Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I mean one could also say if its so dangerous then when why aren't other nations following suit (I'm not saying it is or isn't dangerous. I don't think dwelling on China is useful). The most populated nation in the world thats also extremely dense. They can't afford for a dense to run rampant whether its a cold or ebola.

What can be said is that eastern countries tend to react to outbreaks in a more organized fashion. Here in the US we're basically everyone man for themselves while cases continue to climb and people being told they're infected by newscasts.
    I think there is a real fear over shutting down the economy. I could be wrong at this point we will see over the coming months. What could of been done to contain it is would of needed to of been before this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That’s really irresponsible, tbh. Yes, it’s going to keep spreading, but if/when you get it you still need to be quarantining yourself in your home. Not out “jogging” and working.
    Bills have to get paid.
    Capitalism is the suck when you get sick.

So my options are either starve to death and go homeless...or?
    Reality check: not sick in so far as I'm aware. And I refuse to live in fear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So my options are either starve to death and go homeless...or?
    Reality check: not sick in so far as I'm aware. And I refuse to live in fear
    How dare you not comply with the fears of a stay-at-home mom who doesn't seem to understand that someone needs to work to pay the gas and water bills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How dare you not comply with the fears of a stay-at-home mom who doesn't seem to understand that someone needs to work to pay the gas and water bills.
    It's a shame that the Administration in my wife's hospital feels the same way you do. Imagine being immuno-compromised due to receiving chemotherapy and the nurse taking care of you is infected but couldn't take the time off because the hospital already suffers a short-staffing issue. Also any accrued sick time usage results in attendance occurrences that can result in termination.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Death count in Italy spiked 133 people again today. Up to 366 now. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51793619

It's in my neck of the woods now. Cherry Hill NJ just down the road from me.
    I have a confirmed case in my city as well. I’m not too worried though even though my job requires me to socialize and work with dozens of random people a day.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Well, for one, I have a job - two, actually. Second, while I understand people need to work, his actions are still irresponsible, given how the virus is twice as contagious as the flu and has a higher fatality rate. Quarantine guidelines are currently in place for a reason, and while it may be difficult for you to adhere to based on your current financial situation, you still should make a plan to quarantine yourself, should you become infected.

Now is the time to start saving some money up so you can stay home while you’re sick, as well as getting a few supplies each paycheck so you don’t have to go out.

You know, it’s this thing called being responsible and prepared?
    Do you really believe it's not going to spread? Fantasies aren't useful here.
    I've a responsibility towards myself and that's it.

Until society changes away from this shitty greed that's about it towards what I can do; keep the consumer based economy going by spending my money.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2020-03-08 at 06:04 PM.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live in the northwest suburbs more than an hour or two out from Chicago, where the first cases cropped up in Cook County (I'm in Kane). So far, nothing drastic has really happened here. Other than seeing a few people wearing masks but that's about it. No one's panic buying at the local Walmart or any of the other markets I've gone to; I went to the pool hall with my father last week and it was just another day for everyone. So it's just business as usual for me; I have my hand sanitizer (and moisturizer, because the alcohol just wrecks my skin) and take my multivitamins, but I'm relatively young (30) compared to my parents, who are in their late 60s.

They don't seem too concerned about the virus. Then again, we're on a very fixed income, I'm looking for work to get an income flowing in, and since we blow the pension checks on bills the day we get them in the mail we're lucky to have any money to go out anywhere to begin with. My only concern with this whole thing are, besides the age, the medical conditions my brother and father have; the former has arrhythmia and the latter is a heavy smoker that can't be assed to cover his mouth (and if he does, it's in his hand), and the one time I complained about it he mocked me for it and called me "paranoid". My mother has hypertension but she's been managing that pretty well following the doctor's orders. I don't have any pre-existing conditions that I'm aware of except for depression, so for the time being that puts me in the clear.

I honestly think we'll be fine here, seeing as we live in the sticks, but as a hypochondriac it's best to err on the side of caution. The folks in Chicago seem to doing just fine handling the situation, and the people that have the virus seem to be on the way to recovery.

Uh, no. I fully expect it to spread. 100%
    Then I can continue as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    People here generally have a "she'll be right" attitude. You could have a Tsunami on the way confirmed and people would be like "it'll probably stop at the beach, have a beer"

I went to the supermarket an hour ago and they had put out so much stock it was on the floor expecting high sales that wasnt really shifting like the company wanted them too. Clearly this kind of shit is amazing for business.

you should buy them and make a handy profit. even if you don't gouge you can still make 100% with shipping paid for.

got some pics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    What you gonna wipe your ass with..leaves or paper? :P
    umm with the toilet paper in stock and being manufactured?

also it can be done with rags, washed...re-used....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    And toilet paper, get as much as you can, fill your garage with it if you have to. Everybody knows in a pandemic toilet paper becomes worth its weight in gold!
    once they find out you have it....poooof...gone overnight in a marauders raid
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    you should buy them and make a handy profit. even if you don't gouge you can still make 100% with shipping paid for.

got some pics?

- - - Updated - - -

umm with the toilet paper in stock and being manufactured?

also it can be done with rags, washed...re-used....

- - - Updated - - -

once they find out you have it....poooof...gone overnight in a marauders raid
    So how are you going to get it when your town is under quarantine and workers cant go to work?

“It’s going to spread anyway so no point in following quarantine guidelines.”

That’s so fucking ignorant, dude.
    As i said before I'm not sick.
    What's so fucking ignorant is your shitty demand for people to live in fear.
    I've stated my options.
    I don't know where you live, but options in current society aren't conducive to Chinese quarantine measures.

If you want to make judgments live on a cardboard box for a few days.

Feeling good after a run...going to buy food now. It's about a quarter mile from the hospital where a presumptive case is being treated. What might the odds be that the store is crowded?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So how are you going to get it when your town is under quarantine and workers cant go to work?
    well first they don't produce it in my town, so meh to you!

second, military distribution....duh you've seen the movies during quarantine!

- - - Updated - - -

As i said before I'm not sick.
    What's so fucking ignorant is your shitty demand for people to live in fear.
    I've stated my options.
    I don't know where you live, but options in current society aren't conducive to Chinese quarantine measures.

If you want to make judgments live on a cardboard box for a few days.

Feeling good after a run...going to buy food now. It's about a quarter mile from the hospital where a presumptive case is being treated. What might the odds be that the store is crowded?
    First off people were responding to what statement you made about what you do WHEN you get sick

In the same boat as too many here; have to work.
    My best cure for when I feel I'm getting the flu is to go out and jog for a couple hours. I don't know if it'll work the same for this virus, but I try not to let much stop me.
    You then went all douche when people said you really should not be running around if you think you are sick...and then you changed gears and said "i'm not sick".

Also if you are feeling sick you could always have the food delivered, there is only a half dozen options now out there for grocery delivery including supermarkets, Walmart and target....all with full service groceries.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, it’s this thing called being responsible and prepared?
    Great.

He's not sick. Where's the issue? Should he not be working right now to save money in case he does get sick?

well first they don't produce it in my town, so meh to you!

second, military distribution....duh you've seen the movies during quarantine!

- - - Updated - - -

First off people were responding to what statement you made about what you do WHEN you get sick

You then went all douche when people said you really should not be running around if you think you are sick...and then you changed gears and said "i'm not sick".

Also if you are feeling sick you could always have the food delivered, there is only a half dozen options now out there for grocery delivery including supermarkets, Walmart and target....all with full service groceries.
    Lol you are going to depend on the military coming to your house to give you stuff you need during an emergency? Did you pay attention to Puerto rico? You remember that the trump administration is the one in charge right?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Lol you are going to depend on the military coming to your house to give you stuff you need during an emergency? Did you pay attention to Puerto rico? You remember that the trump administration is the one in charge right?
    well technically it would be state run national guard till FEMA got their heads out of mr orange's ass.....

also if you think TP is going to run dry and we will all be quarantined then yes, I also believe the us military on unicorns will deliver soft wonderful TP
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    I’m aware he’s not sick. My first reply to him was him commenting on what he does when he’s sick, and him saying he hopes that also works if he gets this virus.

No where did I suggest that he quarantine himself if he doesn’t have the virus.

- - - Updated - - -

Know the symptoms and follow the CDC’s recommendations if you think you have it: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...when-sick.html
    I'm lucky in that I have a lot of sick time built up, and my company has procedures in place to where if people get this they get paid and don't have to use their sick time. But I also recognize that's a luxury that a lot of people don't have. A lot of people in the US are looking at not paying rent or not having food if they miss even one day of work.

well technically it would be state run national guard till FEMA got their heads out of mr orange's ass.....

also if you think TP is going to run dry and we will all be quarantined then yes, I also believe the us military on unicorns will deliver soft wonderful TP
    But wouldnt that entirely depends on trump announcing an emergency that warrants that level of response. He will be denying anything is going wrong until he himself gets it and dies.

I’m not stating that everyone needs to stay in their homes, living in fear. I’m saying you should quarantine yourself if you get the virus.
    The only time i feel sick is when I get the flu. And I had that last week and shook it off in a day..
    As i understand it this virus' symptoms resemble the flu.
    So perhaps you see my perspective. And why I'll continue as I have.