Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best headphones for gaming?

Hey all,

I've started playing WoW classic again recently, what headphones would you guys recommend?

I'm currently using Meze 99 classics with the iFi Zen DAC which sound pretty good, but just wondering what your preference is.

Happy new year!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty happy with Sennheiser's audio signature, so I use them for pretty much everything. Currently on HD 598's but the padding broke after ~5 years or something, so am upgrading to HD660S's

Sennheiser HD660s, BLON B20 and Fostex THX00's at a whim really. My 660s have been my daily driver for quite some time and now the BLONs are pushing past them for me.. But I haven't done much gaming on the BLONs just yet.

To drive them I use SMSL SP200 and SU-8 combo.

Best for gaming though.. I don't really know if I can pick one. It all depends on one's preferences. Maybe the 660s after I changed the headband foam to ZMF Pilot pad. And it was the best decision I've ever made. Made the rather meh headband that I couldn't use for more than 3-4 hours at a time to something I've used in 24+ hour marathons and I haven't had any of the problems I had with the original padding.

Something from Beyerdynamic. I'm using DT770 Pro, 80 Ohm. Can really recommend it and the company in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends if you need a mic or not.

Massdrop's Sennheiser HD6XXs are a pretty good deal if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormvind View Post
    I'm using logitech g933. I'm so used to wireless now that I'll never be able to use wired again.

Same here, bit the bullet with Logitech G933 and I am no longer ever going back to Wired headsets.

I really like my Arctis 7 headset. Agree that wireless is the way to go.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

15+ Year Old Account
    Once I bought my first headphones from a hifi brand, not going to buy "gaming brands" anymore. So it's a safe bet to buy something from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audiotechnica etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my Bose QC35's, they're super comfortable even during 10 hour + sessions!

I use a hyper x cloud alpha, theyre pretty sturdy and i love the quality.

IMHO go for open-back shape.
    I went for a closed-back and it gets annoyingly uncomfortable on my ears and some BOOM sounds are a bit too much (overwhelm other sounds).

Do you guys have any recommendations for a wireless headphone that doesn't make your ears sweat to much. I've tried closed back ones but they turn my ears into lakes after a few hours.

For a HeadSET I've been using the same Astro A50 (Wireless) that I bought way back in 2014 -- cost me €300 back then, frequently see it on sale for half that, and it's easily one of the best pieces I've used that still works perfectly fine today. Due to age the battery life has gone down, naturally... would last be 3 hours tops now, where prior it would last 9+ hours.

I am sure there's better [strictly] Headphones out there if a mic doesn't matter to you.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-02 at 08:47 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    What exactly qualifies a Headphone as one that's specifically good for gaming?
    I personally would avoid headphones from gaming brands, always go for hifi or studio brands.

I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD600, it's open-back and it doesn't make my ears sweat. This model is on the market for quite some time now, but it still is considered as one of the best around the $300 price tag. You can also find a lot of original replacement parts for this model, if something gets damaged or worn. You can google reviews for this model.

If I wanted to buy new headphones today, I would probably go for the Focal Clear. Looks great to me, reviews are also great, but it's in the $1500 price range.
    https://www.focal.com/us/headphones/for-home/clear

Go with a specific gaming headsets like from ASUS ROG or Razer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcaorel View Post
    Go with a specific gaming headsets like from ASUS ROG or Razer.
    Noooo. Don't do that.
    1: OP asked for headPHONES, not headSETS
    2: The sound quality is fucking garbage compared to good headphones
    3: The mic quality is bad compared to even cheap standalone mics. Hell, the mod-mic is better, and the mod-mic is shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Using Sennheiser DJ8 for several years now, which alone speaks for itself. All the "gaming" crap I bought beforehand died within 1 year due to various mechanical failures (broken hinges, shitty padding, cable issue etc wtc).

These, however? Metal build, replaceable cable and earpads (with extras included in package) - so far for several years I am using them I only replaced earpads and it has metal coating material off in some places, but other than that they sound perfect and work perfect.

They are a bit expensive, but worth it, because I'd pay double that price replacing all the "gaming" Chinese plastic crap shoved for exorbitant prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

Did I say, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO? Stay away from "gaming" anything labelled gaming is shit. Only thing you want gaming is PC components (GPUs) and keyboards/mice. Leave audio to non-gaming companies since they know how to do it better.
    -K

Most of the people I play with use HyperX Cloud II, myself included.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
    beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

Did I say, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO? Stay away from "gaming" anything labelled gaming is shit. Only thing you want gaming is PC components (GPUs) and keyboards/mice. Leave audio to non-gaming companies since they know how to do it better.
    I can't speak for that specific headphone or the brand, but do consider open/closed construction if you have background noise in the room. Open back from my experience produces a more...naturalistic sound. My current set is the Audiotechnica AD700.

There is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro that is a similar price to the 770. The 990 is open, 770 is closed.

Ultimately I will chime in to the same opinion to stay away from "gaming" headphones. Get an amazing sounding set of cans with a decent amp. Want a mic? You could slap this on most headphones.
    Last edited by kail; 2020-01-05 at 10:27 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.