Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Can Disney's Star Wars Franchise succeed?

3 Series (with more on the way), 5 films, including the end of the trilogy and the reaction over all to new Star Wars is mediocre at best.

Do you think they can pull it back and restore it? What would it take? A new time jump, or timeline or new vein of Star wars? Should they keep it stuck in the 9 series main films - meaning for going any further in this galaxy.

What would you do? What would cause you to be fanatical about Star Wars again or good enough to turn the corner?

3+ Year Old Account
    Make movies that are exciting. I don't care for a group of 200 rebels.

Give me the Courusant underworld. Give me more of the Prequel Jedi stuff. Give me stuff that isn't just people on a fucking sand planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post

Give me the Courusant underworld. Give me more of the Prequel Jedi stuff. Give me stuff that isn't just people on a fucking sand planet.
    I guess they're justs cheap, , there is so much of sand planet or swamp planet i can take.. space is a vast enough waste land, but it at leas t is full of dimand lights, and has planets that have the potential to have anything on them - but it seems Sand and swamp or pretty much it

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    People tend to like rebels the mandlorian fallen order and the comic front has been going pretty well. The only real stinkers have been the movies and the stuff around them like resistance and even those have a lot of fans.

Over all I’d say there all ready succeeding they just keep to pull the movies up to the same level of quality as all the other stuff.

They never should have piggybacked off of the success of the original 6 movies and milked it for nostalgia points. The new trilogy is dogshit meant to rake in money. What's worse yet is twitter users eat it all up like the mindless zombies they are.

What I'm hoping Disney does now seeing as they possibly have learned from The Mandalorian is to do their own thing and expand upon stuff. Not "continue" stories that were already finished, but to simply expand upon something and add more depth.

Or to even just do as you suggested. Start entirely new in a different timeline. Do their own thing. Not attempt to "finish" the work of an already finished project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it can succeed, it already is succeeding. Even TRoS is well on its way to a billion dollars, so it is already a quantifiable success regardless of what anyone thinks of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    3 Series (with more on the way), 5 films, including the end of the trilogy and the reaction over all to new Star Wars is mediocre at best.

Do you think they can pull it back and restore it? What would it take? A new time jump, or timeline or new vein of Star wars? Should they keep it stuck in the 9 series main films - meaning for going any further in this galaxy.

What would you do? What would cause you to be fanatical about Star Wars again or good enough to turn the corner?
    Fanatism is precisely what is destroying most franchises these days. People love so much a franchise that they cannot like anything new added to it.

Disney is doing well enough. The trilogy were not masterpieces, but they were not bad movies. We could say the same about the prequels and even the original trilogy. Rogue One was great. Solo suffered the backlash of The Last Jedi, but I found it entertaining. Rebel was a great cartoon, in my opinion. Resistance is not over yet, so I reserve my judgement. Its main problem will probably be that it didn't last long enough to mature up with its auditory. The Mandalorian is a success that will drive Disney+ with it. The videogames, like Fallen Order, seem to work well. I can't tell much about the books and comics, but it looks good in that direction too. All Disney did was not perfect of course, but it's not the catastrophe some people make it to be.

If I were Disney, I would do something with The Old Republic setting. There is much material to exploit there. And what about another Solo or Lando movie? Show us more of the SW underworld: the Hutt Cartel, Black Sun, the Pyke Syndicate, bounty hunters and all that. I also would like a jump of 100, 1000 years in the future. Without any Empire or even a Republic.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I think so and while the sequel trilogy wasn’t great and at times bad it was a financial success. Rogue one was good and solo was good but suffered from last Jedi fallout. The Mandalorian has been very good so far. I think Disney might be moving in a better direction for star wars going forward. We will have to see how it pans out but the announced and rumored projects on the table for star wars seem to be looking very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Fanatism is precisely what is destroying most franchises these days. People love so much a franchise that they cannot like anything new added to it.

Disney is doing well enough. The trilogy were not masterpieces, but they were not bad movies. We could say the same about the prequels and even the original trilogy. Rogue One was great. Solo suffered the backlash of The Last Jedi, but I found it entertaining. Rebel was a great cartoon, in my opinion. Resistance is not over yet, so I reserve my judgement. Its main problem will probably be that it didn't last long enough to mature up with its auditory. The Mandalorian is a success that will drive Disney+ with it. The videogames, like Fallen Order, seem to work well. I can't tell much about the books and comics, but it looks good in that direction too. All Disney did was not perfect of course, but it's not the catastrophe some people make it to be.

If I were Disney, I would do something with The Old Republic setting. There is much material to exploit there. And what about another Solo or Lando movie? Show us more of the SW underworld: the Hutt Cartel, Black Sun, the Pyke Syndicate, bounty hunters and all that. I also would like a jump of 100, 1000 years in the future. Without any Empire or even a Republic.
    Oh.. a 1000 years in the future... and tie it back to some shocking things revealed in an Old Republic set of movies.. . now that could be exciting.

I really like the old republic more than i like the Episodes 4-9. I liked the prquels the most of the original 9, of the animated the 2003 Clone Wars CN and the 6 series animated were the best. So far.

I'm not crazy of the Mandalarion, I definiteliy don't ffel I have to watch it after each episode, and won't be getting Disney+ just because of it and old Star Wars material.

It will have to be new.

Given the amount of money that they make, they are already succeeding.

Can they please the so-called critics and old time fanatics? Probably not, no matter what they do, they will still claim the old ones were better ... pretty much the same as with WoW.

I went to the movie expecting it to suck ass based on reviews and whatnot and guess what, I actually enjoyed it. Sure it has it's flaws but show me a movie that doesn't.

Now what I'd like to see in the future is a sith oriented movie. A Plagueis/Palpatine/Maul thing would be amazing, but no .. gotta keep it about the Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    New isn't really how I'd phrase it. new stuff made with all the newest features of modern technology, new stories being told, etc. People don't mind that kind of stuff. People mind retconning, altering, or evolving of things previously thought to be understood. People don't like bastardizing of things they previously loved without a WHOLE lot of explanation (i.e. daenerys targaryen going bat shit crazy for no good reason).

No one cares if Ford updates the mustang to be better than the previous gen mustang using all the newest tech to enhance the most notable elements it has (rwd, coupe, big v8). No one cares if Ford creates a new car that is completely separate from the mustang. Every mustang fan from here to honolulu will bitch and moan the instant Ford decides to make some dumb ass performance SUV and call it a mustang. Everyone would cry tears if they made the mustang front wheel drive. Everyone would attack ford on social media if they made the car with no v8 option.

10+ Year Old Account

Being one of those that stood in the lines on Memorial weekend 1977 (end of 4th grade) to see the first Star Wars, I am of the opinion that the 'franchise' long ago jumped the shark, and that the current offerings are simply trading on the past foundation of what Star Wars was to line their pockets with cash from the folks wanting to relive that feeling.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

3+ Year Old Account

Well depends what you mean by successful and it depends how much you let the loud minority brainwash you. Star Wars is still selling A FUCKING LOT. By any unbiased definition it's still a very successful franchise. It doesn't have the hype it used to have and if that's your line between success and failure then I'd suggest you learn what success means. It's still big, still profitable, still no reason to stop making Star Wars product of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Well depends what you mean by successful and it depends how much you let the loud minority brainwash you. Star Wars is still selling A FUCKING LOT. By any unbiased definition it's still a very successful franchise. It doesn't have the hype it used to have and if that's your line between success and failure then I'd suggest you learn what success means. It's still big, still profitable, still no reason to stop making Star Wars product of any kind.
    Where do you think they'll go next then?

And no, that's not my line of success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars has always been mediocre at best. I remember being a kid in the 90s and not really understanding why people held it in such high regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they just need to tell a good, full, unique story. Good characters, interesting plot payoffs. The Mandalorian has given us that.

If you look at the sequels, they function a lot like Avengers movies. Problem is, there's not backstory to flesh out the plot holes.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    In fairness, most of their live action remakes have been panned critically as well.

However, in both cases (Star Wars and Live Action Remakes), Disney has been making bank. So is it really an issue?

A number of people think The Last Jedi was the worst (I think it was pretty good), but the reality is that Disney made 9 figures of profit off of it. A number of people think The Return of Skywalker was the worst (I am one of those), but the reality is that Disney will almost certainly make 9 figures of profit off of it. The same is true of nearly all of the live action remakes (one or two may have only made them 8 figures of profit). And none of that includes the profits off merchandise sales (usually another 8 or 9 figures of profits).

So ultimately, Disney is doing the right thing. They are in the business of making money. The fact that you want something better doesn't, ultimately, matter. If you continue to give them money, that is the sole indication that they are doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Star Wars has always been mediocre at best. I remember being a kid in the 90s and not really understanding why people held it in such high regard.
    Same, I still liked it, but not THAT much. Also couldn't understand people surprised if someone didn't know Star Wars (that has nothing to do with liking it seeing how well known it is now)

Quote Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post

Thank you. Star Wars lore is so expansive, and they keep telling the same stories. I love Darth Vader and Yoda, but move on, there is so much more before that can be explored.

3+ Year Old Account
    Where do you think they'll go next then?

And no, that's not my line of success.
    I don't know what kind of next, they're already everywhere with movies, series, toys, legos, cereal boxes and shit.
    Or do you mean what part of the universe they could use next? They can literally make stuff up, link it with something else for relatability and step into any direction that way. I doubt they'll make other trilogies, at least not for a good 10 years, let the current crap get filtered out by people ability to forget terrible things and hopefully come back with something good.

I just finished the Mandalorian a few days ago, pretty enjoyable I would say, I think this has a lot of potential, some episodes were a bit too episodic for my taste by in today's world of series everybody does that, not much commitment in the first season in case it doesn't get a second season. They did get the go for a season 2 so I'm expecting more from it, but there's definitely something there.

The last movie was overall pretty lame, like episode 8, there's tiny glimpse of something great hidden under tons and tons of crap, the ending was maximum shit though, really killed the movie for me. Episode 7 was the best of the trilogy, and even then, Rogue One was better IMO. And I didn't even see the Han Solo stand alone, I will someday, but that's pretty much the amount of hype I have towards the franchise these days.

I think the Obiwan Kenobi series or film is still underway? I will admit I am quite interested in that one, it could be pretty cool. There's still a lot of good stuff to make with the franchise, they just need the right people to do it correctly I guess, and changing people is easier than changing a franchise. So I don't see this as a lost cause at all, it could turn around easily, but maybe it won't. I'm not holding my breath either, I'm just treating this like any other entertainment product, I'll check it out and either enjoy it or hate it and in either cases it's no big deal cuz there's always something else around the corner.