10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    That growth rate in the US is absolutely insane. March 30th: +20.2k, March 31st: +24.7k, April 1st: +26.4k, today: +29.1k.
    hey where is that guy that was saying it was going down? i need him to explain something to me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    hey where is that guy that was saying it was going down? i need him to explain something to me.
    You mean @lockybalboa

What happened man??? I thought we were past the curve!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You mean @lockybalboa

What happened man??? I thought we were past the curve!?
    yeah. i mean was this some sort of downward ramp that launched us into the air. i'm so lost.

offtopic for a minute: @PACOX you were saying. looks like a extra early start to hurricane season.
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurri...t-coast/713026
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-04-03 at 12:07 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post

offtopic for a minute: @PACOX you were saying. looks like a extra early start to hurricane season.
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurri...t-coast/713026
    Well damn...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am fully expecting an unprecedented baby boom
    Or an unprecedented divorce rate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am fully expecting an unprecedented baby boom
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Or an unprecedented divorce rate
    Por que no los dos?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

David Heymann, who led WHO's infectious disease unit at the time of the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003, said at a Chatham House briefing Wednesday that the WHO was also due to reconsider its guidance on wearing face masks following new evidence from Hong Kong, according to The Guardian.

The evidence was provided to the WHO confidentially, Heymann said, but it was likely to be made publicly available in due course.
    Oh well it seems opinions are changing and the cdc and who are likely going to change guidelines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Oh well it seems opinions are changing and the cdc and who are likely going to change guidelines.
    White House expected to urge Americans to wear face coverings in public to slow spread of coronavirus
    The recommendations represent a major change in CDC guidance that healthy people don’t need masks or face coverings. The memos and guidance make clear the coverings under discussion are not medical masks, such as N95 respirators or surgical face masks, which are needed by front-line health-care workers and are in extremely short supply. Those must continue to be reserved for health-care workers and other first responders, they say.

Simple cloth masks that cover the mouth and nose can prevent virus transmission from people who are infected but have no symptoms when they must go into public settings, such as grocery stores, the guidance states. It makes clear the cloth covering is not intended to protect the wearer but to prevent the spread of the virus from the wearer to others.

Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, cautioned at Thursday’s briefing that people should not get a false sense of security from wearing masks. She emphasized they are no substitute for social distancing and frequent hand-washing. People need to continue to stay at least six feet away from other people, she said.

[CDC Director Robert Redfield] said the guidance on mask wearing was "being critically re-reviewed, to see if there’s potential additional value for individuals that are infected or individuals that may be asymptomatically infected."
    So... pretty much confirming everything I said.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It doesn’t confirm everything you said as part of what you said was that it doesn’t protect people at all. Which is not true. It doesn’t protect much but does protect. And the way masks are shaped can divert the spread away from the mouth and nose.

I say marginal protection > none.

I say.

Some mitigation with small benefits > none.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-04-03 at 01:23 AM.

When facing a novel virus, always turn to MMOC experts for advice.
    World would be a much safer place.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn’t confirm everything you said as part of what you said was that it doesn’t protect people at all. Which is not true.
    Are you fucking kidding me?

Let's roll back the tape, shall we?
    The problem is also that anything short of 100% compliance faces severe limitations in effectiveness.
    So not worthless, but not nearly as worthwhile as people tend to think.
    Like I said, it's hardly worthless, but it's not as worthwhile as some people might think.
    Air being pulled into your lungs on inhalation does not just come through the mask, but also around it, drastically lowering its effectiveness.
    In that situation, the surgical mask is prudent, even though it is not nearly as effective, because the doctor should already be protected.
    surgical masks don't effectively block inhalation of infectious particles. Their limited effectiveness...
    they will still leak, drastically reducing their effectiveness
    and surgical masks are a lot less effective
    I've never, not once, said that there was zero benefit. Merely that the benefit was minimal
    And you seriously claimed that I had reading comprehension issues. FFS...

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quoting yourself 9 times. Thats low even for mmo champ
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Quoting yourself 9 times. Thats low even for mmo champ
    Shouldn't be necessary to repeat the same thing 9 times in direct dialogue with someone and then have them still claim that I said something different.

But here we are.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't be necessary to repeat the same thing 9 times in direct dialogue with someone and then have them still claim that I said something different.

But here we are.
    themius isn't happy unless he finds someone to argue with.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn’t confirm everything you said as part of what you said was that it doesn’t protect people at all. Which is not true. It doesn’t protect much but does protect. And the way masks are shaped can divert the spread away from the mouth and nose.

I say marginal protection > none.

I say.

Some mitigation with small benefits > none.
    are you even reading the posts or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Past two days the number of new cases in the Netherlands has increased....in the US deaths blew right past 5k and is very near to 6k.
    End of last week there were 60 cases in the US county where my most vulnerable relatives live and now there are a little over 200.
    Yyyyyeah, this isn't going away anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole mask thing, nothing changes anyway unless there's a unified order requiring mask. We can't even get a unified stay at home order. Right now it's local governments, and general were talking the county and state level, actually issuing orders with weight to to them. Asking people to stay home, making recommendations, aren't real orders.

That's why I don't blame the initial carriers for breaking or not even going into quarantine. They were lay people who weren't feeling sick told that maybe they should 'stay home for a few days'. So of course those people leave their house without even being tested.

I don't understand why some many leaders in this country are being lax when nothing they've done has made any of this better.

There's signs that people have pushed more effective measures of containment but someone above them strikes it down. I've had papers for two weeks officially declaring me an essential employee should law enforcement stop me. We still aren't under any actual travel restrictions or curfews. So that suggests to me that movement restrictions were on the drawing board but never enacted.

The federal government can't be counted on.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

i guess i'll just run down to cvs and get some...ummm...maybe amazon...nope....umm...wonder if i can log on to a chinese ebay....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Are you fucking kidding me?

Let's roll back the tape, shall we?

And you seriously claimed that I had reading comprehension issues. FFS...
    Your argument was because of their limited effectiveness that they are not effective or important when it comes to preventing the spread of the virus in people wearing them to prevent getting sick.

The mask doesn't help the person who is uninfected, it helps the person who is infected from not infecting others.
    I mean, medical professionals are absolutely using both, demonstrably. The point is mainly that if people were applying the physical distancing the way they should be, the masks would be largely useless, regardless.
    I am tying every single one of your subsequent comments into these.

- - - Updated - - -

This is good news.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...-fight-1270929

Murphy signed an executive order last week requiring businesses throughout the state to provide the state with an inventory of the supplies and equipment they have. His latest order gives Callahan to authority to commandeer supplies and equipment that hasn’t been donated.

“We all certainly hope that Pat doesn’t have to use this authority. We would hope that folks will step forward and do the right thing,” Murphy said Thursday. “But if need be, we will use this authority.”

Just a reminder that a million people die in car crashes every year and we don't shut down the entire society for that.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-03 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Just a reminder that a million people die in car crashes every year and we don't shut down the entire society for that.

just a reminder that x people die in airplane crashes every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.
    just a reminder that x people die in cruise line accidents every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.
    just a reminder that x people die in earthquakes every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.
    just a reminder that x people die in tsunamis every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.
    just a reminder that x people die in tornados every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.
    just a reminder that x people die in hurricanes every year and we dont shut down the entire society for that.

do you realize how asinine your argument is?