10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    When the President of the US is playing down the official mortality rate (3.6%) and saying it's still sub 1% (which is still 10x worse than Flu mind), then this is what happens...
    also a lot of them are saying the 3.7% is a lie and it's 1% and that the incubation period of 27 days is really just 14 days. basically implying the who is lying.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    I mean different kind of checkout: you enter store, you get a scanner, then go around shopping and instantly scanning everything you get. Then at checkout all you have to do is pay with a card. Then there are no queues.
    Oh, no, I haven't seen that here, yet. There's been talk about it, and I think it's being tested in very small instances, but nothing widespread.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I honestly don't see that much panic. I see random memes about toilet paper, but when I went to the store the past few days, I saw nothing of the sort. Facebook is not the best barometer on how people are actually acting.

And, you are the one who keeps trying to call it the flu, whilst spreading outright lies and misinformation.
    hmmm because our local stores are all sold out of toilet paper within a 50 mile radius. there isn't any hand sanitizer, toilet paper or facemasks left in our stores.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    also a lot of them are saying the 3.7% is a lie and it's 1% and that the incubation period of 27 days is really just 14 days. basically implying the who is lying.
    FFS. The incubation time is not 27 days. The WHO is not saying that.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

hmmm because our local stores are all sold out of toilet paper within a 50 mile radius.
    Odd, mine had plenty this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Odd, mine had plenty this week.
    oh well because you said so it must be true for everyone else. needs more eyerolling. i'm obviously making this shit up as part of some conspiracy to spread panic.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
    Why write something like that? This is not remotely true. Germany is cancelling everything you can think of.

The very important part is to stretch the infection period. If you doubt if look at Italy. They have regions which have a collapse of the health system and the death numbers a really frightening. This has to be prevented at all costs! On the other side the normal and secure personal life is possible. Be careful but not in panic!
    Yeah, but they should have cancelled all that stuff DAYS ago, they should have had a pandemic plan to be executed BEFORE it got worse, not improvising now. We have an increase in infections of 1000 from yesterday to today and the day isn't even over.

Furthermore the government said explicitely they EXPECT up to 70% of the population to be infected. They expect all those deaths to happen. This is a complete nightmare.

Also why is Northrine Westphalia with over 1200 infected not quarantined like other countries do with high risk parts of the country? Everyone can still travel freely from high risk areas to low risk areas. Are you fucking kidding me?
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2020-03-13 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    There's not a facepalm meme strong enough for this...
    It is a great time to invest in funeral services at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Yeah, but they should have cancelled all that stuff DAYS ago, they should have had a pandemic plan to be executed BEFORE it got worse, not improvising now. We have an increase in infections of 1000 from yesterday to today and the day isn't even over.

Furthermore the government said explicitely they EXPECT up to 70% of the population to be infected. They expect all those deaths to happen. This is a complete nightmare.
    1000 will be on the low side in the future. If we will have a 70% infection within a year you can calculate how many new daily infections you will need to get there.

The point which cannot be stressed enough is to slow the rate down so that everyone can be treated.
    In case of such a pandemy you cannot prevent the infection. China will see new cases in some weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Its not about what Germany or any country is doing now, its what they should have been doing for years.

Someone linked a video earlier in the thread with a public health/infectious disease expert being interviewed and he describes it best... We don't wait until there's a fire to buy a fire truck. We don't wait until we are already in a war to start putting together a military... Etc... We already have those things ready to go for when we need them.

But in the case of this virus or any similar public health crisis, we (the US, Western Europe, the entire world) have done almost nothing to prepare for it; and that's despite decades of various outbreaks and health authorities warning of some eventuality like this. We haven't stockpiled any necessary supplies before hand, our response plans, if they even exist, are ramshackle, many places don't have the capacity to handle what is happening at all.
    Most of the world promotes sane ways of having nutrition. It is the China that needs to regulate these wild animal markets.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2020-03-13 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This was our commissary last night. This dude and us (husband and I) grabbed the last 2 packs and took pics of each other lol. They’re restocking but I’ve never seen it like that before... in my life. The cleaning aisle was the same way.
    how long before people start making runs on adult diapers?

This was our commissary last night. This dude and us (husband and I) grabbed the last 2 packs and took pics of each other lol. They’re restocking but I’ve never seen it like that before... in my life. The cleaning aisle was the same way.

Yeah, we went to our local Costco, Menards, and Target, none had TP. Person I know on the other side of the city (32 miles to his store) had TP at their stores, but might have something to do with there being cases of COVID-19 on that side, not our side.

The facts are, that it is technically not the flu... now matter how many times you try to push it. The flu is not technically a cold, and pneumonia isn't technically the flu, either. The exact symptoms and severity of those symptoms differ.
    As @PhaelixWW pointed out, my use of the word "technically" was not appropriate.

My point was that COVID-19 exhibits all of the same symptoms as the flu, a little stronger, and has at least one additional that isn't normally attributed to the flu: shortness of breath.

https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/u...or-coronavirus

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coro...-symptoms.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/healt...rnd/index.html

I don't think the comparison is inappropriate, but I do understand why perpetuating it is generally bad. I'm not talking to the general public here though, the folks taking part in this thread seem to have a better understanding of it than most so I didn't think it would go over so badly as you'd understand what I was trying to do. My apologies for not being more clear or if the message seemed wrong/ misinformed. That was not my intent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    My point was that COVID-19 exhibits all of the same symptoms as the flu, a little stronger, and has at least one additional that isn't normally attributed to the flu: shortness of breath.

I don't think the comparison is inappropriate, but I do understand why perpetuating it is generally bad. I'm not talking to the general public here though, the folks taking part in this thread seem to have a better understanding of it than most so I didn't think it would go over so badly as you'd understand what I was trying to do. My apologies for not being more clear or if the message seemed wrong/ misinformed. That was not my intent.
    The problem is that you're continuing to use terminology like "a little stronger".

Most people vastly underestimate the flu as it is. Combine that with the fact that COVID-19 has 10-30 times the mortality rate, as well as the fact that the population has zero natural resistance to this novel virus (and no vaccine or even any terribly effective treatments) mean that this virus is shaping up to be potentially 100x as deadly as the flu.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The problem is that you're continuing to use terminology like "a little stronger".

Most people vastly underestimate the flu as it is. Combine that with the fact that COVID-19 has 10-30 times the mortality rate, as well as the fact that the population has zero natural resistance to this novel virus (and no vaccine or even any terribly effective treatments) mean that this virus is shaping up to be potentially 100x as deadly as the flu.
    Fine.

I think what you're saying is a bit exaggerated, because it's still a little early and data is lacking, but I see the point you're trying to make.

wow i really picked a bad time to start using toilet paper

oh well because you said so it must be true for everyone else. needs more eyerolling. i'm obviously making this shit up as part of some conspiracy to spread panic.
    Isn't that literally what you are doing?

Let me know when you see the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Has Jeff Bublitz been confirmed positive do you know?
    looks like it was a false story

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    As @PhaelixWW pointed out, my use of the word "technically" was not appropriate.

https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/u...or-coronavirus

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coro...-symptoms.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/healt...rnd/index.html

So, you got called out for pushing bullshit, thanks for admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Also why is Northrine Westphalia with over 1200 infected not quarantined like other countries do with high risk parts of the country? Everyone can still travel freely from high risk areas to low risk areas. Are you fucking kidding me?
    There is no legal way in Germany to force someone into quarantine without being 100% certain that he is infected, not even talking about whole regions.

This is btw true for many other countries, including Italy. And Italy is a prime example of what did happen when they tried:
    After "red zoning" half of northern Italy - which was just a recommendation with no legal and most importantly no technical way to enforce the quarantine - people started leaving this zone and went south, further spreading the disease.

So unless you are a good friend with Trump and can drop a wall around the zones over night strong travel restrictions will just cause a massive escape reflex and a panic in other parts of the country.