Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Avatar wasn't a particularly good or original film and was basically a sci-fi retelling of Pocahontas. It was only lauded for its heavily inflated special effects budget.

If anything I think it's at least nine years too late for James Cameron to be riding off the hype train of the first movie. It's not like with revived franchises like Toy Story or Star Wars which remain timeless classics.

I just don't see Pocahontas at all...It was a big "What if" statement to me.
    I will look forward to this Avatar movie (Underwater? Should be very interesting)
    I like the latest installment to Terminator...even if others didn't. At this point regarding that particular franchise, I think so-called "fans" can be comfortably lumped in with Star Trek "fans. In that they don't know what the hell they want...

I enjoyed Avatar.
    I enjoyed Endgame.
    Assuming he's right about the math projections, no reason to hate him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    the first Avatar was cool, i liked it, but it's not something i went nuts over. did other people? or was it because it was so high budget and like the first modern 3d movie that made it so popular?
    Was Endgame so cool either. Or just disney fan service?

I wasn't a fan of Pocahontas in Space, it was silly watching some guy throw his life away and betray his entire species and civilization just for some alien tail.

Also, why didn't they just drill at an angle to get the...ugh...unobtainium? They could have left the tree untouched and not riled up the locals.

And...didn't the Naavi basically fuck animals in order to ride them? Because those tendrils were used both when mating and to link themselves to the animals they rode.

I read in an interview Cameron said Avatar was a story idea he started on when he was a teenager, and it shows.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Pretty much everything that was CGI-heavy that came out in 2009 was of equal if not better quality based on pure CGI and its integration into the film, as was true for the few preceding years. It did nothing for that, just 3D filming.

Again: It's not a major benchmark in CGI, and certainly not the idiotic "there was a time before Avatar and a time after!" that someone else in this thread made.
    Your hate for the movie is overshadowing your logic and common sense. The comment of there was a time before Avatar is a stretch for sure. BUT as far as pure CGI goes, where pretty much everything in the shot is CGI, it is so smooth and nearly flawless. Nothing hit that mark in 2009. Then when you throw in the motion capture and cgi of humanoid expressions and faces, nothing passes it. Almost every time a scene is saturated with tons of CGI you can always tell, especially if there are humanoids involved. Not in this. It was and still is a technological marvel, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Holy shit, this post is a treasure trove of the art of shilling. One can't even criticize a movie a bit like @Puupi did, just one aspect of it even, despite them absolutely loving that movie without you acting as if they insulted your great ancestors and going on a rant that's all over the place. Apparently one can only love films completely uncritically without it being sinful and undeserving of scorn.

Sorry to break it to you, but simply swapping out the setting doesn't make the story as a whole new new if everything else from theme through character arcs to core moments being a rehash of an existing story.

And what the hell does the money aspect have to do with anything here? Did The Force Awakens earn all that money because of its story? Hell no. The story being a nostalgia-driven cash grab has been one of the main points of the criticism that movie got. So what if it earned that money because it's, you know, Star Wars?

Also, what's with all that projectile straw-men in your post? When did @Puupi say they find Aladdin and Jungle Book remakes being OK? Let alone them being OK because it's Disney remaking their own movies?

Speaking of which, if your argument for why Avatar's story isn't unoriginal is "look at these here remakes", then sorry to break it to you again, but you don't actually have one. Just because there exist movies that redo the same exact story doesn't mean everything else automatically becomes original by default. So let's throw false dichotomy to the list of your fallacies. Because this isn't something that's as binary as you want to pretend. Avatar can still be unoriginal despite remakes being even more so.

And how did you learn about Lion King rehashing the story of Kimba the White Lion if nobody cared about it? Oh, right, because people did care about it and pointed that out as a result. Despite the movie being Asian and receiving very little coverage in the west. While a situation where two western movies share the same story is going to get much more awareness there for reasons that should have been obvious to everyone.

But you left the best for last. That last sentence is the cherry on top of your shill-cake. Gee, I wonder why it's Avatar that @Puupi wanted to "stick it to" in regards of unoriginal stories? Could it have something to do with, I dunno, Avatar being the topic of this particular thread? Unlike all the other movies you used to deflect? Context, how does it work...

I just love your posts. Always going on how people are contrarian and whatnot because they dare to dislike something that's being popular only for you to act contrarian in the scope of the given thread and defend the shit out of the thing being criticized just for the sake of it.

Even when it results in a thread like this, where you're defending Avatar because it's being criticized, but then you realize Endgame is criticized in a comparison to Avatar too so it's time to defend Endgame instead by throwing Avatar under the bus. Hey, maybe people won't notice it!

And to get ahead of your predictably boring reply, I don't mind either movie (despite finding both to be flawed in certain ways, especially in regards to their stories).

You judged it by its own merits so much that it being a climax to MCU so far is the reason you had to use as a gotcha against Avatar.

Obviously that doesn't apply to you, vide your numerous posts and signatures mocking people for thinking that BfA is inferior even to WoD (among many other examples) and using them as examples of how people daring to criticize BfA (and WoW as a whole) are unreasonable, that nothing would ever satisfy and so on. Because WoD is totally objectively worse than BfA and you know it. Because unlike other people who only fool themselves into thinking to be factual beings you totally are.

Also, I checked why @Highelf got banned out of curiosity and it led me to this pearl by accident:

It's just beautiful in context of both of your posts above. And the one below as well!

Queen of Hamsters in reply to @Ihavewaffles: People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium.

Queen of Hamsters in reply to @Doctor Funkenstein: Facts are facts whether you like them or not. When the "facts in question" is her earlier statement that "There's a before Avatar, and after Avatar, in terms of CGI." as if there was some authority body on the issue that decreed it to be so.

Then again I already pointed out how you don't apply the former statement to yourself.

Which is particularly weird given how Endgame went as far as making Thanos. As illogical his plan in Infinity War was, Endgame reduced him to a bland I WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING villain.
    queen of hamsters is just closeted away with her own version of the world and those that don't line up, derail the thread. Even though they're doing the exact same thing she is. It's Gen Z deflection mentality 101. Your ignorance to this and support of this is beautiful and tells me everything I need to know about you too.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Your hate for the movie is overshadowing your logic and common sense. The comment of there was a time before Avatar is a stretch for sure. BUT as far as pure CGI goes, where pretty much everything in the shot is CGI, it is so smooth and nearly flawless. Nothing hit that mark in 2009. Then when you throw in the motion capture and cgi of humanoid expressions and faces, nothing passes it. Almost every time a scene is saturated with tons of CGI you can always tell, especially if there are humanoids involved. Not in this. It was and still is a technological marvel, period.
    No, you most definitely have it backwards. You're the one who isn't seeing reality due to your obsessive love for the movie.

1.) It was not a quantum leap forward in CGI. It did 3D better than other movies at the time, mostly because no one was even bothering with it because even Hollywood knows it's a fucking fad (and hence why there STILL aren't very many movies made with it in mind), but that's literally -it-.

2.) There were plenty of movies with equal quality of CGI before and during the movie. Just off the top of my head there was Transformers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Minority Report, Pirates of the Caribbean (most notably Dead Man's Chest), The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Pan's Labyrinth, Distract 9, and War of the Worlds. They all had top notch CGI.

3.) LOL at saying you couldn't tell it was CGI in Avatar. The Navi were cartoony and cringy as fuck wallowing in the Uncanny Valley, as were a lot of the wildlife in the movie.

So yeah, you're the only one here with rose-tinted glasses on, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonDruid View Post
    Was Endgame so cool either. Or just disney fan service?
    Endgame was incredibly boring, the only good moment was when the end of the battle drew near and it was over.

Infinity war > Endgame in terms of suspense and story.

10+ Year Old Account
    lololololol he thinks a fucking rerelease of an 11 year old movie with a shitty plot about "muh deep and thought provoking plot" is gonna top a marvel movie.

Probably not what he's actually thinking.
    Stirring the pot for interest however...looks like a big win to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion View Post
    James Cameron predicts 'Avatar' will ultimately top 'Avengers: Endgame': 'I think it's a certainty'

Cameron believes "Avatar," which celebrates its anniversary Wednesday, will be restored to its place atop the box-office mountain over "Endgame" through an inevitable rerelease, part of a larger plan to rekindle global audience love before the movie's first sequel, planned for release Dec. 17, 2021.

"I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

when he says things like this, this makes me not want to go see avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or whatever many sequels he's filming, just out of spite.
    Oh James.

No, it's not going to.

Can someone explain the appeal of Avatar to me? I couldn't sit through the whole thing, it was boring. I'm not saying Avengers is any better (it's garbage cinema) but I've just never got why Avatar was held in such high regard at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Can someone explain the appeal of Avatar to me? I couldn't sit through the whole thing, it was boring. I'm not saying Avengers is any better (it's garbage cinema) but I've just never got why Avatar was held in such high regard at the time
    Kinda help peaked the Earth Day Going Green deal...people wanted to believe in a new fresh clean world...somewhere.

This review probably says it; A New Eden, Both Cosmic and Cinematic

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    No, you most definitely have it backwards. You're the one who isn't seeing reality due to your obsessive love for the movie.

1.) It was not a quantum leap forward in CGI. It did 3D better than other movies at the time, mostly because no one was even bothering with it because even Hollywood knows it's a fucking fad (and hence why there STILL aren't very many movies made with it in mind), but that's literally -it-.

2.) There were plenty of movies with equal quality of CGI before and during the movie. Just off the top of my head there was Transformers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Minority Report, Pirates of the Caribbean (most notably Dead Man's Chest), The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Pan's Labyrinth, Distract 9, and War of the Worlds. They all had top notch CGI.

3.) LOL at saying you couldn't tell it was CGI in Avatar. The Navi were cartoony and cringy as fuck wallowing in the Uncanny Valley, as were a lot of the wildlife in the movie.

So yeah, you're the only one here with rose-tinted glasses on, kid.
    Wow, I must've hit a nerve. You do realize that calling people kid doesn't do anything anymore right? Not since, what, 2005 maybe? All it means is that you somehow, in some way got triggered by what I put because it doesn't agree with you, thus you lower yourself to typing LOL and kid, text book Gen Z deflection. Again, if you reread my post again(or if you did at all in the first place) I stated that it was not some, as you say, "quantum leap forward".

It DID have amazing CGI and effects and it WAS a leap forward in the technical aspect of movies. Just because you hate the movie doesn't mean you have to discredit everything about it. I can't stand LeBron James but to deny his basketball ability would be extremely ignorant.

They all had top notch CGI but not quite at the level and scale of Avatar because it was so immense and all the humanoin expressions along with everything else behind it. Re read my post.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Endgame may not have the best story but Avatar was just Pocahontas in blue so its story will always be worse then anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

It was more like "What if Native America beat back the 'white plague?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    It DID have amazing CGI and effects and it WAS a leap forward in the technical aspect of movies.
    Yes to the former, a resounding NO to the latter outside of its 3D aspects. You're just flat-out wrong.

Just because you hate the movie doesn't mean you have to discredit everything about it.
    I'm not. I'm just not giving it UNDUE credit for something it DIDN'T FUCKING DO, kid.

It's easy to look at it now and criticize it, but you have to put yourself in the shoes of an American in 2009. There was nothing like it at the time.

It's like trying to explain how Star Wars looked mindblowing back in 1977, when today we take for granted the SFX it pioneered and the aesthetic it created. It's like trying to explain how Final Fantasy VII "mindblowing" was way back in 1997, when it was far and away the most "realistic" looking video game you could get on console and defined the genre conventions of the modern JRPG. If you weren't there when it came out, then it's hard to convey just how unique Avatar was, when everything it pioneered we take for granted today.

Back then, in 2009, you didn't see Hollywood pumping out two dozen different CGIfests every year like they do now. The last "epic" fantasy movie you probably remembered would have been 2003's Return of the King and 2005's Revenge of the Sith. The only other big fantasy/sci fi film was... the Star Trek reboot. Avatar was far more impressive, because nearly the entire movie was fantasy. You were looking at these "realistic", tangible alien characters. You have this fantastic world of floating mountains hovering above the mists. You had this wide array of fantastic flora and fauna which captivated your imagination. There was the exhilaration of flying dragons through the clouds, before How to Train Your Dragon had even come out. Don't forget James Horner's (Rest in peace) unforgettable score. The story is also really interesting, namely the first two hours. Sure, the characters are fouled mouthed are not especially memorable. Sure, the plot goes off of the rails in the last hour and descends into mediocrity, but even it still remains a visual and musical feast. There is just so much that made it stand out. Today, I still find that world interesting, and I've always been interested in seeing another film that explored more of it.

Also keep in mind, that it released in America during 2009, during the midst of the biggest recession the country had seen since the Great Depression and when the war in the middle-east was at its most prevalent in the public consciousness. Avatar provided quality escapist entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

The GIFs don't do this film the justice it deserves.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-01-21 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The GIFs don't do this film the justice it deserves.
    I agree.

Amazing how many claim to hate the movie; when so many loved it when it was out

I'm certain if I had access to the original thread we'd see even more love.