Windows update broke start menu (missing programs)

So yay, when I finally manage to update it gets all broken. The start menu is missing almost all my 3rd party programs (I can still find them intact in the start menu folders), and they start just fine from .exe. Got no idea how to get them back as they're not gone from folders.

Windows key + "X"

Click on apps and features, click on home
    click on update & security
    left side menu, click on recovery and try the "reset PC" option or if there is an option to "go back to a previous version" - Do that

Managed to get it fixed. I had to open every subfolder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Got the message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" and clicked continue. Restarted and voila.

Does microsoft intentionally make these bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by XystoZ View Post
    Managed to get it fixed. I had to open every subfolder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Got the message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" and clicked continue. Restarted and voila.

Does microsoft intentionally make these bugs?
    Do you really think so? Usually things are broken because:
    1. User has done some "optimisation" or "fixes" on their side.
    2. Software manufacturers (usually driver makers) have fucked up and ignored the proper way to do it.

So me updating windows yesterday and starting up today seeing my start menu icons gone, was because of user error?

Quote Originally Posted by XystoZ View Post
    So me updating windows yesterday and starting up today seeing my start menu icons gone, was because of user error?
    Yep. The user error was doing the update

It's a good habbit of waiting other people to beta test the new features for Microsoft before updating. Granted getting security updates is always somewhat recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's a good habbit of waiting other people to beta test the new features for Microsoft before updating. Granted getting security updates is always somewhat recommended.
    But Win10 has been out for years. Even the last major update 1903 has been out for at least 3 months. I've updated all 5 of the home systems without issue. Generically you can have 10 identical systems, upgrade them all using the same ISO and one will break, that is just the magic of computers. As such I pretty much upgrade right away, it either breaks or it doesn't, But I won't live in fear of upgrades

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Win10 1809 and 1903 have had a rash of bad updates this week (including the start menu thing). It's been getting a lot of news. It was fixed pretty fast, but sometimes 2-3 days isn't fast enough for 'borked my system'
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Second time this has happened to me, the other time a year or two ago too.

Goddamn I miss the simplicity win7 (and the feeling of Microsoft not micromanaging your PC)

Thanks for the heads up on the fix anyway OP, saved me some searching.