Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    What? What are you talking about?
    Probably google translate of some weird language.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Everytime i try to play i cringe up at how limiting f2p is, i mean who charges for basic ui convenience? The store is a gamblers paradise, but the story is nice ill give it that.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Everytime i try to play i cringe up at how limiting f2p is, i mean who charges for basic ui convenience? The store is a gamblers paradise, but the story is nice ill give it that.
    I dunno, I've never been F2P. For $15 to unlock all expansions and get preferred it seems kind of pointless to ever remain F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I dunno, I've never been F2P. For $15 to unlock all expansions and get preferred it seems kind of pointless to ever remain F2P.
    Agree. A one time subscription fee to get preferred and unlock all content currently available for free forevermore is an amazing deal.

I personally can't stomach playing unless I'm a sub. I enjoy it enough to make a $15 sub every once and a while totally worth it.

I've been subbed the last 2 months as I've just gotten really nostalgic with reliving the stories and my game play preferences have changed a bit so I'm playing using advanced classes I didn't use before which gives a fresh take on things.

I just wish they had a more regular content release schedule with more info about what's coming, in less vague terms than what they currently have on their website anyway.

Re-watching Rogue One last night really made me nostalgic of non-Disney Star Wars. I left SWTOR a long time ago, I might fire it up at some stage if I can stomach all the things the drove me away from it to begin with.

PS I know Rogue One is Disney, but it's only film of theirs that has the vibe and character of the films before they got the franchise
    Last edited by Fkiolaris; 2019-12-15 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Re-watching Rogue One last night really made me nostalgic of non-Disney Star Wars. I left SWTOR a long time ago, I might fire it up at some stage if I can stomach all the things the drove me away from it to begin with.

PS I know Rogue One is Disney, but it's only film of theirs that has the vibe and character of the films before they got the franchise
    What aspects of the game drove you away?

If it's the Free-2-Play stuff I honestly recommend just subbing, you absolutely get your money's worth. I don't like playing unless I'm a sub either.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

If it's the Free-2-Play stuff I honestly recommend just subbing, you absolutely get your money's worth. I don't like playing unless I'm a sub either.
    i treat the game as an online-solo-rpg. i just play the campaigns, stay away from all the multiplayer and have some fun. F2P is enough for me in that regard.

I quit the game when they tried to make me pay for the right to wear epics and the right to raid and pvp.
    I've heard the game got better since they first switched to the new business model but...I just can't bring myself to support an EA game anymore

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow - considering the game is half dead and running on a handful of half-empty servers - that's amazing.

Chock another win for microtransaction hells - cuz they ain't making that money with monthly subs on the few players left. "New" expansion content cleared in a handful of hours I guess doesn't matter - only that there are a few new dungeons for the min/maxers to grind out on for another 1-2 years until we get another 10 hours of new content?

The game is a mess; the engine is a mess - but people are hungry for Star Wars.

(And yes I played this game from launch up until 2 years ago so I do know what the game is like).
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    i treat the game as an online-solo-rpg. i just play the campaigns, stay away from all the multiplayer and have some fun. F2P is enough for me in that regard.
    F2P is enough for me too, honestly, I just can't stand all the constant reminders that I'm not a subscriber, especially whenever you walk into a rest zone and giant yellow letters are like "YOU CAN"T GET RESTED XP HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A SUBSCRIBER!"

The Cartel coins you get are useful and the extra xp you get is nice too.

If I had to play without a sub I could, but $15 isn't a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Wow - considering the game is half dead and running on a handful of half-empty servers - that's amazing.

Chock another win for microtransaction hells - cuz they ain't making that money with monthly subs on the few players left. "New" expansion content cleared in a handful of hours I guess doesn't matter - only that there are a few new dungeons for the min/maxers to grind out on for another 1-2 years until we get another 10 hours of new content?

The game is a mess; the engine is a mess - but people are hungry for Star Wars.

(And yes I played this game from launch up until 2 years ago so I do know what the game is like).
    I highly doubt they have a lot of long term subscribers, but I can almost guarantee you that the vast majority of their population subscribes at least 1-2 times a year. The new content isn't available to you unless you subscribe at least once after that content goes live. F2P players can't access it.

I agree that the engine is a mess and horribly unoptimized, but I wouldn't call the game a mess. They just don't put out actual content very often, which is a shame, but overall I think the game is pretty solid.

I'd probably go back to the game if they overhauled the interface and the game engine. It runs like it was designed in 2000. And I just can't take the fucking F2P bs that is just... jizzed all over the interface while you are trying to play. There are ways to do F2P, this is not the way.
    Since I actually bought the game, I feel that I shouldn't be shoe horned with that crap and I should just have a clean interface, a coin shop button doesn't bother me.
    I feel once they get to that level of gachi graphics, the game isn't for people who want to play a SW MMO, it's just designed for whales to keep dumping thousands into per year to keep up with their other whale friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    The game has some really great 5mans, shame they more or less removed the healer role or any role for that matter nowadays, because before that I used to rate their 5mans to be my favourties by far (WotLK/Classic/TBC being the others... yes all WoW). As a healer shooting heals to people in dungeons I never ever had that much fun in any other game. Shame that whenever I try it I am soon put off again because of the cooldown usage on every skill (=no rotation, and 100 spells that do the same thing, because you have to have a lot of spells when everything is on a 15-20s cd).

Guess this is one of those games that would've been the WoW of today had it been released in 2003 instead of vanilla WoW, because it sure is polished and massive, and has a great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i really do love swtor, i just wish they'd ease back on the outlander/commander character and let each character be a unique personality again. it's even gotten to the point now that the opposite faction's story doesn't even exist if do your faction. this is the wrong direction, i think.

like, the least they could do is add tiny little class specific things like they did in SoR. like, i really want to see what's up with my inquisitor's ghosts. did valkorian purge them? did my binding fail once i was incapacitated? it's lame to not know.
    Yeah, i totally agree with you. Doesn't feel like Star wars with the outlander story line.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Yeah, i totally agree with you. Doesn't feel like Star wars with the outlander story line.
    oh, i mean, it does feel star wars-ish. just that the personality of the outlander is annoying, and homogenizes all the other characters in that blob.

the inquisitor doesn't have the personality of the warrior, and neither have the personality of the knight or consular. the consular was an incredibly intelligent and well-read individual, and now they're stuck being as dull as the roll needs them to be.

that's not to mention the fact that 0 of the non-force using classes make any sense what-so-ever as the commander. kotfe basically writes them out of existence, because a non-force user could never compete with godlike entities like vitiate.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or the fact that none of the storylines match up anymore (because of "everyone a hero" Outlander) - Depending on what class you play and which side means various people are alive (or dead). INcluding important figures like you know...the head of the Republic/Empire... lol.

But sure, charge 100 bucks for that lightsaber skin and here comes the billion dollars apparently... :/
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

The F2P system for one (especially the restriction to content, ie warzones), the RNG-fiesta they turned gearing into at some stage after I left, having a story that makes zero sense for non-force users etc.

And I will agree with another poster here, the game is obviously made for the whales more than the active players, which is absolutely fine IMO. Unfortunately, there is no other Star Wars MMO around, while having said that, I would dread to see one made by Disney.

maybe, certainly hope so, and also hope it will never affiliate with disney in any way...

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post

Seems SWTOR is still bringing in nice money for EA, Enough that they went from their 50-60 staff to near 200 with their newest Expansion.

Perhaps EA is finally becoming willing to put more work back into it. Here is hoping.
    I'm not sure how you translate that post to meaning they're still making a lot of money. Last year they could have been at $999,999,990, and this year they could have only made $9, and the statement is accurate. And yes, that is indeed a hyperbolic example.

Why people like you fall for PR speak so easily, I'll never understand. It's blantantly obvious they're they're doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    I'm not sure how you translate that post to meaning they're still making a lot of money. Last year they could have been at $999,999,990, and this year they could have only made $9, and the statement is accurate. And yes, that is indeed a hyperbolic example.

Why people like you fall for PR speak so easily, I'll never understand. It's blantantly obvious they're they're doing it.
    I would suppose because the content support has been stepping up. Of course, it doesn't compare to the biggest mmo's, but things are definitly better now. Lots of people in game and i can only imagine they make a killing off the cartel market. Also, despite people misjudging it, this is a sub based game. Everyone that plays OP's, FP's and warzones at max level is subbed.
    Also, i'm afraid that is not PR talk, that was not to us it was to investors. I believe it is illegal to lie to them, and this is EA. Do you really think he would be saying he likes that business if it wasn't doing well? The greedy EA?!
    So, maybe your skepticism is misplaced.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-20 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    So, maybe your skepticism is misplaced.
    I promise you, it isn't. They worded it that way for very specific reasons. If they wanted to brag about how much money they're making, they'd be talking about their profits in the last year. Not that they're "approaching $1 billion since we first began!" That's pure, 100%, PR speak; aka, bullshit.