Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
LastLast
  1. #341
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    That would be a very narrow and subjective definition of "comedic," but I wouldn't fault you for it - just underscore that its going to be very singular in nature. Would also be highly depending on the trait being blown out of proportion, as well. I don't really find any of Baine's traits blown out of proportion, though; I find him a lot more moderate and measured than a lot of Horde members, actually. That being said, restraint and measure aren't always adapted well to an environment like Azeroth, either.
    I dunno, for me baine appears to be as obsessed with peace as goblin slayer is with goblins.

    "Who needs sex when you can have peace talks?"
    Like seriously he talks about peace non-stop and pretty much all his apperances are all about him showing how peaceful he is.

  2. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    On this website and the official forum?

    Yes, 100%. Completely and totally.

    If you're not just blindly hateful toward the entire story then you're a shill. If you disagree with a pretzel logiced nonsense version of reality only agreed on by the same 6 people agreeing with each other on every thread, you're wrong, ignorant, misinformed, ect.
    Sad but true. Circlejerk can be real hard on this forum.

  3. #343
    Oh so Baine enters Stormwind and everyone is friends with him but when I try I get attacked.

  4. #344
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    On this website and the official forum?

    Yes, 100%. Completely and totally.

    If you're not just blindly hateful toward the entire story then you're a shill. If you disagree with a pretzel logiced nonsense version of reality only agreed on by the same 6 people agreeing with each other on every thread, you're wrong, ignorant, misinformed, ect.
    It's actually when you get (repeatedly) proven wrong with sources when you are wrong, ignorant and misinformed. Because of the dictionary. The same dictionary that indicates the people who can support their point with the aforementioned sources instead of just throwing salt around the boogeyman of "the same 6 people" engaged in TEH CIRCLEJERK aren't the ones with pretzel logic. And the part about how one gets called a shill when they are not "blindly" hateful of the "entire" story is just straw-man bonanza. With a dash of faux victimhood vibes (though that part applies to the entirety of your post to be honest).


    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    So far the only people calling him consistent in this scenario are you and I, so you're more or less attempting to construct a public here - as I said above, if you find him consistent than that's great, end of story as it were.
    Not really. Because my main point on the whole consistency thing was that there was no public for the inconsistency party either. Which makes the constant reminders from Baine's defenders about how amazingly consistent he is absolutely meaningless regardless of whether there's a public for the consistency party instead or not. Because there doesn't seem to be anyone that actually needs that reminder.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've found the cries of "bad writing" to often be a mask for more personal distaste, like your own present, which is more or less an opinion and not any kind of objective statement or finding of fact.
    My own what?


    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    As for your personal opinion, I find it hyperbolic because I think it's exaggerated pretty well past the point of incredulity - that's my personal opinion of it. I am quite sure we disagree on the matter, of course.
    That makes as much sense as if you said you find me thinking beige color to be ugly (hypothetical example) hyperbolic. Or exaggerated for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Slant is an extremist, willing to sacrifice the lives of everyone to keep his wet dream of the EU alive.
    You shouldn't support people like him, it's like supporting ISIS.

  5. #345
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    23,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    My own what?
    Personal distaste.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    That makes as much sense as if you said you find me thinking beige color to be ugly (hypothetical example) hyperbolic. Or exaggerated for that matter.
    No, thinking beige is ugly is a pretty normal statement of opinion. Now if you said "beige is so horrid that it twists my guts into roiling coils of horror and forces me to paint the walls with my own vomit" I would say that is exceedingly hyperbolic. Saying Baine is a bad character who makes bad choices is a measured opinion, calling him "utterly deplorable" is hyperbolic. As with most things it's all a matter of scale.
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

  6. #346
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Reaffirming his eternal loyalty to his lord and master. That's why he's at the foot of the throne. Also, representing the Horde.
    I think it's just affirming that unless the horde & alliance are replaced with new factions in 9.0, Tyrande & Talanji will be the leaders of the Alliance & Horde. Where the players can participate in the War if they choose, while most cities are at peace & neutral, like Dalaran

  7. #347
    Herald of the Titans Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,788
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    The horde served it's purpose. Now I ally with Sylvanas and just want to be the 3rd faction that is hated by everyone at this point. Her plan was great, but they ended stupidly with just Darnassus they Needed to wipe the Alliance out from the Entire continent of Kalimdor then they could have controlled it. I want her to start blight bombing again.
    What circular logic is this?

    They dont support the horde! Traitors!!!111. I support the warchief that doesn't care for the horde and used it as a tool! No that doesn't make me a traitor!!!!11

    You realize blizz can't actually delete one faction from the game right? They want to make money.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  8. #348
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,099
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Sad but true. Circlejerk can be real hard on this forum.
    You mean how people circlejerked themself into believing that some kind of "Horde bias" exists?

  9. #349
    Scarab Lord Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    this shows that not even the grave can save characters
    "Not even death can save you from me" - Diablo Danuser
    "The heart of the Horde" = Alliance-approved Horde

  10. #350
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Sad but true. Circlejerk can be real hard on this forum.
    Thank God there's a button that makes it mostly go away.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    "Not even death can save you from me" - Diablo Danuser
    Well, he IS a necrophiliac.

  11. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    What circular logic is this?

    They dont support the horde! Traitors!!!111. I support the warchief that doesn't care for the horde and used it as a tool! No that doesn't make me a traitor!!!!11

    You realize blizz can't actually delete one faction from the game right? They want to make money.
    I think they're genuinely saying "I know Sylvanas wanted to destroy both factions and kill everyone, including myself, but I support her anyway!"

    Not even the death knights are that self-loathing and nihilistic, I'm not sure Blizzard could pull off a faction like that.

    Even playing as my forsaken death knight, who I RPed to be near-braindead from all the resurrections, with <The Gullible> title (my new favorite alt), hearing her admit to my face that she sent the Horde to die to Azshara didn't sit well with me for some reason.

    (9:34)

    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-29 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  12. #352
    And he and his Tauren are very welcome. You jelly?

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You mean how people circlejerked themself into believing that some kind of "Horde bias" exists?
    Horde bias is far less “tinfoil” then you try and show it as. While belittling anybody who dosent thread the “party line” and agrees that both factions are treated equally and all who disagree are idiots is circlejerk.

  14. #354
    Herald of the Titans Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I think they're genuinely saying "I know Sylvanas wanted to destroy both factions and kill everyone, including myself, but I support her anyway!"

    Not even the death knights are that self-loathing and nihilistic, I'm not sure Blizzard could pull off a faction like that.

    Even playing as my forsaken death knight, who I RPed to be near-braindead from all the resurrections, with <The Gullible> title (my new favorite alt), hearing her admit to my face that she sent the Horde to die to Azshara didn't sit well with me for some reason.

    (9:34)

    These people are crazy man. Honestly I dont think some of them realize this is a video game.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  15. #355
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,099
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Horde bias is far less “tinfoil” then you try and show it as. While belittling anybody who dosent thread the “party line” and agrees that both factions are treated equally and all who disagree are idiots is circlejerk.
    Yeah, right. "Its not bad when we are doing it" at its finest.

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Yeah, right. "Its not bad when we are doing it" at its finest.
    No, i just pointed out how having a “wrong” opinion became a stigma here.

  17. #357
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    23,359
    The only real "Horde bias" I've ever noted in WoW is the fact that the Horde seems to be the active force that moves much of the plot in the narrative, whereas the Alliance tends to be entirely reactive to whatever it is the Horde does - at least in terms of the faction conflict. This isn't necessarily a bad thing on its face, but I can see how some Alliance partisans might rankle at the notion that their faction never really seems proactive, biding its time until the Horde attacks unilaterally or what have you. Even on occasions where the Alliance is the first to throw down the proverbial gauntlet (such as with Varian in WotLK) it's in reaction to perceived Horde aggression. It would be nice to see the Alliance set the tone now and again - acting on its own, moving things forward within the story, and being overall more organic like its Horde counterpart.

    The coda of BfA has set up a number of factors that could lead to this very thing, as well; so it would be a great time to capitalize on that.
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The only real "Horde bias" I've ever noted in WoW is the fact that the Horde seems to be the active force that moves much of the plot in the narrative, whereas the Alliance tends to be entirely reactive to whatever it is the Horde does - at least in terms of the faction conflict. This isn't necessarily a bad thing on its face, but I can see how some Alliance partisans might rankle at the notion that their faction never really seems proactive, biding its time until the Horde attacks unilaterally or what have you. Even on occasions where the Alliance is the first to throw down the proverbial gauntlet (such as with Varian in WotLK) it's in reaction to perceived Horde aggression. It would be nice to see the Alliance set the tone now and again - acting on its own, moving things forward within the story, and being overall more organic like its Horde counterpart.
    The curse of refusing to stray into anything different but lawful good. I think it's hard to come up with a scenario where you could have it both ways really.

  19. #359
    Warchief Lupinemancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Posts
    2,018
    I think it would be interesing to see some "race rocation" for the factions. I doubt it'd ever happen, but It would be cool.

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    I think it's just affirming that unless the horde & alliance are replaced with new factions in 9.0, Tyrande & Talanji will be the leaders of the Alliance & Horde. Where the players can participate in the War if they choose, while most cities are at peace & neutral, like Dalaran
    The Unifaction has already formed story-wise, what's left is for the gameplay introduction. I don't think it'll cover much retro content though, simply because it'll be a lot of busiwork. Rather, our 120+ characters in Wrath of The Bolvar will be able to team up with anyone of any faction in new content, possibly up to and including guilds, but retro content will remain as it is. This would prevent problematic quests - like all of BFA, big parts of Mists, Cataclysm etc., but also raids - since ToC has a faction-specific fight and loot and SoO has events and dialogues that trigger based on faction. This is a whole lot of busiwork to fix for not much benefit, whereas doing it only for the most recent content is both simpler and more efficient. It could even be a voluntary toggle. There might be a more sizable merger planned, I wouldn't discount it, but this strikes me as the likeliest course.

    As for War Mode, personally I think that Talanji is doomed to apologize to the Alliance for her dad falling on their swords a few hundred times and Tyrande will learn about the glories of human potential or become a raid boss. They are the ones best suited to such a system, but I really doubt Blizzard want to permit this given how out of their way they made in trampling over established canon, personality and basic narrative sense to reach the Unifaction. Rather, Tremblade/Volrath and assorted meme characters are more likely to do it.

    @Powerogue

    You denied in absolute terms that Calia's appeal to the nu-undead had anything to do with her Lordaeronian nature or mindset. If you're going to spin, wait for the next topic, not something that can easily be verified by just going back two pages.

    Speaking of spin, back when this expansion started out we had one faction run by a cartoon villain and one run by disney prince, and only one had any variance to speak of. At the end of this, we have two factions with identical positions on effectively everything, with no distinguishable points of difference except aesthetic and not even that when it comes to half the Horde. Sylvanas was preferable then, as she is now, because she serves the purpose of the game - to enable intra and inter-faction conflict and to be proactive. Tyrande is the best vehicle for this, as she is both morally correct and well motivated, but Sylvanas, who is essentially a caricature, at least secures entertainment, which I can't say about the Teletubby peace circle that is the Unifaction leadership, the death of the majority of which transcends a mercy killing and would be the narrative equivalent of public service.

    The entire rest of the faction leader cast go counter to the very point of the game to instead serve some infantile moral message that no one actually believes in. In as much as anything is actively harmful its the intended message, because people who want to kill you just because they hate your hope/freedom and nothing else are fictional. The Nuremberg defense, disregard for your community on the basis of your momentary feelings and endless apologia for incompatible and hostile beliefs are dime a dozen in real life and it's these that the narrative pushes as being the peak of morality through its twee mouthpieces.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-10-29 at 12:07 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •