10+ Year Old Account
    Posted from a paywall-free site without further comment.

More COVID-19 deaths were reported in Florida and Texas over the span of a month than total deaths caused by hurricanes over a span of 20 years, a stark reminder that the coronavirus pandemic is not over.

Over the past month and into July, Florida saw roughly 959 deaths and Texas reported 1,097 deaths related to COVID-19. The death toll amounts to 2,056 between both states, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services and Florida Department of Health.

The combined number of deaths in Florida and Texas surpasses the total number of deaths caused by hurricane-related incidents throughout the entire United States over a 20-year span: 1,207, according to data gathered from the National Weather Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Tornadoes killed 1,468 people across the U.S. over that same 20-year span, according to the NWS and NOAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Posted from a paywall-free site without further comment.
    I guess those lives matter a lot less than all the property damage caused by those hurricanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why isn't your employer providing washing stations then, especially given the ongoing pandemic? I'd pressure them to provide you with more ways to stay safe while at work to help prevent these kinds of issues.
    I'd be willing to bet that if asked, those porta-john washing station deals are what count as them doing their part. And at the end of the day, I try to act like someone in the construction industry would; I may joke about it and gripe a bit, but I'll live. I can just keep wipes in my Jeep.

It just seemed humorous to me today, not having wipes and no access to a place to wash my hands at my food establishment of choice. I thought, "Isn't cleanliness and safety the whole point of all this?" Almost as if to say, "We offer no place to wash your hands - Doing our part to keep you safe from germs!" It's just kinda funny.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2020-07-08 at 11:59 PM.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/b...-briefing.html

Congrats Arizona, Florida, and South Carolina, for being the 3 locations with the highest number of new coronavirus cases per capita in the past week.

U S A! U S A! We're number one, two, and three, baby. WE GET ALL THE MEDALS!

Deaths have started rising it seems, hopefully its a trend that doesn't keep up and it's just a backlog from the holiday weekend...but i kind of doubt it. Spoke to a friend of mine who works in a hospital in Texas, he said the place is completely, 100% packed. It's one thing to hear about it online, but quite another to hear about it directly from someone working there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Deaths have started rising it seems
    Yes, but thankfully per capita they're still lower than earlier in the outbreak. Otherwise, we'd be seeing 3-5k days by now. We might, but right now we're still sub-1k

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/...rs/5401147002/

1/6 lawmakers in Mississippi have coronavirus, more people still need testing so it will grow.

They all got together for votes, didn't wear masks, and went against public health concerns regarding them..

The number of coronavirus cases linked to an outbreak at the Capitol has grown to 36, which includes 26 legislators, according to the state's top health official.

Many politicians flouted recommendations to wear a mask inside the Capitol in recent weeks. Now, about one in six of Mississippi state lawmakers have tested positive for the coronavirus.
    The leaders of both chambers — Speaker Philip Gunn and Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann — have tested positive for coronavirus. On Wednesday, the Enterprise Journal reported that Rep. Sam Mims, R-McComb, had tested positive for coronavirus. Mims chairs the House Public Health Committee.
    Mississippi... never disappoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/...rs/5401147002/

1/6 lawmakers in Mississippi have coronavirus, more people still need testing so it will grow.

They all got together for votes, didn't wear masks, and went against public health concerns regarding them..

Mississippi... never disappoints.
    I would say that they'll probably learn from this, but we all know they fucking won't. And to hope otherwise is to hope for a miracle.

One day we'll have the technology and time to go back and literally figure out how many Americans needlessly died because some people were too fucking soft and self-centered to follow medical advice and others treated it as a purely partisan political issue.

Thousands, if not tens of thousands, of Americans have died because of the actions of people like those above. They're literally responsible for killing people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Just watch the help be a hurricane >.>

Cant overcrowd places if those places are destroyed.
    Watch what you ask for. Remember texans held a day of prayer during droughts back in the 2000s for something to be done. Their prayers were answered. The western part of the state then had fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Yes, but thankfully per capita they're still lower than earlier in the outbreak. Otherwise, we'd be seeing 3-5k days by now. We might, but right now we're still sub-1k
    Thankfully for now it seems to be the case that they're lower. I suspect based on pneumonia deaths this year vs previous years in Texas in particular that deaths are higher than we think but even factoring that in, it's no where near early days of this. Just gotta hope the hospitals can manage at this point.

With mask regulations coming in a lot of places, do you think its time they start regulating the type of mask as well? I mean, lets be real here. Not all masks are created equal, or are even effective. Some more cheaply made masks simply lower the distance from 6ft to 2ft. Others will get damp and just be a walking pool of virus, waiting to be spread.

1 thing is, I think our culture in the US could benefit from Japan. You saw them with masks long before now since they wore them anytime they got sick to begin with. I think we could stand to learn from that lesson, especially considering how often we are at work sick because we simply cannot afford to stay home.

I do believe we need more information on masks out there. They need to stop blindly yelling about wearing a mask and start spreading the information on How to wear a mask, how to make it effective and, most importantly, what type should be worn.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    With mask regulations coming in a lot of places, do you think its time they start regulating the type of mask as well?
    Probably not, at least in the USA. Hospitals are still suffering from PPE issues. With the federal government continuing to be useless at best and actively larcenous if you aren't that lucky.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I wonder what the stats for the US are right now in terms of unexpected deaths compared to reported covid numbers. With the amount of denying going on I'm having a hard time not expecting there to be a lot of fudging of numbers and thousands of sudden unexplained pneumonia deaths or something.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I wonder what the stats for the US are right now in terms of unexpected deaths compared to reported covid numbers. With the amount of denying going on I'm having a hard time not expecting there to be a lot of fudging of numbers and thousands of sudden unexplained pneumonia deaths or something.
    Available evidence suggests that they're being significantly undercounted.

From March through May, there were about 122k more deaths than normal, compared to 95k reported COVID deaths over that time period. And one would expect certain causes of death (e.g. traffic fatalities) to be lower than normal currently, so things might be even worse than this study posits.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2767980
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-07-09 at 09:29 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Anyone else expecting a Fauci "resignation" this week? He's being more and more blunt about the truth of how bad this is and we all know Trump doesn't like truth tellers in his administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So it's the bubonic plage now is it?

God, what I hate about this is the numerous "media" platforms picking up on anything disease related...
    For the record, cases of bubonic plague have been found recently. In China, of all places. Go figure.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/a...scn/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53325988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    For the record, cases of bubonic plague have been found recently. In China, of all places. Go figure.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/a...scn/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53325988
    I know. But this is just media capitilizing on panic

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I know. But this is just media capitilizing on panic
    Scaremongering is bad and generally speaking mass media is guilty as charged when it comes to it... But most if this thread tells me the US is still not scared enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Scaremongering is bad and generally speaking mass media is guilty as charged when it comes to it... But most if this thread tells me the US is still not scared enough.
    I think the two might be related. We had so much success with previous outbreaks, that people might have become jaded. If GOP didn’t need to win midterms, would there have been scaremongering about Ebola? We have a segment of the population that have been spooked that Obama would bring a plague for years... for some reason, the same people who were scaring them, were the same ones acting that covid is just scaremongering, like Ebola.

It’s like a snake eating it’s own tail... The logic of... ‘Remember how Obama needed to be impeached over Ebola? Covid is democrats doing the same to Trump.’
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Anyone else expecting a Fauci "resignation" this week? He's being more and more blunt about the truth of how bad this is and we all know Trump doesn't like truth tellers in his administration.
    Fauci has been the head of NIAID for 36 years (and 6 presidents)... I don't see him going anywhere.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils