Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Racial Characteristics

So what are the main feautres and characteristics of each race?

e.g.
    Gnomes - megalomania and engineering
    elves - magic and nobility
    Humans - potential and jack of all trades
    Trolls - mysticism and spirituality
    Orcs - war and ..?

I haven't seen a lot of nobility from elves, to be honest.

Arrogance and hubris? Loads of that, though. From all the flavors of elf.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    So what are the main feautres and characteristics of each race?

e.g.
    Gnomes - megalomania and engineering
    Humans - potential and jack of all trades
    Orcs - BLOOD AND THUNDER
    Fixed that for you.

Also those:
    Draenei: eating blue grass
    Worgen: grandma impersonation
    Dwarf: beer

7+ Year Old Account
    Orcs - war and ..?
    You really don't do a good job masking your disdain and contempt for orcs. Not surprised given your unhealthy obsession with night elves.

Funny enough, I could argue orcs have much more "racial characteristics" as compared to any other major race in the Warcraft universe.

High sense of honor, sense of value on tradition, emphasis on family and the line you came from... and this is just a few.

7+ Year Old Account
    Night elves say hi.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    High sense of honor,
    Considering their penchant for mass slaughter, pillaging, and genocide, their definition of "honor" is a little wonky. Probably depends on how one defines a nebulous concept like "muh honor".

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You really don't do a good job masking your disdain and contempt for orcs. Not surprised given your unhealthy obsession with night elves.

Funny enough, I could argue orcs have much more "racial characteristics" as compared to any other major race in the Warcraft universe.

High sense of honor, sense of value on tradition, emphasis on family and the line you came from... and this is just a few.
    You forgot their tendency to get lost on crossroads.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Considering their penchant for mass slaughter, pillaging, and genocide, their definition of "honor" is a little wonky. Probably depends on how one defines a nebulous concept like "muh honor".
    If you choose to generalize it like that, then sure I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Gnomes - ingenuity and engineering
    Humans - community building and adaptability
    Worgen - personal strength and endurance
    Draenei - wisdom and belief
    Night Elves - nature and essential balance
    Tushui Pandaren - philosophy and mediation
    Dwarves - tradition and discovery

Orcs - martial prowess and honor
    Forsaken - resolve and willfulness
    Blood Elves - magic and tradition
    Goblins - engineering and mercantilism
    Tauren - nature and steadfastness
    Houjin Pandaren - resolve and mediation

The Allied races generally share the basic characteristics of their parent races, with perhaps subtle differences in accentuation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Night elves say hi.
    night elves are both very magical (nature and arcane, as well as divine) and quite noble - or have you never heard of the highborne, the ngiht elf empire? the nightborne, the resto and balance druids? Great civilziaiton, growing a magical world tree the size of an island, waking up trees, guiding the evolution of the world in the emerald dream, teleportation, the mage class, the druid class, the goddess Elune?

I mean these are all a part of the night elf race and very magical, even their Warcraft 3 description. From the start.. guess how many times magic is stated there?

Last edited by ravenmoon; 2019-07-23 at 06:50 PM.

Honor, so long as it doesn't get in the way of bloodthirsty massacres. The minute it's inconvenient, out the window, but the orc will feel sad about it while the bodies are cooling, right Saurfang? Don't forget unmatched ability to play the victim as well as most susceptible to mind control and deception.

Traditions like...? Slaughter everything that moves, burn down everything that doesn't? Other than Mak'gora and Horde = Warchief, exactly what traditions do the orcs actually adhere to?

Emphasis on family, oh man. "OK, Thogdar Jr. today is Take Your Son to the Massacre Day! Take your ax and go with your father. Come back soaked in blood or dead." The only concern for family seems to be that everyone upholds the dying in battle idea, which is why you don't see many old orcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Other than Mak'gora and Horde = Warchief, exactly what traditions do the orcs actually adhere to?
    Those are perfect examples of traditions they adhere to, and they put a very big emphasis on. But to answer your question, a big tradition that was practiced on Draenor pre-corruption and made a return during and post-Thrall's reign would be practicing shamanism. Orcs are a spiritual people after all.

And I'm sorry, but I can't really take you and the other guy seriously when you guys just say "orcs bloodthirsty, orcs kill, orcs bad" when Warcraft orcs have largely the most lore behind them. Lore that isn't 100% "orcs only commit bloodthirsty massacres" and "slaughter everything that moves" and what not.

The only concern for family seems to be that everyone upholds the dying in battle idea, which is why you don't see many old orcs
    And yet, that doesn't change the fact they have a strong emphasis on family. Just proves it more.

As well as it shows that orcs generally aren't as intelligent as other races, which I personally don't think they are.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2019-07-23 at 07:58 PM.

What defines the Ren'dorei the most is:

- The Void, of course, this should be obvious;
    - Idealism, because they have always believed in the Alliance's noble ideals;
    - Secrecy, because they act from the shadows of a wrecked World Soul;
    - Desperation, because they were almost turned into monsters and do not want to make the same mistake again, no matter the cost;
    - Patience/Calm, which they need in their demanding training to keep the whispers of the darkness at bay.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Those are perfect examples of traditions they adhere to, and they put a very big emphasis on. But to answer your question, a big tradition that was practiced on Draenor pre-corruption and made a return during and post-Thrall's reign would be practicing shamanism.
    Too bad all that was tossed with Garrosh onwards.

And I'm sorry, but I can't really take you and the other guy seriously when you guys just say "orcs bloodthirsty, orcs kill, orcs bad" when Warcraft orcs have largely the most lore behind them. Lore that isn't 100% "orcs only commit bloodthirsty massacres" and "slaughter everything that moves" and what not.
    I can't really take orc apologists seriously, so we're even.

So where are all these traditions? Besides the two I provided for you? Where's proof of this supposed spirituality? They are continually portrayed as bloodthirsty monsters, to the point the current dumpster fire involves the Warchief saying they'll get bored and want blood.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

i'd say more like:

humans: organized, social/cooperative, efficient
    dwarves: industrial,conservative,tough
    night elves: mystical, primal, attuned to nature, nimble
    gnomes: innovative, engineering
    draenei: religious
    worgen: feral,violent, aggressive
    void elves: curious,power hungry, corrupt
    kul'tirans: isolationists,rugged, marine

orcs: brutish, traditional, militant, honor bound
    tauren: natural,noble, peaceful, harmonious
    trolls: violent,primitive
    forsaken: cynical,nihilst,cunning,ruthless
    blood elves: arrogant, reckless, elitists
    goblins: greedy,devious, selfish, sly
    nightborne: noble, arrogant, isolationists, inquisitive, elitist, entirely reliant on magic/physically weakened
    zandalari: maintains the savage traits of the trolls, but with more structure and hierarchy

pandaren: peacefull, wise, kind, lively, respectful, playful

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    i'd say more like:

humans: organized, social/cooperative, efficient
    dwarves: industrial,conservative,tough
    night elves: mystical, primal, attuned to nature, nimble
    gnomes: innovative, engineering
    draenei: religious
    worgen: feral,violent, aggressive
    void elves: curious,power hungry, corrupt
    kul'tirans: isolationists,rugged, marine

orcs: brutish, traditional, militant, honor bound
    tauren: natural,noble, peaceful, harmonious
    trolls: violent,primitive
    forsaken: cynical,nihilst,cunning,ruthless
    blood elves: arrogant, reckless, elitists
    goblins: greedy,devious, selfish, sly
    nightborne: noble, arrogant, isolationists, inquisitive, elitist, entirely reliant on magic/physically weakened
    zandalari: maintains the savage traits of the trolls, but with more structure and hierarchy

pandaren: peacefull, wise, kind, lively, respectful, playful
    Nightborne aren't physically weak, they just perfectioned their arcane so much they barely need to use raw strength unless they are spellblades or something.
    Also, human ruled lands are de facto incredibly inefficient to the point of constantly being saved by plot twists, ignoring logistics and so.

Night Elves are very experienced in dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Too bad all that was tossed with Garrosh onwards.

I can't really take orc apologists seriously, so we're even.

So where are all these traditions? Besides the two I provided for you? Where's proof of this supposed spirituality? They are continually portrayed as bloodthirsty monsters, to the point the current dumpster fire involves the Warchief saying they'll get bored and want blood.
    Err.. Rise of the Horde? Lord of the Clans? The entire WoD expansion? As the poster you quoted pointed out Orcs have received some of the most in depth attention of any race in Warcraft lore and their shamanic and tribal traditions have been present throughout: the shamanic traditions of the Frostwolves, the martial traditions of the Burning Blade, the dark mysticism of the Bleeding Hollow, the assassins of the Shattered Hand- all of these are examples of the traditional beliefs, practices, or organisations that have survived through both the Old and New Horde.

Orcs aren't my favourite race (apart from the Shadowmoon they don't even make the shortlist), but you would have to be downright ignorant of Warcraft lore to claim that they have solely been depicted as mindless monsters- their perspective even forms the basis of several novels, which I can assure you are not simply hundreds of pages of "orckillorckillorckill"

Quote Originally Posted by Tharivor View Post
    Err.. Rise of the Horde? Lord of the Clans?
    Read 'em both, and they banged on about shamanic traditions, but there was precious little specifics. RotH was more interested in Durotan, mighty orc warrior, who was afraid to speak up until it was too late (whee, teen drama writing). LotC had Thrall hearing about "our people weren't always bloodthirsty monsters" from Drek'Thar, but very little specifics on their people, far more on the shaman training. What are their exact principles? What are their exact beliefs? A vague bit of ancestor worship and typical fantasy chest beating, but that's for all orcs.

the shamanic traditions of the Frostwolves, the martial traditions of the Burning Blade, the dark mysticism of the Bleeding Hollow, the assassins of the Shattered Hand
    And there should more than just "here's this guy's job". Bleeding Hollow pulls out an eye to see the future. OK, and? Let's see, Bleeding Hollow pulls out an eye to see their death, and that's it. Burning Blade is a slightly refined "strongest guy leads". Shattered Hand are masochists and assassins. There's details, but precious little depth or breadth.

all of these are examples of the traditional beliefs, practices, or organisations that have survived through both the Old and New Horde.
    Not until the Mag'har. The WoW orcs aren't even assigned tribes, barring a recent development my Horde tourist didn't see yet.

Orcs aren't my favourite race (apart from the Shadowmoon they don't even make the shortlist), but you would have to be downright ignorant of Warcraft lore to claim that they have solely been depicted as mindless monsters- their perspective even forms the basis of several novels, which I can assure you are not simply hundreds of pages of "orckillorckillorckill"
    Good thing I made no such claim. The problem is we HEAR and READ about these things, and what we're SHOWN violates the hell out of them. We aren't shown a spiritual people who deeply respect life, we're shown brutes that love to kill anything that's not orc, and if no others are available, kill each other.

Edit: Hmmm, I compose posts in an editor and paste to avoid the annoyance of MMO-C timeouts. Don't know how the BH part got messed up like that.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2019-07-23 at 10:26 PM.

Read 'em both, and they banged on about shamanic traditions, but there was precious little specifics. RotH was more interested in Durotan, mighty orc warrior, who was afraid to speak up until it was too late (whee, teen drama writing). LotC had Thrall hearing about "our people weren't always bloodthirsty monsters" from Drek'Thar, but very little specifics on their people, far more on the shaman training. What are their exact principles? What are their exact beliefs? A vague bit of ancestor worship and typical fantasy chest beating, but that's for all orcs.

And there should more than just "here's this guy's job". Bleeding Hollow pulls out an eye to see the future. OK, and? Let's see, Bleeding Hollow pulls out an eye to see their death, and that's it. Burning Blade is a slightly refined "strongest guy leads". Shattered Hand are masochists and assassins. There's details, but precious little depth or breadth.

Not until the Mag'har. The WoW orcs aren't even assigned tribes, barring a recent development my Horde tourist didn't see yet.

Good thing I made no such claim. The problem is we HEAR and READ about these things, and what we're SHOWN violates the hell out of them. We aren't shown a spiritual people who deeply respect life, we're shown brutes that love to kill anything that's not orc, and if no others are available, kill each other.
    You'll get no argument from me about the general poor writing and constant telling rather than showing, however I'm not sure Blizzard's characteristic lack of depth and details is something specific to Orc lore.