Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Anybody else honestly believe WoD was better?

The problem with WoD is that it had little content. But the content it did have was miles better than the anti-fun shit in BfA that feels soulless and with the sole purpose of increasing /played time metrics.

Off the top of my head, WoD was better because:

The classes were better in WoD. Both how they felt to play and how deep they were, and how different they were from one another. Now we have standardized trash that feels the same. With the GCD change it's even more annoying and tedious.

WoW was always grindy, but even in WoD somehow the grinds felt much less tedious and they were more rewarding. In BfA they feel pointless, unrewarding and plain awful.

Timegating was already present but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, with timegates within timegates on top of timegates.

RNG wasn't as bad as it is now. RNG is straight up worse than in mobile games now. Hell, with the cancer of 8.3 and the way corrupted gear is wrapped within many layers of RNG (right tier, right effect, right slot etc...), we could say the RNG now is worse than ever.

Even the zones and exploration had more to it. They were already pretty much soulless quest hubs back then, but now they're literally just empty worlds with good art (yeah yeah good job art team).

The story was already a clusterfuck so I guess they're equally shitty in this department. But I do remember enjoying it more back then, but that's probably just me being jaded by now.

And the so-called "content" that BfA has is shit. Island expeditions, warfronts etc... are just shit, pure shit, it's not even subjective, they're not fun or worth doing. It feels like they learned from WoD that they need to add content, but this company is so incompetent it doesn't actually know what good content is.

Short answer, no.

Long answer :

Raids : BRF was good. BoD was better imo. Overall I would say BfA raids are more enjoyable

Dungeon : I enjoyed WoD dungeons. But lacking mythic + they became irrelevant quickly

Leveling/Questing : About the same for me on both expansions. I guess overall I like the theme of Zandalar/Kul Tiras a little better

Class design : Both are pretty terrible and stale. WoD classes were way overpruned. A few specs might of felt better but I would not say that was not the norm. There’s no winner in this category imo.

Grind : BfA takes grinding to the extreme. It’s the least alt friend expansion to date. So I would agree any expansion is better in this regard

Extra systems : Island Expeditions and Warfronts are total duds. But Garrisons and Trashcan were actually painful.

Story : BfA story is pretty bad minus the Jaina arc. WoD was meme levels of terrible. The whole alternative history story felt pointless and was impossible to be invested in.

So overall no, I can’t say WoD is better.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2020-02-07 at 01:29 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    WoD was way better than BfA.

Classes were much interesting to play with way larger action bars/icons/skills and raids were amazing, especially BRF. In addition, garrisons were much more interesting than the shit we have on BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must be drunk if you think WoD was better than BfA.

Elemental for me felt worse on WoD than it does in BfA, not to mention there was nothing else to do other than apexis farming, ashran and raids.

Nothing will ever be as bad as WoD, I hope.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

*sigh* i knew these will come up.

No it was not better. Raids were good (raids are not the problem in BfA) Garrison was horribly stupid mechanic that sucked the life out of the world.

And that was basically it. Not much else to do. Challenge Mode. Ashran was not really playable for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    WOD was the most casual/alt-friendly xpack in Wow's history. At least after release of 6.2, when all that flying removal nonsense had gone away. That was more than enough for me. Strange thing. Xpack, that had the least amount of content -> the biggest activity during xpack for me. I've never consumed whole xpack's content before that time.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Yeah yeah we get it.
    [Current expansion] is the worst thing,and [Not current expansion] was so much better.

My opinion is that the stuff they did well (Regions, Dungeons) are better in BfA.
    But when it comes to raiding (or gearing up, doing dailies), I enjoyed the time playing WoD much more than BfA. It felt more satisfying without all the grinds and the raids were amazing.
    For me WoD was slightly better because of the fun I still had that BfA now lacks for me. Warfronts and Isle Expeditions just aren't fun content for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was definitely better, people hated it (myself included, especially toward the end) but we didn't know how awful WoW could really be. BFA showed me that things can always be worse.
    WoD was indeed pretty bad, but not BfA bad, that's a new standard.

Different but equal flavors of ass

10+ Year Old Account
    Wod had the garrison

Bfa has class design.

Those are negatives

I was happy with WoD. Sure, there wasn't much to do besides raid, but I actually liked that.

BFA drove me away before 8.2 because of all the soulless crap you had to do to keep up in order to raid. I quite frankly don't have the time for it anymore.

I'm much more a fan of the FFXIV model where I can play the game for a bit, do other things with my life, then come back to the game without feeling like I've dug a giant hole for myself and have to grind WQs and M+ and whatnot to catch up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were a raider, or did PvP, i could see one thinking that WoD was better. If you were someone (the majority) who didn't actively participate in either, then you lacked any kind of meaningful content. There was nothing to do when you logged on, you could check your garrison but that is it. No M+ so dungeons were pointless to do until Mythic came out late in the cycle.

I disagree completely. WoD is still the only expansion to make me quit this game, while I've stayed subbed during BfA.

WoD classes didn't at all feel different to me than they do now in BfA. Both lacked debt. My main at the time was a Warrior. Anyone remember WoD Arms?...

I don't see an actual difference in zone design between WoD and BfA.

RNG wasn't as bad as the current corruption system or how titanforging was, true.

Even when BfA's lore is bad, WoD's lore is so much worse.

I honestly don't remember the grind that was present in WoD. I guess that's because I quit.

I agree that BfA isn't great, but it has enough going for it that can keep me interested. WoD was raiding and standing in my garrison all day. BfA has me doing M+, Visions, Islands (not the best content, but content nonetheless) and WQs (again, it's something).

I personally like BfA better, just barely, but I can see why people would like WoD more.

WoD had better class design, raiding, and gear systems. BfA's gearing is a hilarious abomination of systems upon systems and shallow class design. WoD wasn't perfect on any of those levels, but it definitely didn't reach the level of shittiness BfA did.
    I also feel like people kind of exaggerate how bad WoD's lore was. Yeah it was time travel bullshit, yeah the Legion stuff made no sense, and yeah the whole ordeal with Grim made zero sense but the expansion also had some of the best lore I've seen in WoW in some places. Frostfire and Shadowmoon were both genuinely enjoyable experiences to me, and Spires of Arak still remains my favorite zone to quest in to this day. In an alternate WoD (heh) I think the expansion could've been excellent, with a .2 patch to flesh out the story and a slightly different ending.

On the other hand, BfA had one whole patch more than WoD, and IMO Mechagon and N'zoth invasions are both better than Tanaan Jungle ever was. I won't defend the lore of BfA though, it genuinely made me totally lose interest in the world of Azeroth. It's such a shallow retread that it almost seems shameless.

WoD was the first expansion where I truly unsubscribed for several months. BFA I've remained subbed but I've played way less than I did in Legion.

I think people really do forget how terrible WoD was. It was literally half an expansion. There was no endgame outside of raiding, heroics were dead. PvP was terrible as it is every single expansion anyway, no matter how much people like to say otherwise. Ashran was unpopular and poorly implemented. Apexis dailies were beyond pointless. There were only 3 raids. People sat in their garrisons and ruined the economy with out of control inflation. 6.1. is objectively one of the worst patches WoW has ever had on the same level as the voice chat patch. WoW had truly become a facebook game where you sort your garrison mission checklist then leave.

People on here and reddit love circlejerking about how the ArT wAs AmAzInG and that ThE rAiDs WeRe ThE bEsT wE eVeR gOt, but neither justify or save an entire expansion. You can search on reddit how many times recently people have talked about how pretty BFA looks even though it's a shit expansion. Like just say it's bad and go... you don't have to try and appear objective.

You can talk about class design being better, but BFA is so bad in that regard that it's not exactly hard to beat. Hell, Legion's classes were better than BFA's. You also won't play your class if there's absolutely nothing to do.
    Last edited by Jamie081; 2020-02-07 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The problem with WoD is that it had little content. But the content it did have was miles better than the anti-fun shit in BfA that feels soulless and with the sole purpose of increasing /played time metrics.

Off the top of my head, WoD was better because:

The classes were better in WoD. Both how they felt to play and how deep they were, and how different they were from one another. Now we have standardized trash that feels the same. With the GCD change it's even more annoying and tedious.

WoW was always grindy, but even in WoD somehow the grinds felt much less tedious and they were more rewarding. In BfA they feel pointless, unrewarding and plain awful.

Timegating was already present but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, with timegates within timegates on top of timegates.

RNG wasn't as bad as it is now. RNG is straight up worse than in mobile games now. Hell, with the cancer of 8.3 and the way corrupted gear is wrapped within many layers of RNG (right tier, right effect, right slot etc...), we could say the RNG now is worse than ever.

Even the zones and exploration had more to it. They were already pretty much soulless quest hubs back then, but now they're literally just empty worlds with good art (yeah yeah good job art team).

The story was already a clusterfuck so I guess they're equally shitty in this department. But I do remember enjoying it more back then, but that's probably just me being jaded by now.

And the so-called "content" that BfA has is shit. Island expeditions, warfronts etc... are just shit, pure shit, it's not even subjective, they're not fun or worth doing. It feels like they learned from WoD that they need to add content, but this company is so incompetent it doesn't actually know what good content is.
    I am seriously shocked you can say these things with a straight face. WoD had next to no content compared to BFA, next to no story, fewer raids, fewer dungeons, no Mythic + feature, no WQs to do something when you are not in dungeons every minute of your play time.

You are unhappy with BFA, we get it, many people are and they are sooo sooo vocal about it. Every day 10 people open threads about how bad BFA is and how bad Shadowlands will be, we get it, you hate the game and by spreading these nonsensical comparisons you hope to make other people hate the game as well.

We heard you. We can feel your hate. We. Just. Do. Not. Care.

If you hate the game, go away, find something else to do and haunt another games forum. Play SWTOR and enjoy all the massive content they added in their new "expansion", play TSWL and enjoy paying for everything you want to do there, play Final Fantasy and dance with Moogles, whatever, just stop lurking these forums if all you bring is "everything is so bad now, I want to go back to vanilla, boo hoo".