Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    CDC data: Florida is neither in the top 25 of states in terms of cases, nor in the top 25 of states in terms of deaths over the past week.

Your data is outdated. Florida currently has the 4th highest community transmission in the US.

COVID Data Tracker

As for death, when it comes to Florida, we won't know until one month down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    By 12/31, it was third behind only New York and New Jersey.
    Puerto Rico, although not a state, new case rate is higher than FL right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The problem with this opinion is it can only be held if one believes Florida, under DeSantis and their new Surgeon General - the guy who, literally today, is talking about how people need to stop focusing on testing so much and just live their lives. Because it's not like we're in a pandemic with what is the most contagious variant by overwhelming hospitals. Again.
    Florida Surgeon General appears to not realize that Paxlovid and Molnupiravir need to be taken within 5 days of symptoms. Further study indicates that with Omicron, they need to be taken within 3 days of symptoms for maximum effectiveness. So early detection is critical. The earlier the better.

15+ Year Old Account
    new variant in southern france, already 1000 cases
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Technically, so is Washington D.C., but is even less a state than Puerto Rico...

...though both should be.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Florida Surgeon General appears to not realize that Paxlovid and Molnupiravir need to be taken within 5 days of symptoms. Further study indicates that with Omicron, they need to be taken within 3 days of symptoms for maximum effectiveness. So early detection is critical. The earlier the better.
    Man, honestly the past 2-5 years have made me thing that organizations like the Bar and medical licensing boards need a lot more authority to yank folks authorization to practice and have more frequent reviews. The number of doctors out there intentionally spreading disinformation and refusing to recommend best/safest practices is outrageous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, Florida really did elect Florida Man to run the state
    We thought that people had learned
    -- Gov. DeSantis, in that article you just posted

Most of us have, what's your excuse?
    -- Breccia

I am not the only one to point out that Florida had a much worse summer than the rest of the country. Like, even worse than a bunch of red states had. For example, from July 1 to Sept 1, 12,502 Floridians died of COVID. When compared to, oh I don't know, New York, which lost under 1,000 in the same span, it's clear Florida done fucked up.

The USA has a total cumulative deaths/100,000 of 250. Florida is nearly 300. Now, I will admit NYC is at 421 which is a higher number, but they had climed to 261 by May 2020 because it was dumped on their lap by an incompetent administration. Since then it's clmbed by 160. Both that, and the rest of NYState, are below Florida...and the USA in general, just so we're clear.

In fact, since May 2020, Florida has nearly double the per-capita cumulative death count of NYC. NYC has done alright since, once bitten etc etc. Florida is in pooch fucker territory.

Florida has a saving throw here, in that omicron isn't the straight-up murderer (yet) that other strains have been. But as to who has learned? NYC is lapping those fuckers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to catch flak but the says you only need to quarantine for 5 days so the medication is fine, right.

Ok that's not all of what the CDC but I'm in FL right now dealing with family positive cases. Anyone what to know how people are interpreting the new CDC guidelines? Anyone?

"I know my rights, the CDC says I only for 5 days".

Work day is over. Did you know people are stealing them now (well half because they think you only need the dry test strip) ? How about fight while waiting for one like it's a PS5? You ever have to argue with someone that you don't care if they think they got sick 5 days ago that they need a mask? Good times.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

https://www.businessinsider.com/texa...testing-2022-1

Texas too, who have spent the past year bucking CDC recommendations and trying to ban local lockdowns and mask/vaccine mandates, are begging the feds for help. The feds that they proudly and loudly flouted, ignored, and rejected until they needed their help.

Once again, I'm fully on board with helping them. There are tons of people who didn't vote for this garbage leadership who don't deserve to suffer because the majority of people in their state chose terrible leadership. But it really should come with loud, unavoidable reminders that the federal government is bailing out the failed response by the state. Failed not because they were overwhelmed, but because they didn't bother taking it seriously or properly preparing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm going to catch flak but the says you only need to quarantine for 5 days so the medication is fine, right.

Ok that's not all of what the CDC but I'm in FL right now dealing with family positive cases. Anyone what to know how people are interpreting the new CDC guidelines? Anyone?

"I know my rights, the CDC says I only for 5 days".

Work day is over. Did you know people are stealing them now (well half because they think you only need the dry test strip) ? How about fight while waiting for one like it's a PS5? You ever have to argue with someone that you don't care if they think they got sick 5 days ago that they need a mask? Good times.
    Why would you catch flack? It is a reasonable question.

From my perspective, the 5-day quarantine is only intended for asymptomatic cases. Primarily critical workers such as health care professionals, EMTs, fire fighters, law enforcement officers, etc. that have to take tests on a regular basis as part of their employment requirements. Otherwise, there would be no reason for an asymptomatic person to take the test. He would not even realize that he had Covid. It is asymptomatic after all. The 5-day quarantine would allow workers to get back to work quicker and helps alleviate the worker's shortage observed at various health care facilities throughout the US.

On the other hand, Paxlovid and Molnupiravir are intended for use by high risk Covid patients only. Not somebody that is asymptomatic. They are to be used within 3 - 5 days of SYMPTOMS.

Yes. CDC is confusing the hell out of everybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.businessinsider.com/texa...testing-2022-1

Texas too, who have spent the past year bucking CDC recommendations and trying to ban local lockdowns and mask/vaccine mandates, are begging the feds for help. The feds that they proudly and loudly flouted, ignored, and rejected until they needed their help.

Once again, I'm fully on board with helping them. There are tons of people who didn't vote for this garbage leadership who don't deserve to suffer because the majority of people in their state chose terrible leadership. But it really should come with loud, unavoidable reminders that the federal government is bailing out the failed response by the state. Failed not because they were overwhelmed, but because they didn't bother taking it seriously or properly preparing for it.
    So Abbot hands Biden a dog bleeding from it's rectum and says "Hey Joe, I screwed the pooch. Can you unfuck this for me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Great start to the year, tested positive.
    Bloody impossible to get a PCR Test slot with the huge influx of infections with the omicron variant... been days, and I need it to apply for Covid sick pay. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody impossible to get a PCR Test slot with the huge influx of infections with the omicron variant... been days, and I need it to apply for Covid sick pay. :/
    They wont accept a rapid test? Not that those are easy to get in some places either.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They wont accept a rapid test? Not that those are easy to get in some places either.
    HSE updated this week that they'll accept an Antigen test due to the increased strain for a PCR, but only off those requested directly off them... the texted reference number provided can be used to apply for the covid payment. Either way I still got to wait days for...

Wait, what? Florida is anything but "unexceptional in that regard".

On 12/10, Florida had almost the lowest amount of COVID transmission, second only to Hawaii.

By 12/26, it was one of only a handful of states in the highest tier of this heatmap.

That heatmap is based on per capita numbers...
    I guess a bad pull from me.

Because Florida doesn't have a history of fudging their numbers since...well, the start of this shit. Or issuing repeat corrections to their suspiciously low numbers that bring the back in-line with previous numbers.

The problem with this opinion is it can only be held if one believes Florida, under DeSantis and their new Surgeon General - the guy who, literally today, is talking about how people need to stop focusing on testing so much and just live their lives. Because it's not like we're in a pandemic with what is the most contagious variant by overwhelming hospitals. Again.

i.e. be in completely bad faith

- - - Updated - - -

Weird, almost as if this is a pattern that's been repeating for over a year. Has been heavily discussed in the media and this thread. And still some folks are, or pretend to be, completely unaware of this pattern of behavior.
    Seriously, the guy that says "anti-covid cultists" shouldn't be a Florida number truther.

Your data is outdated. Florida currently has the 4th highest community transmission in the US.

COVID Data Tracker

As for death, when it comes to Florida, we won't know until one month down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I screwed up the table in CDC data so it ended up outdated. My bad. They're right behind NY's spike and overtook California. I had archived stuff from December back when I was looking and debating vaccinations and cases/deaths.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

They're considering changing it only because it will effectively change what certain legal requirements are in some areas, rather than having to change the laws themselves.

It doesn't really mean that being vaccinated really changes.

Regardless, the statement of "fully vaccinated is still fully vaccinated" stands, unless you're in Israel.
    Or Austria, Switzerland, or Croatia: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...avel-explained

And next month it seems to change in the entire EU
    https://www.dw.com/en/covid-eu-vacci...ter/a-60204437

This is perfectly normal - some vaccines don't offer that long-time protection after just one or two doses; some do, and it was better to vaccinate first and then find out this. Basically this puts a time-limit on how long a vaccination counts as working, similarly as the safety inspection of a car has a time-limit.

- - - Updated - - -

And the worst part is that once you get it you might no longer be PCR-positive - which makes it fairly meaningless.

The idea with test and trace is to use the tests to trace contacts and try to get the disease under control, and I don't see the major benefit in tests that are that late - and having a covid sick pay seems to imply that you should work with the flu, common cold, etc which doesn't seem like a smart move.

- - - Updated - - -

From my perspective, the 5-day quarantine is only intended for asymptomatic cases. Primarily critical workers such as health care professionals, EMTs, fire fighters, law enforcement officers, etc. that have to take tests on a regular basis as part of their employment requirements. Otherwise, there would be no reason for an asymptomatic person to take the test. He would not even realize that he had Covid. It is asymptomatic after all. The 5-day quarantine would allow workers to get back to work quicker and helps alleviate the worker's shortage observed at various health care facilities throughout the US.
    That's not what CDC says.

If you are asymptomatic or if the symptoms clear during the 5 days (which seems possible with Omicron) then you can go back to work after 5 days (technically you isolate since you are case; but the rules for quarantine are similar).
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-guidance.html
    Many others require you to be symptom-free one or more days in addition to the 5, 7, or 10 day period, but not CDC.
    When testing is limited it's also unclear when the clock starts - is it 5 days from test or from symptom-start? The former makes more sense - but makes it easy to "fudge" a bit (yes, I felt a bit of headache already the morning after the keg-party).

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my booster shot the 31st. Was driving to work this morning and ate a wine gum. Couldn't taste it so I did a self test at work. Positive. Now waiting on the result of the PCR test.

I'm seeing a lot of people acting shocked that they got it, but when asked about what precautions they took it turns out they were often extremely lax (not referring to anyone here btw). Thinking surgical masks will protect them from the virus in rooms full of people. Wearing masks when visitors are round but taking them off to eat food. Taking masks off as soon as visitors leave without ventilating rooms. Thinking the vaccine is all they need to be protected. Opening doors to delivery drivers while neither are masked because "it's only a couple of seconds".

Maybe I'm over-precautious? I had a fibre engineer round recently and had all windows open and wore an FFP3 mask the whole time, and kept the windows open and mask on for hours after he left, stayed in another room and only removed the mask to eat a quick meal by the window. I have health issues so perhaps I'm more cautious than most, but it just seems like common sense to me to do these things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of people acting shocked that they got it, but when asked about what precautions they took it turns out they were often extremely lax (not referring to anyone here btw). Thinking surgical masks will protect them from the virus in rooms full of people. Wearing masks when visitors are round but taking them off to eat food. Taking masks off as soon as visitors leave without ventilating rooms. Thinking the vaccine is all they need to be protected. Opening doors to delivery drivers while neither are masked because "it's only a couple of seconds".

Maybe I'm over-precautious? I had a fibre engineer round recently and had all windows open and wore an FFP3 mask the whole time, and kept the windows open and mask on for hours after he left, stayed in another room and only removed the mask to eat a quick meal by the window. I have health issues so perhaps I'm more cautious than most, but it just seems like common sense to me to do these things.
    Yeah I recognize that. Have been keeping my distance, only went out to the supermarket. Kept my distance over there and always wore a fresh mask. The only place I might have contracted it, ironically, was probably the vaccination site. It was extremely crowded over there and people were acting all invincible over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Maybe I'm over-precautious?
    I mean.. maybe a bit. But the extra steps you are taking aren't hurting anything and why not take the extra step to protect yourself?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account

I live in NJ. I am not leaving my house. I'm not going to be part of the problem.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Yes. CDC is confusing the hell out of everybody.
    It's really only confusing if you can't read, or can't comprehend what you're reading and are too stupid, ignorant, thick headed, obstinate...or whatever the fuck you want to call it to listen to the experts, and instead take your bathroom FaceBook research session and run with it, all the way to the morgue.... /endrant.

With that said, it's not all that surprising that people are having trouble considering the US literacy rate is abysmal, and of those that ARE literate, less than 50% actually read higher than a 6th grade level.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=763c4b014c90

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2019/2019179/index.asp

https://www.thinkimpact.com/literacy-statistics/

Not trying to derail anything, just adding context to the conversation.