Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ...
7
15
16
17
18
19
27
... LastLast
  1. #321
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    98
    Wouldn't it be possible to keep the covenants a purely narrative/cosmetic choice and deliver those abilities with the soulbinds, which would in that case not be tied to specific covenants? From what we heard so far, we get to know them all, so independent of our choice, all of them will have us in quite high regards.

    But to be frank, i dont give a shit about the min/max aspect, I raid heroic with a tad of mythic in a rather casual guild.

  2. #322
    Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    People will take the one with the mathematically best skills and that's it. I don't get why Blizzard thinks this gives choice to the players. It absolutely does not. Especially with this 'you can only choose one, so choose wisely' crap. This will only make me look up a guide on what's providing the best DPS/HPS/Utility.

    Am I missing something here or is this system a really dumb idea?
    I'd like to hear your suggestion for a system that absolutely cannot be mix/maxed. I'll wait. Anything that is created that does dmg, healing, or provides utility can and will be min/maxed. Less so for the utility abilities (which some of the choices are), because they will be based on fights/situations. Of course none of this actually matters unless you're pushing top world kills, that 0.5% more dmg from a different new ability isn't going to help your guild not die to fire.

  3. #323
    Immortal roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    7,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    People will take the one with the mathematically best skills and that's it. I don't get why Blizzard thinks this gives choice to the players. It absolutely does not. Especially with this 'you can only choose one, so choose wisely' crap. This will only make me look up a guide on what's providing the best DPS/HPS/Utility.

    Am I missing something here or is this system a really dumb idea?
    You're missing that 90% of players aren't going to care if their spell is 1% better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Honestly if blizzard banned the use of Raider.io and all that bullshit tomorrow this would be a better game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    I'd like to hear your suggestion for a system that absolutely cannot be mix/maxed. I'll wait. Anything that is created that does dmg, healing, or provides utility can and will be min/maxed. Less so for the utility abilities (which some of the choices are), because they will be based on fights/situations. Of course none of this actually matters unless you're pushing top world kills, that 0.5% more dmg from a different new ability isn't going to help your guild not die to fire.
    The only real solution is to ban recount and all simming. Get rid of Raider.io, and all that other crap. Make requiring it bannable. Problem solved. FFxiv has none of this, and raiding is fine.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

  4. #324
    What you'll inevitably see in this debate is a bunch of people referencing the world's top guilds (in this case Limit and Method) and saying since they will always use even a .1% damage boost, it makes Covenant choices meaningless. Because millions of people should absolutely base the next two years of their time playing the game based on what the 50 best PvE players in the fucking world are doing. Which is sort of like saying it's pointless to make hamburgers for your kid tonight because, somewhere in England, Gordon Ramsey is cooking someone a $150 porterhouse.

  5. #325
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    I don't know if it was confirmed but I am afraid each Covenant will offer 1 transmog set that is shared across all armor types. At least that's the vibe I got from it.
    The media package demo is labelled 'plate' and depicts four plate armor sets, one for each covenant.

    Yes, there's going to be 16 sets. And yes, you probably don't want to overlap unless we have assurances of being able to change loyalties.


    This would also be the heavily implied "why" unique gear will be on hold until the second raid.
    Last edited by Elestia; 2019-11-03 at 08:52 PM.

  6. #326
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    You're missing that 90% of players aren't going to care if their spell is 1% better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Honestly if blizzard banned the use of Raider.io and all that bullshit tomorrow this would be a better game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The only real solution is to ban recount and all simming. Get rid of Raider.io, and all that other crap. Make requiring it bannable. Problem solved. FFxiv has none of this, and raiding is fine.
    That really doesn't fix anything though, people could just as easily stop being so hellbent on min/maxing. imo, banning those resources would be horrible for WoW, a lot of people find a specific enjoyment from getting the best out of their character. Killing the things that make useful theorycrafting possible is bad new bears.

  7. #327
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalarm View Post
    In short, the covenants seem like a headache to choose. You gotta choose one, and do the plus and minus of those:

    1: Covenant abilities you prefer in day to day (both the standard ones and the class one).
    2: Covenant abilities you prefer when raiding (or PVPing or WTV your main end-game activity is/will be).
    3: Transmogs.
    4: Lore wise which fits the most with you... That is not for everyone I admit. I just don't see my enh sham joining the necrolord or venthyr.
    5: Other perks, mounts, etc.
    In short, the CLASSES seem like a headache to choose. You gotta choose one, and do the plus and minus of those:

    1: CLASS abilities you prefer in day to day (both the standard ones and the class one).
    2: CLASS abilities you prefer when raiding (or PVPing or WTV your main end-game activity is/will be).
    3: Transmogs.
    4: Lore wise which fits the most with you... That is not for everyone.
    5: Other perks, mounts, etc.

  8. #328
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I think you've perfectly described Blizzard's exact intention with designing the Covenant abilities. Some will be dogshit, some will be cool. Most players will not pick a Covenant because of the ability, however. As a poster someodd pages back mentioned, they'll pick a Covenant because it's got those sweet fucking Owl people.
    Yeah, and then the ability is awful for their class, they are done with the lore of the Owl people, and no pug lets them stay for more than one boss.

    It's all a matter of how dramatically superior one Covenant will be to another for DPS Classes.

    It looks like people in these forums that all talk about "choosing the fun option!" don't even play the game. Heroic Pugs are trigger happy on removing people. Choosing obvious bad choices to your performance will impact your capability to actually play the game, from dungeons to raids, pug or not, unless all you do is do World Quests, LFR and content from 2 expansions in the past.

  9. #329
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    So you're saying specs are balanced in 9.0 with them choosing the best Covenant in mind?
    Specs aren't and will not ever be 100% balanced, but even a simple 1-2K more DPS people will go "Oh switch to Fire instead of Frost, it does more." That'll be the exact case here with these Covenants; "Why are you Covenant A? You'd do more switching to Covenant C."

    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I think we're overdramatizing things. It's one damage/healing/tanking ability, and one movement ability. The difference is not going to be anywhere near as dramatic as you think. This will be something mythic world first guilds take advantage of, it will not be something 90% of players will take advantage of. We'll see how it plays out but I really doubt it's going to make as big of an impact as you think... we'll have to see beta before we know for sure.

    I'm not saying that this is an ideal situation or preferable one, but I'm not going to cry wolf until we have more details.
    One ability means a lot though. When we lost one ability with losing our Legion legendaries, people really went, "man this feels unsatisfying."

    As for the "Only the best will talk about this." I disagree. As I said above, even things as simple as a small DPS increase will cause people to go, "Take this spec over this one." "Take this talent over this one." There's no reason to assume it's going to be different for Covenants.

    I'm not trying to cry wolf either, just using all the examples of it in the past that haven't exactly been ideal to make a well educated guess that this is going to go the same way.

  10. #330
    I hope every class ability from all covenants will be really bad, because I would like to choose my covenant for its theme and cosmetics and not have to worry about a full progress reset mid expansion because some gimmicky ability is required to cheese one of the major end game contents.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

  11. #331
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    One ability means a lot though. When we lost one ability with losing our Legion legendaries, people really went, "man this feels unsatisfying."
    .
    no, you are either ignorant, or distorting facts to fit narrative, loosing that one ability in fact was least of things that changed how classes played, especially since we got most of those abilities in talents anyway.

    Also, covenant A might be better on boss A but coventant B might be better on boss B, and covenant C might have more survi necessary to down boss C, it isn't clear cut, and if it won't work out like that one covenant is objectively better in 90% of situations noone will bitch about them. but that's for blizzard to work out in alpha/beta. my only worry is that with 4 covenant there will definitely be the "bad one" that instead of beeing best in 25% of cases will be best in 20% of cases

    Just as a sidenote, i see many people here don't know that covenants not only bring ability but also talent system, and arguably from the two, talent system is way more immportant for your character overall power
    Last edited by brt2pp; 2019-11-03 at 10:01 PM.

  12. #332
    Depends. If the difference is small enough, variance could easily exceed it. At which point, caring about it will be for a very specific and niche kind of player.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  13. #333
    If you don't mythic raid or do keys higher than 20, so if you belong to 95% of the playerbase - you can pick what you like

  14. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaamos View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible to keep the covenants a purely narrative/cosmetic choice and deliver those abilities with the soulbinds, which would in that case not be tied to specific covenants? From what we heard so far, we get to know them all, so independent of our choice, all of them will have us in quite high regards.

    But to be frank, i dont give a shit about the min/max aspect, I raid heroic with a tad of mythic in a rather casual guild.
    Is it possible: yes, but is it fun: NO. And Min/maxer will MIN/MAX anyway, so why should we care about the 5% who does it? Why should the rest who don't care a **** about min/max suffer because of these people? Sorry, but NO. Always keeping things purely cosmetic, visual and so on just because of these 5% of people (and from them 90% who does NOT need to min/max but think they are so elite that they are forced to min/max) is idiotic.

  15. #335
    Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    People will take the one with the mathematically best skills and that's it. I don't get why Blizzard thinks this gives choice to the players. It absolutely does not. Especially with this 'you can only choose one, so choose wisely' crap. This will only make me look up a guide on what's providing the best DPS/HPS/Utility.

    Am I missing something here or is this system a really dumb idea?
    Your topic title could be replaced with any feature in the game and it'd make sense.

  16. #336
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    People will take the one with the mathematically best skills and that's it. I don't get why Blizzard thinks this gives choice to the players. It absolutely does not. Especially with this 'you can only choose one, so choose wisely' crap. This will only make tryhards look up a guide on what's providing the best DPS/HPS/Utility.

    Am I missing something here or is this system a really dumb idea?
    Fixed that for you. Here's a revelation - not everyone gives a flying fuck about min-maxing. Some people will choose things that they feel are cool, or for RP reasons or because they like the feel of one of the Covenants.


    Will some sheep just look up what some guide says is best? Sure. But that's on them.

  17. #337
    Yes, but that's not the fault of the game, that's the fault of the players.

    If you want to play the boring Covenant, because it gives you a 5% dmg increase, go for it.

  18. #338
    Quote Originally Posted by brt2pp View Post
    In short, the CLASSES seem like a headache to choose. You gotta choose one, and do the plus and minus of those:

    1: CLASS abilities you prefer in day to day (both the standard ones and the class one).
    2: CLASS abilities you prefer when raiding (or PVPing or WTV your main end-game activity is/will be).
    3: Transmogs.
    4: Lore wise which fits the most with you... That is not for everyone.
    5: Other perks, mounts, etc.
    Lol no.

    A class is a big choice which affects everything but which you can always progress on another one at the same time. I had every class minus priests and rogue at max level from WoD to legion. A covenant is a big choice which presents different rewards in different facets of the game. A class is your vehicle though which you experience the game. A covenant will not dramatically change the gameplay experience but only the rewards and a few short cooldowns that will perform differently in different situations. A covenant is similar to choosing between grinding army of the light or argussian reach but you will never ever be able to choose the rewards from the other one. You can want to make alts to play another class. You won't want to make alts of the same class/spec specifically to have another character with a different new ability.

  19. #339
    Quote Originally Posted by brt2pp View Post
    In short, the CLASSES seem like a headache to choose. You gotta choose one, and do the plus and minus of those:

    1: CLASS abilities you prefer in day to day (both the standard ones and the class one).
    2: CLASS abilities you prefer when raiding (or PVPing or WTV your main end-game activity is/will be).
    3: Transmogs.
    4: Lore wise which fits the most with you... That is not for everyone.
    5: Other perks, mounts, etc.
    Orrrrr you could just level alts?

  20. #340
    Bloodsail Admiral Misuteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Nexus
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Maybe people should just play the way that's most fun instead of going for the biggest numbers? I mean I'm pretty sure that's how the silent majority play?
    Okay I have a warlock in queue, he’s X item level, he has X achievements, he’s in X Covenant, what a f’ing dumb@ass.

    Next up... another warlock.....
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •