Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ...
25
65
73
74
75
76
77
85
... LastLast
  1. #1481
    The only reason people are up in arms about Hong Kong is because it benefits certain western powers when protests destabilize the PRC.

    Meanwhile borderline humanitarian crises, willful genocides and mass rapes in countries like India, Venezuela and Turkey are completely forgotten about.

    If you're going to make a political statement (and calling it a political statement is generous) by cancelling a subscription for a game that you enjoy over geopolitical muscle-offs, you are a complete dumbass. That's all. Your "voice" doesn't fucking matter. Let the big boys sort out their troubles themselves and keep your nose in your own business.

  2. #1482
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    If you're going to make a political statement (and calling it a political statement is generous) by cancelling a subscription for a game that you enjoy over geopolitical muscle-offs, you are a complete dumbass.
    Is this why Blizzard has been acting scared and cancelling Launch Events?
    by cancelling a subscription for a game that you enjoy over geopolitical muscle-offs, you are a complete dumbass.
    Hong Kong people cancelling Subs are Dumb?

    The only reason people are up in arms about Hong Kong is because it benefits certain western powers when protests destabilize the PRC.
    Wrong, it's also about Human Rights and Democracy.

    Meanwhile borderline humanitarian crises, willful genocides and mass rapes in countries like India, Venezuela and Turkey are completely forgotten about.
    It seems like you would prefer Doing Nothing then Doing Anything.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-10-19 at 07:49 AM.

  3. #1483
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Wrong, it's also about Human Rights and Democracy.
    Human rights and democracy are a sham concept created to placate the ignorant masses. Money is your only path to freedom. Just because most western countries and the UN pay lip-service to human rights, it doesn't actually mean that they sincerely believe in them or intend to institute or enforce them in any meaningful way.

  4. #1484
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    If eSports want to be taken seriously, they like Sports have to keep politics out, people tune in to take a break from politics, and athletes compete on equal opportunity regardless of what their respective governments do, they compete as individuals

    If one wants to accept politics one agrees with, one would have to put up with politics one disagrees with..
    Blizzard needs to be firm, but fair, ban everyone who uses the eSports as a political bullhorn...not go overkill on one person n then ignore others who do the same thing. Also, they should react just as much to someone saying pro-China anti-secessionist rhetoric.
    The games should only be about GAMES, nothing else

    Apply rules equally, and I have zero sympathy to the guy who got the ban, he did so knowing he broke the rules, I can't understand why there's a flood of sympathy for him, do people realize if they get their way, they'll in turn be subject to politics they themselves find objectionable?? What if, lets say a Turkish Hearthstone player calls Kurds terrorists?

    So, don't throw rocks in glass houses...
    Sport was always abauth the politics. Here is a bit of history if you dont belive it:

  5. #1485
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Human rights and democracy are a sham concept created to placate the ignorant masses. Money is your only path to freedom. Just because most western countries and the UN pay lip-service to human rights, it doesn't actually mean that they sincerely believe in them or intend to institute or enforce them in any meaningful way.
    I see. you're an empire-builder then?

  6. #1486
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Money is your only path to freedom.
    LMAO is that why many Companies are working with an Authoritarian Communist Regime?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Sport was always abauth the politics.
    Wouldn't be surprised if this happens in the next Blizzard E-Sports event or Convention.

    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-10-19 at 08:57 AM.

  7. #1487
    Chinese government is completely insane.
    Just look at this situation that happened in Sweden with Chinese tourists.

    Basically police had to remove tourists from the hotel because they wanted free stay on the lobby.
    They were "booted" and then China replied to Sweden with this beauty of a quote:

    China:
    "We find it shocking and hard to understand that the three Chinese tourists were treated in such a brutal manner in a country that always talks about human rights and justice"

    VIDEO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2QoCrnuGko&t=7m11s

    This makes me want to...punch something

  8. #1488
    Jim leans in on the recent senator development.


  9. #1489
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    60,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Blizz really fucked up this time, didn't they?
    <snip>
    Frankly, the letter is so baffling I originally assumed it was a fake.

    There's no reason members of Congress should be taking that angle of attack. It's crazypants. And as much as I've generally supported AOC, this is nonsense.

    Note, before you jump all over me, my issue is not that they came out to support Hong Kong's freedom or to speak against China's totalitarianism. Totally in favor of all that (if surprised Rubio's putting his name to it). That part is fine.

    The baffling part is taking Blizzard to task for possibly punishing a player for breaking agreed-upon rules a bit too harshly. And the player in question isn't an American citizen, meaning they have no real responsibility to get involved in that. And Blizzard had, as far as I'm aware, already agreed he'd receive the prizes he'd won, just be banned from league play for 6 months. Do I think that's too harsh? Sure. Do I think Congress needs to weigh in on the matter at this point? Fuckno.

    Write your letter and target China, and leave Blizzard out of the equation. It's a baffling insertion that seems to be included solely because Blizzard is based in the USA and thus gives them some questionable reason to weigh in on everything.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-10-19 at 06:56 PM.

  10. #1490
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Frankly, the letter is so baffling I originally assumed it was a fake.

    There's no reason members of Congress should be taking that angle of attack. It's crazypants. And as much as I've generally supported AOC, this is nonsense.

    Note, before you jump all over me, my issue is not that they came out to support Hong Kong's freedom or to speak against China's totalitarianism. Totally in favor of all that (if surprised Rubio's putting his name to it). That part is fine.

    The baffling part is taking Blizzard to task for possibly punishing a player for breaking agreed-upon rules a bit too harshly. And the player in question isn't an American citizen, meaning they have no real responsibility to get involved in that. And Blizzard had, as far as I'm aware, already agreed he'd receive the prizes he'd won, just be banned from league play for 6 months. Do I think that's too harsh? Sure. Do I think Congress needs to weigh in on the matter at this point? Fuckno.

    Write your letter and target China, and leave Blizzard out of the equation. It's a baffling insertion that seems to be included solely because Blizzard is based in the USA and thus gives them some questionable reason to weigh in on everything.

    And let's be clear; Chung wasn't banned by Blizzard for "supporting Hong Kong", it was for using the platform to do any political advocacy.
    Guys, what's crazier?

    1) Congress weighs in on what happens in a Hearthstone tournament.

    2) Bovinity and Endus agree on something.

    Plot twist: They both happened!

  11. #1491
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Tsunako
    Posts
    15,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Note, before you jump all over me, my issue is not that they came out to support Hong Kong's freedom or to speak against China's totalitarianism. Totally in favor of all that (if surprised Rubio's putting his name to it). That part is fine.
    Marco Rubio despite all the things I disagree with, has always been pretty anti-China. He introduced the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act and cosponsored the TAIPEI Act for example.

  12. #1492
    Herald of the Titans Chinese Bootlickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    The only reason people are up in arms about Hong Kong is because it benefits certain western powers when protests destabilize the PRC.

    Meanwhile borderline humanitarian crises, willful genocides and mass rapes in countries like India, Venezuela and Turkey are completely forgotten about.

    If you're going to make a political statement (and calling it a political statement is generous) by cancelling a subscription for a game that you enjoy over geopolitical muscle-offs, you are a complete dumbass. That's all. Your "voice" doesn't fucking matter. Let the big boys sort out their troubles themselves and keep your nose in your own business.
    Stop being a fucking tragedy hipster m8.

  13. #1493
    Not quite related, but it seems Pewds is banned in China now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Wrong, it's also about Human Rights and Democracy.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind the Communist party getting demolished. Have the exiles in Taiwan retake the reigns and finally realize Sun Yat-Sen's vision.

  14. #1494
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Ugh... I hate Pewdiepie, and not for anything he said or did or how he may present himself. I couldn't even tell you what the guy even looks like! :P It's just that his name comes up in EVERY damn forum I'm in talking at some point about him being banned somewhere and subsequent people being mad about him being banned. Like, that's all I know about the guy... like his shtick seems to me is to get banned and has an army of people outrage over him all over the internet about him being banned. :P

  15. #1495
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,173
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Ugh... I hate Pewdiepie, and not for anything he said or did or how he may present himself. I couldn't even tell you what the guy even looks like! :P It's just that his name comes up in EVERY damn forum I'm in talking at some point about him being banned somewhere and subsequent people being mad about him being banned. Like, that's all I know about the guy... like his shtick seems to me is to get banned and has an army of people outrage over him all over the internet about him being banned. :P
    so you hate him because he's popular? sounds like a perfectly logical reason.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  16. #1496
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so you hate him because he's popular? sounds like a perfectly logical reason.
    I was trying to be funny. Guess the tongue-out Emoji wasn’t enough... huh. :P

    Obligatory #whysoserious :P

  17. #1497
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    The only reason people are up in arms about Hong Kong is because it benefits certain western powers when protests destabilize the PRC.

    Meanwhile borderline humanitarian crises, willful genocides and mass rapes in countries like India, Venezuela and Turkey are completely forgotten about.

    If you're going to make a political statement (and calling it a political statement is generous) by cancelling a subscription for a game that you enjoy over geopolitical muscle-offs, you are a complete dumbass. That's all. Your "voice" doesn't fucking matter. Let the big boys sort out their troubles themselves and keep your nose in your own business.
    Ah the ole "you shouldn't be mad about this because this is just as bad argument". Never a good take.

  18. #1498
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I have to wonder if there is a Streisand effect going on in China. They did their damndest to hush Tiananmen Square but it has become common knowledge. They do their damndest to enforce a firewall and yet people keep getting through with VPNs. They do their best suppress freedom of religion and yet underground churches are growing at an unprecedented rate. I'm guessing that the more China cracks down, the more people realize that the government is trying to hide stuff from them, even if they ostensibly say the right words to satisfy the bureaucracy. Then again, I'm guessing the amount of people who are actually in the know are in the minority (as is the case over in the West).

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  19. #1499
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,112
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Ugh... I hate Pewdiepie, and not for anything he said or did or how he may present himself. I couldn't even tell you what the guy even looks like! :P It's just that his name comes up in EVERY damn forum I'm in talking at some point about him being banned somewhere and subsequent people being mad about him being banned. Like, that's all I know about the guy... like his shtick seems to me is to get banned and has an army of people outrage over him all over the internet about him being banned. :P
    I dont like this video spammer either, but his army of subbers can be used against cenzorship. Probaly this guy next step would be to get banned by blizzard.

  20. #1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I have to wonder if there is a Streisand effect going on in China. They did their damndest to hush Tiananmen Square but it has become common knowledge.
    I think the main difference is that unlike 30 years ago, technology has advanced so far that it's not just governments and media that have a global connection, but also common joe-schmoe, so trying to hush things has become almost impossible. It's alot more difficult to silence something when you got millions of eyes looking at the same thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •