Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Nothing in this contradicts the graph. Which was supposed to be reassuring by the way lol! That we aren't Italy (because we're not).
    True. Italy has managed to slow down the numbers, the US haven't - so the US numbers now grow faster than in Italy.

But the numbers are fairly meaningless as testing is limited in both countries.

The point wasn't that the graph was "wrong" just that it was misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble - but here we have official order to use masks when going outside from the government.

I'll take their word over your bullshit any day, pal.

And no, you don't need to use N95 mask, you can just use standard simple masks. You do it not for yourself, but for the others.
    simple mask? What is a simple mask?

How is a simple mask going to filter out particles 125 nm in size?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    True. Italy has managed to slow down the numbers, the US haven't - so the US numbers now grow faster than in Italy.

But the numbers are fairly meaningless as testing is limited in both countries.

The point wasn't that the graph was "wrong" just that it was misleading.
    If numbers are limited, we should see the % of tests that come back positive
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Antibody testing or antibody treatment? Both things would be yuge.
    https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...antibody-trial

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Whats the probability atm for him to win the election? Considering that in a bad case scenario, we will be released from this nightmare in august-september?
    His chances of winning are actually better than before as much as I hate to say it, his approval rating is at 49%. The virus also leans in his favor as democrats take the virus seriously and most republicans think it's the flu so they will show up to polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And I'm only speaking of the US...so stop your nonsense already.
    I swear it seems to me that you're disappointed that more people aren't dead in the US by now...
    Dead people are not good for spreading the virus.

If China is hiding the number, I am not surprised that one billion people carry this virus by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this floating around, posted by a medical guy on Twitter. Hopefully eases some concerns here in the states that our isolation is working and to keep it up.

That chart is disingenuous in that in uses a per capita normalization on the y-axis, but no such normalization on the x-axis.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    simple mask? What is a simple mask?

How is a simple mask going to filter out particles 125 nm in size?
    It does not matter, the idea is simple - to reduce the damage done when a person who is sick sneezes. It's literally a case of blocking 0% of the spray and letting it rip all over the place or a good amount of spray already even with a simple cloth mask.

I'm not sure why you lot need to be so edgy about it. It's not all or nothing situation. Even a simple cloth mask is already blocking a lot of shit you sneeze out and even better if you use surgical mask, which is really not short in supply and was designed exactly for that.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-04-02 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Dead people are not good for spreading the virus.

If China is hiding the number, I am not surprised that one billion people carry this virus by now.
    We know that China don't hide large numbers, stop spreading such propaganda.

The reason we know is that many persons in the west know people in China and there are not massive reports of Chinese friends disappearing.

A treatment. Nice
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It does not matter, the idea is simple - to reduce the damage done when a person who is sick sneezes. It's literally a case of blocking 0% of the spray and letting it rip all over the place or a good amount of spray already even with a simple cloth mask.

I'm not sure why you lot need to be so edgy about it. It's not all or nothing situation.
    what is "edgy" about asking for clarification on a simple mask?

Seems like if anything this would prevent a bit, but would also give a very large sense of false protection and might cause more harm then good.
    You not see that?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what is "edgy" about asking for clarification on a simple mask?

Seems like if anything this would prevent a bit, but would also give a very large sense of false protection and might cause more harm then good.
    You not see that?
    You are given dime a dozen of clarifications, it's 2020 - use bloody google and common sense.

You are given all the reasons in this thread already, so why play dumb? Yes, simple cloth masks even scarves and definitely surgical masks are good practice for everyone to use exactly for that one reason alone - if you are sick and unaware you reduce the amount of said particles you release significantly this way. In this situation every bit you can do helps, so just do it.

It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That chart is disingenuous in that in uses a per capita normalization on the y-axis, but no such normalization on the x-axis.
    It doesn't change the outcome of the data. This continues to be a bizarre gripe.

Not only that, but considering how quickly it ripped through Italy and how long (2 months) it took to reach 100 cases in the US, acquiescing to your complaint would skew the US even lower.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2020-04-02 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even more antibodies found, with a potential vaccine on the horizon. Trials will require a year though.

https://wjactv.com/news/local/upmc-u...vid-19-vaccine

15+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't change the outcome of the data. This continues to be a bizarre gripe.

Not only that, but considering how quickly it ripped through Italy and how long (2 months) it took to reach 100 cases in the US, acquiescing to your complaint would skew the US even lower.
    You mean how long it took US to start testing? The shit has been spreading there for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You mean how long it took US to start testing? The shit has been spreading there for months.
    That's a valid gripe.

I appreciate you are trying to post good news in a quite depressing thread, but still you need to look at what you are posting. You are incorrect in saying the data wont change. By changing both axes to a per captia (or both to outright if you wish), what you will do is translate the US curve somewhat. So instead of it rising underneath the other two , it now rises to the left and therefore possibly higher. I'd have to run the number to see where exactly it would move to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm certain I can speak for everyone when I say I'd rather not have 70.000.000 dead.
    Problem here is, do we have any choice? Lockdowns don't work, social distancing doesn't, these 2 only slow the virus.

Second problem here is the vaccine, we won't have any for the next 6 months, and when it comes out, the demand for it will be so hight and the production so low (around 100 000 a day) that most people in the world won't get any vaccine in the next 3-4 years.

Also, most med's currently under sars-cov2 testing, will take at least another 2-3 month's to finish tests, and once we finally discover one that works, their production will be controlled by 2-3 countries in the world, and we will have the same exact problem as in the vaccine.

I don't like it, the problem here is that i can't do a shit against this systhem. And no, there won't be 70 million people dying from coronavirus, you foirgetting that easely 25% of cases are assimptomatic.

I have have shifted from being a lockdown supporter (and i still support most of this systhem) to being someone that supports her imunity, i just don't support all people to be infected at the same time, so lockdowns must keep being a thing.

Most epidimiologists already support the herd imunity idea, because they know its spreading too fast, and that there won't be any med's for it, or when those med come out, there won't be enought to treat all of the ill people.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Problem here is, do we have any choice? Lockdowns don't work, social distancing doesn't, these 2 only slow the virus.

Second problem here is the vaccine, we won't have any for the next 6 months, and when it comes out, the demand for it will be so hight and the production so low (around 100 000 a day) that most people in the world won't get any vaccine in the next 3-4 years.

Also, most med's currently under sars-cov2 testing, will take at least another 2-3 month's to finish tests, and once we finally discover one that works, their production will be controlled by 2-3 countries in the world, and we will have the same exact problem as in the vaccine.

I don't like it, the problem here is that i can't do a shit against this systhem. And no, there won't be 70 million people dying from coronavirus, you foirgetting that easely 25% of cases are assimptomatic.

I have have shifted from being a lockdown supporter (and i still support most of this systhem) to being someone that supports her imunity, i just don't support all people to be infected at the same time, so lockdowns must keep being a thing.

Most epidimiologists already support the herd imunity idea, because they know its spreading too fast, and that there won't be any med's for it, or when those med come out, there won't be enought to treat all of the ill people.
    The main point of lock downs is to prevent hospitals overloads and loss of important people like doctors, nurses and first responders.

These professions are not easily replaced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in this contradicts the graph. Which was supposed to be reassuring by the way lol! That we aren't Italy (because we're not). Instead people are picking at details that don't change the underlying data in any significant way. It's weird, but whatever.
    It's about being correct, nothing else.

To account for the difference in per capita rates, the US should be compared with a starting point of 550 cases, not 100, since the US is 5.5x the population of Italy.

That amounts to a leftward shift of 6 days (100 cases on 3/2 vs. 541 cases on 3/8).

A 6-day shift puts the US currently almost exactly in the same spot as Italy was at our point in the curve. We'd still be below Spain's curve, however.

EDIT: Honestly, Spain's data should be shifted one day to the right, also, as they're smaller than Italy.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2020-04-02 at 07:31 PM.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils