Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    In England, the point of VAR is to get people angry so they call for the removal and then the FA/Premier league can turn around and go "See told you it was shit, never mind we implemented it in a way to be confusing and make you angry."
    Its true that it has been badly used, after last season farce the FA actually had the authority removed and FIFA took over, they seem to be doing even worse, but I cannot understand why we are using it at all, it sucks the joy out of most goals remember when we celebrated the goal and not the VAR decision? It gets so much wrong and is not applied consistently by any 2 people using it, which is my biggest gripe "You don't know what you're doing" seems the most appropriate chant for this abomination of a system.

Thinking of putting a few hundred on Liverpool to win the league again. With van Dijk out, you should be getting better odds. All the teams seem to be all over the place in terms of consistency. Originally I thought LFC would find it much harder to win games with no crowd behind them but they're surviving. Just. With van dijk out it should be interesting times, but I still fancy them to win: their front three will deliver once again and that Jota fellow seems an excellent buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    United with another stinker, and Ole with shit subs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    United with another stinker, and Ole with shit subs.
    Think that’s Ole out. Too bad, I liked him

Nooo. Please stay Ole we love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

No one staying on the midfield line for the demba goal is worrying.

I dunno if you can even blame the coach at that point.

That wouldnt happen on watch with a Sergio Ramos for example. Its easy to scape goat the coach but really the players need to look at themselves.

Ole does deserve blame however because their main threat IS set piece. And man utd have the tools to deal with set pieces with the right set up.

For example if wan bassaka was told to sit on the mid field line because he doesnt offer much aerial threat for the corner but is amazing 1v1, has pace and a natural tackler. So would be great at chasing down the lone striker.

Poch isnt the answer though. I hope they stick out the season and re assess after. If they dont make top 4 who gives a shit. Losing to the turkish league shows they are a ways off competing in the champions league anyway
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-11-05 at 08:00 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never saw what the big deal about qualifying for a competition we had no intention of winning was anyway. Yesterday, and Sunday were entirely on the players, and in fairness had Pogba not given away a dumb penalty we'd be talking about how far both Arsenal and United are off the pace.

Sacking Ole won't do anything either, same shit as last few managers, they do okay, don't get backing, everyone gets fed up, and it all goes to shit.

Problem is, as it has been since Fergie left, it's Woodward playing fantasy manager. Why the fuck did he sign Cavani and Van der Beek? They don't even fit in the side, and when they have played I've not really seen much from them, they just all get in each others way. Meanwhile we need to play 2 holding midfielders because our central defence need too much help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Problem is, as it has been since Fergie left, it's Woodward playing fantasy manager. Why the fuck did he sign Cavani and Van der Beek? They don't even fit in the side, and when they have played I've not really seen much from them, they just all get in each others way. Meanwhile we need to play 2 holding midfielders because our central defence need too much help.
    If there are two players that get in each others way, it's Martial and Rashford.
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2020-11-05 at 12:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    If there are two players that get in each others way, it's Martial and Rashford.
    The whole attacking line does. Then when we do have some attacking possession, we end up with Maguire, Matic, McTominay all in there as well.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2020-11-05 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Think that’s Ole out. Too bad, I liked him
    Did you like him as a person or as a manager though?

I liked what he brought when he first came in. After Mourinho (who is a much better manager) with his defensive mindset, toxic attitude (throwing everyone under the bus) and making every game miserable to watch, it did feel like a breath of fresh air to get a manager who wanted to play attacking football, who wanted the 'fun' back and someone who was targeting the right players in the market. (Younger and promising instead of older and on the down slope)

However that aura has definitely eroded over the last year or so as it has become clear that Ole just isn't a great manager. I would even say he's not a good manager period. We've gotten some lucky & important wins away against big teams due to the classic tactic of "sit back and hit them on the counter" which some people have blown way out of proportion seeing as we usually follow those results up with a draw or loss to teams like Brighton or Burnley the next week. It's even more painful when you browse Reddit/FB and still see Ole-In people using arguments like "But if he got Sancho, Håland, Upamecano and Milinkovic-Savic like he wanted, we would be higher up the table" (which could be said for any manager at any club and is just stupid).

I don't wish the man any harm or anything bad since he brought us much joy as a player, but as a manager it's just been pretty miserable. If we take away his history here as a player and we pretend we had a typical PL 'merchant' manager like Steve Bruce/Mark Hughes/Big Sam, there's no way people would still be defensive and say "he needs more time, the manager isn't the problem" just based on the results. There's just been no improvement since he joined outside the transfers coming in and adding depth and quality which isn't something you can credit to the manager, because adding talent to any team will make it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I don't wish the man any harm or anything bad since he brought us much joy as a player, but as a manager it's just been pretty miserable. If we take away his history here as a player and we pretend we had a typical PL 'merchant' manager like Steve Bruce/Mark Hughes/Big Sam, there's no way people would still be defensive and say "he needs more time, the manager isn't the problem" just based on the results. There's just been no improvement since he joined outside the transfers coming in and adding depth and quality which isn't something you can credit to the manager, because adding talent to any team will make it better.
    I disagree, he's actually done well with what he has (and the stats back it up). Last season we ran out of steam because the squad had no depth to go on and win the Europa or FA Cups, but up until those semis we actually did well and played some good football along the way. The problem is I think a bit inconsistency, and a lot of over-exaggeration. That Arsenal match, Pogba doesn't give away the penalty, it's a boring draw, but it is what it is and there's no reason to get on Ole's back. Istanbul literally didn't matter, and probably should have played more kids in fairness, again through that lens there's no reason to go on about it.

I still think we have issues in defence, which has been an issue for a couple of years now, but I can understand the lack of signing when we've ended up with half a dozen centre-backs and yet there's still no competition for places; and we can't get rid of the ones who aren't premiere league material.

That lack of depth last season, and the bad signings we can't shift aren't really Ole's fault - much of the defence Ole inherited. Those aren't things Poch or anyone else fixes.

Record breaking away form while at the same time being in relegation level at home.

The constant back and forth from fans/media is enough to give ye whiplash.

Anyone wanting to replace ole with "trophies are for the ego" poch is deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Anyone wanting to replace ole with "trophies are for the ego" poch is deluded.
    Just curious, why is it deluded to want to replace a mediocre coach with a good coach? It might not guarantee titles, and I would agree that maybe expecting it 100% would be deluded but if you have the chance to upgrade then why not?

Personally I feel titles would be a bonus but I'd just like to see us play some fun football. Today was pretty dire despite winning 3-1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how Poch is an upgrade over Solksjaer, realistically what credentials does he have to suggest he'd in any way be an improvement?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I don't see how Poch is an upgrade over Solksjaer, realistically what credentials does he have to suggest he'd in any way be an improvement?
    He took a team that was pretty much considered a joke and had only finished in the top4 once to regular top4 every season and a CL final? I don't even necessarily rate Poch that highly but to say he's not an upgrade over Ole who's biggest managerial achievements include getting relegated with Cardiff and finishing 35 points behind Liverpool and City seems like a bit of a joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you like him as a person or as a manager though?
    I think this is a good question. I like him as a person, as a manager I think he has a lot still to learn, but at the same time I feel he's done pretty well with what he has overall. He's made some weird substitute decisions sometimes and the tactics have sometimes been a bit off, but as I said I think he's still learning.

Just curious, why is it deluded to want to replace a mediocre coach with a good coach? It might not guarantee titles, and I would agree that maybe expecting it 100% would be deluded but if you have the chance to upgrade then why not?

Personally I feel titles would be a bonus but I'd just like to see us play some fun football. Today was pretty dire despite winning 3-1.
    Spurs squad was a lot better than utd for a long time. And in that time they won less trophies than utd did. Ole isn't perfect but he is building something. To change now would be a waste and constant changing of manager isn't good. Only really Chelsea have pulled that off.
    And especially when covid makes it even easier for the board to invest just enough to compete for top 4 but not the overhaul required to put in a title challenge

Spurs squad was a lot better than utd for a long time. And in that time they won less trophies than utd did. Ole isn't perfect but he is building something. To change now would be a waste and constant changing of manager isn't good. Only really Chelsea have pulled that off.
    And especially when covid makes it even easier for the board to invest just enough to compete for top 4 but not the overhaul required to put in a title challenge
    I will give Ole a little bit of credit because I think transfer-wise we have slowly moved out the weakest pieces and brought in better players, even if the team as a whole isn't getting better due to tactics. He will be the first manager who will actually leave a better team for the next manager than what it was when he took over, which I can't say for Mourinho, LVG, Moyes, and even SAF left a team that needed some work.

Just on a personal level I just want to see us play some fun football again. This whole 'sit back and counter' is not that fun to watch IMO and it seems all we're capable of. If Ole got us playing like Arsenal under Wenger's last few years (fun but not really winning the titles anyways) the lack of winning titles wouldn't really bother me if we're at least putting on a good show.

What is he building exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    What is he building exactly?
    Just need to look at the signings. Under mourinho they were after perisic and Danny Rose. Pretty much every signing bar Daniel James has improved the team. He's also been on record breaking streaks like when he arrived and even recently with away wins. His record vs the other top 6 is actually really good and that's normally where manager tactics makes the biggest difference. So if utd can sort out thier consistentcy problems they might actually put in a challenge.