Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not really. We still have racism and milkshakes, they'd be pretty chill.

You were willing to join the Armed Forces to "serve your country" but won't wear a piece of fabric for a small portion of your day to do the same, huh?

You're right, at the moment the death toll is currently only in excess of Korea and Vietnam combined in the span of half a year.
    140k 18-40 year olds? No? oh ok. Please, tell me who those 140k mostly make up? I want to hear it from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Times of crisis and great need where every-day Americans are called upon to make personal sacrifices for the sake of the nation. I'll say that's a pretty fitting comparison.
    Based on the responses to an actual domestic threat I'm thinking that if the US actually had been within striking distance of Germany or Japan the war would not have gone as well. Seems it's very hard to get folks in this country to do anything unless it involves hating foreigners. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    140k 18-40 year olds? No? oh ok. Please, tell me who those 140k mostly make up? I want to hear it from you.
    People.

Or do you think that because someone has a health condition or is old that their life is less valuable, Mister Pro-Lifer? Why exactly did you bother enlisting if you don't actually give a shit about this country's welfare or that of its inhabitants?

I suspect it has something to do with aforementioned difficulty in getting Americans to care about things without hate for "the other" as a side dish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

A 30 year old man in Texas thought the same thing. Here are his last words:

Not seeing anything about a preexisting condition, either.

Care to narrow it down a bit so we can pull up the COVID statistics for your area and prove you wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Law of big numbers, hun.

Besides, 1% of 320 million is 3.2 million deaths. "The whole party didn't die so it's not an issue" is moronic thinking.

Once again, I'd better not catch you saying a word about 9/11 in the future. I've got this thread bookmarked for September, in fact.
    Why do you keep bringing up 9/11? Please look through my post history, I have never complained about it. I don't care about other people, remember? I think it's insane how long it took to rebuild and we have all that land in a prime area we don't use. Had it been up to me reconstruction would have happened years sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about other people, remember?
    If you're out and out admitting it I can dismiss your opinions the same way I dismiss that of any nihilist or solipsist, so okay then. Problem solved.

This is a thread for discussion of public health, please take your "me" talk to somewhere where Cruor is not off topic.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Based on the responses to an actual domestic threat I'm thinking that if the US actually had been within striking distance of Germany or Japan the war would not have gone as well. Seems it's very hard to get folks in this country to do anything unless it involves hating foreigners. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

People.

Or do you think that because someone has a health condition or is old that their life is less valuable, Mister Pro-Lifer? Why exactly did you bother enlisting if you don't actually give a shit about this country's welfare or that of its inhabitants?

I suspect it has something to do with aforementioned difficulty in getting Americans to care about things without hate for "the other" as a side dish.
    HAHAHAHA you are hilarious man..... you prove my point on how ignorant many people in the left are, you spout your opinions without knowing the issue. You are like the youtube videos where they trick liberals by saying ideas Bernie or Obama has but saying they are Trumps, (or vice versa) then they stand there looking stupid when they know the truth. I am not only pro abortion, I think abortion should be enforced on people who aren't stable enough to have a child. I am non religious and think religion has held us back. I am ultra pro gun, I think crime should be punished much more harshly, I hate welfare.... I'd go on but I'm sure a mod would find an infraction if I did. Trump is the best choice out of the options. You need to choose what is most important to you (less taxes, pro guns, making the left upset) and deal with the parts you don't agree with in a two party system.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2020-07-17 at 01:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHAHA you are hilarious man..... you prove my point on how ignorant many people in the left are, you spout your opinions without knowing the issue. You are like the youtube videos where they trick liberals by saying ideas Bernie or Obama has but saying they are Trumps, (or vice versa) then they strand there looking stupid when they know the truth. I am not only pro abortion, I think abortion should be enforced on people who aren't stable enough to have a child. I am non religious and think religion has held us back. I am ultra pro gun, I think crime should be punished much more harshly, I hate welfare.... I'd go on but I'm sure a mod would find an infraction if I did. Trump is the best choice out of the options. You need to choose what is most important to you (less taxes, pro guns, making the left upset) and deal with the parts you don't agree with in a two party system.
    There's a word for what you're describing. Such people are never to be taken seriously in discussion of policy because they are incapable of viewing anything from anothers' lens by definition.

Seems we also have a plague of that, as well as corona.

making the left upset
    Damn, at least you admit that some of your priorities are batshit insane. I won't take issue with anything else, but this factoring anywhere into a serious discussion of politics and important issues is literally why a not insignificant part of this country has gone straight down the tube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, at least you admit that some of your priorities are batshit insane. I won't take issue with anything else, but this factoring anywhere into a serious discussion of politics and important issues is literally why a not insignificant part of this country has gone straight down the tube.
    The fun part is when these people bitch about tyranny but then don't seem to get that weaponising the government against a particular group of people is exactly that.

So they actually like tyranny, just when they're in charge. I didn't think they'd take "mask off" so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Looking back 800 pages is a trip
    Indeed.

I'll admit, I was quite foolish to expect... well, anything approaching even the barest semblance of competency... from the Trump administration on the matter.

I assumed that the CDC would lead and instruct people with competency... which they did. I did not expect Trump to make the whole thing a political issue, and for people to follow his suit in fucking the whole thing up, rather than listening to actual experts.

I should have followed my own advice... if you think the bar can't get any lower with Trump... well, you messed up in assuming there was a bar.

If we had shut down and enforced masks, lock-step nationwide, for four weeks waaaay back at the beginning of this thing, rather than having Trump pitch it as a democrat hoax and have this rolling, piecemeal approach and then have the republican party insist on restarting the economy before the wave had actually ended, then yes, we'd likely be seeing this thing on its way out right about now.

But that's what you get when your leader is a malicious idiot. This whole thing could have been avoided.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-07-17 at 01:14 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I have always admitted my views on this forum, as far as they are allowed to be. Does a guy making people upset who would make this country unlivable to me if they had their way bring me joy? Yes. Are you saying a large amount of people on the far left wouldn't be happy if Trump loses in 2020 and wouldn't rub it in the face of people on the right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always admitted my views on this forum, as far as they are allowed to be. Does a guy making people upset who would make this country unlivable to me if they had their way bring me joy? Yes. Are you saying a large amount of people on the far left wouldn't be happy if Trump loses in 2020 and wouldn't rub it in the face of people on the right?
    Key difference is people on the far left aren't advocating policies that entail the disenfranchisement or oppression of others. Meanwhile, people on the right are actively spreading contagion by virtue of their beliefs.

There's a word for what you're describing. Such people are never to be taken seriously in discussion of policy because they are incapable of viewing anything from anothers' lens by definition.

Seems we also have a plague of that, as well as corona.
    Are you going to go through my post history and admit you were wrong? Link my pro life and angry 9/11 posts please. Or did you ASSUME my views!?

On topic, COVID 19 is overblown, you claim to care about people but don't care about all the people shutting down the country hurts badly, which is like 100 times the amount of already old and sick who have died.

- - - Updated - - -

Key difference is people on the far left aren't advocating policies that entail the disenfranchisement or oppression of others. Meanwhile, people on the right are actively spreading contagion by virtue of their beliefs.
    Tell me the exact policy or law that "disenfranchises or oppresses" others? Isn't wanting to tax me into oblivion and not letting me have guns oppressing me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to go through my post history and admit you were wrong? Link my pro life and angry 9/11 posts please. Or did you ASSUME my views!?
    Yep. I did, and I'm perfectly comfortable with assuming the views of someone who has admitted they don't care about others and therefore are exempt from the Golden Rule.

On topic, COVID 19 is overblown, you claim to care about people but don't care about all the people shutting down the country hurts badly, which is like 100 times the amount of already old and sick who have died.
    Only because the country doesn't have adequate systems in place to be able to weather a public health crisis. That's unique to the US by virtue of its employer controlled healthcare and system built on housing scarcity. People can't afford to quarantine and have nowhere to do it.

The same can't be said of other countries. For reference, here is a picture of one of the hotel rooms currently being used by the South Korean government to quarantine cases of infection.

The US is living in a dark age.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHAHA you are hilarious man..... you prove my point on how ignorant many people in the left are, you spout your opinions without knowing the issue. You are like the youtube videos where they trick liberals by saying ideas Bernie or Obama has but saying they are Trumps, (or vice versa) then they stand there looking stupid when they know the truth. I am not only pro abortion, I think abortion should be enforced on people who aren't stable enough to have a child. I am non religious and think religion has held us back. I am ultra pro gun, I think crime should be punished much more harshly, I hate welfare.... I'd go on but I'm sure a mod would find an infraction if I did. Trump is the best choice out of the options. You need to choose what is most important to you (less taxes, pro guns, making the left upset) and deal with the parts you don't agree with in a two party system.
    "well I mean Trump completely bungled the response to a global pandemic he worked hand over fist to paint as a partisan hoax, ignored the advice of every medical expert on the matter, touted fake cures that endangered people's lives without an ounce of medical ground to stand upon, and had peaceful protestors assaulted during a pandemic that caused the deaths of 100,000 Americans... but he says he wants to lower taxes, hasn't said anything about guns, and boy does the left just hate him for some reason... so weigh the pros and cons if you must, but he's my man!"

Yeah that's... what's the word...

pathetic? I'm going to go with "pathetic."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me the exact policy or law that "disenfranchises or oppresses" others? Isn't wanting to tax me into oblivion and not letting me have guns oppressing me?
    Nope, because your welfare is harmed by neither. You don't know what oppression looks like.

Speaking of war, I was in the army, how about you?
    Sorry, can you specify why exactly you were in the army? What's the goal of the Armed Forces?

Yep. I did, and I'm perfectly comfortable with assuming the views of someone who has admitted they don't care about others and therefore are exempt from the Golden Rule.

Only because the country doesn't have adequate systems in place to be able to weather a public health crisis. That's unique to the US by virtue of its employer controlled healthcare and system built on housing scarcity. People can't afford to quarantine and have nowhere to do it.

The same can't be said of other countries. For reference, here is a picture of one of the hotel rooms currently being used by the South Korean government to quarantine cases of infection.

The US is living in a dark age.
    US also has 6.5 times the population and much, much more land to cover. Makes things a tad more difficult. From my reading, the Hospital ship that was brought into NYC was barely even used, if at all, so what is your issue? Are they just leaving people on the sidewalk? No?

10+ Year Old Account
    US also has 6.5 times the population and much, much more land to cover. Makes things a tad more difficult. From my reading, the Hospital ship that was brought into NYC was barely even used, if at all, so what is your issue? Are they just leaving people on the sidewalk? No?
    The US has 6.5 times the population and twenty times the GDP. Maybe you could find money to do that in the tax cuts for the rich, or the PPP funds that you lot distributed to small businesses like the Catholic Church?

"From your reading" - go ahead and post "your reading", so we can see it.

The US has 6.5 times the population and twenty times the GDP. Maybe you could find money to do that in the tax cuts for the rich, or the PPP funds that you lot distributed to small businesses like the Catholic Church?

"From your reading" - go ahead and post "your reading", so we can see it.
    I'm still waiting on you to post hospitals so overfull people are on the street in the USA, or how Trump is oppressing people. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/n...s-comfort.html NY Times is a far left source BTW, just for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting on you to post hospitals so overfull people are on the street in the USA, or how Trump is oppressing people.
    Right after you post that the hospital ship was "barely used, if even at all".

You don't get to demand citations and then weasel out of your own, hun.

People are certainly going to be on the street because of Trump, though. Also are you really gonna play the 'how is Trump bad' game when y'all are literally running concentration camps and disappearing CDC data to make the coronavirus numbers look better?