10+ Year Old Account
    1st day since the 3rd of august without any new deaths reported due to Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And now EU sues AstraZeneca for vaccine shortages (not totally unexpected):
    https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...ine-shortages/
    My mother just got the AZ shot today.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't hoping this happen so fast, 1 bilion people already vaccinated worldwide, 6 bilion to go.

https://multinews.sapo.pt/sapo-covid...administradas/
    Google translated.
    Covid-19: World has already exceeded the goal of 1 billion vaccines administered

The world has already crossed the billions of doses of vaccines administered against covid-19, in a total of 172 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. On average, 19.2 million doses are being applied per day, the first increase of this value in two weeks.

In the United States, 229 million doses have been applied so far. In the last week, an average of 2.75 million doses were taken per day, a considerable drop from 3.02 million applied last week. The American nation has already vaccinated 28.5% of the population.

China is second in the general table, due to its population density, with 220.30 million doses administered. At this time, there are no updated data on the percentage of the vaccinated population.

The European Union is third in the table, having already administered a total of 130,019,567 doses, with only 7.6% of its vaccinated population, a slight increase of 0.5% compared to last week.

In the United Kingdom, 46,523,754 million people have already received at least the first dose and have 18.8% of its population vaccinated, being the fourth ranked worldwide.

In the ranking of the information agency, Portugal occupies the 30th place, just behind the Netherlands and followed by Greece, with a total of 2,900,151 doses administered, having already injected the first dose to 21.5% of the population and counting with 8% vaccinated, an increase of 1.2% compared to last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    1st day since the 3rd of august without any new deaths reported due to Covid-19.

My mother just got the AZ shot today.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't hoping this happen so fast, 1 bilion people already vaccinated worldwide, 6 bilion to go.

https://multinews.sapo.pt/sapo-covid...administradas/
    Google translated.
    I think the US will run into the situation where supply exceeds vaccine demand soon.

In CA, some Northern California counties struggle to fill COVID-19 vaccine slots. Yolo, Stanislaus, El Dorado and Placer are seeing shard decline in demand.

In Yolo County, the county will probably need to go out to the fields to vaccinate the farm workers which make up a large percentage of the county population. It is probably true of the other Northern California counties also. The combination of lack of access to the internet to make appointment and inability to take a day off inhibit the vaccination of the farm workers in those counties. The J&J vaccine will be ideal to vaccinate the highly mobile migrant farm worker population.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And now EU sues AstraZeneca for vaccine shortages (not totally unexpected):
    https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...ine-shortages/
    This is getting tiresome, the UK ordered the vaccine a full 3 months before the EU, so talking about the UK getting preferential treatment is BS, the EU is just trying to pass the blame for their piss poor response at getting the bloc immunised IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    This is getting tiresome, the UK ordered the vaccine a full 3 months before the EU, so talking about the UK getting preferential treatment is BS, the EU is just trying to pass the blame for their piss poor response at getting the bloc immunised IMO.
    Politicians need somebody to blame for their ineptitude. Just like the "not me" trope of Family Circus cartoon. It will be refreshing to see a politician actually says "Yep. My fault. I take full responsibility."

On the other hand, it does not change the reality that AZ absolutely failed with delivery numbers. Though so did everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

One can also say that the 3 months statement is AstraZeneca trying to shift the blame, when they as newcomers in vaccine production make mistakes.
    Basically they signed up for this hoping to be the saviors from the pandemic.

AstraZeneca signed the deal with the EU, and at that point there was nothing about the uk getting preferential treatment; and as I understand the EU-contract even included facilities in the uk for manufacturing - which clearly hasn't been possible.

If you get a contractor to paint redo the kitchen and they promise and fail to deliver, the contractor isn't let off the hook if they at that point say that they are working on another house that signed another contract three months earlier. That's certainly not the "best effort" by the contractor.

And technically the 3 months is debatable; the EU signed the contract August 27th, one day before the uk - but the uk signed a pre-contract earlier.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/the-...eca-contracts/

But the larger underlying issue is that there are two conflicting explanations for the problems: one is that it's just teething problem that happened to occur in the EU-factories (it's a new complicated process scaled up quickly) and another that the uk got preferential treatment due to their contract. Either is possible, but it's odd when both are presented.

The EU were also unexperienced in signing such contracts (as noted in the link above), and could certainly be tougher; so the EU blocking exports and sues may be signs that the EU is getting tougher based on the experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    On the other hand, it does not change the reality that AZ absolutely failed with delivery numbers. Though so did everyone else.
    Pfizer/BioNTech haven't really failed. They delayed some doses to increase the capacity and have then substantially increased it.

However, a minor part of that increase is dodgy - originally each vial was supposed to contain 5 doses, but then some found out that you could get 6 doses from them (with special syringes - sometimes even 7); and magically Pfizer claimed that they had increase dose-delivery by 20%!

As far as I understand Moderna have promised and delivered little - although there have been some minor delays.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2021-04-26 at 06:22 PM.

US to share AstraZeneca shots with world after safety check

The U.S. will begin sharing its entire stock of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines with the world once it clears federal safety reviews, the White House said Monday, with as many as 60 million doses expected to be available for export in the coming months.

The move greatly expands on the Biden administration's action last month to share about 4 million doses of the vaccine with Mexico and Canada.

I think the 32 million doses that they already have in stock will go to India. Just because it is so bad there.

I am totally Nano-botted out.

THANK YOU LORD GATES for your wonderful service, in your name we pray!!!

Hail gates!!

2nd shot today, hopefully it goes better than the first.
    I am tanking up on a nice turkey club with cheese fries to help my body adjust
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    hows swedens eugenics experiment going? absolute basketcase looking from the outside in.
    You had a point other than me or some other poster writing "How come talibans control 90% of the lottery plays in the world?"
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/u...y-vaccine.html

A private school in the fashionable Design District of Miami sent its faculty and staff a letter last week about getting vaccinated against Covid-19. But unlike institutions that have encouraged and even facilitated vaccination for teachers, the school, Centner Academy, did the opposite: One of its co-founders, Leila Centner, informed employees “with a very heavy heart” that if they chose to get a shot, they would have to stay away from students.

In an example of how misinformation threatens the nation’s effort to vaccinate enough Americans to get the coronavirus under control, Ms. Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)
    More on why the US will likely continue to struggle to stamp out the pandemic. Much more in the story, but holy shit this is the exact kind of empty headed, dead brained nonsense from people who can't generate enough energy to activate more than a single brain cell at once.

If it weren't for their autonomic nervous systems I genuinely think many of these people would die of oxygen deprivation.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://apnews.com/article/health-ka...a35b80bbcf5b04

Good luck, Kansas. Not sure why so many people there are refusing to get the vaccine (well I do, but they're stupid as fuck), but I guess upwards of 60 counties still have supply and aren't in need of additional, expected shipments.

This is why this country is going to continue to struggle to effectively battle and "beat" the pandemic. Too many knuckledragging mouthbreathers fucking it up for the rest of us.
    And, as usual when it comes to topics like this involving stupid as fuck people trying to outwit their best interests, we have Trump to thank for championing their cause.

Things just keep getting worse in India - the daily numbers keep growing. Latest is over 350K positive cases and it is far from over. They are not expecting the current wave to peak until mid May with expected new cases to be between 500 and 750,000 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/u...y-vaccine.html

More on why the US will likely continue to struggle to stamp out the pandemic. Much more in the story, but holy shit this is the exact kind of empty headed, dead brained nonsense from people who can't generate enough energy to activate more than a single brain cell at once.

If it weren't for their autonomic nervous systems I genuinely think many of these people would die of oxygen deprivation.
    Those are the kind of people we trusted to teach our children?

The US is doomed. We might as well sign a letter of unconditional surrender to China.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-04-27 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Those are the kind of people we trusted to teach our children?

The US is doomed. We might as well sign a letter of unconditional surrender to China.
    Hillary was right, they're deplorable.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    I am totally Nano-botted out.
    Drynano, bionano, or synano?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Was not under the impression, that if someone else orders before you, the company is entitled to deliver far less than what they agreed to. Surely AZ was aware of the Uk order 3 months prior, before making the deal with the EU.

In other news it seems that Boris Johnson would rather see the brits die in the gutter, before a new lockdown.

Pressure mounts on Johnson over alleged ‘let the bodies pile high’ remarks
    Last edited by Crispin; 2021-04-27 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Things just keep getting worse in India - the daily numbers keep growing. Latest is over 350K positive cases and it is far from over. They are not expecting the current wave to peak until mid May with expected new cases to be between 500 and 750,000 a day.
    And as previously indicated the situation is grimmer than those numbers suggest.

They have 350k reported daily cases with a positivity rate of 20%; last summer when India peaked they had less than 100k reported cases and the positivity rate never climbed above 13% (being below 5%-10% is desirable). A survey in India in August, when they had in total a fifth of current total, estimated that 7% of the population had been infected and for each reported case there were about 30 more - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33515512/ and with current positivity rate it's hard to see that the ratio has decreased.

If the ratio is the same now India isn't seeing a 300k cases per day, but about 10 million new cases per day. The daily death toll of 2k (sharply rising) is also likely an underestimate.

10+ Year Old Account
    India is 1 billion pop country, heck 1 billion and a half - the challenges there are on completely different level, even before the socio-economic. political and infrastructure issues.

I'm not even sure there is enough supply in the world right now to reach any sort of decent % of fully vaccinated people, even assuming authorities there would manage the vaccination campaign proper in everything but big cities.

They legit need to use everything available, Sinovac, Sputnik - whatever. That's the only way.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-04-27 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)"

Who makes this shit up? And how outright stupid do you have to be to actually immediately believe this sort of thing? I know people meme US education, but.... Jeeeeesus Christ on a cross.
    The only way a non-vaccinated woman is having her menstrual cycle changed through contact with a vaccinated person is if that vaccinated person is a man and the "contact" was intercourse and the non-vaccinated woman got pregnant.

And at that point, blaming it on the vaccines is like claiming your pregnancy is a virgin birth.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)"

Who makes this shit up? And how outright stupid do you have to be to actually immediately believe this sort of thing? I know people meme US education, but.... Jeeeeesus Christ on a cross.
    We actually had someone here in Latvia go public with exactly similar claim - that vaccinated people are somehow impacting non-vaccinated people. Of course, she could never explain as to HOW, exactly.
    At least comments were funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.