15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s because they live on the Asian continent... are you saying you’ve invented a new definition for what Asian means?
    Yet everyone else is using "Asian" for a Mongoloid except for the British. Indians aren't Mongoloid.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    Mongoloid? Really now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well that went from mildly racist to horribly racist quite quickly.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Asian

And the US also considers anyone native to Asia as Asian.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid

In 2005, an article in a journal by the FBI Laboratory defined the term "Mongoloid," as the term is used in forensic hair examinations. It defined the term as, "an anthropological term designating one of the major groups of human beings originating from Asia, excluding the Indian subcontinent and including Native American Indians."[50][51]

The United States Department of Justice has approved that, for forensic hair examination and/or laboratory reports, the hair examiner may state or imply that a human hair shows "Caucasian (European Ancestry), Negroid (African Ancestry) and/or Mongoloid (Asian or Native American Ancestry)" traits, which may or may not correspond to how an individual racially identifies.[52]
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This is a forum, not a forensic hair examination.

Words have common meanings. Don't get upset when your special meaning ends up offending people.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet everyone else is using "Asian" for a Mongoloid except for the British. Indians aren't Mongoloid.
    That’s a hard yikes from me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

Words have common meanings. Don't get upset when your special meaning ends up offending people.
    Could not be a common insult from where he is from however. In Belgium it is or at least where i am from.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

Caucasoid, negroid and mongoloid are not insults when you are discussing different human phenotypes.

The ignorance of people is what upsets me.

Caucasoid, negroid and mongoloid are not insults when you are discussing different human phenotypes.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/negroid

adjective
    Anthropology. (no longer in technical use) of, relating to, or characteristic of the peoples traditionally classified as the Negro race, especially those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa.
    noun
    Older Use: Usually Offensive. a member of such peoples.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mongoloid?s=t

adjective
    resembling the Mongols.
    Anthropology. (no longer in technical use) of, relating to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, marked by prominent cheekbones, epicanthic folds about the eyes, and straight black hair, and including the Mongols, Manchus, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Annamese, Siamese, Burmese, Tibetans, and, to some extent, the Eskimos and the American Indians.
    (often lowercase) Pathology. (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive) of, affected with, or characteristic of Down syndrome.
    noun
    Anthropology. (no longer in technical use) a member of the peoples traditionally classified as the Mongoloid race.
    (usually lowercase) Pathology. (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive) a person affected with Down syndrome.
    I mean, the last time I actually saw these terms used were in a 1940's biology book I read for shits and giggles, and that book was racist as fuck. Yeah, they're racist terms that are not still used in common discussion at all.

And even references I can find to "caucasoid", which is legit the first time I've ever seen this term, are listing it as dated and no longer in use.

This isn't a 1970's anthropology discussion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/negroid

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mongoloid?s=t

I mean, the last time I actually saw these terms used were in a 1940's biology book I read for shits and giggles, and that book was racist as fuck. Yeah, they're racist terms that are not still used in common discussion at all.

And even references I can find to "caucasoid", which is legit the first time I've ever seen this term, are listing it as dated and no longer in use.

This isn't a 1970's anthropology discussion.
    I know they are archaic terms.

But mongoloid is the correct word to use when talking about "Asians" in genetic, not locational, terms - which the discussion was about in the first place - instead of clumping Indians under the same umbrella when they are genetically an entirely different phenotype.

That explains why covid-19 hasn't been deadly amongst Asians except for the British data where Indians are put under the same umbrella. Might be shocking to some people, but there are a lot of Indians in the UK and especially in the field of medicine.

15+ Year Old Account
    That explains why covid-19 hasn't been deadly amongst Asians except for the British data where Indians are put under the same umbrella. Might be shocking to some people, but there are a lot of Indians in the UK and especially in the field of medicine.
    Shouldn't the death toll in India reflect that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Shouldn't the death toll in India reflect that?
    It does.....?

But mongoloid is the correct word to use when talking about "Asians" in genetic, not locational, terms - which the discussion was about in the first place - instead of clumping Indians under the same umbrella when they are genetically an entirely different phenotype.
    This isn't a biology class. This isn't an anthropology class. This is an internet forum, and those terms are largely unused and unknown, and for those that do know them they understand their racist history and that they're unused anymore.

Please, just stop it. You may not be intending it that way, but that doesn't mean that they're not offensive or not something that folks are gonna pick up in a serious discussion.

Because India is a part of Asia.

And given that one of the best known British dishes, other than fish and chips, is chicken tikki masala, and that India's significance in British colonial history isn't exactly a secret, I don't think you're going to find a ton of folks shocked that there was a sizable population of Indian decent living in Britain.

- - - Updated - - -

It does.....?
    Uh, not really? Granted, India is faced with tons of other problems and I'm unsure how widespread testing is for the country so those factors complicate things, but apparently they have just under 400K confirmed cases and under 13K deaths.

For a country that's got 3x the population of the US, if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, then it doesn't in the slightest.

Uh, not really? Granted, India is faced with tons of other problems and I'm unsure how widespread testing is for the country so those factors complicate things, but apparently they have just under 400K confirmed cases and under 13K deaths.

For a country that's got 3x the population of the US, if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, then it doesn't in the slightest.
    India has a younger population (in the US 13% are 65 and older, in India 5% - and age seems to be the primary risk factor) and also had a much more extensive and long lockdown than the US, with allegedly around 1k deaths due to the lockdowns (starvation, police brutality, people run over by trains, etc).

Oh, and the hospitals are now overrun in parts of India and there seems to be severe underreporting even of deaths:
    https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/...ity-data/64463

However, the vitamin D effect would have been stronger in the US than in India until the summer.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-06-19 at 03:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because India is a part of Asia.

And given that one of the best known British dishes, other than fish and chips, is chicken tikki masala, and that India's significance in British colonial history isn't exactly a secret, I don't think you're going to find a ton of folks shocked that there was a sizable population of Indian decent living in Britain.
    Oh I'm fairly sure that there are plenty of such people especially on these forums.

They, and Pakistan+Bangladesh, have some of the lowest amounts of testing on the whole globe. Their infected and dead are vastly underreported.

I mean, India has 3x the population of the US, but is doing 1/20 of the testing.

They, and Pakistan+Bangladesh, have some of the lowest amounts of testing on the whole globe. Their infected and dead are vastly underreported.

I mean, India has 3x the population of the US, but is doing 1/20 of the testing.
    Ok, that's what I imagined.

But the death toll in India doesn't reflect that, as you claimed a few posts earlier. It may not be accurate, but absent any updated death tolls you have no way of actually making that claim with any weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Oh, and the hospitals are now overrun in parts of India and there seems to be severe underreporting even of deaths:
    https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/...ity-data/64463
    And there seems to be zero to little sign of it slowing down in India, either.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, that's what I imagined.

But the death toll in India doesn't reflect that, as you claimed a few posts earlier. It may not be accurate, but absent any updated death tolls you have no way of actually making that claim with any weight.
    But it does. Their data is very skewed. You can't be labeled as a coronavirus death if you haven't been tested.

Also there is this: https://science.thewire.in/health/in...ata-anomalies/

EDIT: And even if blindly just trusting the official data as the whole truth - India has more deaths than the rest of Asia combined, so there's that.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2020-06-19 at 04:14 PM.

But it does. Their data is very skewed. You can't be labeled as a coronavirus death if you haven't been tested.

Also there is this: https://science.thewire.in/health/in...ata-anomalies/
    Ok, and? That still doesn't back up the death toll reflecting that. It hypothesizes, and likely rightly, that the death toll is much higher, but without any actual data to back that up it's just that, a hypothesis.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart

These words have arbitrary bounds and are unusable in precise sense. Word "Caucasian" means "white person" in USA (hence Elegiac's repeated "caucasity" word), but it means "brown person" in Russia - because Caucasians, from Caucasus, are a highly visible minority in European populations.

More on the bigotry front, is there some taboo against mentioning Qatar or some wider group they belong to? More importantly, NYC peaked under 3% cases, Qatar peaked at 3% cases, do you think it indicates the "soft cap" of herd immunity when R value goes down enough to slow the spread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't the modern terms used "Caucasian", "African American", "Asian", "Hispanic" etc?
    Basically the same thing, packaged a bit nicer.
    CSI Television series uses them all the time.

I would not use mongoloid myself, usually people use that term to describe a person suffering from Trisomy 21 in an insulting way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    These words have arbitrary bounds and are unusable in precise sense. Word "Caucasian" means "white person" in USA (hence Elegiac's repeated "caucasity" word), but it means "brown person" in Russia - because Caucasians, from Caucasus, are a highly visible minority in European populations.
    Caucasoid =/= Caucasian.