1. #27781
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post


    Because when you have half the country actively working against your efforts to take a pandemic seriously, it's hard to be successful. And it touches upon the issues of the US helping other countries with their vaccine efforts -
    This is honestly the biggest issue that we face. You can't blame the administration when you are constantly seeing states fighting any glimmer of a mandate. Governors saying they wont force masks in even schools. Its hard. Without going full lock down and bringing out the national guard, there just isn't a winning way this administration can fight the pandemic thanks, in no small part, to the previous administration setting this all up. What is worse is that the same idiots who are fighting any mandates are the ones who will use the failures that they forcibly create as evidence to point to this administration not being able to successfully fight this pandemic.

    That is why I see this only ending in an apocalyptic even, or a strain like Omicron infecting people so quickly that it burns through those it can infect and kills itself out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Free covid kits Biden promised are available through https://special.usps.com/testkits
    Thank you. I got my kit ordered. Hopefully I wont need it, but itll be good to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  2. #27782
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Just to circle back around to this for a minute...

    San Francisco doesn't have the lowest mortality rate of major US cities, let alone by an order of magnitude.

    SF has had 696 deaths, which is a mortality of 79.4 per 100k. Even the worst cities aren't an order of magnitude worse. NYC has had 36,949 deaths and a mortality of 417.5 per 100k, which is only ~5x that of SF. Fresno has had 2,415 deaths and a mortality of 438.9 per 100k, right around the same ~5x. And those are some of the worst cities in the US for COVID mortality.
    To compare it internationally - SF is between Canada at 83 per 100k, and Denmark at 60 per 100k.
    Fresno is close to Bulgaria at 467 per 100k, and below Peru at 610 per 100k.

  3. #27783
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    To compare it internationally - SF is between Canada at 83 per 100k, and Denmark at 60 per 100k.
    Fresno is close to Bulgaria at 467 per 100k, and below Peru at 610 per 100k.
    The whole point was comparing major cities to other major cities, though, not to counties, states, or countries.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  4. #27784
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They put the fucking Medical Director for Orange County on leave for encouraging his department's employees that they should get the vaccine.
    That's mind blowingly terrible...but it's even worse. They are investigating to try to find a way to press criminal charges against him.

    A public healthcare official.
    Following health guidelines.
    Encouraging established precautionary measures.

    Florida needs to go far far far away and stay there.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

  5. #27785
    The Pandemic will be over my mid summer, there likely won't be any new variants because of how well this virus spreads, it has no need to evolve further. With the vaccination % very high world wide plus the new anti-viral that basically prevents mostly all deaths it is just a matter of time.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  6. #27786
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The Pandemic will be over my mid summer
    Man, we've sure heard this one before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    there likely won't be any new variants because of how well this virus spreads
    I definitely feel like I've heard this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    it has no need to evolve further.
    That's not how random mutations work, evolution is not an intentional process something undergoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    With the vaccination % very high world wide plus the new anti-viral that basically prevents mostly all deaths it is just a matter of time.
    I'll still be taking the pandemic seriously and expecting it to drag on, especially as half of the US seems desperate to make sure that it never ends as they continue to reject all science and medical advice and instead resort to taking horse dewormer or drinking their own piss.

  7. #27787
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, we've sure heard this one before.



    I definitely feel like I've heard this one.



    That's not how random mutations work, evolution is not an intentional process something undergoes.



    I'll still be taking the pandemic seriously and expecting it to drag on, especially as half of the US seems desperate to make sure that it never ends as they continue to reject all science and medical advice and instead resort to taking horse dewormer or drinking their own piss.
    The antiviral drug though is definitely a huge benefit. I really doubt we will see another mutation of any relevance.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  8. #27788
    The Lightbringer Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,568
    If only people all over the world had access to vaccines. Not going to happen any time soon.

  9. #27789
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The antiviral drug though is definitely a huge benefit. I really doubt we will see another mutation of any relevance.
    It's great, yeah. Hopefully will help get hospitals less packed with unvaxxed idiots causing harm to folks taht need treatment for non-covid reasons but are unable to find any hospitals with the space to care for them.

    And on the mutations, I'll stick with the actual infectious disease specialists who are still warning about new mutations - https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...cientists-warn

  10. #27790
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's great, yeah. Hopefully will help get hospitals less packed with unvaxxed idiots causing harm to folks taht need treatment for non-covid reasons but are unable to find any hospitals with the space to care for them.

    And on the mutations, I'll stick with the actual infectious disease specialists who are still warning about new mutations - https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...cientists-warn
    Fearmongering still happens.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  11. #27791
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Fearmongering still happens.
    Oh come off it, everything related to covid has been "fearmongering" since the first case in the US was reported.

    "We will not live in fear!"

    Nonsense, it's justified and right to fear something like a virus that can kill you or leave you with longterm health complications. "Not being afraid" of covid doesn't make you (the royal you) some big brave alpha dog, it makes you foolhardy and ignorant.

  12. #27792
    Legendary! Poopymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh come off it, everything related to covid has been "fearmongering" since the first case in the US was reported.

    "We will not live in fear!"*

    Nonsense, it's justified and right to fear something like a virus that can kill you or leave you with longterm health complications. "Not being afraid" of covid doesn't make you (the royal you) some big brave alpha dog, it makes you foolhardy and ignorant.
    *Exceptions include: Gays. Fair wages. Masks. Yellow people. Brown people. Black people. Atheists. Catholics. Lutherans. Muslims. Democrats. Women. Taxes. Justice. Communists. Socialists. Equality. Nature. Reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

  13. #27793
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    *Exceptions include: Gays. Fair wages. Masks. Yellow people. Brown people. Black people. Atheists. Catholics. Lutherans. Muslims. Democrats. Women. Taxes. Justice. Communists. Socialists. Equality. Nature. Reality.
    Well, sure, they may live in fear of those things, but they'll be damned if they let some piddly little pandemic make them act with a modicum of caution.

    They're going to show that 'rona who's boss!


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  14. #27794
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Just to circle back around to this for a minute...

    San Francisco doesn't have the lowest mortality rate of major US cities, let alone by an order of magnitude.

    SF has had 696 deaths, which is a mortality of 79.4 per 100k. Even the worst cities aren't an order of magnitude worse. NYC has had 36,949 deaths and a mortality of 417.5 per 100k, which is only ~5x that of SF. Fresno has had 2,415 deaths and a mortality of 438.9 per 100k, right around the same ~5x. And those are some of the worst cities in the US for COVID mortality.

    But yeah, SF isn't even the lowest. Seattle has had 544 deaths, which is a mortality of 70.4 per 100k and is about 9% lower than SF.

    Even during the delta/omicron surges, the two cities are pretty much neck-and-neck. Since 7/1/2021, just before the start of the delta surge, SF has had 129 deaths (14.7 per 100k) and Seattle has had 116 deaths (15.0 per 100k). Seattle was a bit lower during delta, but a bit higher since omicron started surging.
    I stand corrected.

    Updated new case for San Francisco. That really low numbers were apparently based on computer errors. The actual number is 800 cases per day, as opposed to 80 cases per day. Still less than one-third of peak.

    Hospital bed occupancy is normal as can be seen on the second figure.

    There were talks about twindemic of Flu and Covid in the beginning of December. So far, the number of flu cases in San Francisco has been low. Why? Probably a confluence of multiple factors. Masking. Covid might have culled the people that were vulnerable to Flu. High flu vaccination rate. Covid vaccines may also provide some degree of protection against flu viruses.




  15. #27795
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The whole point was comparing major cities to other major cities, though, not to counties, states, or countries.
    That was fine in itself; but I lacked a reference point to know whether any of those numbers were good or bad - and in case someone else needed it I posted.

    I don't know if there is an international comparison of major cities. I would expect that the local variations will be smaller in many other countries; as there are more national policies and less of city-specific policies.

  16. #27796
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That was fine in itself; but I lacked a reference point to know whether any of those numbers were good or bad - and in case someone else needed it I posted.

    I don't know if there is an international comparison of major cities. I would expect that the local variations will be smaller in many other countries; as there are more national policies and less of city-specific policies.
    The big US cities used to have their own running tally of Covid's cases, hospitalization and death. That ended around the end of 2020. Now we only have county level numbers. Some county dashboards break the numbers down to city level. Those are the exceptions and not the rule.

    Miami used to provide Covid data for the city. They stopped doing that January 2021. Now we only have data for Miami-Dade. Which is basically cut and paste of the CDC website for Miami-Dade.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-01-19 at 08:28 PM.

  17. #27797
    In the EU vaccine passports register vaccinations, recovered from infections the last 6 months, and negative PCR tests.

    So a Czech singer got the bright of getting infected with covid to travel without getting vaccinated, but alas, she didn't recover:
    https://www.euronews.com/2022/01/19/...-a-health-pass

  18. #27798
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    In the EU vaccine passports register vaccinations, recovered from infections the last 6 months, and negative PCR tests.

    So a Czech singer got the bright of getting infected with covid to travel without getting vaccinated, but alas, she didn't recover:
    https://www.euronews.com/2022/01/19/...-a-health-pass
    Man, I feel like this column is relevant: https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...f-anti-vaxxers

    Don't feel bad in the slightest. Play stupid games, win stupid fuckin prizese.

  19. #27799
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I feel like this column is relevant: https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...f-anti-vaxxers

    Don't feel bad in the slightest. Play stupid games, win stupid fuckin prizese.
    If they are not clogging the hospitals, I would be more than happy to ignore them.

  20. #27800
    Non-Death Cult: Please get a quick covid test before coming to in-person committee meetings. It's quick, simple, free, and ensures that we're all safe.

    Death Cultists: WE'LL BRING THE PLAGUE WITH US! SOME AMERICANS DON'T HAVE THIS CHOICE SO WE'RE STANDING WITH THEM RATHER THAN DOING EVERYTING WE CAN TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND OUR COLLEAGUES! FREEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

    https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/polit...ing/index.html

    This country ain't gonna survive the pandemic, yo.

    Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, for example, has accrued $88,000 in fines for refusing to wear a mask on the House floor -- or roughly half her congressional salary. The fines are automatically docked from lawmakers' paychecks.
    Because they're just racking up bills to virtue signal to their bases like the rich fucks they are. Because they don't care. Covid is a game to these fucks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •