Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    hmm..so is Trump still tryin to downplay the virus situation in the states?
    trump is a idiot who doesn't know jack about much of anything, that being said, no the officials are not taking this shit seriously at all. they JUST let a cruise ship dock and disembark at san fran that was KNOWN to be infected with corona but they just let the people go their merry way like nothing. Now one of those people is up here in our hospital sick and who knows how many others she infected on her way from san fran to redding...apparently she even checked into chico E.R. before coming here so she's just infecting the entire north state now...

other countries are taking it far more seriously as they should be, even going so far as to shut down entire regions to control the spread, but I don't think anything like that is going on in the states but I could be wrong
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People probably got infected by a mutation, which is possible. It's very rare to get infected by the same strain of a virus (strain might be the wrong word). You can get 're infected' by a mutation of it. It's how people might catch the flu twice in one season if the strain of the year mutates.
    It's possible. Still too early to tell for sure.

I was sent this today:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...scientists-say

Scientists showed that Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) entered the human body by binding with a receptor protein called ACE2 on a cell membrane. And some early studies suggested that the new coronavirus, which shares about 80 per cent of the genetic structure of Sars, might follow a similar path.

But the ACE2 protein does not exist in large quantities in healthy people, and this partly helped to limit the scale of the Sars outbreak of 2002-03, in which infected about 8,000 people around the world.
    and

The virus uses the outreaching spike protein to hook on to the host cell, but normally this protein is inactive. The cleavage site structure’s job is to trick the human furin protein, so it will cut and activate the spike protein and cause a “direct fusion” of the viral and cellular membranes.

Compared to the Sars’ way of entry, this binding method is “100 to 1,000 times” as efficient, according to the study.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    trump is a idiot who doesn't know jack about much of anything, that being said, no the officials are not taking this shit seriously at all. they JUST let a cruise ship dock and disembark at san fran that was KNOWN to be infected with corona but they just let the people go their merry way like nothing. Now one of those people is up here in our hospital sick and who knows how many others she infected on her way from san fran to redding...apparently she even checked into chico E.R. before coming here so she's just infecting the entire north state now...

other countries are taking it far more seriously as they should be, even going so far as to shut down entire regions to control the spread, but I don't think anything like that is going on in the states but I could be wrong
    I do find it very worrisome that our own president is contradicting scientists, WHO and the CDC on the information coming out of the white house. T.T

Wait...wut? The grand princess or a completely different ship? If it's a different ship, than that might be the one i heard about that let the people disembark w/o getting tested. Oh boy!
    The US better start using those portable handheld scanners that China is using..who cares if people feel violated getting their temp scanned. lol
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    US death toll now at 19. It was 14 just 36 hours ago. More than half the states have affected people.

I toyed with a few mathematical models, but all of them were flawed. I will only say "community spread" is a real term with specific meaning and specific definition, like "pandemic", and it's not a good term to have lying around. +35% dead in 36 hours is not a trend we can afford to see continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I do find it very worrisome that our own president is contradicting scientists, WHO and the CDC on the information coming out of the white house. T.T

Wait...wut? The grand princess or a completely different ship? If it's a different ship, than that might be the one i heard about that let the people disembark w/o getting tested. Oh boy!
    The US better start using those portable handheld scanners that China is using..who cares if people feel violated getting their temp scanned. lol
    maybe this didn't let them all off but i found this
    https://krcrtv.com/news/local/woman-...ly-coronavirus
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    US death toll now at 19. It was 14 just 36 hours ago. More than half the states have affected people.

I toyed with a few mathematical models, but all of them were flawed. I will only say "community spread" is a real term with specific meaning and specific definition, like "pandemic", and it's not a good term to have lying around. +35% dead in 36 hours is not a trend we can afford to see continue.
    49 people died in Italy alone yesterday. Not reassuring when the death toll goes up 25% in 1 day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...G0bavJJlTwAhpk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by We are covfefe View Post
    49 people died in Italy alone yesterday. Not reassuring when the death toll goes up 25% in 1 day.
    I've been trying to avoid posting about nonAmerican numbers because I don't know enough about their situations, but they are important and should still be posted.

Italy has been rated as having the second-best health care in the world. And I keep seeing headlines like "Italy locks down 16 million people" or other big, blatant steps they've taken. If their death toll is continuing to rise, after these short- and long-term measures, it's bad news indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why the "panic" over this? I don't understand the "Flu" has killed more than Coronavirus. Why aren't we quarantining people with the "flu", canceling schools, etc? I'm not trying to be contrite. I really do not understand making this into a pandemic.
    - Coronavirus has 10-20x the mortality rate of flu (and that's generous - 32 million illnesses from the flu in the US annually causes 18,000 deaths. 32 million coronavirus illnesses would cause around 640,000 deaths by comparison. That's a huge difference, and if we don't control the spread, we will reach those numbers)
    - We have flu vaccines that aren't completely effective, but are decent, and influenza is well studied
    - Flu is already endemic. We have a chance now to prevent coronavirus from becoming endemic, but that's looking less likely

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    - Coronavirus has 10-20x the mortality rate of flu (and that's generous - 32 million illnesses from the flu in the US annually causes 18,000 deaths. 32 million coronavirus illnesses would cause around 640,000 deaths by comparison. That's a huge difference, and if we don't control the spread, we will reach those numbers)
    - We have flu vaccines that aren't completely effective, but are decent, and influenza is well studied
    - Flu is already endemic. We have a chance now to prevent coronavirus from becoming endemic, but that's looking less likely
    That would be true if the mortality rate was still 2.2%.
    WHO has it listed as over 4% currently but if you exclude the PRC's likely false data-set it's just under a 22% mortality rate.

Also, 2/3s of the US congress just got exposed to COVID19 by two infected AIPAC lobbyists.
    So expect to see serious shit-hit-the-fan type shit in the US now, CBRN qualified service members are being called into service, even the retired.
    Martial law enforced quarantine soon, if it's fast enough and sure it will save millions and will give us some productivity for a war economy to produce the needed supplies to fight the virus' spread and hopefully find a effective treatment.

Pence and Trump might have the virus according to a CPAC being tested positive with the virus.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

This is still the best site ive seen tracking it, if anyone has a better one pls post

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    This is still the best site ive seen tracking it, if anyone has a better one pls post

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
    For statistics I prefer:
    - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    They also recently added a total cases per 1m pop.

A giant red dot in the middle of a country doesn't really say much.
    some maps go into a per-region listing which is way more accurate.
    Last edited by bbr; 2020-03-08 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    That would be true if the mortality rate was still 2.2%.
    WHO has it listed as over 4% currently but if you exclude the PRC's likely false data-set it's just under a 22% mortality rate.

Also, 2/3s of the US congress just got exposed to COVID19 by two infected AIPAC lobbyists.
    So expect to see serious shit-hit-the-fan type shit in the US now, CBRN qualified service members are being called into service, even the retired.
    Martial law enforced quarantine soon, if it's fast enough and sure it will save millions and will give us some productivity for a war economy to produce the needed supplies to fight the virus' spread and hopefully find a effective treatment.
    Well thats one con when a good portion of you elected officals are 65+. Maybe they'll reevaluate workers rights and culture if a couple of them get sick.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Already feeling the impact at work here at the airport. Flybe has gone into administration, month's roster had to be quickly revised as my company dealt with them... part time workers are getting less hours now, some doing 4 hours a day with less days (3 on 3 off, from 4 days on 2 days off)... :/

7+ Year Old Account
    All three of my local offices, San Francisco Bay area, were told at the beginning of the week to WFH until further notice. Its a bit surreal.

Over the course of the week I've stocked up on some basic stuff in case my area gets quarantined: canned soups, frozen vegetables, chicken breasts that I've frozen, made a bunch of dough for bread that I've frozen and can use when ever. Have enough food stuff for ~4-5 weeks should I need it.

I hope everyone is stocking up on basic essentials in case they need to be quarantined.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I hope everyone is stocking up on basic essentials in case they need to be quarantined.
    Ireland is going to be in for a reality shock in the coming weeks when numbers soar.

Tired of this lax approach with this stupid Govern basically saying "We'll be grand, keep travelling - St Patrick's Parade is here soon!"

I expect to see supermarkets bare within the month. I've stocked up somewhat.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-03-08 at 08:02 AM.

In Italy the average age of people dead from this is 81-82, and 2 out of 3 had 3 underlying conditions that worsened their odds of survival.
    Why are we so scared, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've been trying to avoid posting about nonAmerican numbers because I don't know enough about their situations, but they are important and should still be posted.

Italy has been rated as having the second-best health care in the world. And I keep seeing headlines like "Italy locks down 16 million people" or other big, blatant steps they've taken. If their death toll is continuing to rise, after these short- and long-term measures, it's bad news indeed.
    Having good health-care doesn't help if people don't stay in quarantine stuff, and The Economist's latest number reported that 20% of working Italians are self-employed and thus don't qualify for health-insurance and they are much more likely to work while sick, and that Wellcome Trust, a charity, found that only 63% of Italians trust government health-advice, much lower than Canada, Germany, Britain, and S. Korea.

And the link for Italy having "2nd best healthcare ranking" starts with listing the countries with the best health-care (including Canada, France, Germany, some of the Nordic countries, Japan - but not Italy) from https://www.prosperity.com/rankings , and then give a completely different health-care rank where Italy is 2nd based on US News; but the link is for best states in the US!

I couldn't see a current health-care ranking, and in the overall score Italy was way down, and it was split along different axis, where Italy was top on Heritage and Cultural Influence and 2nd on "Adventure" - but then ranked 18th or worse in other categories.

This seems to be a common trend, a links to some page linking to some page etc, and somewhere the chain is broken - or someone changed some of the intermediary facts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    thank you for that site
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

If you don't want to give money to someone's blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.