someone over, and things turned ugly, and they refused to leave, what would you do?
    This is a completely different situation than the first, because I invited this individual or someone in my house hold and because of my training and it does "NOT" involve violence being initiated by the now unwelcome guest, It is my burden to negotiate them leaving on their own, or calling 911.

Or what if you didn't invite someone over, and they were just creepy and were stalking you, and they snuck into your house, and refused to leave you alone? What would you do? Would you be prepared?
    Good question, if they are uninvited, and trespassing, and as long as they don't represents a physical threat, then I generally have the obligation to flee and call the cops, trespassing is illegal, harassment (Stalking) is illegal, I let the police deal with that, once I have, I'll file for a court order, it depends on the kind of stalking we are talking about could be a no contact, could be a retraining order, basically the same thing, but once you have that, then basically legally I'm protected.

If said individual violates the order I have the obligation to have law enforcement deal with it first, however, if they trespass, and I'll defend myself up to using lethal force, then the same rules apply in the first scenario, I would expect to be arrested, I would contact my lawyer ASAP likely even right after or before the police come.

As someone who has always advocated against guns and always tried to look for solutions around using violence, I've constantly wondered exactly how I could deal with a situation like you can see in some horror movies or in the news when I'm not sure if I'd want to use such force. I know the automatic solution is just to call the police, but exactly how do you do that if you're pinned down or things go down pretty fast?
    A gun is NOT always necessary and in some ways, can be more of a burden, because with a gun comes certain expectations and obligations that your life is in grave danger.

If you are getting pinned down or getting physical, I can tell you a gun will likely be the LAST thing you want to have on you, even if you use it. Again a gun can be used to prevent violence, and death on YOU, however you still have to do and met the same burdens everyone else.

Someone trespasses, you tell them to leave and call 911, if they are attacking your family, then you have to defend yourself and loved ones from a physical threat, in doing so, understand the police and anybody outside of that situation isn't going to know what happened until AFTER the collected evidence and AFTER you have hopefully for your own sake spoken to YOUR attorney and NOT the cops.

Evidence is going to be a big thing, if said uninvited guest has exit wounds in the front for example and not the back, then that is a good reason NOT to speak to cops until you speak to your attorney.

The truth is any of the situations above could happen to anyone, and specifically to me they happened a shit load because it's part of my job, and almost none of the times have lethal force ever been needed or required.

But sometimes it is, and while I might make the last scenario seem like it's all about legal paper work, it really isn't, those things can work for you and covering your ass if you do end up using lethal force, but honestly as long as you deal with the situation honestly and truthfully AND DONT FUCKING TALK TO COPS! Most situations are going to be fine.

The cops don't know shit, they are going to have to go by evidence, a judge is going to make sure they have to go by evidence, so the only thing a person needs to do is have a good attorney after they call 911 and chill, Let the process do what it's does. Shit is really not like On TV.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-05-05 at 05:12 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If someone is being generally creepy in the vicinity of my house, call the cops. If someone is legitimately actively attempting to break into my house or assault my family, shotgun and a polite suggestion they go elsewhere, then call the cops. If someone has already broken in and attacked or kidnapped my family, call Liam Neeson.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Beat the devil out of him.
    Paint his face with a crimson red.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been doing competitive boxing for 8 years. I would like to think I am prepared.
    As long as thet are not armed.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkR View Post
    Paint his face with a crimson red.
    It was a happy accident, officer!