Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it possible to overclock the Ryzen 7 3700x's boost?

I know that it is possible to overclock the base frequency/speed but I've noticed that when I do this the processor will no longer boost as it normally would at default speeds. For example: base speed is 3.6ghz and the advertised boost is 4.4ghz. I would like to boost the 4.4ghz to something like 4.6ghz.

Is this possible?

As far as I know Precision Boost Override only allows you to have all cores boost and remain at an elevated voltage for longer periods of time than it normally would.

I'm relatively new to AMD processors so I'm hoping someone with more experience can chime in.

Board I have is MSI x570 - A Pro

I'm not going to attempt any crazy overclocking but I am still curious if the boost can be changed.

Nope. These cpus come pushed almost to the limit out of the box already (imagine intel selling 9900k configured to 5.0/5.1 as stock setting)

Depending on binning, maybe a little. But you shouldn't expect any. Ryzen boost works very much like how it works on GPUs and it will go to the highest it can automaticly while staying in certain parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    (imagine intel selling 9900k configured to 5.0/5.1 as stock setting)
    They will be, it's called the 9900KS.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might be able to if you really win the Silicon lottery. But no, the CPUs come super close to maxxed out already out of the box, there's really no OC headroom unless you're willing to go to liquid nitrogen.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teca View Post
    I know that it is possible to overclock the base frequency/speed but I've noticed that when I do this the processor will no longer boost as it normally would at default speeds. For example: base speed is 3.6ghz and the advertised boost is 4.4ghz. I would like to boost the 4.4ghz to something like 4.6ghz.

Is this possible?

As far as I know Precision Boost Override only allows you to have all cores boost and remain at an elevated voltage for longer periods of time than it normally would.

I'm relatively new to AMD processors so I'm hoping someone with more experience can chime in.

Board I have is MSI x570 - A Pro

I'm not going to attempt any crazy overclocking but I am still curious if the boost can be changed.
    Nope can not be done. You should be happy if you see your Ryzen go to 4.4GHz at all. Most Ryzen chips wont go to much more then 4.1GHz. So 4.6GHz on a Ryzen chip is only gonna happen in dreams.

The Ryzen chips ARE NOT for overclockers
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

If you really want have some overclocking fun with AMD platform, try overclocking infinity fabric instead. With good memory, you could actually see some solid boost in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Nope can not be done. You should be happy if you see your Ryzen go to 4.4GHz at all. Most Ryzen chips wont go to much more then 4.1GHz. So 4.6GHz on a Ryzen chip is only gonna happen in dreams.

The Ryzen chips ARE NOT for overclockers
    I'm aware of the current problem a lot of people are having with ryzen 7 3000's that they wont boost to advertised speeds but I got my hands on the bios fix that was recently announced and now mine does in fact boost to 4.4ghz as advertised.

What I was really asking is if it is possible to increase the boost speed manually with a setting in the bios. So far I haven't seen a setting other than to change the multiplier but that only affects the base speed and causes the processor to no longer boost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aware of the current problem a lot of people are having with ryzen 7 3000's that they wont boost to advertised speeds but I got my hands on the bios fix that was recently announced and now mine does in fact boost to 4.4ghz as advertised.

What I was really asking is if it is possible to increase the boost speed manually with a setting in the bios. So far I haven't seen a setting other than to change the multiplier but that only affects the base speed and causes the processor to no longer boost.
    The multiplier is what it prefers to boost to, then it can boost above that to 4.4 if there's thermal headroom.
    You can set the multiplier to 46 if you want, but you won't be able to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The multiplier is what it prefers to boost to, then it can boost above that to 4.4 if there's thermal headroom.
    You can set the multiplier to 46 if you want, but you won't be able to run it.
    Are you certain of this? I always thought the core multiplier was simply what the frequency was multiplied by (36x100mhz for the base speed of 3.6ghz) and has zero to do with the boost speed since once you change the multiplier from default, the processor will no longer boost. I can and have changed the multiplier to 43 resulting in the processor running at 4.3ghz but it will not boost.
    Last edited by Teca; 2019-09-23 at 10:10 PM.

Are you certain of this? I always thought the core multiplier was simply what the frequency was multiplied by (36x100mhz for the base speed of 3.5ghz) and has zero to do with the boost speed since once you change the multiplier from default, the processor will no longer boost. I can and have changed the multiplier to 43 resulting in the processor running at 4.3ghz but it will not boost.
    Ryzen 5 3600 on my brothers pc can boost up to 4350 from advertised boost of 4200, i just set bios PBO limits to "motherboard" limits setting, and auto oc +200. Maybe a 3700x is already maxed out, but have u given that a try?

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Ryzen 5 3600 on my brothers pc can boost up to 4350 from advertised boost of 4200, i just set bios PBO limits to "motherboard" limits setting, and auto oc +200. Maybe a 3700x is already maxed out, but have u given that a try?
    Well that's the problem, I know where to locate the PBO settings but I can't find where I can offset the actual boost. I've only seen that I can change the multiplier to change the base speed.

Help me understand what you are looking for here. You take a 3700X, hard set it to 4.4Ghz, it runs. Are you then wanting the boost to take it up to 4.6Ghz? Why not just take it to 4.6 yourself? If you can't get it to run at 4.6, why do you expect boost to make it happen?

My experience thus far, is the Ryzen 3700X caps out at a certain point whether I hard set it or let boost get it there. A ceiling is a ceiling, not matter how you reach it, no?
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2019-09-23 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Help me understand what you are looking for here. You take a 3700X, hard set it to 4.4Ghz, it runs. Are you then wanting the boost to take it up to 4.6Ghz? Why not just take it to 4.6 yourself? If you can't get it to run at 4.6, why do you expect boost to make it happen?

My experience this far, is the Ryzen 3700X caps out at a certain point whether I hard set it or let boost get it there. A ceiling is a ceiling, not matter how you reach it, no?
    Ideally i would like the base speed to remain at 3.6ghz and want the boost to go from 4.4ghz to 4.5 or 4.6. If its maxed out its maxed out but I still want to know where the settings are in order to offset the boost like that.

Ideally i would like the base speed to remain at 3.6ghz and want the boost to go from 4.4ghz to 4.5 or 4.6. If its maxed out its maxed out but I still want to know where the settings are in order to offset the boost like that.
    So you think 4.6Gh might be possible, but boost is keeping you locked to never trying more than 4.4Ghz?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    So you think 4.6Gh might be possible, but boost is keeping you locked to never trying more than 4.4Ghz?
    Not exactly, what I'm saying is that the only way ive seen to overclock this processor, at least on my motherboard, is by changing the multiplier. But when I change the multiplier, the processor will no longer boost it will just remain at the new speed set by the multiplier.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they could offset the boost by 200mhz but I have yet to see an option for that in my MSI bios.

Not exactly, what I'm saying is that the only way ive seen to overclock this processor, at least on my motherboard, is by changing the multiplier. But when I change the multiplier, the processor will no longer boost it will just remain at the new speed set by the multiplier.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they could offset the boost by 200mhz but I have yet to see an option for that in my MSI bios.
    You can use Ryzen Master if you cant find it on your MSI bios, turn on PBO and Auto OC set it to 200, im sure there are guides out there on using ryzen master, i havent used it, I always overclock thru bios. Doing it like this is better than setting the multiplier higher, coz usually boost clocks higher for games (esp. blizzard games) than an all core OC.

Well that's the problem, I know where to locate the PBO settings but I can't find where I can offset the actual boost. I've only seen that I can change the multiplier to change the base speed.
    On gigabyte boards the "Auto OC" option only shows up once the PBO settings is turned on, and btw PBO set at "Default" means its off.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2019-09-24 at 02:13 AM.

I overclocked my ryzen 3700x to 4.4 GHz. So there is no room for boost, but its stable 4.4 all time.

1.45v
    Liquid cooling
    Danwo

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danwo View Post
    I overclocked my ryzen 3700x to 4.4 GHz. So there is no room for boost, but its stable 4.4 all time.

1.45v
    Liquid cooling
    It's insane how much Vcore those Ryzen 3000 chips need. I run my i9 at 5.0Ghz with 1.260 Vcore
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    It's insane how much Vcore those Ryzen 3000 chips need. I run my i9 at 5.0Ghz with 1.260 Vcore
    And it all means absolutely nothing. Different architectures cannot be compared even if they used the same manufacturing node.. And Intel certainly doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    And it all means absolutely nothing. Different architectures cannot be compared even if they used the same manufacturing node.. And Intel certainly doesn't.
    I mean, Vcore is a very simple thing. It's how much voltage goes into the CPU. That can absolutely be compared. Whether or not that leads to anything relevant is another question.